Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support

Blizzard announces that in October they will drop support for Windows XP and Vista in most of their games. They try to head off objections by pointing out they've supported these operating systems longer than Microsoft themselves did:

Starting in October of this year, we will begin the process of ending support for Windows XP and Windows Vista in World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, Diablo III, Hearthstone, and Heroes of the Storm.

Microsoft ceased mainstream support for these versions of Windows in 2009 and 2012, respectively, but since a decent portion of our audience was still using them at the time, we continued supporting them. However, there have been three major Windows releases since Vista, and at this point, the vast majority of our audience has upgraded to one of the newer versions.

The games will not run on these older operating systems once they are no longer supported, so we encourage any players who are still using one of the older OSes to upgrade to a newer version. We’ll be rolling out this change on a staggered schedule, and will post further notices as we get closer to making the change for each game.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 21, 2017, 05:06 headshot

Tom wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 21:09:
HoSpanky wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 20:37:
No. Nonono. That's like saying that when they patch a game, it's a whole NEW game. The recent free DLC for Titanfall 2 doesn't make it Titanfall 3. There may be major changes, but there's two important differences:
1: they don't require a complete reinstallation
2: they don't ask for money for the update

It's still windows 10. Each year they plan to roll out a "big" update. That's the plan.
You're believing what they want you to believe. The reality is that upgrading from one version of Windows 10 to another version of Windows 10 doesn't require a complete reinstallation in the same way that upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 doesn't require a complete reinstallation. In both cases you're performing an OS upgrade, not an update. What's the difference? In the case of an upgrade, the entire prior "Windows" directory is left behind and a new one is created. (Ever seen "Windows.old" sitting around after an upgrade?) And there's much more opportunity for stuff to break with an upgrade. You may not even be able to upgrade if you have certain Atom CPUs, for example.

The true difference between an update and an upgrade depends on behavior, not naming.

that is true for the professional corporate sector, where upgrading might break really old software / hardware. but we are talking about a few dinosaurs here who don't want change. at all.

and who can really say that he has hardware that exotic, that he cannot ever leave XP behind? i run windows 10 with shutup10 and have no problems whatsoever.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support Jul 21, 2017, 05:03 Luke

El Pit wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 12:15:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 10:26:
The loud objection will come when they drop Win7.

Kenobi: "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of nerds with tinfoil hats suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

Tinfoil hats ? well Mr magoo seeing how things work today I say give me 2....wiseguy

23. Re: Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support Jul 21, 2017, 05:01 Luke

Alamar wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 10:52:
And about damn time... It's unfortunate for some people, but progress is better ; )

Progress!?....my ass

22. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2017, 22:31 Jivaro

Dirwulf wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 21:54:
If they are dropping XP, how will characters level up?...

bah dum *ting*

21. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2017, 21:54 Dirwulf

If they are dropping XP, how will characters level up?...

20. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2017, 21:09 Tom

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 20:37:
No. Nonono. That's like saying that when they patch a game, it's a whole NEW game. The recent free DLC for Titanfall 2 doesn't make it Titanfall 3. There may be major changes, but there's two important differences:

It's still windows 10. Each year they plan to roll out a "big" update. That's the plan.
You're believing what they want you to believe. The reality is that upgrading from one version of Windows 10 to another version of Windows 10 doesn't require a complete reinstallation in the same way that upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 doesn't require a complete reinstallation. In both cases you're performing an OS upgrade, not an update. What's the difference? In the case of an upgrade, the entire prior "Windows" directory is left behind and a new one is created. (Ever seen "Windows.old" sitting around after an upgrade?) And there's much more opportunity for stuff to break with an upgrade. You may not even be able to upgrade if you have certain Atom CPUs, for example.

The true difference between an update and an upgrade depends on behavior, not naming.

19. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2017, 20:43 Sepharo

My company sells, no requires, lifetime maintenance contracts.

You don't know hell until you're maintaining software from the early 90's and patching in 2017 features into 2003 branches.

18. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2017, 20:37 HoSpanky

Tom wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 19:08:
GothicWizard wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 18:04:
There is not going to be another OS. Win10 is the base line. They will add, modify it but it's going to be win10. They are in essence taking the mac X approach from all the interviews I've read.
Whether they call it Windows 11, 12, 13, vs "Creators Update", "Fall Creators Update", "Redstone XXVII" makes little difference. Just naming. A new version is a new version.

As for simon Says, he clearly thinks MS should support an operating system infinitely, since HE doesn't want to spend any money upgrading. Sure thing there buddy, how about you do YOUR job for free and see how far that gets you.

17. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2017, 19:08 Tom

There is not going to be another OS. Win10 is the base line. They will add, modify it but it's going to be win10. They are in essence taking the mac X approach from all the interviews I've read.
Whether they call it Windows 11, 12, 13, vs "Creators Update", "Fall Creators Update", "Redstone XXVII" makes little difference. Just naming. A new version is a new version.

16. Re: Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support Jul 20, 2017, 18:08 Alamar

Simon Says wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 14:28:
I can't believe the people here defending avoidable, and mostly useless ( keyword: mostly, they have the fat profit margins to do it after all ), artificial planned obsolescence...

I'd like to understand how you think it should work...

Are you saying that MS, or any other company, should just keep spending a LOT of money updating XP/Vista, and not charge for new features/functionality?

15. Re: Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support Jul 20, 2017, 18:06 Mr. Tact

Assuming Microsoft doesn't change their course again and release another reasonable OS (it would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath).

Like I said, assuming they don't change course...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

14. Re: Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support Jul 20, 2017, 18:04 GothicWizard

Assuming Microsoft doesn't change their course again and release another reasonable OS (it would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath).

13. Re: Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support Jul 20, 2017, 16:15 Icewind

Up until two months ago my only PC was a desktop I built in 2008 Which was running Vista 64. I had upgraded the GPU (From an ati 4870 to a 6950) in 2011, but never got around to getting Windows 7, since for some reason, Vista ran very well for me. Bought a laptop recently that has win10 on it and I have since switched to that, and thank goodness I did, or else I'd be SOL when it comes to Blizzard games.  

12. Re: Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support Jul 20, 2017, 15:48 Mr. Tact

Zarkonis wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 15:43:
The loud objection will come when they drop Win7. Assuming Microsoft doesn't change their course again and release another reasonable OS (it would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath).
Actually, the bigger one will come when they stop supporting Windows 7.
If only I had said that...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

11. Re: Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support Jul 20, 2017, 15:43 Zarkonis

The loud objection will come when they drop Win7. Assuming Microsoft doesn't change their course again and release another reasonable OS (it would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath).
Actually, the bigger one will come when they stop supporting Windows 7.

Slow and steady might not win the race at first, until you shoot everyone ahead of you.

10. Re: Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support Jul 20, 2017, 14:51 Armengar

Not sure if you are complaining about or supporting the end of xp support. You arent complaining are you?  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

9. Re: Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support Jul 20, 2017, 14:28 Simon Says

I can't believe the people here defending avoidable, and mostly useless ( keyword: mostly, they have the fat profit margins to do it after all ), artificial planned obsolescence...

Some rigs can play the games they want just fine, but would run win 7/8/10 like crap if they can at all due to drivers and other incompatibilities constraints. For example, a lot, but not all, Nehalem builds, including mine, can't run Win 10 with any reliable stability despite running all the latest games maxed, I had to format 4 times in 4 months before giving up and going back to reliable 7 again.

I have the $ to upgrade, but while I can still run all games with an acceptable playability, why would I?

Take rigs with only 1 core for example, or the slowest 2 cores with minimal ram. Their desktop experience is going to suffer a lot ( if their hardware is compatible at all ) and its either that or upgrade the hardware. And if you got a brain cell or 2 you already know that if they could've upgraded, they already would've.

Once again planned obsolescence hits the poor the hardest. And people have the balls to defend this and the waste this will inevitably provoke? *massive facepalm* CULT-ure at work!

Most people here are privileged and they don't even know it. At least I know I am.

8. Re: Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support Jul 20, 2017, 12:32 Dacote

Kenobi: "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of nerds with tinfoil hats suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."
It's going to take a big roll or two.
Anyone still on XP/Vista had to see this coming from miles away.

7. Re: Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support Jul 20, 2017, 12:19 Simon Says

Let me fix that for you...

There, much better!

6. Re: Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support Jul 20, 2017, 12:15 El Pit

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo