Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Had a great time over the weekend getting to getting together with dear old friends. This was a reunion of second-generation friendships, as our group is composed of children of childhood friends. We all spent many weekends together years ago at a farmhouse in rural New York owned by one of the families, and we returned there for this as well. This was an upgrade of a smaller version of the same event last year, but this year had a 100% turnout of the original group of 10 of us, which is remarkable, as we had attendees fly in from Houston, Los Angeles, and, most dramatically, Australia. It was tremendous reconnecting with everyone, and I think we've gotten to the point where we will try and get together like this annually, though it may be too much to expect everyone to attend every time considering the distances some of us need to travel to get there.

R.I.P.: Martin Landau, 'Mission- Impossible' star, dies at 89.
R.I.P.: Bob Wolff, longest running sportscaster in television and radio history, dies at 96.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Tavern Brawl.
Story: American Airlines insists farty passenger wasnít cause of emergency.
Science: Buzz Aldrin Fundraises to Send People to Space at Mars Gala.
Media: Instant karma Dad (NSFW).
Texting on your phone...it can wait.
Marching ants transport a cookie. Thunderbirds music makes it.
Follow-up: ĎTan Momí livid at school over daughterís sunburn.
Coffee makes you live longer: Don't believe the buzz.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2017, 14:54 jdreyer

Hoop wrote on Jul 18, 2017, 05:11:
ďAfter what they did to me, they didnít put lotion on her? This time, Iím going after them,Ē

Why did they not puts the lotion on the skin?

Seems obvious to me: they wanted the hose.

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2017, 14:51 jdreyer

Rigs wrote on Jul 18, 2017, 02:02:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 18:42:
Tan Mom. She's from Nutley, NJ. That's all you need to know.

We're not all from the shore, you know, jd...

In fact, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised what the rest of the state is like, especially where I was born and raised in the NW NYC suburbs...

=-Rigs-=

Dad and grandparentss are from Morristown NJ. It's a nice place with h lots of nice folks. I was actually referencing the "nut" in Nutley.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2017, 07:59  Blue 

Rigs wrote on Jul 18, 2017, 02:01:
double post because I suck...Blue, can we please get permission to delete our own posts already?!

This has been discussed before. When an admin deletes a post, it leaves the post in place, and the body of the post is replaced with:

* REMOVED *

I hereby authorize you to edit your post and replace it with that.

And now I bask in the glow of a job well done.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2017, 08:13.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2017, 05:11 Hoop

ďAfter what they did to me, they didnít put lotion on her? This time, Iím going after them,Ē

Why did they not puts the lotion on the skin?

Um .. Behind you...

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2017, 02:02 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 18:42:

We're not all from the shore, you know, jd...

In fact, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised what the rest of the state is like, especially where I was born and raised in the NW NYC suburbs...

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2017, 02:01 Rigs

*REMOVED*

* as authorized by El Presidente

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2017, 13:36.

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2017, 01:54 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 22:43:
So, I was on a movie revenue site and noticed "Alien: Covenant" has made 73M in 59 days. Think that's bad enough to kill and further Alien films?

Looks like they made $230M overall on $100M budget. They split 50/50 with the theaters, and also paid a lot for advertising, probably $50M, so they haven't broken even yet. They will eventually, but it might make them gunshy about making another one. Probably will need some special hook, like James Cameron's involvement.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 22:43 Mr. Tact

So, I was on a movie revenue site and noticed "Alien: Covenant" has made 73M in 59 days. Think that's bad enough to kill and further Alien films?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 19:09 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 18:40:
Actually it can be nullified. Great Britain and Japan both average less than one police cause fatality per year. We average 1000.

I think it's slightly higher than that for the UK.

Wikipedia

It looks like about 40 since 2000, so a little more than 2/year. And their population is about 5 times smaller. So it's more like a hundredfold difference than a thousandfold. Go us.

I think Japan is, like, zero. As far as I know their police don't usually carry guns.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 18:54 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 18:40:
theglaze wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 18:15:
I think this is merely a numbers game. Innocent people will occasionally die by police enforcement, just like friendly fire in war, or non-conforming widget during the manufacturing process.

From a systems perspective, the pursuit to improve processes, training, resources, etc should be undertaken to reduce the innocent fatality rate. But it can never be nullified.

Actually it can be nullified. Great Britain and Japan both average less than one police cause fatality per year. We average 1000.
It's only a numbers game if you suck at math.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 18:42 jdreyer

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 18:40 jdreyer

theglaze wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 18:15:
I think this is merely a numbers game. Innocent people will occasionally die by police enforcement, just like friendly fire in war, or non-conforming widget during the manufacturing process.

From a systems perspective, the pursuit to improve processes, training, resources, etc should be undertaken to reduce the innocent fatality rate. But it can never be nullified.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 18:32 jdreyer

ledhead1969 wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 15:25:
"Shadows - Eerie photos of abandoned malls"

A paintball business should use that place as a map. Run different game modes. Have everyone sign-off that if they get impaled on something they can't sue etc.

Heck go full DM and place X amount of people in random 'spawn' points, maybe even go PUBG and have the play area shrink ever X minutes. Some SW dev would need to happen, sensors etc. I don't know, that place would be crazy as a paint ball play ground.

I used to train through the old areas of Philly back in the day and all the old abandoned factories looked like great paintball map areas. Make it more like CSGO.
It's a good idea but there's a reason that these places are abandoned: the people have all left. Hard to build a paintball community without people.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 18:28 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 12:50:
Cutter wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 12:11:
Woman who called 911 to report disturbance shot dead by cops

Remember what I said the other day why people don't want to call the cops. America, you seriously need a better screening process and training. Hiring these cowardly, trigger happy sociopaths has to stop. I mean, US cops are killing more people in a single year than other police forces around the world do in a century.

It's a serious, entrenched problem in this country. A lot of citizens in the USA don't even realize how bad it is but the numbers (to me) are staggering. over 2 people a day so far in the past several years.

No, they aren't all black criminals, random Trump supporter who will undoubtedly comment on this. By any measure, the police in the United States are simply trained incorrectly. Lethal force shouldn't be the first option anytime you encounter ANY situation.

What's really crazy, looking at that Guardian page, is how many of the gunshot fatalities are to old women, 50+ years old. Cops are seriously that cowardly?

It'll be a difficult uphill battle to not only train police to NOT treat all citizens like an enemy army, but to remove that culture of "Us vs Them / Go Home Alive and Nothing Else Matters" that police have now.
I think you're right about the training. I've heard stats that police academies do 90 hours of firearm training but only 10 hours of deescalation techniques.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 18:25 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 12:11:
Woman who called 911 to report disturbance shot dead by cops

Remember what I said the other day why people don't want to call the cops. America, you seriously need a better screening process and training. Hiring these cowardly, trigger happy sociopaths has to stop. I mean, US cops are killing more people in a single year than other police forces around the world do in a century.
How convenient that their body cams we're off.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 18:19 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 11:47:
Concerned passenger on a flight last year
"I donít know if you can make an announcement, but if you can you should say that whoever is farting in the area of rows 10 to 12 should definitely see a doctor because they might have ass cancer"
The media section is outstanding, the texting psa should be on every channel.
Last year I was working on a project with a few other devs in the same conference room when one of them farted. It was so awful that we all started gagging and had to vacate the room. The guy went to the bathroom and didn't return for 45m. Obviously he was in some kind of intestinal distress. We couldn't go back in for 30 m. I can't imagine if he'd done that on an airplane.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 18:15 theglaze

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 16:42 ledhead1969

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 15:51:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 15:21:
What's really crazy, looking at that Guardian page, is how many of the gunshot fatalities are to old women, 50+ years old. Cops are seriously that cowardly?

No, they aren't all black criminals, random Trump supporter who will undoubtedly comment on this.
A total of 62 females out of 1093. There is no reason for LEO's to be any more careful around women, they have just as much access to firearms as men. imho the number seems low.
And of the 18 women in the 45+ age group, 7 of those died by being struck by vehicle. tldr Focusing on this one group is not the battle you are looking for.

As for race, there are a disproportionate number of "other than white" deaths that even a tRUMP supporter could see, one would hope.

I wouldn't call it a battle, and to be honest I didn't even take the time to analyze the data like you clearly did, to get some actual numbers. I did a quick scroll through the pictures shown, definitely not a scientific method. Yes, the racial disparity is shown in several formats by that page, on the other hand.

Regardless of race, 1000+ deaths a year(actually reported deaths, the real numbers are !?) directly attributed to police, is insane.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2017/

Wealth of data there to analyze. Not sure how to download the CSV and open it in Excel. Comes across as XML for me.

(edit) http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/07/17/mpd-officer-shot-woman-identified/

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2017, 17:55.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 15:51 MoreLuckThanSkill

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 15:21:

No, they aren't all black criminals, random Trump supporter who will undoubtedly comment on this.
A total of 62 females out of 1093. There is no reason for LEO's to be any more careful around women, they have just as much access to firearms as men. imho the number seems low.
And of the 18 women in the 45+ age group, 7 of those died by being struck by vehicle. tldr Focusing on this one group is not the battle you are looking for.

As for race, there are a disproportionate number of "other than white" deaths that even a tRUMP supporter could see, one would hope.

I wouldn't call it a battle, and to be honest I didn't even take the time to analyze the data like you clearly did, to get some actual numbers. I did a quick scroll through the pictures shown, definitely not a scientific method. Yes, the racial disparity is shown in several formats by that page, on the other hand.

Regardless of race, 1000+ deaths a year(actually reported deaths, the real numbers are !?) directly attributed to police, is insane.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo