Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

MS on PC Gaming

There's an interview on PCGamesN where Microsoft once again expresses their alleged love for PC gamers, talking about Windows 10, remasters of older MS PC games, and their Play Anywhere program. Mike Ybarra, president for Windows and Xbox gaming, tells them they want to make Windows 10 "the best operating system for gamers," talking about non-Win10 specific features like support for 21:9 resolution, SLI, and AMD Crossfire. Adam Isgreen is the creative director at Microsoft Studios Publishing where they are working on an Age of Empires remaster, and he tells them: "We want to treat PC like a first-class citizen." It's hard not to be cynical about this, as they've hyped PC gamers with similar raps in the past, but have never shown a lot of substantial results. And frankly, saying you want to make Windows 10 the best gaming OS seems an admission that it isn't already, and wanting to treat PC like a first-class citizen suggests that it has gotten second-class treatment in the past.
View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

21. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 27, 2017, 07:45 The Half Elf

Yeah I know we are up to Halo 5, but they did come out. Yeah Halo 1 had some initial issues but then again it also came out for the original Xbox. And yeah Halo 2 was a Vista exclusive, but wasn't bad (never had Vista myself but still was a decent port).

I will give Microsoft credit for Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4. I bought them for Windows and got free copies on the Xbox One. Is it perfect? Hell no, but considering how long Microsoft has been dangling a carrot for PC gamers you have to admit it's a pretty good start. Not to mention they run better on my PC then the Xbox One.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 27, 2017, 07:27 Kajetan

Rigs wrote on Jul 27, 2017, 06:18:
I'm continually amazed when I look at everything early gaming devs squeezed into the 16k, 32k, 64k, 128k systems back in the day and now we can't have a AAA game without it being less than 30 gigs! I think all devs should be required to build one complete game in less than 128k before working on a AAA game. Maybe then they'd appreciate the added space modern tech allows...
Today there is no optmization necessary. The hardware can display big, high resolution textures and PCs and consoles have big, cheap data storgaes at their disposal. Internet connections are fast enough for enough customers and enough customers have flatrates, that people behind weak connections or transfer limits do not matter anymore.

And yes, 55GB is, AFAIK, the complete Halo 5 Guardians. For Forge they simply deactivated certain features but havent removed any game data. In theory, its possible to make a full Guardian release from Forge alone.

19. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 27, 2017, 06:18 Rigs

*Runs into the kitchen to check the calendar*

Yup! It's the end of July, time for MS's twice-yearly commitment to PC announcement...

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 26, 2017, 22:10:
Halo 1 and 2 were on PC.

You do realize we're up to HALO 5 now, yes?

Speaking of which, when I reinstalled Windows 10 (on a hard drive that promptly died a week later, no doubt laden down from all the updates like concrete 'shoes' around a witness's ankles), I was very hyped to download the 'Halo 5 FORGE' and play around with it, maybe do some multi (In HALO 5, man! ON PC!!!) until I saw the download requirements of 55 gigs! *record screech* That's five more gigs than my entire monthly data cap allowance! What the hell is the whole game come in at, 100 gigs?!? Geezus, learn some restraint!

I'm continually amazed when I look at everything early gaming devs squeezed into the 16k, 32k, 64k, 128k systems back in the day and now we can't have a AAA game without it being less than 30 gigs! I think all devs should be required to build one complete game in less than 128k before working on a AAA game. Maybe then they'd appreciate the added space modern tech allows...

=-Rigs-=

18. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 27, 2017, 05:50 Luke

Sempai wrote on Jul 27, 2017, 00:33:
BLAH BLAH BLAH..BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH... -Microsoft

But then again BLAHBLABLABLAAH...BLAH..BLABLA...MKAYYY.MICROSOFT.

17. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 27, 2017, 05:46 Kajetan

Arithon wrote on Jul 27, 2017, 04:11:
Any time they make a good PC game, they kill the franchise and close the studio. Enjoying "Windows Gaming Live"? No, the servers are all turned off.
Still up. They only closed the GfWL marketplace a few years ago. GfWL server are still up and do their dirty deeds

But MS stopped further developement and security support. GfWL may be full of exploits, nobody at MS cares anymore about this software. It would be better to shut it down for real.

16. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 27, 2017, 05:35 Fletch

It’s all part of a “multi-pronged strategy,” according to director of Xbox marketing Kevin Unangst, to make their Windows 10/Xbox environment the best place to play games on PC.

Director of Xbox marketing... ok. The PC is already the best platform to play games. This sounds more like making the PC (well, Windows 10) a more Xbox-compatible platform for game development, and trying to assuage PC gamers by, yet again, dangling graphics features that do nothing to address the gameplay that makes console gaming so shit (and... it's the gameplay, stupid). Graphics are the first, and usually only, aspect that multi-platform developers champion to camouflage the fact that their console port is an inferior PC game. It's amazing to me, and frustrating, how many PC gamers will fawn over support for higher resolutions that take advantage of their $500 video card, but are just fine with the radial U/I, heavily-nested menus, do-everything "action" buttons, over-the-shoulder or third-person perspective, hide-n-heal, limited keyboard and/or mouse configurability, limited multiplayer compatibility, QTEs, endless, lengthy cutscenes, limited save system, and the convenient existence every ten feet of impenetrable, belly-high barricades, trashcans, crates, planters, abandoned cars, desks, and railings to which humans can attach like refrigerator magnets.

15. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 27, 2017, 04:11 Arithon

HALO was a low quality console port, delayed for 2 years after the XBOX release and far inferior to Unreal Tournament 2003 by the time it finally landed on the PC. I bought it. It was great as long as you compared it to games released in 1998.
HALO 2 was delayed 3 years after the console release and a "Vista Exclusive" (like a bank note stuck firmly in a dog turd) and was, from what I remember of it, pretty "meh". Certainly nothing to write home about and nowhere near enough reason to suffer Vista.

Microsoft have a flawless track record of promising PC gamers good service and good games followed by a resounding failure to deliver on both counts.

Any time they make a good PC game, they kill the franchise and close the studio. Enjoying "Windows Gaming Live"? No, the servers are all turned off.

Maybe if they stick at something for a few years without walking away like a bored toddler, then perhaps we can start to re-evaluate their position.

Any such promise to support PC gaming from MS should be treated with the derision and contempt it deserves. It's about as credible as them saying they plan to drop production of the XBOX to concentrate on making Windows PCs the foremost gaming platform. Nobody would swallow that either.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

14. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 27, 2017, 00:33 Sempai

BLAH BLAH BLAH..BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH... -Microsoft  

13. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 26, 2017, 23:05 HorrorScope

Darks wrote on Jul 26, 2017, 22:52:
OK, MS, lets see you remaster Dungeon Siege and make it compatible with Win 10. Whats that you say? yea thats what I though!

Darks, you still doing any modding?

Larian is looking for accomplished modders to send to their studio overseas to test out their new editor for DOS2, to get feedback from those that have done it...

12. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 26, 2017, 22:53 eRe4s3r

And again.. Windows 10 is not PC gaming, it's Windows 10 gaming. (least for ANY Microsoft game that uses UWP)

so what MS is saying here is just PR crap ;/

11. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 26, 2017, 22:52 Darks

OK, MS, lets see you remaster Dungeon Siege and make it compatible with Win 10. Whats that you say? yea thats what I though!  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

10. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 26, 2017, 22:46 Cutter

'I promise I won't hit you no more, baby. Trust me, honey.'

9. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 26, 2017, 22:30 jdreyer

Not sure I'd put someone named "Adam Isgreen" in charge of anything.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

8. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 26, 2017, 22:19 Kxmode

he tells them: "We want to treat PC like a first-class citizen."

Microsoft could start by not making such a statement and treating PC not "like" but "as" a first-class citizen.

P.S. Microsoft is never going to own the monopoly on digital games distribution. They missed that boat over a decade ago.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

7. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 26, 2017, 22:10 The Half Elf

Halo 1 and 2 were on PC.  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

6. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 26, 2017, 22:07 Osc8r

Remastering a game or two = first class citizen treatment.

FU.

5. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 26, 2017, 22:00 Nucas

all bullshit until i see halo on pc.  

4. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 26, 2017, 21:42 The Half Elf

Ok.... remastered Crimson Skies, or Mechwarrior 4....... *starts hyperventilating*  

3. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 26, 2017, 20:51 jacobvandy

It'll still take a hell of a game to make me start using the Windows Store though.  

2. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 26, 2017, 20:49 Prez

Well at least now they can point to the fact that their XBOX exclusives are also on Windows.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >