Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday

The MWO Forums offer patch notes for a new version 1.4.126 patch for MechWarrior Online coming to the multiplayer BattleTech game on July 18th (thanks Rhialto). This will bring a timeline advancement, new equipment, seasonal adjustments, and new clans. The notes are quite extensive, kicked off by a brief intro:

A new era is finally upon us. Quartermasters throughout the Clan and Inner Sphere territories are deploying shipments of an array of new equipment and weaponry, while rumors of additional Clan forces arriving from beyond the Periphery are swirling throughout the Inner Sphere.

Due to their length, we're going to break from tradition a bit and dispense with the usual intro summary for these patch notes. So without further delay, let's get into what's arriving in our upcoming July 18th patch!

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 18, 2017, 12:07 Peter M. Smith

Task wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 14:51:
Um, ok? Challenge accepted. Someone has made a scorpion model for BT and they are hoping to import it in - just needs animation (the tricky part).

As I said, I wish them the best of luck getting the animation to look good. While I'm not much of a fan of the Scorpion (or the Goliath), the Stalking Spider has always a place in my heart.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 18, 2017, 02:31 SunnyD

Primalchrome wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 17:16:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 14:17:
Primalchrome wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 11:40:
Much better even in beta than the old MechAssault games.

Do you mean MechCommander? Comparing to MechAssault seems about as relevant as comparing to... I don't know, the card game. Either of the old Crescent Hawk games would be a closer match.
Yes sir. MechCommander, not Assault. Too many games, too much time. The old Crescent Hawks Revenge series was a lot of fun though.

I have my Infocom box of Battletech: Crescent Hawks Inception in the bookcase nearby next to all the Mechwarrior cases. Much love for the genre. Still waiting for a Battletech/Mechwarrior MMO with Great Houses vying for control of galaxy and Lostech caches, Inner Sphere and Clans going for one anothers' throats, merc outfits selling services filling whatever slot their warfighting specialities cover within a total Space / Air / Land war environment.

Cain't be more'n a couple more decades o' waitin', right? Dare to dream.

~Finis~

15. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 17:16 Primalchrome

Do you mean MechCommander? Comparing to MechAssault seems about as relevant as comparing to... I don't know, the card game. Either of the old Crescent Hawk games would be a closer match.
Yes sir. MechCommander, not Assault. Too many games, too much time. The old Crescent Hawks Revenge series was a lot of fun though.

14. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 15:28 Orogogus

Earth Defense Force, EDF 4.1 being the latest iteration. It's a Japanese console/PC shooter, decidedly not a AAA release.

Videos of the Depth Crawler, a cute little Tarantula-like quad walker:

Link
Link

13. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 15:17 Task

Orogogus wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 15:08:
I think the challenge was a lot lower back in the day just because the terrain in MW2 (and 3) was so flat, making animation less of an issue. Still, there are games that have 4-legged walkers. I know the latest EDF game had one, and that game has hilly terrain and caves to deal with. And there are Star Wars games with AT-ATs, although I don't think they go walking over any hills.

Yes I know. If you haven't though check out the latest Q&A video from HBS. I think that animator has the best answer for when presented with a challenge - just go for it and get as far as you can before hitting that wall. I don't know what EDF is btw.

MekPak Variants Mod - BattleTech Beta

12. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 15:12 Task

Do you mean MechCommander? Comparing to MechAssault seems about as relevant as comparing to... I don't know, the card game.

I still don't understand why people give MechAssault a bad rap. It wasn't supposed to be the pinnacle of canon - it was simply a console game with BattleTech Mechs in it, and from understanding, it was a top pick for XBox owners and well rated by them. And that other game MechCommander is considered on the only and best "RTS" versions of BattleTech Related-Things™.

In the usual fashion though, people that still play MWO still seem to get defensive. I don't like playing it or having to grind hours on end like a lemming, that's all. I want all Mechs for 50$ and the ability to mod, which is basically what I'm getting with HBS BattleTech, so at least that's something.

11. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 15:08 Orogogus

I think the challenge was a lot lower back in the day just because the terrain in MW2 (and 3) was so flat, making animation less of an issue. Still, there are games that have 4-legged walkers. I know the latest EDF game had one, and that game has hilly terrain and caves to deal with. And there are Star Wars games with AT-ATs, although I don't think they go walking over any hills.  

10. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 14:51 Task

Peter M. Smith wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 14:04:
Task wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 11:29:
Regards to this thread, one thing that would genuinely impress me with MWO is if they actually added a Scorpion or Goliath. There has been no quad in MW game since 2.

Getting the animation worked out so the Quads would move without looking stupid? Good luck with that.

Um, ok? Challenge accepted. Someone has made a scorpion model for BT and they are hoping to import it in - just needs animation (the tricky part). In the BT Q&A (going off topic again), one of the animators said don't discount a Mech like a Scorpion, because to her its an interesting challenge as an animator. It's better to think like that imo. Back in the day of MW2, since it was a premium game, they added the Scorpion for "fun" and for the challenge of coding a 4 legged 'Mech.

9. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 14:17 Orogogus

Re: MWO: its large stable of 'Mechs notwithstanding, there's almost nothing else out there currently being updated. MWO, Hawken and the Mechwarrior:Living Legends mod, and I think that's it.

8. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 14:04 Peter M. Smith

Task wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 11:29:
Regards to this thread, one thing that would genuinely impress me with MWO is if they actually added a Scorpion or Goliath. There has been no quad in MW game since 2.

Getting the animation worked out so the Quads would move without looking stupid? Good luck with that.

7. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 11:40 Primalchrome

I still play MWO off and on. It has progressed over the years into a pretty decent Mechwarrior arena shooter. Most of the people that rail against it would be just as vocal regardless of the dev or game released. The old school battletech fanbase is a significant detriment to any new game coming out. Hell, you hear alot of the purists whining about Harebrained's new product as well...and it is a damn fine adaptation. Much better even in beta than the old MechAssault games.

6. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 11:29 Task

Peter M. Smith wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 11:08:
I just took a look at the link in your sig, that's some pretty cool stuff going on.

Indeed. It's going to be crazy once the full game is out.

5. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 11:08 Peter M. Smith

I just took a look at the link in your sig, that's some pretty cool stuff going on.  

4. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 09:41 Task

Peter M. Smith wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 08:37:
Ozmodan wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 07:31:
I am surprised this game is still running. I would have thought by now the whales would have left for new horizons.

The longer this game runs, the more BattleMechs are available for HBS's BattleTech game. For that reason alone I wish MWO the greatest success.

That's one point, however they (the BattleTech HBS game community) figured out how to add custom 3D models into BattleTech and other cool stuff. And that is pretty amazing considering the game is just in Beta and we have this knowledge available already. You can export models from 3DSmax, Blender, etc. into the model format Unity uses. So regardless if MWO continues or not, missing Mechs will be added over time so the BattleTech game will be quite literally Open Season for modding. Personally I think that's a positive thing, since relying on a completely different game for 3D models just isn't going to cut it when some of us want stuff like Scorpions and Stingers.

That means there could be loads of custom content in the future of that game. And that has me kind of excited, since for the first time in 10 years, I'm reading up on tutorials again for 3D modeling, animating, etc.

3. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 08:37 Peter M. Smith

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 07:31:
I am surprised this game is still running. I would have thought by now the whales would have left for new horizons.

The longer this game runs, the more BattleMechs are available for HBS's BattleTech game. For that reason alone I wish MWO the greatest success.

2. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 08:36 Task

Well same as any f2p that someone is addicted to. Sort of like gambling (doing something over and over) once you have hundreds or thousands invested in doing it, they get hooked into the same endless cycle. In this case for MWO, I think it's also a case of the remaining high spenders being highly afraid this game is the 'last' multiplayer-MW-esque thing (even if its a shoddier version of MW4 multiplayer).  

1. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 07:31 Ozmodan

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo