Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 10:39 Mr. Tact

I can't quite put the reason into words, but I've never been able to get into Doctor Who. Best I could do is say, it is a bit too quirky for my tastes. The idea of a female Doctor Who seems intriguing though, if the writers handle it correctly...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 09:33 eRe4s3r

Icewind wrote on Jul 16, 2017, 23:49:
A female Dr. Who isn't retconning, since the Master - his arch nemesis - regenerated as a female too. However, I do think that the timing of this smacks of capitulation, "let's get more females into the fandom" manipulation, and a passionate attempt to appeal to the "diversity or death" crowd.

I stopped watching a few episodes into Capaldi's Who though, since he was by far the least exciting Dr Who since the series' revival began.

I'll tune in for a few eps and see if Whittaker is any good, but the whole situation seems like an attention grab to me. Especially after the ratings during Capaldi's reign went down.

The real problem of Doctor Who is that you can sum up the plot progress in 2 sentences, for the entire season. And that they wasted 6 episodes on 1 plot point

18. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Jul 17, 2017, 09:19 Shineyguy

Kxmode wrote on Jul 16, 2017, 23:44:
Mass Effect Andromeda, 10-hour trial, is not 10 hours. It's up to 10 hours or until you reach the door in the lake on Eos. I got this lovely message telling me to buy the game to continue the adventure even though I had 4 hours remaining. EA shenanigans strike again.

You do know you can play as much MP as you want, no limits up to those 10 hours too, right?

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 00:39 Wallshadows

That's a bummer to hear about Romero. Even more of a shame that he couldn't adapt his films to a modern age too to provide more relevant social commentary. I hold Night, Dawn and Day close to my heart since they are some of the first horror movies I ever got to watch but Land, Diary and Survival was just one train wreck after another.

I remember watching Land in a sleazy dump of a movie theater with maybe one other person and I tried real hard to give it a chance but the magic just wasn't there. Even Dennis Hopper couldn't save it...

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2017, 23:49 Icewind

A female Dr. Who isn't retconning, since the Master - his arch nemesis - regenerated as a female too. However, I do think that the timing of this smacks of capitulation, "let's get more females into the fandom" manipulation, and a passionate attempt to appeal to the "diversity or death" crowd.

I stopped watching a few episodes into Capaldi's Who though, since he was by far the least exciting Dr Who since the series' revival began.

I'll tune in for a few eps and see if Whittaker is any good, but the whole situation seems like an attention grab to me. Especially after the ratings during Capaldi's reign went down.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2017, 23:44 Kxmode

Mass Effect Andromeda, 10-hour trial, is not 10 hours. It's up to 10 hours or until you reach the door in the lake on Eos. I got this lovely message telling me to buy the game to continue the adventure even though I had 4 hours remaining. EA shenanigans strike again.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2017, 23:41 WarPig

As one of the few people around here who's old enough to remember "Family Affair" I have to admit I thought the same thing when I saw the name Jodie Whittaker.

God I hated that show!

GO SEAHAWKS!

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2017, 23:33 Retired

Toilet Shopping.

Bought a shitter this week. Such an odd experience. I mean, the stores have them up high, so you can't even sit on them to see if you like the height, etc.......you don't get to demo them, and you can't do anything but use guess work on how it will function unless you buy the same one a friend has that you enjoy using - which in and of itself is kinda weird.

Bought the cheapest one. It doesn't leak and works ok. Won't be mine much longer anyway. I do like that it has a low profile and is low to the ground.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2017, 22:59 Mr. Tact

Yeah, the bicycle one is very thought provoking. Presumably if riding a bicycle can be so strongly ingrained into your brain, other things can too -- say like... political positions.

So, are people "stuck" believing their political positions, literally unable to change. Or at least, so significantly resistant to the point that only persistent, long term, training can change it. I don't know if that's a valid comparison or not, but based on what I've seen over the last few years it wouldn't surprise me if it was valid.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2017, 22:28 Cutter

So George Romero and Martin Landau die on my birthday? Super. Thanks guys. I liked George but I was always a fan of Martin, particularly in Space 1999.

Female Dr. Who? Sigh. No. Just no. Does every last bastion of white male geekdom have to be retconned and obliterated to fit the marketing departments desire for complete market saturation wholly for profit and not a single thought to what made it good? I still remember watching Tom Baker as the Doctor as a kid. Maybe 1 in a million people knew who Dr. Who was or what it was about. I so hate all this whole bullshit geek is chic movement. Fairweather geeks aren't real geeks.

Could messing with the mosquito population have some unforeseen disastrous consequences? Not likely.

Famous last words. I guess if the zombie apocalypse starts in Fresno we'll know. Yeah, man messing with nature in a lab always turns out well. Rolleyes

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

10. Re: Rolling Shutter Effect Explained!. Jul 16, 2017, 22:21 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jul 16, 2017, 21:46:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 16, 2017, 20:33:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 16, 2017, 20:00:
Very cool, that guy's videos are usually interesting.
If i had to pick a favorite it would be the bicycle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFzDaBzBlL0

I like the Prince Rupert's Drop vs. bullets.

Did you see that the higher velocity pointy bullets beat the drop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5MORochIDw

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

9. Re: Rolling Shutter Effect Explained!. Jul 16, 2017, 21:46 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 16, 2017, 20:33:
If i had to pick a favorite it would be the bicycle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFzDaBzBlL0

I like the Prince Rupert's Drop vs. bullets.

Stay a while, and listen.

8. Re: Rolling Shutter Effect Explained!. Jul 16, 2017, 21:45 jdreyer

Educational and entertaining.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2017, 20:50 GothicWizard

Fantaz wrote on Jul 16, 2017, 18:58:
R.I.P. George Romero

the inventor of zombies

He didn't "invent" the idea or concept. Predated him quite a bit. Check out Voodoo/Hoodoo mysticism or farther back to the African roots of the mythos. He simply popularized it.

6. Re: Rolling Shutter Effect Explained!. Jul 16, 2017, 20:33 RedEye9

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2017, 20:16 jdreyer

Fantaz wrote on Jul 16, 2017, 18:58:
R.I.P. George Romero

the inventor of zombies

Indeed. Film, TV, and games would be a very different place without his contributions. RIP, and never forgotten.

4. Re: Rolling Shutter Effect Explained!. Jul 16, 2017, 20:00 Mr. Tact

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2017, 19:32 NKD

If George Romero doesn't come back as a zombie I will be very upset.  

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2017, 19:31 afka Rossini

I'm guessin' there's something you've GoT to watch tonite?  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2017, 18:58 Fantaz

R.I.P. George Romero

the inventor of zombies

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo