Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed

A new version 3.0 Production Schedule Report on the Roberts Space Industries website has word that the release of Star Citizen alpha 3.0 is delayed until September (thanks PC Gamer). They blame this on stability issues and work on a new patching system, saying: "Because of this we have pushed back the Evocati and subsequent date ranges to reflect the additional time needed to get Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 ready for prime time." This post sheds more light on progress on the long-in-development space game. Here are a few points:

• We’ve pushed far past the technological boundaries that were previously considered impossible to build the foundation of the Star Citizen universe. Working on 3.0 has certainly introduced variables and challenges that we could never have anticipated, and these just do not always cater to a tidy date on a calendar.
  • As gamers, we are conditioned to consider all dates as static points in time that we can wrap our heads around and plan for in advance. The nature of this project does not neatly fit into that mold due to the complexity of what we’re building, and with what we learn about what's possible and needed along the way. These date ranges are dynamic according to the challenges presented to us at that time, and we actively maintain that to keep you up to date.
  • The scope of 3.0 is not insignificant, as Chris discussed in https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//15842-Letter-From-The-Chairman-The-Road-Ahead. It introduces a level of tech and infrastructure that’s an order of magnitude larger and more complex than all of our previous versions combined. There are thousands of new assets, millions of entities to manage, new UI, new features, multiple new backend services, etc. all being introduced in 3.0.
  • Integrating all of this has revealed to be MUCH more of a bug fixing project than anticipated, which obviously reshapes those estimates and changes those dates. Hammering in a level of polish that we’ve not aimed for before requires an additional adjustment of dates.
  • There’s certainly no malice behind it, and anyone who makes that claim is providing an uninformed opinion. Ask any project manager or developer who worked on sophisticated software or has been involved on a complex project with lots of dependencies and moving parts. They'll gladly share how challenging a task of estimates can be.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

62. removed Aug 3, 2017, 23:33 brianmay1

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 4, 2017, 09:03.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 15:36 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 12:15:
Trump has actually produced a lot of stuff in his time. Those hotels didn't build themselves.

Most of those hotels and apartments licensed his name from him and he had no part in building.

60. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 15:35 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 15:14:
NicklePop wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 12:52:
You all sound like Democrats.

Never go full democrat.

Because going full Repub is working out so well for us?
Speaking of going well. Remember that 78% drop in illegals crossing the border since orange dipshit took office, it's actually an 8% drop. The US went full retard when the minority elected Tangerine Jesus.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

59. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 15:14 jdreyer

NicklePop wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 12:52:

Never go full democrat.

Because going full Repub is working out so well for us?

Stay a while, and listen.

58. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 15:09 jdreyer

Kosumo wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 04:39:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 02:47:
tk0121 wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 23:14:

Full disclosure: I never donated any money to the project, although I wanted to and have followed it diligently waiting for a time where it looked complete enough to do so. The 'idea' of the game totally gripped me from the start. I remember playing my favorite game of all time as a teenager, TIE Fighter.... thinking to myself "Man this would be EPIC if once you docked with a space station it just transformed into 'Dark Forces'?!".
That was my dream too.

Anyone whoever believed in this while knowing that Chris Roberts was behind it was/is a fool.

He has no idea what he is doing apart from making a pitch to get money.

Chris Roberts lies, always has, always will.

He is a hack with no original ideas.

Star Citizen is lies and dumb people have bought into it for a total over $157 million - all of them idiots.

Why would anyone ever put up money for a Chris Roberts idea? ...... there is a reason no publishers, big or small, would; because he can't deliver.

On top of that, he has his would be actor wife as his VP of marketing, lol, no wonder they did not want it known they where married.

Lies all the way.

You know what is sad? Some people defend it just because if they did not it could mean Derek Smart was right.

While Derek Smart maybe right, he was also dumb enough to have put money into the project to start with (fully knowing who Chris Roberts was.)

I just meant that back in the 90s, when I played TIE Fighter, I had the same dream of being able to land and walk around and battle on other space ships. It somewhat came true 10 years ago with Battlefront 2.

That wasn't my dream for this game. For this one, I put down my $35 for a modern version of Wing Commander.

Stay a while, and listen.

57. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 14:11 Creston

I give it 3.0 dismissive wanks.

Looks pretty, though. In trailers.

56. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 13:51 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 12:15:
Trump has actually produced a lot of stuff in his time. Those hotels didn't build themselves.
Well, you are right in that they didn't build themselves. But in many cases neither did Trump. He simply sold his name to the building. Even in the cases where his companies were actually involved in the construction, I'd be shocked if Trump himself acted as anything other than a back seat interior decorator.

Neither has he produced steaks, wine, suits, or any of the dozens of other products carrying the Trump brand. Trump sells branding and marketing, except on rare occasions, he produces nothing.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

55. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 13:08 Tigger

The statement from RSI just barely sounds patronizing at best, and deceiving at worst. I work in an environment of rapid development with scrum and Agile, etc. And when you look at other hugely complex SW Development projects with all the same obstacles, all the same complexities, etc... they make it work just great.

I agree completely. I work in the SW Dev industry as well and I've seen this kinda thing many times before:

"We have no scope document or vision statement so we can't prioritize what needs to be done."

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

54. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 12:52 NicklePop

Never go full democrat.

53. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 12:16 Cutter

Shows how bad SC is failing. Used to be that a story like this would easily break 100 plus comments and last for days, now everyone's just kinda meh bleh about it.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

52. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 12:15 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 02:53:
Gibbage wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 00:07:
Right now I put Chris in the same category as Trump. Floated by a bunch of blind followers and nothing but empty promises. Wake me up with they file for bankruptcy and everyone is stuck with a 30 million dollar tech demo.

At least Chris has produced something. What has Trump produced, besides indigestion in large swaths of the population and laughter among our allies and enemies?

You keep saying that and it isn't true. He came up with ideas, which were subsequently taken away from him and given to other people because he was incapable of delivering on time and on budget. Trump has actually produced a lot of stuff in his time. Those hotels didn't build themselves.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

51. Re: Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 11:21 VaranDragon

Frode wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 06:17:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 02:18:
That said, Roberts pitched a new Wing Commander, not Space Simulator 2025 that does everything.
Whether Star Citizen ever gets finished or not, it will always stand as a prime example of what feature creep will do to a project. Heck, for the first couple of years, it seems all I ever heard were new feature announcements. You'll never finish a product by constantly adding features to it.

This. To all the people I argued with years ago who claimed that stretch-goals are not feature creep: Where is Squadron42?

50. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 11:11 Total-Khaos

jdreyer wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 02:39:
The Half Elf wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 22:24:
Anyone remember when this was suppose to be a Wing Commander game, and not the second coming of Second Life?

You will NOT deny Slimram of his dream of being a space janitor!

If you want to be a space janitor, just load up the Space Quest series.

49. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 10:55 afka Rossini

El Pit wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 03:11:
Chris Roberts - Making Crowdfunding Great Again! Promise!!!!

Chris Roberts - Grabbing The Backers By The Pussy!

Man, he should work in the Trump government. For a few days.

lol. His perfect position of Communications Director just opened up too.

48. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 10:33 eRe4s3r

Where is SQ42 ..... that's really all I care about, couldn't give 2 ct (and didn't) for anything else....  

47. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 09:02 Jivaro

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 07:52:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 21:09:
Heh, was just lamenting the lack of a good old-fashioned Star Citizen thread yesterday.

I should be careful what I wish for.

Was just remembering that post from yesterday as I was reading the headline... lol...

46. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 07:52 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 21:09:
Heh, was just lamenting the lack of a good old-fashioned Star Citizen thread yesterday.

I should be careful what I wish for.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

45. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 07:50 Luke

Kosumo wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 04:39:

Full disclosure: I never donated any money to the project, although I wanted to and have followed it diligently waiting for a time where it looked complete enough to do so. The 'idea' of the game totally gripped me from the start. I remember playing my favorite game of all time as a teenager, TIE Fighter.... thinking to myself "Man this would be EPIC if once you docked with a space station it just transformed into 'Dark Forces'?!".
That was my dream too.

Anyone whoever believed in this while knowing that Chris Roberts was behind it was/is a fool.

Star Citizen is lies and dumb people have bought into it for a total over $157 million - all of them idiots.

Why would anyone ever put up money for a Chris Roberts idea? ...... there is a reason no publishers, big or small, would; because he can't deliver.

On top of that, he has his would be actor wife as his VP of marketing, lol, no wonder they did not want it known they where married.

Lies all the way.

You know what is sad? Some people defend it just because if they did not it could mean Derek Smart was right.

While Derek Smart maybe right, he was also dumb enough to have put money into the project to start with (fully knowing who Chris Roberts was.)

And hallelujah to ye my friend hallelujah

44. Re: Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 06:17 Frode

Kxmode wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 02:18:
That said, Roberts pitched a new Wing Commander, not Space Simulator 2025 that does everything.
Whether Star Citizen ever gets finished or not, it will always stand as a prime example of what feature creep will do to a project. Heck, for the first couple of years, it seems all I ever heard were new feature announcements. You'll never finish a product by constantly adding features to it.

43. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 04:39 Kosumo

That was my dream too.

Lies all the way.

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo