Out of the Blue

Today is the anniversary of the bombing of Nagasaki and the resignation of Richard Nixon. It is also National Book Lover's Day here in the U.S. I do love me some books, though I am not one of those who is stuck on the paper kind, as I am perfectly happy reading on my phone or Kindle. Actually, it's a miracle that I am not expressing some sort of dislike of printed matter, at least at the moment. This is because about 14 sets of bookshelves worth (seven shelves each piled two deep) are a major obstacle remaining for us to pack up our house. Most of these are MrsBlue's, who has spent a career in publishing, and I've been forbidden from participating in packing them up. My bonfire idea was summarily ruled out, but we may be nearing the point where I will finally be allowed to take control of this project.

Bookish Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Top Speed Sport Cars.
Flappy Space Program.
Stories: Hold Your Nose: Burglar Doesn't Flush, Gets Caught by DNA Evidence.
Copper mugs used for Moscow Mule could cause food poisoning.
Mazda hails more efficient petrol engine. Funny, the Wankel rotary was an epic fuel hog.
Science: How to watch the Perseid meteor shower this week.
First Time Seeing a Total Solar Eclipse? Check Out This Video from NASA.
New device can heal with a single touch, and even repair brain injuries.
Media: Blacksmith - Epic NPC Man - VLDL (Complicated item crafting in warcraft diablo and skyrim).
TEENS & COLLEGE KIDS PLAY JOY OF CREATION- STORY MODE - Horror Game (React- Gaming).
(12) Mr. Plinkett's Ghostbusters (2016) Review.
Follow-up: Chic “Impossible Burger” that bleeds meets gristly FDA that’s not having it.
The Funnies: Savage Chickens.
Barry From Work - Kat Swenski - 268 - Behind the GIFs. Thanks Kxmode.
View : : :
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer

Re: Out of the Blue
Aug 9, 2017, 11:26
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2017, 11:26
Aug 9, 2017, 11:26

"Hold Your Nose: Burglar Doesn't Flush, Gets Caught by DNA Evidence."

This isn't the first time feces caught a criminal in Ventura County.

My friend was murdered in the summer of 1997. Apparently the murderer was robbing his home and in the process left a giant deuce in the hamper. The cops sampled it, froze it.

15 years later they figured out they could extract DNA from feces. So they pulled his DNA.

Two years after that someone got arrested for accepting felony levels of stolen goods and was sentenced to a year in prison. They swabbed his cheek as standard operating procedure, ran it through the cold case file and... my friend's murder came up.

He was convicted last February and sentenced to life in prison without parole. It took 20 years but his shit stank after all.

Aug 9, 2017, 12:50
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2017, 12:50
Aug 9, 2017, 12:50

Tablets are a godsend for those of us getting elderly who like to read. The print in so many books is simply too small and difficult to read easily anymore. With a tablet just hit a button to increase font size and Bob's yer Uncle! I admit I was a bit curmudgeonly about using a tablet to read at first but I'm totes loving it now.

‘God has given Trump authority to take out Kim Jong Un,’ evangelical adviser says

Yeah, because that's what a sociopath like The Donald needs to hear. Of course The Donald doesn't believe in God...because he is God. Still those evangelicals need to STFU or their churches need to be taxed for the political institutions they really are. And you can bet you won't see any of those assholes sending their kids off to die, but they have zero problem sending everyone elses.

Hrm, I wonder what kind of work it would take to convert my shed into a bomb shelter. Fallout - the real life experience coming to a city near you soon!

Anyone catch the moon last night? When it first appeared - here at any rate - it was this crazy blood orange color. I've never seen anything like it before. And there was a thin cloud moving across it on its lower third so it looked like a black stripe running across it. It actually looked pretty ominous - and really effing sweet too. Wish I woulda had a could camera to take a few snaps of it. I'm guessing it was lit up like that because of the approaching eclipse.

And Blue, to get Mrs. Blue on-board with the bonfire idea you just have to be a bit sneaky about it. Get her a bit drunk and play some music in the background relating to fire like The Doors - Light My Fire, Arthur Brown - Fire, The Pointer Sisters - Fire, et al. Just search for songs about fire, there's loads of them. That way the seed will take root and in a few days time she'll say, 'You know what? A bonfire would be a really good idea!'

Aug 9, 2017, 14:27
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2017, 14:27
Aug 9, 2017, 14:27

Cutter wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 12:50:
Tablets are a godsend for those of us getting elderly who like to read. The print in so many books is simply too small and difficult to read easily anymore. With a tablet just hit a button to increase font size and Bob's yer Uncle! I admit I was a bit curmudgeonly about using a tablet to read at first but I'm totes loving it now.

‘God has given Trump authority to take out Kim Jong Un,’ evangelical adviser says

Yeah, because that's what a sociopath like The Donald needs to hear. Of course The Donald doesn't believe in God...because he is God. Still those evangelicals need to STFU or their churches need to be taxed for the political institutions they really are. And you can bet you won't see any of those assholes sending their kids off to die, but they have zero problem sending everyone elses.

Hrm, I wonder what kind of work it would take to convert my shed into a bomb shelter. Fallout - the real life experience coming to a city near you soon!

Anyone catch the moon last night? When it first appeared - here at any rate - it was this crazy blood orange color. I've never seen anything like it before. And there was a thin cloud moving across it on its lower third so it looked like a black stripe running across it. It actually looked pretty ominous - and really effing sweet too. Wish I woulda had a could camera to take a few snaps of it. I'm guessing it was lit up like that because of the approaching eclipse.

And Blue, to get Mrs. Blue on-board with the bonfire idea you just have to be a bit sneaky about it. Get her a bit drunk and play some music in the background relating to fire like The Doors - Light My Fire, Arthur Brown - Fire, The Pointer Sisters - Fire, et al. Just search for songs about fire, there's loads of them. That way the seed will take root and in a few days time she'll say, 'You know what? A bonfire would be a really good idea!'
The mere insinuation of killing anyone is disgusting. I am embarrassed for god.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Aug 9, 2017, 14:52
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2017, 14:52

Couple of things...

First of all, regarding a Wankel as a epic fuel hog is pushing it a bit. I had a 1979 RX-7 with the rotary engine and while the fuel economy wasn't spectacular, it wasn't bad, especially compared with the contemporary V-8s. And it really did accelerate like a bat out of hell and had oodles of torque. One time I lost third+fourth gears (dropped transmission linkage fork) and drove for a couple of weeks with only first, second and fifth. Oddly, I never had an issue with the engine, but the body construction was crappy.

And 14 bookshelves? Rookie . I've got 25 spread between two rooms. But then we're never planning to move

Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2017, 14:52

Flatline wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 11:26:
"Hold Your Nose: Burglar Doesn't Flush, Gets Caught by DNA Evidence."

This isn't the first time feces caught a criminal in Ventura County.

My friend was murdered in the summer of 1997. Apparently the murderer was robbing his home and in the process left a giant deuce in the hamper. The cops sampled it, froze it.

15 years later they figured out they could extract DNA from feces. So they pulled his DNA.

Two years after that someone got arrested for accepting felony levels of stolen goods and was sentenced to a year in prison. They swabbed his cheek as standard operating procedure, ran it through the cold case file and... my friend's murder came up.

He was convicted last February and sentenced to life in prison without parole. It took 20 years but his shit stank after all.

Thanks for your input...its makes the story more believable--evidently this is something they are now looking for routinely @ crime scenes in that locale, even a burglary. My skepticism stems from the fact that if my home had been burglarized and I got home and found the house broken into and then also saw poop in the toilet, my first impulse would have been to flush it away. Ugh. Interesting--although the burglary story still bothers me a bit as the perp looks like a TV/movie actor I've seen somewhere...;) Fake News is everywhere these days--hard to know what is real from what isn't. Lots of it isn't just about Trump, either--publishing fiction as fact seems to be a growing trend in and of the last few years across the country!
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Aug 9, 2017, 15:16
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2017, 15:16
Aug 9, 2017, 15:16

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 14:27:
The mere insinuation of killing anyone is disgusting. I am embarrassed for god.

Jesus was all about nuking his enemies.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Aug 9, 2017, 15:23
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2017, 15:23
Aug 9, 2017, 15:23

I've always felt that books were the easiest thing to pack: books are rectangular, boxes are rectangular. Baddabing!
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Aug 9, 2017, 15:27
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2017, 15:27
Aug 9, 2017, 15:27

@ Cutter. When you see a moon of that color, it's usually caused by pollution from China.

Also, love reading on my Kindle, but hate reading on a tablet.

If you're looking for sci and fantasy book bundles, check out storybundle.
https://storybundle.com/fantasy

Aug 9, 2017, 15:36
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2017, 15:36
Aug 9, 2017, 15:36

jdreyer wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 15:27:
@ Cutter. When you see a moon of that color, it's usually caused by pollution from China.

No, that's what I'm saying. In all my 49 years on the planet I've never seen anything like it. It fairly blew my mind. A few centuries ago it probably would have set off a Doomsday panic - especially with the eclipse following a few days later. My description can't do it justice. The moon was just huge and really looked like a huge blood orange with a black stripe across it. Would have given a lot to get a shot of it but I was out in the country driving home and by the time I got back it had risen and the color had faded. Here's a snap of a blood moon that it was close to except it was effing ginormous and really close and had the black line on it from the cloud. Actually it'd make a really sweet tat.

http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/afp.com/6efd69fa7d8cd710561f1002cebb15f0df5edafb.jpg">Blud Mood!

Aug 9, 2017, 16:26
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2017, 16:26
Aug 9, 2017, 16:26

WaltC wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 14:52:
Fake News is everywhere these days--hard to know what is real from what isn't. Lots of it isn't just about Trump, either--publishing fiction as fact seems to be a growing trend in and of the last few years across the country!
Not familiar with any of drumpfs fake news but they sure were cranking it out concerning HRC and President Obama. The orange douchenozzle promotes fake news, it's what got him his non-landslide election.
Burrito of Peace

Aug 9, 2017, 16:29
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2017, 16:29
Aug 9, 2017, 16:29

With Halloween approching why not suggest giving books instead of candy.
I can see hundreds of kids in costume stumbling around your neighbourhood with books piled high cursing your name.
Um .. Behind you...

Aug 9, 2017, 16:39
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2017, 16:39
Aug 9, 2017, 16:39

Interesting idea, but unfortunately I suspect most if not all of the kids would simply throw the books away.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Aug 9, 2017, 17:27
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2017, 17:27
Aug 9, 2017, 17:27

Yeah, fear mongering!

copper levels as low as 3.5 mg/L have been reported to cause symptoms
of copper poisoning in humans.

You would die of alcohol poisoning LONG before you absorbed enough copper from a mule mug to get sick from. We KNOW copper leaches from the mug into the drink. Kind of the point. A multivitamin contains way more copper than you'll ever get from a mule. Goddamn politicians trying to justify their existence.
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Aug 10, 2017, 15:18
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 15:18
Aug 10, 2017, 15:18

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 16:26:
Fake News is everywhere these days--hard to know what is real from what isn't. Lots of it isn't just about Trump, either--publishing fiction as fact seems to be a growing trend in and of the last few years across the country!
Not familiar with any of drumpfs fake news but they sure were cranking it out concerning HRC and President Obama. The orange douchenozzle promotes fake news, it's what got him his non-landslide election.
C'mon man. Everyone knows Obama is an atheist communist Muslim. That's why godless Sharia is law of the land.

Aug 10, 2017, 15:37
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 15:37
Aug 10, 2017, 15:37

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 16:39:
Interesting idea, but unfortunately I suspect most if not all of the kids would simply throw the books away.
Or choke to death if they accidentally swallowed one whole.

Aug 10, 2017, 16:15
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 16:15
Aug 10, 2017, 16:15

jdreyer wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 15:18:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 16:26:
C'mon man. Everyone knows Obama is an atheist communist Muslim. That's why godless Sharia is law of the land.
and he wernt even born here!
Burrito of Peace
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer