Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month

Grinding Gear Games announces an August 4th release day for The Fall of Oriath, a new expansion for Path of Exile, their action/RPG. This add-on includes six new acts which they say effectively doubles the size of the current game. Here's a new trailer with a look at gameplay, and here are some details:
Grinding Gear Games has announced today that it's highly anticipated massive expansion, Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath, will launch for PC on August 4th, 2017. Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath features six brand new acts - doubling the size of current game. The Fall of Oriath also introduces a new Pantheon character-customization system that lets players wield the power of the gods themselves.

Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Features:

• Act 5: The Fall of Oriath: Return to Oriath. Home to the oppressive templar theorcracy. Explore frozen mountaintops, pristine temples and anarchic city streets. Leave a trail of furious destruction as you seek vengeance for your exile.
  • A Single Playthrough, A Complete Story: The previous difficulty level system has been removed to make room for another five brand new acts, bringing to the total to ten. In these five acts, you will weave through both new and familiar locations and witness the drastic results of your past actions.
  • Claim the Power of the Gods: Path of Exile's new pantheon system provides you with potent powers taken from the gods themselves. But beware, the gods won't go down without a fight.
  • New Ways to Play: With dozens of new items, new skills, new locations, new boss fights and more, Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath will keep even the most die-hard fans busy for many months to come.

Check out the new Path of Exile: Fall of Oriath Trailer here:

View : : :
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer

Re: Evening Legal Briefs
Jul 20, 2017, 09:55
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 20, 2017, 09:55
Jul 20, 2017, 09:55

Goodbye free time....

Having played the beta I'm very excited about this. Hell just the minimap alone is 3.0 moniker worthy

Re: Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month
Jul 20, 2017, 10:24
Re: Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month Jul 20, 2017, 10:24
Jul 20, 2017, 10:24

Bad timing for me. I'll need to get back up to speed on PoE and one of my sisters is about to visit, so I'll be busy spending time with her until nearly the release date. Still, looking forward to it.

That said, the trailer itself didn't seem that great...

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2017, 10:35.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Jul 20, 2017, 10:47
Re: Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month Jul 20, 2017, 10:47
Jul 20, 2017, 10:47

They're basically redoing the entire setting...

It's going to be grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Jul 20, 2017, 10:57
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 20, 2017, 10:57
Jul 20, 2017, 10:57

LiTh wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 09:55:
Hell just the minimap alone is 3.0 moniker worthy

And holy hell, what a difference... I'm a big fan of QoL features, and their current mapping is so shitty (and lazy).

Eagerly looking to playing through the new content... Grabbed the beta, but didn't end up playing more than 10m... Really curious how everything fits together now (Labs vs Map start vs other progression stuff). Not aware of any new builds, but the DoT changes might be interesting for some of the current favs... Maybe I'll try an RF build again, as I found that pretty fun just walking through stuff to kill it ; )

Jul 20, 2017, 11:10
Re: Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month Jul 20, 2017, 11:10
Jul 20, 2017, 11:10

Got a video link for showing the improved mini-map?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Jul 20, 2017, 11:24
Re: Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month Jul 20, 2017, 11:24
Jul 20, 2017, 11:24

Found it.

Nice how it remembers/shows the limit of you vision of places you have already walked past...

Jul 20, 2017, 11:28
Re: Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month Jul 20, 2017, 11:28
Jul 20, 2017, 11:28

Now if they could just get a 4 Premium Tabs to a Quad Tab conversion into their micro-transaction list...

Jul 20, 2017, 16:35
Re: Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month Jul 20, 2017, 16:35
Jul 20, 2017, 16:35

My biggest complaint is that their supporter pack armor sets are easily some of the most awful in the game. Not just one or two but all of them are just hard on the eyes to the point where I regret not pulling the trigger on the recent Infernal armor sale a couple weeks ago.

Good fucking bye three difficulties to grind though.

Jul 20, 2017, 17:18
Re: Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month Jul 20, 2017, 17:18
Jul 20, 2017, 17:18

Been playing this off and on since the beta (someone here gave me a key). How's the dungeon persistence? It used to drive me nuts if I spent too long in town how the dungeon would reset and I'd have to redo a bunch of content. And of course the map was completely different from the one I'd just done. After a couple times of that I'd be overpowered.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jul 20, 2017, 17:36
Re: Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month Jul 20, 2017, 17:36
Jul 20, 2017, 17:36

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 11:24:
Found it.

Nice how it remembers/shows the limit of you vision of places you have already walked past...

That... that's a... map. That's not a mini-map?

Jul 20, 2017, 18:19
Re: Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month Jul 20, 2017, 18:19

I guess it is both -- you can use it as a mini-map, as seen at the beginning of the video or as an overlay, making it not so mini. I rarely use it in overlay mode...

Re: Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month Jul 20, 2017, 18:19

jdreyer wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 17:18:
Been playing this off and on since the beta (someone here gave me a key). How's the dungeon persistence? It used to drive me nuts if I spent too long in town how the dungeon would reset and I'd have to redo a bunch of content. And of course the map was completely different from the one I'd just done. After a couple times of that I'd be overpowered.

Instances of zones reset after 10 minutes of no entry. So if you go to town and then don't go back for 10 minutes. It will reset that instance.

Usually it's not a big deal because all instances are small zones, It's only a burden when you have to go between waypoint zones looking for the next waypoint and then have to start over.. but usually you can run past everything to get to the next zone in a hurry.

Jul 20, 2017, 19:10
Re: Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month Jul 20, 2017, 19:10
Jul 20, 2017, 19:10

About to start D3 Season 11 today, but that was a cool trailer. Haven't played POE since about release... How easy is it to get into? Easy enough to play without doing any trading/grouping/pure solo or duo with a friend (assuming both are competent, experienced ARPG players)?

Jul 20, 2017, 19:17
Re: Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month Jul 20, 2017, 19:17
Jul 20, 2017, 19:17

Rhett wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 19:10:
How easy is it to get into? Easy enough to play without doing any trading/grouping/pure solo or duo with a friend (assuming both are competent, experienced ARPG players)?
The only difficult part is the passive skill tree which can be pretty intimidating. The easy way to deal with that is to spend a hour or so in the forums looking for a build that looks interesting to you. And then use that as a guide. You don't necessarily have to follow it exactly, but it will give you an idea of where you should be headed.

Jul 20, 2017, 19:26
Re: Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month Jul 20, 2017, 19:26
Jul 20, 2017, 19:26

Rhett wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 19:10:
About to start D3 Season 11 today, but that was a cool trailer. Haven't played POE since about release... How easy is it to get into? Easy enough to play without doing any trading/grouping/pure solo or duo with a friend (assuming both are competent, experienced ARPG players)?

The passive tree might look like a big scary monster but it's really not. Melee is a little more of a slog to get through if you're fresh out the gate and you can get through a fair portion of the game if you aren't inclined to trade unless you're nolifing. Solo self-found is a way to play and actually a feature which was introduced in the Legacy league so it's definitely do-able but you'll generally be at the mercy of RNG which is why most will suggest that you build some kind of cookie cutter farmer first then build a second character based on what you find since some builds benefit or change entirely with specific items.

As for builds, there are plenty of budget builds which you can start off of which can take you pretty far with little to no investment. I don't know how much the 3.0 tree shakes up all the skills but generally speaking there's more than enough to choose from to get that ball rolling and are often labelled as such on the PoE class build subforums which can be used as a guide.

I mostly solo so I can't really comment on group play. I do recommend to get in to a good clan though since the members often bring a wealth of knowledge and can generally improve the experience.

Jul 20, 2017, 21:21
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 20, 2017, 21:21
Jul 20, 2017, 21:21

Never got too much into this one.
The buying/selling system really bothered me.

I mean we stopped bartering years ago for a reason.
If you are afraid of gold becoming useless don't give so much.
Make items sell for less/cost more.

I have run out of gold many times in D3.

Jul 20, 2017, 21:50
Re: Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month Jul 20, 2017, 21:50
Jul 20, 2017, 21:50

The unique currency system is a bit odd, and in my opinion overly complicated. But *shrug* whatever, it really isn't that different from collecting gold.

Jul 20, 2017, 23:36
Re: Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month Jul 20, 2017, 23:36
Jul 20, 2017, 23:36

Is it all still for free?

I really need to give this a try, but the ludicrously large skill tree and possible combinations kind of turn me off. I should find a cool, fun build to play and just play that, I think.

Jul 20, 2017, 23:45
Re: Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month Jul 20, 2017, 23:45
Jul 20, 2017, 23:45

I think it's a fantastic economy and bartering is a far more meaningful form of trading especially when it comes to ARPGs which are loot-driven. Granted, trading in general could use an overhaul in PoE where they don't rely on third party services to act as a pseudo auction house but I still prefer it over the MMO-inspired BOP-everything-except-those-in-your-party-for-two-hours system which has infected Diablo 3.

Once you become accustomed to the system and the value of items it's really not that much different to traditional currencies. It just takes some commitment to understand the meta items, tier rolls, crafting slots and item level. You can even trivialize some of this by using strict item filters.

That and it feels good knowing GGG aren't assuming we're all hacking dupers who spend all our money on the dangerously evil black market like Blizzard seems to believe.

Creston wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 23:36:
Is it all still for free?

I really need to give this a try, but the ludicrously large skill tree and possible combinations kind of turn me off. I should find a cool, fun build to play and just play that, I think.

100% free.

Jul 21, 2017, 00:47
Re: Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath Next Month Jul 21, 2017, 00:47
Jul 21, 2017, 00:47

The barter crap is pretty much why I NEVER traded anything in several hundred hours of playing this game. Granted, in general I believe that simply trading for good items takes some of the fun out of a loot-hunt driven game, but still. It's way too convoluted, you shouldn't have to do research outside of the game to know what the value of all these random items are. I prefer a central exchange that everyone can use or at least easily reference in-game to set prices based on what the overall market is doing.
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer