6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
Aug 3, 2017, 01:20
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 3, 2017, 01:20
Aug 3, 2017, 01:20

Saboth wrote on Aug 2, 2017, 19:04:
Utilities are regulated because they are necessities and vital. You need water, heat, gas, etc. You do not need Facebook or Google. The internet on the other hand...yes, that's another necessity to modern life. Yet the GOP doesn't think that should be regulated like a utility.

Well, to make the internet useful and useable, you need search engines. So Google and the others are a necessity. The reason utilities are either government owned or heavily regulated is because they are both necessary and monopolies. Google is not a monopoly and switching costs are low so there's no need as of now.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Aug 3, 2017, 01:15
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 3, 2017, 01:15
Aug 3, 2017, 01:15

Utilities are regulated because they are necessities and vital. You need water, heat, gas, etc. You do not need Facebook or Google. The internet on the other hand...yes, that's another necessity to modern life. Yet the GOP doesn't think that should be regulated like a utility.

Because the GOP is paid by those monopolies to think that way . Upton Sinclair and all that.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube...
Aug 2, 2017, 20:40
Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 2, 2017, 20:40
Aug 2, 2017, 20:40

This, precisely.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Aug 2, 2017, 19:04
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 2, 2017, 19:04
Aug 2, 2017, 19:04

Aug 2, 2017, 13:37
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 2, 2017, 13:37
Aug 2, 2017, 13:37

But not the ISPs, though! They are fine being just completely free.

Of course, the ISPs spend more money in bribes (Sorry, SCOTUS wants us to classify bribes as "lobbying" now) lobbying fees, so Bannon is basically just telling Facebook and Google that daddy needs a new pair of shoes.

Aug 2, 2017, 10:14
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 2, 2017, 10:14
Aug 2, 2017, 10:14

Well he's not wrong. They are simply too large and powerful. I wonder what his position on the AT&T merger is because if any company needs to be broken up and regulated - yet again - it's the phone and cable co's. Point in fact, given how essential the internet is now it should be nationalized in every country. It's simply too important to be left in the hands of private corps - particularly when it's tax dollars that paid for all that copper and fiber to be laid in the first place.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older