Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is now available for Windows on GOG.com and Steam, offering a new action/adventure from Ninja Theory, developers of DmC: Devil May Cry. A video developer's diary released yesterday offers a look at the final push to develop the game, and the official trailer came out about a week ago. Here's the description of the game:

From the makers of Heavenly Sword, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, and DmC: Devil May Cry, comes a warrior’s brutal journey into myth and madness.

Set in the Viking age, a broken Celtic warrior embarks on a haunting vision quest into Viking Hell to fight for the soul of her dead lover.

Created in collaboration with neuroscientists and people who experience psychosis, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice will pull you deep into Senua’s mind.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 9, 2017, 08:41 The Half Elf

Creston wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 00:03:
If the whole permadeath thing turns out to not be true, then these devs are really freaking dumb. Why announce it's in there if it isn't, because all it does is make people NOT BUY YOUR GAME for something that's maybe not even true.

Way to kill yourselves there, fellas. Brilliant thinking. I'm sure your marketing peon is sitting there wrenching his shoulder askew trying to pat himself on the back.

You mean like a certain game that just hit 1 year old that promised a galaxy to explore with multiplayer?

That being said I can understand WHY they said it. In my opinion, they said it so you would become even more attached to character and take more care to keep her alive.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 9, 2017, 02:11 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 00:03:
If the whole permadeath thing turns out to not be true, then these devs are really freaking dumb. Why announce it's in there if it isn't, because all it does is make people NOT BUY YOUR GAME for something that's maybe not even true.

Way to kill yourselves there, fellas. Brilliant thinking. I'm sure your marketing peon is sitting there wrenching his shoulder askew trying to pat himself on the back.

Well if people intentionally try to get killed and fail to get perma-killed you can assume it's not ever gonna affect you in the actual game, I mean on auto-difficulty you'd be hard-pressed to ever even die aside maybe from misunderstanding one of the area puzzles or encountering the game breaking bug that Jim Sterlin had.

26. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 9, 2017, 00:03 Creston

25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 8, 2017, 23:13 Darks

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 19:04:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 18:21:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 16:09:
Having grown up with NES games that only give you a couple lives with a game that is only a couple hours long, the whole "permadeath" thing here doesn't seem like that big a deal to me. So what if you don't have time to start over from the beginning in the same sitting? Just try again later and see if you can improve on the previous run. There is nothing forcing you to keep on playing if you don't have the time.

It really doesn't have perma-death anyway, the rot mechanic is hard-limited to the shoulder and will never reach her brain, no matter how often you die. Kinda sad it was a lie by the way, because that IS an interesting game mechanic, well, it could have been one, sadly it's not in the game.

That is a shame. Looks like Darks won't be crying himself to sleep tonight after all..

piss off!

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2017, 23:51.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

24. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 8, 2017, 22:54 Taskeen

Seems interesting enough to see at least see how they depict psychosis. I don't mind 6-8 hour playable movies.  

23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 8, 2017, 19:04 Mordecai Walfish

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 18:21:
Having grown up with NES games that only give you a couple lives with a game that is only a couple hours long, the whole "permadeath" thing here doesn't seem like that big a deal to me. So what if you don't have time to start over from the beginning in the same sitting? Just try again later and see if you can improve on the previous run. There is nothing forcing you to keep on playing if you don't have the time.

It really doesn't have perma-death anyway, the rot mechanic is hard-limited to the shoulder and will never reach her brain, no matter how often you die. Kinda sad it was a lie by the way, because that IS an interesting game mechanic, well, it could have been one, sadly it's not in the game.

That is a shame. Looks like Darks won't be crying himself to sleep tonight after all..

22. removed Aug 8, 2017, 18:37 Darks

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 8, 2017, 20:14.

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 8, 2017, 18:21 eRe4s3r

20. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 8, 2017, 16:41 Lorcin

Just finished the first boss. Knowing how short it is there's some huge padding going on here. Slow run speed, some where's wally puzzles and very basic melee combat we've seen done loads better many times before can't be made up for with pretty visuals and a pretentious atmosphere.

It's a pretty tech demo but gameplay is definitely lacking. Had to check it wasn't Crytek.

19. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 8, 2017, 16:11 Slashman

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 15:27:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 10:07:
Looks amazing.... very positive reviews..... 30 bucks..... ok one of these seems off.

True. It's about 20 bucks too expensive for a digital title. Wake me up when it goes on sale for under 10 bucks.

Whatever you're smoking must be really awesome! Smoking

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 8, 2017, 16:09 Mordecai Walfish

17. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 8, 2017, 15:27 CJ_Parker

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 10:07:
Looks amazing.... very positive reviews..... 30 bucks..... ok one of these seems off.

True. It's about 20 bucks too expensive for a digital title. Wake me up when it goes on sale for under 10 bucks.

16. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 8, 2017, 15:14 Nullity

Kajetan wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 15:07:
Jim Sterling died MANY times while he was trying to escape a gamebreaking glitch. Nothing happened. The guy at PCGAMESN died fifty times. Nothing happened. The blacking reaches a certain point, then stops. You can die after that happily again and again and again ... there seems to be no permadeath.

And yes, an official statement may be nice. While not liking permadeath, i actually prefer a game not lying to me. If the game says, there are consequences for dying too often, there better be consequences and not some cheap psycho trick.

Right, but some others are saying that the reason it didn't work for them, was because they kept dying in the same area, like a sort of safeguard against being stuck in one spot. Other reports are saying that it requires multiple deaths over several checkpoints before permadeath kicks in. Whether that's true or not, I can't say for sure. But since there are now conflicting reports, as I said, I'll wait for an official statement.

I hope there isn't a permadeath mechanic, as I'd like to check this game out.

15. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 8, 2017, 15:07 Kajetan

Nullity wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 14:38:
After doing a little research, it seems as though there are conflicting reports, and there may still be permadeath, but it could have some conditional safeguards.
Jim Sterling died MANY times while he was trying to escape a gamebreaking glitch. Nothing happened. The guy at PCGAMESN died fifty times. Nothing happened. The blacking reaches a certain point, then stops. You can die after that happily again and again and again ... there seems to be no permadeath.

And yes, an official statement may be nice. While not liking permadeath, i actually prefer a game not lying to me. If the game says, there are consequences for dying too often, there better be consequences and not some cheap psycho trick.

14. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 8, 2017, 15:02 Darks

Slashman wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 14:41:
Not sure why permadeath would even be that big of a thing. Hell no one ever played Xcom on Ironman? That's how I play all of them!

Yes, but that was by choice.

They are not giving players the choice of turning this on or off. its on, and when you perma-die, it deletes the save game file.

Thats to harsh for my taste. and to that article saying is just a scarce tactic. thats BS!!

13. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 8, 2017, 14:42 Nucas

so apparently that 20-years-in-the-making wizardry game from a few days ago was outrageous at 40 dollars, far too much for some indie title; and this is outrageous at 30 dollars, it must be shit to cost so little. i guess the AAA industry has succeeded in properly conditioning a pliant base of sheep consumers.  

12. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 8, 2017, 14:41 Slashman

Not sure why permadeath would even be that big of a thing. Hell no one ever played Xcom on Ironman? That's how I play all of them!  

11. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 8, 2017, 14:38 Nullity

Kajetan wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 14:20:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 13:57:
Permadeath!? Ugh. Still, I'll probably get this at some point on sale, it looks gorgeous.
Apparently, there is no permadeath. According to this article it's just a trick to increase tension:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/hellblade-senuas-sacrifice/hellblade-permadeath-bluff

After doing a little research, it seems as though there are conflicting reports, and there may still be permadeath, but it could have some conditional safeguards.

The game even tells you upfront about the mechanic:
The dark rot will grow each time you fail. If the rot reaches Senua’s head, her quest is over. And all progress will be lost.

Anyway, see the update to this article on Kotaku.

I think I'll wait for an official statement.

10. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 8, 2017, 14:20 Kajetan

Permadeath!? Ugh. Still, I'll probably get this at some point on sale, it looks gorgeous.
Apparently, there is no permadeath. According to this article it's just a trick to increase tension:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/hellblade-senuas-sacrifice/hellblade-permadeath-bluff

9. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 8, 2017, 14:18 Nullity

POSSIBLE MINOR STORY SPOILER ON HOW THE PERMADEATH WORKS:

Apparently, when you die, black tendrils appear in the characters hands. With each subsequent death, the tendrils get longer, covering further up the arm. Eventually, after several deaths (I don't know how many exactly), the tendrils reach her brain, and it becomes permadeath. It's meant to tie in with the game's theme of mental illness. So, while there is permadeath, it doesn't take effect immediately, which may be acceptable to some people.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo