Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

AMD Threadripper Pricing Unveiled

AMD announces Ryzen Threadripper pricing, saying this is a continuation of their "Ryzen Onslaught." This assault includes a $999 price tag on the Ryzen Threadripper 1950X top-of-the-line CPU that's half the price of Intel's Core i9-7980XE. Here's word:

Let’s start with my favorite CPU and platform, Ryzen Threadripper. Today, we are announcing that the processor we demonstrated for the first time at Computex will be called the Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 1950X.

You know about its 16 cores and 32 threads, but it also delivers a 3.4 GHz base clock and a 4.0 GHz boost. And I’m happy to say we’ve priced the Ryzen Threadripper 1950X at a suggested retail price of USD $999, bringing incredible price/performance ratios to the High End Desktop (HEDT) market. Joining the 16-core CPU will be the Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 1920X, which packs 12 cores and 24 threads, a 3.5 GHz base clock and a 4.0 GHz boost, at a USD $799 suggested retail price. In the video link above, you’ll see both processors delivering more performance than the competition’s flagship HEDT processor, the Core i9 7900X – the 1950X by a wide margin. What’s more, every Threadripper X399 platform supporting the 1950X and 1920X features 64 lanes of PCIe® with support for up to four GPUs. And like all Ryzen processors, both the 1950X and 1920X are unlocked for overclocking*.

The best news may be that you won’t have to wait long; both Ryzen Threadripper processors and a variety of motherboards will be on shelf in early August 2017.

With Ryzen Threadripper processors representing the ultimate in desktop performance, the Ryzen 3 CPU will get even more people into the Ryzen family – at an affordable price point. Both Ryzen 3 desktop processors are 4 core, 4 thread, “Zen” architecture-based CPUs. We have two consumer desktop models, the Ryzen™ 3 1300X CPU with base clock of 3.5 GHz and boost to 3.7 GHz, and the Ryzen™ 3 1200 CPU with a base clock of 3.1 GHz and boost to 3.4 GHz. And the wait is even shorter for Ryzen 3 – it will be on shelf starting July 27th, and of course AMD AM4 A320, B350, and X370 motherboard options from the top ODMs are already available for pairing with Ryzen™ 7, Ryzen™ 5, and – very soon – Ryzen 3.

After the Ryzen 3 launch July 27th, you will hear more about both Ryzen Threadripper CPUs and our “Vega” GPUs at SIGGRAPH before month’s end. And don’t forget Alienware Area 51 Threadripper Edition pre-orders begin July 27th, too!

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: AMD Threadripper Pricing Unveiled Jul 14, 2017, 18:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

I'm at least a couple years away from my next gaming desktop, but I'm glad AMD is at least starting to get their shit together. By the time I'm ready to build something new, AMD will hopefully have a competitive line of CPUs and Radeon GPUs to go.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: AMD Threadripper Pricing Unveiled Jul 14, 2017, 12:54 Muscular Beaver

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 10:59:
If that's your only reason not to buy Intel cpu's you really need to read up on this entire new platform for far better reasons not go intel this generation.

But basing it on TIM vs iridium solder is silly. Ryzen is simply a good CPU, but it's a total shit-show for overclocking due to the way it's built (glued together die collection, as Intel calls it ,p). They (AMD) probably didn't even have a CHOICE but to go for iridium solder in order to reach boost clocks and IPC they wanted. Even if you delid the Ryzen and apply the *BEST* possible cooling connection (liquid metal) the CPU is hugely temp limited, the difference to solder is like 2 to 3°C only. Internally Probably because the interconnect gets hotter than the chips but that's my speculation

Either way, it's never as simple as "They should just do it"
There are always engineering and business reasons behind it.
"Only" reason? Theres many problems connected to it. The heat also increases power consumption and the mainboards are overheating too.
Reason enough to not buy that, and I am saying that as someone who is normally delidding every CPU anyway. But a $1000 CPU with crappy TIM? Nope.
And its not like I am going to buy an AMD instead. I will just wait one more year and hope Intel gets their shit together.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

11. Re: AMD Threadripper Pricing Unveiled Jul 14, 2017, 11:52 Beamer

I'd still go Intel this generation, at most price points. Specifically, the ones I'd shop in.

While Ryzen is better at many things, I feel as if these chips will all be obsolete by the time there's much software that can actually use all these cores. The chips, and the motherboards.

The architecture is right, but by the time we have cool games that use 24 threads meaningfully these will be too slow to do much. In my opinion. But it's awesome that we'll get there faster with these out.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: AMD Threadripper Pricing Unveiled Jul 14, 2017, 10:59 eRe4s3r

If that's your only reason not to buy Intel cpu's you really need to read up on this entire new platform for far better reasons not go intel this generation.

But basing it on TIM vs iridium solder is silly. Ryzen is simply a good CPU, but it's a total shit-show for overclocking due to the way it's built (glued together die collection, as Intel calls it ,p). They (AMD) probably didn't even have a CHOICE but to go for iridium solder in order to reach boost clocks and IPC they wanted. Even if you delid the Ryzen and apply the *BEST* possible cooling connection (liquid metal) the CPU is hugely temp limited, the difference to solder is like 2 to 3°C only. Internally Probably because the interconnect gets hotter than the chips but that's my speculation

Either way, it's never as simple as "They should just do it"
There are always engineering and business reasons behind it.

9. Re: AMD Threadripper Pricing Unveiled Jul 14, 2017, 09:39 Muscular Beaver

Theo wrote on Jul 13, 2017, 16:27:
Creston wrote on Jul 13, 2017, 14:39:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 13, 2017, 13:03:
Intel is having a hissy fit.

This from a company that launched their Kaby Lake X series not with solder on the die, but with fucking thermal paste, so they could save... what, 40 cents per $1000 processor? Fuck Intel with a boiling hot glue gun.

They've been doing this for YEARS.
But not on the Enthusiast CPUs. They were always soldered. Doing it on them is new and cheap and stupid and pathetic and just unworthy. They deserve every bit of shitstorm coming at them.
I was going to buy a 8 core or 10 core SLX, but after I learned this and how hot they run, so that overclocking is virtually impossible without at least watercooling... nope.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

8. Re: AMD Threadripper Pricing Unveiled Jul 13, 2017, 16:27 Theo

Creston wrote on Jul 13, 2017, 14:39:

This from a company that launched their Kaby Lake X series not with solder on the die, but with fucking thermal paste, so they could save... what, 40 cents per $1000 processor? Fuck Intel with a boiling hot glue gun.

They've been doing this for YEARS.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

7. Re: AMD Threadripper Pricing Unveiled Jul 13, 2017, 14:41 RedEye9

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 13, 2017, 11:44:
Is thread-ripper using the same memory controller? (Dual channel, heavy DDR4 limitations with 4 modules etc.?
More questions than answers.anandtech

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

6. Re: AMD Threadripper Pricing Unveiled Jul 13, 2017, 14:39 Creston

5. Re: AMD Threadripper Pricing Unveiled Jul 13, 2017, 13:10 Wallshadows

The icing on the cake is that Intel seems to be in the process of fucking over their HT Pentium series which was the bastion of budget-focused gaming and a market AMD likely wouldn't be able to touch by reducing production in order to push more sales towards the i3.  

4. Re: AMD Threadripper Pricing Unveiled Jul 13, 2017, 13:07 Mordecai Walfish

Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 1™9™5™0™X™  

3. Re: AMD Threadripper Pricing Unveiled Jul 13, 2017, 13:03 RedEye9

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

2. Re: AMD Threadripper Pricing Unveiled Jul 13, 2017, 12:17 Cyant

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 13, 2017, 11:44:
Is thread-ripper using the same memory controller? (Dual channel, heavy DDR4 limitations with 4 modules etc.?

I don't know about limitations but this has quad channel.

1. Re: AMD Threadripper Pricing Unveiled Jul 13, 2017, 11:44 eRe4s3r

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo