Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up

Better late than never, this video offers an early look at some of Borderlands 3 from GDC 2017. The clip is from back in March, but we missed it until seeing it on DSOGaming. The clip features Gearbox head cog Randy Pitchford talking about the Unreal Engine 4 and improvements they are looking at for the stylized cel shaded look of the series. They also note the game may be due sooner than later at the conference call following Take-Two's recent financial results teases that their Fiscal Year 2019 should see the launch of "a highly anticipated new title from one of 2K’s biggest franchises."

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 10, 2017, 00:16 Wowbagger_TIP

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 18:23:
SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 16:15:
I've played most previous BL games in solo. I just can't commit to a time when people available to play coop.
If solo will be an afterthought in BL3 I'll skip it.

So did I, but I would not call it a fun experience.... and quite a bit of "raid" content is not accessible to you and a few of the boss fights are absolutely unfair (not spawning any easy to kill enemies to get back on foot, the Jack fight in particular comes to mind)

But really it's my primary fear for Anthem, when a game demos on E3 in coop, then it's designed as coop game. SP will be horrible to play.

Yeah, that was my concern about Anthem too. Game looks amazing, but I can't really dedicate time to playing with a group on anything resembling a consistent basis. I do remember reading something from an interview where they said it would be fully playable as a solo game, but you could probably say that about Borderlands too.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 8, 2017, 18:23 eRe4s3r

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 16:15:
I've played most previous BL games in solo. I just can't commit to a time when people available to play coop.

So did I, but I would not call it a fun experience.... and quite a bit of "raid" content is not accessible to you and a few of the boss fights are absolutely unfair (not spawning any easy to kill enemies to get back on foot, the Jack fight in particular comes to mind)

But really it's my primary fear for Anthem, when a game demos on E3 in coop, then it's designed as coop game. SP will be horrible to play.

23. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 8, 2017, 16:15 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

22. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 8, 2017, 16:12 eRe4s3r

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 01:43:
Primalchrome wrote on Aug 7, 2017, 09:55:
Retired wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 21:04:
I don't have the weapons to defeat the side bosses.
Note that the bosses everyone is complaining about are referred to as "Raid Bosses". They're not meant to be taken down solo. It's not a matter of the weapon you're using...hit them with a party of 3+ or 2+ if you're geared for multiplayer play.

I don't do multiplayer in these kinds of games. Don't understand why they would gate that stuff for multi. Why not just scale the difficulty to the number of players?

Pretty sure the game was originally never even intended as a solo experience. Look at the skill trees, nearly all major skills only apply fully in COOP

BL is one of these games where I sourced my opinion from that COOP in a SOLO game without huge adaptions will ALWAYS ruin the SP mode. Tons of "COOP" games with SP have this problem too. They should just be honest about it and not advertise SP, but then they'd lose tons of sales.

21. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 8, 2017, 01:43 Wowbagger_TIP

Primalchrome wrote on Aug 7, 2017, 09:55:
Note that the bosses everyone is complaining about are referred to as "Raid Bosses". They're not meant to be taken down solo. It's not a matter of the weapon you're using...hit them with a party of 3+ or 2+ if you're geared for multiplayer play.

I don't do multiplayer in these kinds of games. Don't understand why they would gate that stuff for multi. Why not just scale the difficulty to the number of players?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

20. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 7, 2017, 09:55 Primalchrome

19. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 7, 2017, 09:39 The Pyro

Loot games will always feel like the loot sucks and it takes too long to gear up your character. It just comes down to math. The quality of each drop is basically distributed on a bell curve. The longer you play, the more your existing equipment gets shifted toward the tail end of that curve... which means it becomes exponentially more unlikely to find even better gear.

The situation is improved somewhat while you're still leveling, because that puts constant upward pressure on the quality of the drops.

Now that's certainly an argument to be made that perhaps the game should hide low-quality loot. Path of Exile uses detailed, customizable loot filters for this very reason. But even in that community there are big differences of opinion on what kinds of loot ought to be hidden, and the criteria varies quite a bit between characters. I don't think that's necessarily a good direction for Borderlands to take, given that Borderlands caters a (slightly?) more casual audience. Additionally, customizable loot filters seem like a ridiculous solution for consoles.

At the end of the day, though, there are a lot of players who get a huge thrill out of smashing loot piñatas, even if most of the loot is crap. Lootsplosions will trigger the reward center of your brain consistently.

18. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 7, 2017, 04:51 jdreyer

Jerykk wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 21:08:
I'd love to see what Flying Wild Hog could do with it.
Yeah, that's a good call.
And re-releasing Bulletstorm for $50? Really? Who thought that was a reasonable price?
They probably saw Chris Roberts selling $1000 virtual spaceships and figured $50 was a bargain by compare.

Stay a while, and listen.

17. No more cel-shaded games.. Aug 7, 2017, 03:50 WitcherOntheProwl

Cel-shaded games had a day in the sun with XIII and Borderlands 1 and 2. It's time to just drop cel-shading all together. It brought something new and interesting. It's just dated graphics now that are no longer fun to look at. I actually think it's a cheap way not to build a new game engine. Keep all the console kiddies happy.  

16. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 7, 2017, 00:13 SlimRam

Prez wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 22:38:
Well I'll take the one series Gearbox is still good at, Borderlands, over them raping the Alien universe again.
Spot on sir, my ass is still sore from buying that shitshow

15. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 6, 2017, 22:38 Prez

SlimRam wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 18:00:
Randy Pitchford: "So let me get this straight, Battleborn was a bomb?"

Gearbox:"'Fraid so Randy"

Randy Pitchford: "And Bulletstorm: Full clip barely sold?"

Randy Pitchford: "And Duke Nukem 20th anniversary world tour bombed too?"

Randy Pitchford: "Soooooooooo THAT MEANS...*thinking*....another Borderlands game?

Well I'll take the one series Gearbox is still good at, Borderlands, over them raping the Alien universe again.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 6, 2017, 21:14 Rigs

Jerykk wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 21:08:
At this point, they should just sell all their IPs to Devolver Digital or something. We might actually see a good Duke Nukem game if they did that.

*Overloads into steaming, drooling heap on floor imaging a remaster of the side-scrolling Duke's in the BroForce engine* Drool

=-Rigs-=

Master Killer of Threads
---------------------------------------
'The only way to win is not to play', huh?
Here, hold my beer...

13. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 6, 2017, 21:08 Jerykk

No idea why Gearbox is handling their properties so badly. Why even buy the Duke Nukem IP if they aren't going to do anything with it? At least license it to competent developers. I'd love to see what Flying Wild Hog could do with it. And re-releasing Bulletstorm for $50? Really? Who thought that was a reasonable price?

At this point, they should just sell all their IPs to Devolver Digital or something. We might actually see a good Duke Nukem game if they did that.

12. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 6, 2017, 21:04 Retired

Love Borderlands games, have played through all of them several times. That being said, there are still side missions I can't complete because although I have 300+ hours in each game, I don't have the weapons to defeat the side bosses.  

11. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 6, 2017, 19:06 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 18:00:

Randy Pitchford: "Soooooooooo THAT MEANS...*thinking*....another Borderlands game?

So LOL.

10. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 6, 2017, 18:50 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 15:11:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 11:06:
When I am being honest I can't tell a damn difference to Borderlands 2 or 1.... it looks brown.. yay. And yeh, I also think it looks butt-ugly, UE4 has a weird look to it that I really start to dislike.

While there was a qualitative difference in the BL2 graphics, I'll grant that the palette is dominated by desert browns and other muted colors.

Obviously graphical features are better, UE4 is no slouch in that department, but I mean this cross-hatch combined with thick outline combined with the way the hues and colors blend, the bad texture quality to accommodate this effect and all that combined with shadow and light is to me more like a graphical bug than a feature. The idea sounds good on paper, but I have some growing dislike against this kind of cel-shading somehow...

9. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 6, 2017, 18:00 SlimRam

8. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 6, 2017, 15:20 jdreyer

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 13:00:
Rhett wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 12:21:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 10:57:
Rhett wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 10:45:
Yeah weird that this comes up again...

But anyway, I love Borderlands, and I agree. After I played Destiny, with its much, much better gunplay/feel, it was VERY hard to go back to something as arcadey as Borderlands. And the endgame very poorly done (scaling resulting in being one-twoshot... in a non-realism game where everybody has guns).
Never played Destiny, but you're saying Destiny's controller gunplay is superior to Borderlands mouse and keyboard?

In terms of accuracy, fair point, but I meant the way the guns handle. In Destiny, they feel like legit guns. Recoil, impact, scopes, etc. It feels more grounded that Borderlands' "this shotgun fires 8,000 rocket pellets and can't hit the broad side of a barn". I realize Borderlands is supposed to be crazy like that, but Destiny's handling of loot and randomization was a tad more subtle, and the guns felt much more pleasant to use.

I guess if Borderlands was to keep its own kooky randomized gun-loot system, it's gonna have to take some liberties there, however. I'm just hoping they look at Destiny's handling of things and take some notes.

My main issue with Borderlands was the mountain of junk weapons that drop. I think they need to tighten that up somehow so that we get fewer, but better, drops. Yeah, they're still mostly not going to be good enough to replace whatever you're already using, but at least there would be much less junk to deal with.

Also, the endgame bosses seemed to be tuned to players having the god-tier weapons, which take forever to grind for. Seems like there should be some difficulty settings to adjust for things like that. If I don't want to spend 100 hours grinding for the best guns, then I shouldn't have to face a boss designed for those guns.

Yeah, I like the crazy randomness of BL's guns. You never knew what you'd get, or if there'd be a superweapon in any given drop. In fact, one of my complaints of BL2 vs. BL1 is that they tightened up the randomness of the weapons so that each subtype felt very samey (even while I loved the addition of elemental weapons). No longer did I have the chance of finding a machine pistol with a 1200 RPM cyclic rate (a gun I found in BL1).

I'll agree that fewer higher quality weapons would be good.

As for endgame bosses, I had the opposite problem. I had to actively NOT do sidequests to avoid becoming overpowered.

Lastly, I hope they keep up the quality of the writing and voice acting. Handsome Jack and Tiny Tina are among my favorite game characters.

7. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 6, 2017, 15:11 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 11:06:
When I am being honest I can't tell a damn difference to Borderlands 2 or 1.... it looks brown.. yay. And yeh, I also think it looks butt-ugly, UE4 has a weird look to it that I really start to dislike.

While there was a qualitative difference in the BL2 graphics, I'll grant that the palette is dominated by desert browns and other muted colors.

6. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 6, 2017, 13:00 Wowbagger_TIP

Rhett wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 12:21:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 10:57:
Rhett wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 10:45:
Yeah weird that this comes up again...

But anyway, I love Borderlands, and I agree. After I played Destiny, with its much, much better gunplay/feel, it was VERY hard to go back to something as arcadey as Borderlands. And the endgame very poorly done (scaling resulting in being one-twoshot... in a non-realism game where everybody has guns).
Never played Destiny, but you're saying Destiny's controller gunplay is superior to Borderlands mouse and keyboard?

In terms of accuracy, fair point, but I meant the way the guns handle. In Destiny, they feel like legit guns. Recoil, impact, scopes, etc. It feels more grounded that Borderlands' "this shotgun fires 8,000 rocket pellets and can't hit the broad side of a barn". I realize Borderlands is supposed to be crazy like that, but Destiny's handling of loot and randomization was a tad more subtle, and the guns felt much more pleasant to use.

I guess if Borderlands was to keep its own kooky randomized gun-loot system, it's gonna have to take some liberties there, however. I'm just hoping they look at Destiny's handling of things and take some notes.

My main issue with Borderlands was the mountain of junk weapons that drop. I think they need to tighten that up somehow so that we get fewer, but better, drops. Yeah, they're still mostly not going to be good enough to replace whatever you're already using, but at least there would be much less junk to deal with.

Also, the endgame bosses seemed to be tuned to players having the god-tier weapons, which take forever to grind for. Seems like there should be some difficulty settings to adjust for things like that. If I don't want to spend 100 hours grinding for the best guns, then I shouldn't have to face a boss designed for those guns.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo