Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

No Man's Sky Patch Plans

This post has details on a version 1.3 patch that's "coming soon" to No Man's Sky, Hello Games' space exploration adventure. Sean Murray explains their relative silence over the year since it was released is because they've been working on a bit update. Here's the plan:

Itís been a year since No Manís Sky first released, and itís been an exciting, intense and emotional year for us at Hello Games. We have been quiet, but we have been listening intently.

Weíve spent that year working hard on free updates for this game our team cares about so much.

Update 1.3 will release this week and will be available for free to all No Manís Sky players. Weíre calling it Atlas Rises. It focuses on improving the central story of No Manís Sky and adds the ability to quick travel between locations using portals. Patch notes will be made available shortly before the update goes live.

What we do is much more important than what we say, but since launch we have sometimes focused too much on that.

We wanted to reach out and celebrate the devoted community that means so much to us. We launched Waking Titan to try to do that.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Plans Aug 10, 2017, 13:41 mustang05tim

Kxmode wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 13:09:
mustang05tim wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 17:30:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 17:16:
I feel that's the same situation Chris Roberts finds himself in. The hype surrounding Star Citizen and SQ42 is so high that there's no way it can be anything but a failure and (or) a big disappointment at launch.

That's why the best games are the ones that get developed in secrecy until about 3 months before launch so they can build up the hype train. Unfortunately, only the really well financed studios can pull that off.

I would consider $156 million a "really well-financed studio".

Actually, they weren't financed at all until their crowdfunding. But in order to get the crowdfunding, they had to release details of the game. Hence, my point still stands.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Plans Aug 10, 2017, 13:09 Kxmode

mustang05tim wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 17:30:
I feel that's the same situation Chris Roberts finds himself in. The hype surrounding Star Citizen and SQ42 is so high that there's no way it can be anything but a failure and (or) a big disappointment at launch.

That's why the best games are the ones that get developed in secrecy until about 3 months before launch so they can build up the hype train. Unfortunately, only the really well financed studios can pull that off.

I would consider $156 million a "really well-financed studio".

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

27. Re: Another troll game Aug 10, 2017, 06:57 Kosumo

WitcherOntheProwl wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 06:43:
I really wish they would drop support for this dead game. They need to get back on the horse and make a game that isn't a lie.

Fail comment.

26. Another troll game Aug 10, 2017, 06:43 WitcherOntheProwl

I really wish they would drop support for this dead game. They need to get back on the horse and make a game that isn't a lie.  

25. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Plans Aug 9, 2017, 22:54 Reactor

It would've been easy to abandon it... it's nice to see they haven't.  

24. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Plans Aug 9, 2017, 18:24 Sempai

They'll always have the shadow looming over them, but there's a lot about the game i've enjoyed.

Good on them for keeping the lights on and hammering away at it.

23. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Plans Aug 9, 2017, 17:30 mustang05tim

22. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Plans Aug 9, 2017, 17:16 Kxmode

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 15:15:
This is how I feel.. game had so much hype it was like he had a billboard advertising it's failure about his head.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

21. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Plans Aug 9, 2017, 17:00 The Half Elf

Really Rigs? Sony twisted Sean's arm to flat out lie over and over?

Portals were suppose to be part of the original game? I pretty much sucked up every bit of game before it's launch and never remember portals being shown or even mentioned, if you can provide a link that would be great.

And No Man's Sky still doesn't hold a candle to the X series or Elite: Dangerous.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

20. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Plans Aug 9, 2017, 16:22 Mr. Tact

I "almost" pulled the trigger on this during the Steam Summer Sale. It was certainly over-hyped and over-promised. Have a buddy who did get it and I've talked with him about the game a couple of times. I suspect I could get even $60 worth out of it, but I'm trying to hold out for $20...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

19. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Plans Aug 9, 2017, 15:53 mustang05tim

ChopperDan wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 13:49:

So nice of them to fix the broken game for Free, and make sure they point out that it's FREE every chance they get.
What a great deal!

If they didn't do that, then there would be so much negative press on it that they might not ever recover.

18. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Plans Aug 9, 2017, 15:34 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 14:36:
I have to give them props for continuing to update the game despite the negative feedback.

Can you please give a play through of the new patch and give us your thoughts?

Stay a while, and listen.

17. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Plans Aug 9, 2017, 15:23 Cutter

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 13:08:
"Let the hate flow through you"

-Sith Lord

"Let me put my love into you babe."
- AC/DC

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

16. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Plans Aug 9, 2017, 15:15 Tipsy McStagger

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 11:56:
lol @ all the lemmings who fell for this hype and congrats to Sean Murray for properly fleecing the mouthbreathers, well done!

This is how I feel.. game had so much hype it was like he had a billboard advertising it's failure about his head.

15. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Plans Aug 9, 2017, 14:41 Kxmode

ChopperDan wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 13:49:
So nice of them to fix the broken game for Free

It wasn't broken at launch. However, it was missing a ton of content promised at launch. The game still doesn't have fleets even though it continues to be one of the screenshots on the Steam store page.

14. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Plans Aug 9, 2017, 14:36 Kxmode

I have to give them props for continuing to update the game despite the negative feedback.  

13. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Plans Aug 9, 2017, 14:04 RedEye9

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 13:08:

-Sith Lord

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

12. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Plans Aug 9, 2017, 13:49 ChopperDan

Weíve spent that year working hard on free updates for this game our team cares about so much.

So nice of them to fix the broken game for Free, and make sure they point out that it's FREE every chance they get.
What a great deal!

11. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Plans Aug 9, 2017, 13:08 SpectralMeat

-Sith Lord

Steam: SpectralMeat

10. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Plans Aug 9, 2017, 12:33 RoboNerd

"Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

Ė Yoda Cheesy

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.