Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Might & Magic SHOWDOWN Shutdown

This Steam announcement reveals that Might & Magic SHOWDOWN is shutting down on July 31st, without ever making it out of early access (thanks DSOGaming). Word is the game's Steam page has already been removed:

We regret to announce that Might & Magic SHOWDOWN will be shutting down on July 31, 2017, ending our Early Access period and ceasing server support. As a result, the game will be inaccessible after this date.

We wish to convey our sincerest gratitude to you, our dedicated players, who have helped us navigate the management of an Early Access campaign – because of you, we have learned a great deal about how best to serve you and we hope to carry these learnings forward into future Ubisoft projects.

We also owe a very special debt of gratitude to our Might & Magic fans who accepted this new take on the universe. It has been our pleasure and honor to deal with one of gaming’s longest lived communities.

Effective immediately, Might & Magic SHOWDOWN will be removed from the Steam Store to prevent further purchase of the Early Access license. The game will remain in your Steam Library, but server support will end on July 31, 2017 and the game itself will become inoperable. In an effort to ensure that we abide by our players’ expectations of the Early Access model, we will be offering full refunds to players who feel they are owed them until July 31, 2017.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Might & Magic SHOWDOWN Shutdown Jul 19, 2017, 03:25 Asmodai

Kxmode wrote on Jul 18, 2017, 12:31:
Asmodai wrote on Jul 18, 2017, 03:55:
That pretty much sums up pink sheets. Investing in crowdfunding, Kickstarter, Early Access, Fig, Indie GoGo, and a host of similar methods is a recipe for financial and emotional pain. To quote John Oliver, "as in investment, you would be better off burying your money in the actual ground, because at least there is a chance that your dog will dig it up and give it back to you one day." While I realize he was addressing Televangelists, the point applies equally well to backer funded video games with zero transparency and a high chance of failure.

Lol, Televangelists are selling a religious promise, and a pretty shit one at that (make me rich = god will love you). While some game companies indulge in vapourware, most have a lot more to show than religion (which is the ultimate in vapourware, 5k+ years and counting and still nothing to show for it).

As for emotional pain, /shrug, if people can't be grown ups and understand that they are gambling (albeit an educated gamble), then they shouldn't bother. I have more regret on properly release titles that I've thrown money at then the relative pittance I've spent on KS/crowdfunded games.

There's a huge difference between pitching video game projects to the general public and venture capital investors. First, and foremost, Ventures want something new, something innovative, something with a potential for rapid growth, a well-developed business model, and a great management team. Enterprises want to see working prototypes. They want a full audit annually to ensure their money remains unsquandered on things like $20,000 espresso machines. Lastly, additional funding to based purely on reached milestones. Virtually all public backer games take sponsor money and go silent with the occasional updates; the complete opposite of what Ventures require.

"Virtually all"? X D

Guess you've never actually participated in a KS, I have to create email folders and rules as comms come out so frequently for some of them.

You're certainly not wrong that there are some crappy operators who are just in it to scam money, but you're ignoring (deliberately at this point) that KS has produced some great games that might not have otherwise been made.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Might & Magic SHOWDOWN Shutdown Jul 18, 2017, 12:31 Kxmode

Kxmode wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 23:08:
@Cutter, @eRe4s3r - Early Access and crowd funding are like the OTC stock market. I hope we're intelligent enough not to invest in such shenanigans.

I like to think of them as venture capital, where you "invest" based on a promise of future return but at a significantly higher risk than standard stocks.

That pretty much sums up pink sheets. Investing in crowdfunding, Kickstarter, Early Access, Fig, Indie GoGo, and a host of similar methods is a recipe for financial and emotional pain. To quote John Oliver, "as in investment, you would be better off burying your money in the actual ground, because at least there is a chance that your dog will dig it up and give it back to you one day." While I realize he was addressing Televangelists, the point applies equally well to backer funded video games with zero transparency and a high chance of failure.

The difference between crowd funding and taking an idea to "real" investors (be it a software company, production mob or even your boss) is semantic at best, it's just different people assuming the risk.

There's a huge difference between pitching video game projects to the general public and venture capital investors. First, and foremost, Ventures want something new, something innovative, something with a potential for rapid growth, a well-developed business model, and a great management team. Enterprises want to see working prototypes. They want a full audit annually to ensure their money remains unsquandered on things like $20,000 espresso machines. Lastly, additional funding to based purely on reached milestones. Virtually all public backer games take sponsor money and go silent with the occasional updates; the complete opposite of what Ventures require.

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB

14. Re: Might & Magic SHOWDOWN Shutdown Jul 18, 2017, 11:52 Kxmode

Prez wrote on Jul 18, 2017, 02:08:
@Cutter, @eRe4s3r - Early Access and crowd funding are like the OTC stock market. I hope we're intelligent enough not to invest in such shenanigans.

Well hopefully YOU are smarter now, Mr Pre-order No Man's Sky.

Hindsight is 20/20. But, yes, let's toss preordering into the mix too.

13. Re: Might & Magic SHOWDOWN Shutdown Jul 18, 2017, 07:24 El Pit

Oooooh... Please, UBI, let me support your next EA game. Or let me throw money at you for a kickstart project?

Yours truly,
A Braindead Fool

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

12. Re: Might & Magic SHOWDOWN Shutdown Jul 18, 2017, 07:15 Pr()ZaC

Might and Magic SHUTDOWN  

11. Re: Might & Magic SHOWDOWN Shutdown Jul 18, 2017, 03:55 Asmodai

I like to think of them as venture capital, where you "invest" based on a promise of future return but at a significantly higher risk than standard stocks.

Purchasing anything, even food, is an investment where you hopefully get the return of value. Some KS's and early access have been great (7 Days to Die, for example), some not so much.

Venture capital projects exist so people can choose to invest on something that mainstream firms consider too risky, but which may result in something awesome. Many KS games would otherwise not exist (and considering some of the ones I've enjoyed thoroughly so far, I think gaming in general would be a poorer place without them).

The difference between crowd funding and taking an idea to "real" investors (be it a software company, production mob or even your boss) is semantic at best, it's just different people assuming the risk.

Too many people have forgotten (or choose to ignore) that KS and early access are inherently risky (and get riskier depending on who is running it and their track record). Nothing new there, I participated in many alphas, helping out with bug reporting etc, only to see ppl bitching that the game was very broken... Well fucking duh.

10. Re: Might & Magic SHOWDOWN Shutdown Jul 18, 2017, 02:08 Prez

Well hopefully YOU are smarter now, Mr Pre-order No Man's Sky.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Might & Magic SHOWDOWN Shutdown Jul 18, 2017, 02:05 Prez

I'm kind of on the fence about wether a huge publisher like Ubisoft has any business running an Early Access game in the first place. At least they're not pulling a Sega who is making the Shenmue 3 team run a crowdfunding campaign while saying they fully support its creation. Ah but give Ubisoft time...  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Might & Magic SHOWDOWN Shutdown Jul 18, 2017, 01:10 Icewind

I didn't even know this existed.  

7. Re: Might & Magic SHOWDOWN Shutdown Jul 17, 2017, 23:39 eRe4s3r

For the most part ^^  

6. Re: Might & Magic SHOWDOWN Shutdown Jul 17, 2017, 23:08 Kxmode

5. Re: Might & Magic SHOWDOWN Shutdown Jul 17, 2017, 22:12 eRe4s3r

This is golden, Ubisoft running an EA refund scam?

How would anyone get a refund with more than 2 hours played? Manually? What if they don't see that news item? And wow, that wording is downright hilariously subconsciously malicious. "offering" to those "who feel they are owed them" , that PR person was having a passive aggressive phase or something.

wow

4. Re: Might & Magic SHOWDOWN Shutdown Jul 17, 2017, 22:03 The Half Elf

"we will be offering full refunds to players who feel they are owed them"

Fucking really?

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

3. Re: Might & Magic SHOWDOWN Shutdown Jul 17, 2017, 19:09 CJ_Parker

Glad this shit failed. Now MMXI plz. kthxbai.  

2. Re: Might & Magic SHOWDOWN Shutdown Jul 17, 2017, 18:32 Luke

Thanks for the money........byeeeeeeeee  

1. Re: Might & Magic SHOWDOWN Shutdown Jul 17, 2017, 18:16 Cutter

They should be forced to refund all purchases regardless. What if you don't see the news on this? No final product, no sale.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo