Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: New Video Card REDUX Jul 16, 2017, 19:55 Ant

Rigs wrote on Jul 15, 2017, 16:57:
Today! (July 15th, 1978, 2:55am, Newton, NJ...during a horrendous thunderstorm, so I've been told)...
Wow, my friend was born the same day and year! Definitely, not in NJ!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Cake... Jul 16, 2017, 19:53 Ant

"The cake is a lie."  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

17. Re: New Video Card REDUX Jul 15, 2017, 16:57 Rigs

SlimRam wrote on Jul 15, 2017, 08:11:
Rigs wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 20:54:
My local Best Buy has an EGA 1050ti for $169 and I might just take a early morning ride tomorrow to grab it (which is an hour and a half away) instead of waiting for NewEgg to send it as a birthday present to myself.
When's your B-Day? Mine's the 18th

Today! (July 15th, 1978, 2:55am, Newton, NJ...during a horrendous thunderstorm, so I've been told)...

Happy (early) Birthday, Slim! (If I'm not around in a few days)

And I'm now the proud owner of an EGA nVidia 1050ti/4gb! Fixin' to install it now...yay!

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

16. Re: New Video Card REDUX Jul 15, 2017, 08:11 SlimRam

My local Best Buy has an EGA 1050ti for $169 and I might just take a early morning ride tomorrow to grab it (which is an hour and a half away) instead of waiting for NewEgg to send it as a birthday present to myself.
When's your B-Day? Mine's the 18th

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 15, 2017, 02:20 Hoop

Rigs wrote on Jul 15, 2017, 01:54:
Hoop wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 23:27:
Well I posted the newegg link to the EVGA 1050ti for a reason having just bought the 1070 version.
As the user reviews state best build quality of the lot, quieter under load too.
I've done all the reviews EVGA nose ahead, would not go for the gigabyte it's pretty generic.

Yup, that's actually where I started from in looking at all the 1050, 1060, 1070, RX450-480's and narrowing it down to 1050's and 1060's. I appreciate the link. EGA looks to be the best for 1050ti's. It's just so weird getting back into the nVidia ecosystem again...but exciting, too! How's the 1070? (as if I need to ask Giggle )

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 21:15:
What you spend in gas counters any savings.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487291

Certainly seems that way but I don't like to wait. If it wasn't the weekend, I wouldn't mind so much but if I order it today, it won't get here until Tuesday/Wednesday. Or I could just take a an hour and some ride to Ocala....I just won't put the a/c on...

=-Rigs-=

The 1070 runs great but like I said the 1050ti will balance well with your comp specs giving you way more than you thought possible gaming into the future.
The EVGA 1050ti comes in the single fan SC & the higher spec twin fan SSC, if you can spend the little extra I would get the SSC
Let us know how things go.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2017, 02:34.

Um .. Behind you...

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 15, 2017, 01:54 Rigs

Hoop wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 23:27:
Well I posted the newegg link to the EVGA 1050ti for a reason having just bought the 1070 version.
As the user reviews state best build quality of the lot, quieter under load too.
I've done all the reviews EVGA nose ahead, would not go for the gigabyte it's pretty generic.

Yup, that's actually where I started from in looking at all the 1050, 1060, 1070, RX450-480's and narrowing it down to 1050's and 1060's. I appreciate the link. EGA looks to be the best for 1050ti's. It's just so weird getting back into the nVidia ecosystem again...but exciting, too! How's the 1070? (as if I need to ask Giggle )

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 21:15:

Certainly seems that way but I don't like to wait. If it wasn't the weekend, I wouldn't mind so much but if I order it today, it won't get here until Tuesday/Wednesday. Or I could just take a an hour and some ride to Ocala....I just won't put the a/c on...

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

13. Re: New Video Card REDUX Jul 14, 2017, 23:27 Hoop

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2017, 23:37.

Um .. Behind you...

12. Re: New Video Card REDUX Jul 14, 2017, 21:15 RedEye9

My local Best Buy has an EGA 1050ti for $169 and I might just take a early morning ride tomorrow to grab it (which is an hour and a half away) instead of waiting for NewEgg to send it as a birthday present to myself. I'll come back and give details on it's performance and difference to the HD7850 if I do decide to go. (This will be the first non-AMD video card I've gotten in...over 10 years! My first AMD/ATI was the venerable 9800Pro, which replaced my ailing Geforce2MX) Hell, on second thought, I might just sleep in...lol!

=-Rigs-=

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

11. New Video Card REDUX Jul 14, 2017, 20:54 Rigs

Ok, so I've decided on the card I'm getting. A lot of you gave the 1060 as a good choice but unfortunately, the price is just too high. I know I gave $200-$350 but in retrospect, that was too much. I wish I could go for a 1060/6gb, which seem to be very hot right now. 1070's and AMD-equivalents are just too far out of reach and way, way over-priced. I mean, RX480's for over $500?! Come on. If you're gonna spend that much, you might as well go for the 1080, you know?

Anyway, after much debate and thinking (and juggling the checkbook), I've narrowed it down to a 1050ti/4gb for $165. I wanted something with a good amount of RAM and the RX460's all usually have just 2gb of RAM. It's just not enough for the asking price, IMO. I found some odder deals, like a 960/2gb for $170 and 1060/3gb for $249 and even 770's for $200. But, in the end, the 1050ti with 4gb just seemed the best fit for the money spent. I think, going from an HD7850/1gb, it will be more than enough of a difference to keep me tied over until I need to build a new system.

Now, the question is what brand? XFX and EGA look like the front runners here but I've heard good things with Gigabyte and really horrible stories with MSI. Any thoughts?

My local Best Buy has an EGA 1050ti for $169 and I might just take a early morning ride tomorrow to grab it (which is an hour and a half away) instead of waiting for NewEgg to send it as a birthday present to myself. I'll come back and give details on it's performance and difference to the HD7850 if I do decide to go. (This will be the first non-AMD video card I've gotten in...over 10 years! My first AMD/ATI was the venerable 9800Pro, which replaced my ailing Geforce2MX) Hell, on second thought, I might just sleep in...lol!

=-Rigs-=

10. Re: Man trapped in an ATM Jul 14, 2017, 19:36 Mr. Tact

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 18:50:
What the hell, that article needs more info. I guess he's required to close the door?
Yeah, it is a little weird. Most ATMs are stand alone machines a person couldn't "walk into". I'm guessing this is a group of several ATMs in a bank installed into a wall. The back of the machines can be accessed from behind for money loading and maintenance in a small room. He's lucky it wasn't Friday afternoon and the bank was about to close. He would have been in pretty bad shape by Monday morning...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

9. Re: Man trapped in an ATM Jul 14, 2017, 18:50 MoreLuckThanSkill

What the hell, that article needs more info. I guess he's required to close the door? That seems inherently unsafe. At least tell a bank employee to check on him after 10 minutes or something? Ugh. Texas too, it could be 120 degrees outside.

Re: Mars, a sustained Mars colony with humans living there is not feasible right now, financially or from an engineering standpoint. Any 'colonists' would be dead of radiation exposure unless they build the entire thing deep underground, and that kind of construction simply cannot be done right now on another planet, without bankrupting us.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2017, 18:11 mag

NKD wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 17:54:
Wallshadows wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 13:55:
Mars is a lost cause anyway. What would we do when we get there? Pat ourselves on the back, poke the soil a bit, learn what we already know and later become abandoned like the Moon?

If anything, shift that budget in to one of the many moons which actually have reasons to be further explored.

While the destination is somewhat debatable, Mars is considered to be the easiest target, and the one we know the most variables about.

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 14:13:
Yeah, I have to agree. Other than "because it is there", there isn't much reason to go to Mars. If we ever get the technology to do some true terraforming, then it would make sense. I don't see happening in the next 100 years. Maybe it is poor perception on my part, but the rate of change in technology seems to be slowing some in the last decade or so...

Manned exploration is good for public image, and not much else. In other words, its the thing that keeps space in the public eye, and keeps the public willing to fund it. Robots are better and less risky, but aren't as sexy to the general public. You need a manned goal to keep things rolling, even if 99% of your launches are probes.

Also the technologies developed for manned space travel sometimes lead to intermediate technologies that can be used for other stuff here on Earth.

There are lots of things that people are just better at, too. And the hour transmission time to Mars doesn't help. A couple of humans and a dune buggy could accomplish in an afternoon pretty everything that the rovers have been able to do on Mars (and more!). At extraordinary cost, sure.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2017, 18:09 Mr. Tact

NKD wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 17:54:
Also the technologies developed for manned space travel sometimes lead to intermediate technologies that can be used for other stuff here on Earth.
This was certainly true for the Apollo missions. However, I think it is less applicable now. The world is just different now. I don't know for certain without looking it up, but my guess would be a Raspberry Pi has more computing power than the Apollo capsules did. It's possible a manned Mars mission could stimulate the existing infrastructure to create something "unexpected", but the chances are a lot less than they were in the 1960s...

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2017, 17:54 NKD

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 13:55:
Mars is a lost cause anyway. What would we do when we get there? Pat ourselves on the back, poke the soil a bit, learn what we already know and later become abandoned like the Moon?

If anything, shift that budget in to one of the many moons which actually have reasons to be further explored.

While the destination is somewhat debatable, Mars is considered to be the easiest target, and the one we know the most variables about.

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 14:13:
Yeah, I have to agree. Other than "because it is there", there isn't much reason to go to Mars. If we ever get the technology to do some true terraforming, then it would make sense. I don't see happening in the next 100 years. Maybe it is poor perception on my part, but the rate of change in technology seems to be slowing some in the last decade or so...

Manned exploration is good for public image, and not much else. In other words, its the thing that keeps space in the public eye, and keeps the public willing to fund it. Robots are better and less risky, but aren't as sexy to the general public. You need a manned goal to keep things rolling, even if 99% of your launches are probes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bad_cop_no_donut - For the latest developments in police misconduct in the US.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2017, 17:10 Hoop

NASA needs to advertise tickets to Mars.

Very very exclusive... watch my fingers, very, very exclusive.
So exclusive the tickets are made of unobtainium.
An amazing opportunity, just amazing...so amazing your rich friends money is no good.
Imagine that only your money built on the back of stupidity & the tiny tiny wages of other suckers is good.
The whole world is gonna be watching you exclusively.

Boom! you have the Kardashians & the Trumps locked in & trampling over each other to board the rocket.

Um .. Behind you...

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2017, 16:18 Cutter

I feel sorry for the guy that lands the role of Greedo at Star Wars land. Having to act out the getting shot part in the cantina with toruists playing Han over and over and over all day long, day in and day out. Or the slave chicks at Jabba's pad getting oggled by the nerd-pervs all day long, 'Hey baby, wanna handle my lightsaber?'

The eel story in the NYT is better. Love the post from the Oregon DOT...

"We're signing off for the evening, but I doubt we'll sleep tonight because...#eels"
— Oregon DOT

Good hopefully now they stop wasting money on this Mars nonsense now. How many billions have they already pissed away on this?

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2017, 14:20 LittleMe

I've never heard a government agency say they have too much money and are sending the excess back to the people from which it was coercively taken. That said, this just comes across as begging for more money which government agencies do all the time.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2017, 14:13 Mr. Tact

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2017, 13:55 Wallshadows

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo