Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 9, 2017, 12:19 Beamer

VaranDragon wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 07:54:
Beamer wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 07:04:
Going against your companies stated principles means you're a bad cultural fit, and bad cultural fits get fired. End of story.

Bad Cultural Fit? Thats kind of a fancy way of saying you don't toe the company line. Yeah, that shit will get you fired real quick. Corporations aren't democracies, no matter how much they try to make themselves look like they are.

You can last without toeing the company line. But not the stated principles, which are the DNA of the company and undoubtedly part of both the hiring and review process.

I recently had a company make a hard push for me, but they're an operation owned and run by evangelicals. Their principles mentioned religious freedom, but looking deeper that really meant the freedom to endlessly discuss religion at all workplace functions - their religion. I backed out, because I'd be a miserable employee who would either leave quickly or be fired.

Don't like what Google stands for, expect the same. And had I gone there and said that religion is bullshit, I'd expect to be out on my ass quickly. Tougher in that situation, but I'd just not be a person who enjoyed working there or whom they wanted working for them.

"Merit" is more than just numbers. Culture matters.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 9, 2017, 11:38 dubfanatic

I find it hilarious that liberals are now claiming "freedom of association" when they spent the last 60 years FIGHTING AGAINST IT. Thanks to civil rights laws there IS NO FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION IN THE WORKPLACE.  

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 9, 2017, 11:36 dubfanatic

loomy wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 19:13:
neonazi wannabes are just emboldened by the traitor president. normal people don't care to be around crazies who spend their free time thinking about harassing and oppressing other people. the psychos need to go back to hiding their antisocial beliefs if they want to keep their jobs. news at 11

hate to break it to you but the letter you're talking about is ALL about the author's demented emotions. he uses no reason or logic, just rationalization of the torment of his childhood. he's as irrational and out of control as the most PMSing woman I've ever seen. it would be funny if he wasn't such a disgusting excuse for a man

PUTINDRUMPFTREASONIMPEACHRUSSIAPUTINDRUMPF AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 9, 2017, 11:14 Orogogus

Bodolza wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 17:09:
Orogogus wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 16:14:
it's illegal in California.
FYI, their was a huge drop in diversity of colleges in California after that law was passed.

Citation? The first few search hits I see for college diversity rankings has California schools dominating the top of the lists in 2016. And if they're able to do that without racial preferences, isn't that a good thing?

It would seem Google agrees with you.

It seems to me that they say they do, but then they fired the guy anyway. Meaning that it's the kind of company that puts out a suggestion box but then tracks down and punishes anyone who uses it. If their open communication atmosphere is such an obvious sham, their diversity push probably is, too.

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 9, 2017, 09:55 VaranDragon

"First, let me say that we strongly support the right of Googlers to express themselves, and much of what was in that memo is fair to debate, regardless of whether a vast majority of Googlers disagree with it."

Google quote. It may sound like they support free speech and all that nice stuff, but its just wool over the eyes.

15. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 9, 2017, 09:10 Tom

VaranDragon wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 07:54:
Corporations aren't democracies, no matter how much they try to make themselves look like they are.
Which corporations try to make themselves look like democracies? That doesn't seem very typical to me.

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 9, 2017, 07:54 VaranDragon

Beamer wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 07:04:
Going against your companies stated principles means you're a bad cultural fit, and bad cultural fits get fired. End of story.

Bad Cultural Fit? Thats kind of a fancy way of saying you don't toe the company line. Yeah, that shit will get you fired real quick. Corporations aren't democracies, no matter how much they try to make themselves look like they are.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 9, 2017, 07:04 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 9, 2017, 05:16 loomy

sorry I can't hear you over the sound of studies proving slavery is rational because blacks have lower IQs. the rationalization washing machine your brain is rumbling around in is out of control

Icewind wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 02:24:
neonazi wannabes are just emboldened by the traitor president. normal people don't care to be around crazies who spend their free time thinking about harassing and oppressing other people. the psychos need to go back to hiding their antisocial beliefs if they want to keep their jobs. news at 11

Icewind wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 12:13:
Not so much an anti-diversity letter as it is an examination and rejection of far-left politics and a wish to reclaim liberalism by making it about reason and logic, not guilt-driven compassion.

hate to break it to you but the letter you're talking about is ALL about the author's demented emotions. he uses no reason or logic, just rationalization of the torment of his childhood. he's as irrational and out of control as the most PMSing woman I've ever seen. it would be funny if he wasn't such a disgusting excuse for a man

The very first sentence you typed, where you just label everyone who doesn't agree with you and accept the new brand of liberalism and progressive politics as a Nazi is proof of how little you'll bring to this discussion.

Read the same exact points the google developer wrote about in this article, which received no backlash and was written by a woman:

[url=]http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/truth-women-stem-careers/[/url]

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 9, 2017, 02:24 Icewind

Not so much an anti-diversity letter as it is an examination and rejection of far-left politics and a wish to reclaim liberalism by making it about reason and logic, not guilt-driven compassion.

The very first sentence you typed, where you just label everyone who doesn't agree with you and accept the new brand of liberalism and progressive politics as a Nazi is proof of how little you'll bring to this discussion.

Read the same exact points the google developer wrote about in this article, which received no backlash and was written by a woman:

[url=]http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/truth-women-stem-careers/[/url]

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 8, 2017, 23:37 Tom

I've very intentionally left out any judgement of whether I think these particular policies are good or bad. My only point is that widely posting ANYTHING that goes explictly against company policy is dumb.
Making your company look bad is dumb if you want to continue working there. Maybe this guy didn't, and this was his exit strategy.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 8, 2017, 19:49 Muscular Beaver

People like you just interpret into it what they want. He even knows that, thats why he wrote that appeasing introduction. Not even that worked, because reason and logic never works on people like you.
Its a very simple matter actually, but since its a political matter for some (IMO its actually religious, because it lacks any hard backing from science, logic or any real liberal standpoint to discriminate the majority, the people who work hard to get to their goals, to have "anti-discrimination" measures).
Its like killing your dogs, just so you can take in some cats to impress your cat loving and dog hating GF.
Its disgusting because its fascism and hypocrisy.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 8, 2017, 19:13 loomy

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 8, 2017, 17:09 Bodolza

Orogogus wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 16:14:
it's illegal in California.
FYI, their was a huge drop in diversity of colleges in California after that law was passed.

You say discrimination is okay if it's for a good cause.
I never said this. I said we all discriminate all the time about lots of stuff. I made several discriminatory decisions today when I decided what to have for lunch. Discrimination itself is not inherently good or bad.

I've very intentionally left out any judgement of whether I think these particular policies are good or bad. My only point is that widely posting ANYTHING that goes explictly against company policy is dumb.

Maybe it is, but if you're not allowed to even talk about it then how do you know if it's gone too far, or far enough?
It would seem Google agrees with you.

"First, let me say that we strongly support the right of Googlers to express themselves, and much of what was in that memo is fair to debate, regardless of whether a vast majority of Googlers disagree with it."

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 8, 2017, 16:14 Orogogus

Bodolza wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 15:51:
Pretty much everything listed under "The Harm of Google's biases". Every decision is discriminatory in one way or the other. People choose colors, what car they drive, their shoes -- all based on discriminatory choices. Google has chosen to discriminate based on race and gender towards the goal of increasing diversity and inclusion. Those are the values that the company leadership has decided to embrace.

I don't think that answer is good enough to declare that the author is anti-diversity. I think you should be allowed to talk about the methods used to improve diversity. The kinds of affirmative action hiring practices described in that section are one method, and they're controversial enough when used by colleges -- it's illegal in California.

I don't believe silencing discussion is productive. You say discrimination is okay if it's for a good cause. Maybe it is, but if you're not allowed to even talk about it then how do you know if it's gone too far, or far enough? Would it be okay for a company to fire x number of white employees to make room for diversity hires? If a company instituted completely token positions for people to be paid to do nothing for the sake of looking good on paper, wouldn't it be okay to say, maybe this isn't the best way of going about this?

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 8, 2017, 16:04 eRe4s3r

Bodolza wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 15:04:
I read it. It is anti-diversity and inclusion. Regardless of whether you think his points are right or wrong, Google, and many other companies, have made it corporate policy to encourage diversity and inclusion, even if it's not the most economical or efficient in the short term. This guy is an idiot for publicly posting something directly against corporate policy. It doesn't really matter what the subject was. Going against corporate policy is always a good way to get fired.

If corporate policy is to not accept different opinions then that says a lot about that company though. Not so diverse after all, huh.

Reminds me of that onion article, you can visit a University to learn about great idea, as long as you only support that 1 idea.... it's nothing but Apartheid in another paint. And it will ruin your society in the long run.

The way to hell is plastered with good intentions....

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 8, 2017, 15:51 Bodolza

Pretty much everything listed under "The Harm of Google's biases". Every decision is discriminatory in one way or the other. People choose colors, what car they drive, their shoes -- all based on discriminatory choices. Google has chosen to discriminate based on race and gender towards the goal of increasing diversity and inclusion. Those are the values that the company leadership has decided to embrace.  

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 8, 2017, 15:26 Orogogus

I read it, and I don't think it was anti-diversity or inclusion. It seemed to me it was a lot more about the mechanics of policies relating to diversity. Which parts did you find particularly anti?  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 8, 2017, 15:04 Bodolza

I read it. It is anti-diversity and inclusion. Regardless of whether you think his points are right or wrong, Google, and many other companies, have made it corporate policy to encourage diversity and inclusion, even if it's not the most economical or efficient in the short term. This guy is an idiot for publicly posting something directly against corporate policy. It doesn't really matter what the subject was. Going against corporate policy is always a good way to get fired.  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 8, 2017, 12:13 Icewind

Not so much an anti-diversity letter as it is an examination and rejection of far-left politics and a wish to reclaim liberalism by making it about reason and logic, not guilt-driven compassion. The author is a liberal himself, and like many of his kind, he's grown tired of the faux compassion that the far-left has shown "PoCs" by coddling them, even when it sabotages a workplace and lowers the collective talent level by passing up skilled candidates in favor of quota-filling "PoCs"

But people will read into it what they want, and the world will keep on going. Just another man fighting the brick wall that is upper middle class liberal guilt.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo