Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I've been working on earlier weekend updates (I'm Chevy Chase, and you're not!), but today is a bit earlier than usual even with that. But it will be mismatched bookends this weekend, as I don't think I'll end up posting an update tomorrow until later in the day/early evening.

Early Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Stories: Sinkhole swallows homes in Florida.
Science: Tardigrade water bears could survive 10 billion years, astrophysicists claim.
Inside Verily's plan to fight mosquitoes with 20 million more mosquitoes.
Media: SPIDER-MAN 2 (Honest Game Trailers).
Coming in HOT!
Reduce Crime AND Save Money: Treat Addiction...
Auctions: Billy Corgan is selling off his used gear, including Smashing Pumpkins guitars and amps.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2017, 16:09 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2017, 15:03:
Police say they shot two dogs who ‘charged’ at an officer. Then the homeowner posted her video

Hope they nail that fucker right to the wall. They saw crime has been decreasing over the last decade or two. I don't think so. I firmly believe it's people would rather deal with it by themselves than involve cops because you're in a hell of a lot more danger with cops around than criminals. That's how fucking bad it is. It says a lot when people are more afraid of cops than crooks. They're really nothing more than just a huge gang working for the rich at this point in time.

South Park parodied this 20 years ago.

"It's coming right for us!"

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2017, 16:05 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 15, 2017, 21:26:
So I have to deal with junkies every FUCKING day next door still.

Here is how you fix it.

Open drug centers.
Have users come in and sign their life away. Personal property, vehicles, children etc.
Give users all the drugs they want.
Let them overdose, use whatever body parts you can.
Cremate them and use the ashes for a garden.

You clean out the crap end of the gene pool, I quit paying for their drug treatment/food stamps/welfare/etc.

It's not very pretty, but it's realistic and would take care of the problem, AND deal with the 'war on drugs'.

I'm assuming the problem with the junkies isn't the drugs themselves, but the stigma of illegality and all the extracurricular activities junkies must do to get their next fix.

In Liverpool 20 years ago, the government ran an experiment where they provided drugs to addicts at cost (like $5 a week). The only stipulations were they had to register as an addict and go to counselling once a week. This allowed addicts to focus on living their lives instead of focusing 80 hours a week on earning the cash to pay for their next fix. It was a huge success, and crime across the board fell by more than half. Studies show that most addicts are able to stop after some time.

Would that we could get some of that here.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2017, 02:53 Tipsy McStagger

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 15, 2017, 21:26:

Here is how you fix it.

Open drug centers.
Have users come in and sign their life away. Personal property, vehicles, children etc.

You clean out the crap end of the gene pool, I quit paying for their drug treatment/food stamps/welfare/etc.

It's not very pretty, but it's realistic and would take care of the problem, AND deal with the 'war on drugs'.

I actually think this massive string of "tainted" fentanyl that's been going on here in Canada is someone wanting to thin the herd.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2017, 00:15 Dirwulf

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 15, 2017, 15:24:
A pitt bull wagging its tail means nothing, the most that will come of this is the officer will be razzed for being a bad shot.

While Staffordshire Terriers are a bull terrier breed, they are notoriously bad guard dogs because they love everybody. About the only they they will do is try to lick you to death.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2017, 22:11 RedEye9

What, you mean our current method of criminalizing drug abuse and privatizing prisons is not working?

Even when adjusting for other factors, such as crime victimization, social service spending and economic development, the United States incarcerates people at a higher rate than other countries.
“Though only 5 percent of the world’s population lives in the United States, it is home to 25 percent of the world’s prison population. … Not only does the current overpopulated, underfunded system hurt those incarcerated, it also digs deeper into the pockets of taxpaying Americans.”

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2017, 22:22.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2017, 21:31 Mr. Tact

Even if you could do that, it wouldn't work. There are too many "functional addicts". ie.. people who abuse drugs, but aren't total losers, they can hold onto a job. And not long after you started doing it, even the total losers would start doing a better job of hiding. You'd see a short term decrease, but it wouldn't be a long term solution.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2017, 21:26 The Half Elf

Here is how you fix it.

Open drug centers.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2017, 15:55 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2017, 15:03:
Hope they nail that fucker right to the wall.
Keep dreaming -- police officers have literally shot people in the back as they were running away and not been convicted of any wrong doing.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2017, 15:24 RedEye9

A pitt bull wagging its tail means nothing, the most that will come of this is the officer will be razzed for being a bad shot.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2017, 15:03 Cutter

Police say they shot two dogs who ‘charged’ at an officer. Then the homeowner posted her video

Hope they nail that fucker right to the wall. They saw crime has been decreasing over the last decade or two. I don't think so. I firmly believe it's people would rather deal with it by themselves than involve cops because you're in a hell of a lot more danger with cops around than criminals. That's how fucking bad it is. It says a lot when people are more afraid of cops than crooks. They're really nothing more than just a huge gang working for the rich at this point in time.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2017, 14:44 jdreyer

Tardigrade water bears could survive 10 billion years, astrophysicists claim.

I'm actually involved in a longitudinal study to verify this. We started last year. Only 9,999,999,999 more years to go!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2017, 13:33 Mr. Tact

Yeah, in certain parts of the country it has to be on the checklist now... to question if there has been any sinkhole activity anywhere near the lot and preferably to have the site tested. Not to mention speaking with your lawyer about insurance coverage and responsibility of such a possibility.

Thinking about it, just asking your insurance agent about coverage of such an incident should give you a good idea of the level of concern. Should be cheap coverage, if it isn't.... bad news..

1. Sinkhole Jul 15, 2017, 11:22 Creston

From the article, it says the houses were built on a site already known as a sinkhole. I wonder if the home owners were informed of this fact when they bought the houses. If not, I'm gonna guess there will be some lawsuits.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo