Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial

Mass Effect website now offers a free trial of Mass Effect: Andromeda, the latest installment in the space opera series (thanks Rock, Paper, Shotgun). This will allow ten hours of play in the game between now and November 1st. Here are the details:

TRIAL DETAILS
Explore a new galaxy in the Mass Effect: Andromeda trial through November 1, 2017. If you’ve already taken part in the Origin 10-hour Play First trial, you can still join this free trial and play the time you have remaining.

FULL GAME
Play Up To 10 Hours
This is the perfect time to join the fight for humanity’s new home. Play unlimited Multiplayer and play through to the first planet in Single Player.

SEAMLESS TRANSITION
Carry Over Save Progression
If you enjoy the trial and decide to purchase the full game, your saved progress carries over so you can pick right up where you left off.

TRY ALL MODES
Single and Multiplayer
All game modes are available in the trial so you can get a true sense of the game.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 18, 2017, 02:26 Quinn

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 09:06:
Redmask wrote on Jul 16, 2017, 17:09:
Mass Effect Chat in the mofuckin Mass Effect thread: is the DLC to this actually cancelled? I recall a rumor saying it was. I was curious to see if Bioware Montreal could redeem themselves with the DLC but its looking increasingly like they've been put on patch support and that no DLC will come. Didn't they sell a Season Pass with this? I wonder if people will get refunds.

Fucking base game is boring ass shit and the multiplayer is repetitive/bad but there is potential if nothing else.

I hope Anthem is good otherwise EA is going to Maxis the shit out of Bioware.

If you don't hear anything about DLC when the CES 2017 happens then you can assume ME:A is dead to EA, bit too early to really say though. But as others have said, they gonna push their Anthem game, which is fine I guess if it has SP, but I won't be playing an OPEN WORLD coop game online ever. The gameplay design for SOLO play is always shit in such games -.-

That's the same case I made in the Anthem reveal thread. Took an hour of my life having to explain that assertion to some people.

Anyway I share your fear. It's why I cannot look forward to Anthem.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 17, 2017, 09:06 eRe4s3r

Redmask wrote on Jul 16, 2017, 17:09:
Mass Effect Chat in the mofuckin Mass Effect thread: is the DLC to this actually cancelled? I recall a rumor saying it was. I was curious to see if Bioware Montreal could redeem themselves with the DLC but its looking increasingly like they've been put on patch support and that no DLC will come. Didn't they sell a Season Pass with this? I wonder if people will get refunds.

Fucking base game is boring ass shit and the multiplayer is repetitive/bad but there is potential if nothing else.

If you don't hear anything about DLC when the CES 2017 happens then you can assume ME:A is dead to EA, bit too early to really say though. But as others have said, they gonna push their Anthem game, which is fine I guess if it has SP, but I won't be playing an OPEN WORLD coop game online ever. The gameplay design for SOLO play is always shit in such games -.-

19. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 16, 2017, 17:09 Redmask

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 14, 2017, 20:31 Rigs

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 19:57:
Hot damn, and I thought I had it bad. I did a trial with 400mbit cable (Vodafone) where I live, still have a 6mbit DSL line that is not filtered/measured/metered

When I used 70gb a day streaming from Netflix 4K as test, everything was fine, but as soon as I had to download something sized 2.6mb from dropbox, I got downrated to 128kbit/s for an entire 24 hours from that moment on, which meant I couldn't use my paid for 400mbit Internet connection for WORK. You can guess how fast I revoked the contract. ~.~

When I tested this, it seemed that as soon as I am over 10gb down/up combined, even a single connection to a filehoster (I need them for my work) throttles the connection down for 24hrs. Torrents as well (which kicked me really hard when I wanted to download via Battle.net D3)

TL;DR, I am still stuck on an unlimited/unthrotttled 6mbit DSL line because of this shit. And I can hardly fathom how you live with 10GB monthly limit, that's just crazy, I can't even handle a 10gb DAILY limit and I am NOT a heavy user....

You have my pity

Heh, I would absolutely cherish a broadband-ish connection with no cap like it was crystal clear mountain water welling up in the desert! Seriously. I didn't even tell you how much I pay for this privilege...and it's not as easy an answer as you might think. We have a two-year contract (because DISH) and it was supposed to be $49/month.

But.

We found as the months went on, the price would keep going up and up. Finally found out that there's an option within the online account settings that lets a user on the account charge $10 for a GIG of extra data if you've gone over your daily cap. So that' $10 for one gigabyte. It's like asking $5 for a pack of gum or $5 for a gallon of gas when the station on the other side is selling it for $2, you just wouldn't do it. EVER. No matter how desperate. But, apparently, and this is where DISH's wonderful 'heard-all-the-heartbreaking-stories' comes in again, someone on our account was hitting it up for this $10/1gig 4-5 times a month! Who? I haven't found out yet. But DISH, of course, hears me say, 'I dunno who did it, I didn't do it!', gives you the Bored look and says 'sorry, can't help you' because it came from our IP address, so, of course, I did it and just don't want to pay for it. Until two months ago, when our bills were coming in at $89 and $100/month (fucking Christ! For this?!?), I had no idea the option even existed until they pointed it out. Since then I've done everything I can to block the page, block all users on the wifi except those I allow, even SHUT DOWN the router at night when everyone goes to bed...only for it to show up next month same as before!

So, that's a thing. And, living with a 10gb/month cap? You get creative. I download most updates in the 2am-8am range and only watch Youtube at the beginning of the month or else it's 144p and waiting 20 mins for it to buffer. Before last year, when I moved here, we were on a 50gb down/15gb up cable connection and I had the audacity to complain about it then. Oh how I'd like to punch myself in the face now...

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 14, 2017, 19:57 eRe4s3r

Rigs wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 19:17:
HoSpanky wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 17:19:
Wait...you're on dialup? Please tell me that's an exaggeration. I'm on a rather sketchy 18mb until they roll fiber through my neighborhood, that sort of download is a "welp, it'll be done by the time I get home from work tomorrow" for me.

Not much of an exaggeration, to be honest. I'm on satellite, (there's no DSL or cable in my little spot (in the middle of nowhere), though there's cable about a mile and a half down the street. If we pay $9,000 plus labor, they'll install the cable...oh, and get 400 signatures) supposedly 20 down and 5~ish up but I've never seen close to that. In addition to the major latency (which is to be expected on a satellite, so I won't knock it for that), the killer for me is the fucking data cap!

I had satellite internet way back in 2008, when we got 6 down and 1 up but we had NO cap! Now, almost ten years later, when it makes no sense, there's one. In a day and age where HD movies are streamed to multiple spots in a household, along with streaming music and gaming, Hughes/Dish/AT&T et al. think a 10gb day cap (8am-2am) for THE MONTH is reasonable! Wtf (If you manage to stay up until 2am-8am (or get up super early), you can use a 50gb cap for the month).

My house, which has only two computers and two tablets (one droid, one Gen2 iPad), goes through the 10gb cap in SIX DAYS. After which, we are throttled to ISDN speeds, 128k down! I'm not kidding. So we have to go the rest of the month at ISDN speeds for our daily 'surfing' (unless we stay up). We managed to last 8 days this time, we now have 12 days before we reset (every 26th). God have mercy on our souls.

If all that wasn't bad enough, DISH doesn't play fair. Our cap will go down even when we're not using it. Last year, when Hurricane Hermine came smashing through, we lost power for exactly 36 hours. Before the power went out, we had 2 gigs and change left on our cap. When we got power 36 hours later, it was gone. When you call and complain, they treat you like they've heard it all before, akin to telling a teacher your dog ate your homework and won't do anything about it. Many have complained, including me. They do nothing.

=-Rigs-=

Hot damn, and I thought I had it bad. I did a trial with 400mbit cable (Vodafone) where I live, still have a 6mbit DSL line that is not filtered/measured/metered

When I used 70gb a day streaming from Netflix 4K as test, everything was fine, but as soon as I had to download something sized 2.6mb from dropbox, I got downrated to 128kbit/s for an entire 24 hours from that moment on, which meant I couldn't use my paid for 400mbit Internet connection for WORK. You can guess how fast I revoked the contract. ~.~

When I tested this, it seemed that as soon as I am over 10gb down/up combined, even a single connection to a filehoster (I need them for my work) throttles the connection down for 24hrs. Torrents as well (which kicked me really hard when I wanted to download via Battle.net D3)

TL;DR, I am still stuck on an unlimited/unthrotttled 6mbit DSL line because of this shit. And I can hardly fathom how you live with 10GB monthly limit, that's just crazy, I can't even handle a 10gb DAILY limit and I am NOT a heavy user....

You have my pity

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 14, 2017, 19:17 Rigs

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 17:19:
Wait...you're on dialup? Please tell me that's an exaggeration. I'm on a rather sketchy 18mb until they roll fiber through my neighborhood, that sort of download is a "welp, it'll be done by the time I get home from work tomorrow" for me.

Not much of an exaggeration, to be honest. I'm on satellite, (there's no DSL or cable in my little spot (in the middle of nowhere), though there's cable about a mile and a half down the street. If we pay $9,000 plus labor, they'll install the cable...oh, and get 400 signatures) supposedly 20 down and 5~ish up but I've never seen close to that. In addition to the major latency (which is to be expected on a satellite, so I won't knock it for that), the killer for me is the fucking data cap!

I had satellite internet way back in 2008, when we got 6 down and 1 up but we had NO cap! Now, almost ten years later, when it makes no sense, there's one. In a day and age where HD movies are streamed to multiple spots in a household, along with streaming music and gaming, Hughes/Dish/AT&T et al. think a 10gb day cap (8am-2am) for THE MONTH is reasonable! Wtf (If you manage to stay up until 2am-8am (or get up super early), you can use a 50gb cap for the month).

My house, which has only two computers and two tablets (one droid, one Gen2 iPad), goes through the 10gb cap in SIX DAYS. After which, we are throttled to ISDN speeds, 128k down! I'm not kidding. So we have to go the rest of the month at ISDN speeds for our daily 'surfing' (unless we stay up). We managed to last 8 days this time, we now have 12 days before we reset (every 26th). God have mercy on our souls.

If all that wasn't bad enough, DISH doesn't play fair. Our cap will go down even when we're not using it. Last year, when Hurricane Hermine came smashing through, we lost power for exactly 36 hours. Before the power went out, we had 2 gigs and change left on our cap. When we got power 36 hours later, it was gone. When you call and complain, they treat you like they've heard it all before, akin to telling a teacher your dog ate your homework and won't do anything about it. Many have complained, including me. They do nothing.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2017, 19:30.

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

15. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 14, 2017, 19:16 kraken

I'm going to test it out, however being disabled I need to use a controller D-Pad for WASD keys plus keyboard and mouse, and the Frostbite engine doesn't play well with a controller in software mode where you assign the keys.

Edit: Well, well. This is the first Frostbite game I've played where it actually works with my D-Pad software mode.

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2017, 22:05.

14. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 14, 2017, 19:14 CJ_Parker

I don't think they really give a shit. It's all about Anthem for them now. Why even invest much in a story-driven and single player focused game when you can make 100x the profit from fleecing the multiplayer sheeple who buy skins, lootboxes or P2W stuff like hotcakes?

With all of the staff changes during MEA development, it seems obvious to me that they degraded the franchise to B material before it was even released. They probably looked at billion dollar gigs like Destiny and GTA Online and went 'fuck Mass Effect, let's instead have some of that delicious cake that Bunghole and Crotchstar are having'.
So the A team was shifted to work on Anthem and MEA became an afterthought which they no longer even give a real fuck about.

13. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 14, 2017, 18:57 Prez

Overon wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 18:03:
So the desperation has set it. Pumping up the player count in order to prevent EA from killing the franchise?

I think at this point it would be more resignation instead of desperation. The series has been indefinitely put on hold because of the disappointing performance of Andromeda. (Disappointing to EA who was expecting double the sales it actually got anyway).

Now it's just a matter of ensuring the player base for multiplayer stays healthy enough to keep it from being another Battleborn I think.

I don't think there's much danger of EA killing the franchise altogether. I agree with the theory that I've read that EA intends to wait until the original team that made the original trilogy is done with their current project. Which means it could be another LONG wait for another Mass Effect.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 14, 2017, 18:03 Overon

So the desperation has set it. Pumping up the player count in order to prevent EA from killing the franchise?  

11. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 14, 2017, 17:19 HoSpanky

Rigs wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 16:39:
Yeah, ORigin was screaming this at me this morning when it needed to do it's weekly shit, shower and shave (update). I would try it if my internet connection wasn't such shit. I was checking out the Battlefront trial too, 10 hours on that but the download is a 56k-frying 53 gigs! Like, WTF?! I'm not gonna be able to play the whole thing in ten hours (well...ok, probably not ALL of it...there is that weird diorama mode...lol). No thanks, EA! How bout you just gives us what we need at that moment and then send us the rest piece-meal once we get to that point, eh? No? I thought not.

=-Rigs-=

10. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 14, 2017, 16:39 Rigs

Yeah, ORigin was screaming this at me this morning when it needed to do it's weekly shit, shower and shave (update). I would try it if my internet connection wasn't such shit. I was checking out the Battlefront trial too, 10 hours on that but the download is a 56k-frying 53 gigs! Like, WTF?! I'm not gonna be able to play the whole thing in ten hours (well...ok, probably not ALL of it...there is that weird diorama mode...lol). No thanks, EA! How bout you just gives us what we need at that moment and then send us the rest piece-meal once we get to that point, eh? No? I thought not.

=-Rigs-=

9. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 14, 2017, 13:20 NKD

Don't bother with the single player, the first planet is literally the most boring one. Just play multiplayer.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/bad_cop_no_donut - For the latest developments in police misconduct in the US.

8. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 14, 2017, 12:54 Rhett

I enjoyed that planet. That was part of what got me to buy ME:A back when it first came out in the original trial. It's pretty, open, and helps to pick up the combat system.

Game's worth a play if only for the gameplay, if you enjoy third person shooters. MP is still being patched/added to regularly as well.

7. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 14, 2017, 12:35 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 11:10:
DarkCntry wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 11:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 10:36:
10 hours of play..

I wonder if with first planet they mean literally the starting world. That would be a big dick move.

It's the same trial that EA Access had, it goes up until entrance to the first Vault.

So only the first pre-colony pre-vault desert planet section? Not even all companions?

Correct. And that part of it is pretty damn boring. I'll repeat again that I can't fathom why they started with that boring-ass planet, rather than starting with the awesome ice-planet. (Forgot the names, sorry. Only play MP now.)

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 12:14:
I think it means as much multiplayer as you want up to 10 hours, as opposed to the limited single player portion.

Also correct.

6. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 14, 2017, 12:14 jacobvandy

I think it means as much multiplayer as you want up to 10 hours, as opposed to the limited single player portion.  

5. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 14, 2017, 12:05 Tipsy McStagger

Unlimited Multiplayer...

Well that's actually pretty sweet for those people..

4. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 14, 2017, 11:37 MajorD

Bored Sleeping

Still counting...

3. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 14, 2017, 11:10 eRe4s3r

DarkCntry wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 11:01:
10 hours of play..

I wonder if with first planet they mean literally the starting world. That would be a big dick move.

It's the same trial that EA Access had, it goes up until entrance to the first Vault.

So only the first pre-colony pre-vault desert planet section? Not even all companions?

2. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 14, 2017, 11:01 DarkCntry

10 hours of play..

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo