Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Clearly I was a couple of sips shy of fully caffeinated when I wrote about yesterday's date being a palindrome in U.S. notation. I say this since I failed to note that the day before yesterday also had a palindromic date, as do today, tomorrow, and every day until July 19th. Thanks to mch and Frans for pointing this out... I'd like to award you "No Prizes" like they used to (still do?) in the letter's sections for Marvel comics, but those awards required coming up with an explanation of why a discrepancy was not actually an error. Sadly, neither of you went to the trouble to come up with any sort of alibi for me here.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Honor & Duty 2: Legendary Assassin.
Link: For parents with a twisted sense of humor: the shark stroller.
Science: F.D.A. Panel Recommends Approval for Gene-Altering Leukemia Treatment.
Behold Jupiter's Great Red Spot.
Media: Man Pranks His Friend By Wiring His Car Horn With The Brake Pedal (NSFW). Thanks RedEye9.
YIKES!
Double Swipe. It's a thing. Lex Ishimoto is awe inspiring.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: OOTB Jul 14, 2017, 16:18 Rigs

Thanks for the opines, guys, I'll let you know what happens in a few days...

Beamer wrote on Jul 13, 2017, 16:29:
Oh man. I built a very similar system back in 2010. I had the 750, and went NVIDIA but had the 480, which was a very comparable GPU. I had 12GB RAM, which I upgraded in maybe 2014. I built a new one last year because it finally died (it always had some kind of power issue I could never figure out.)

This was actually the second system I built. I originally built a Core2Duo system in early 2009 but then realized that it was immediately obsolete because of the release of the Core i-series. So, I sold my first system to my cousin who was looking for a game machine and quickly built my current one in February of 2010 with the funds. At first, it had 2gb of DDR3-1066 and an HD4870/512mb but then I replaced it with 4gb of DDR3-1333 and an HD5870/1gb. Three years on, I put in an HD7850/1gb and a little after that, 12gb and then 16gb of DDR3-1600.

The only problem I had with it, at first, was it's general instability in games. It would crash at random all the $^*(*^@$ time! For no apparent reason. But a BIOS update fixed that and it's now solid as a rock. The only way to get it tipsy now is to overclock the RAM to anything over 1600. Then it does some weird shit at random.

In fact, funny story...(for those that get their special snowflake panties in a bunch when I ramble on, it's hidden - you're welcome!) The first time I overclocked my new 16gb of DDR3-1600 to 17xx something or other, it did something totally stupid each and every time I rebooted! First it wouldn't finish loading Windows7. Then it would finish but BSOD at login. Then it would login but then go into SLEEP Mode (which I have disabled) and promptly go comatose. Then it loaded Windows7 perfectly fine...until Explorer.exe crashed every minute or so.

I have never seen a system habitually shit the bed in such interesting and varied ways before because of a slight overclock of the RAM! And every since, it would do some weird, almost totally random thing whenever it was overclocked...which is nice as a party trick, but not good for data integrity...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2017, 20:37.

'But what does 'optional' mean?! It's video games, playing them at all is 'optional'! Sticking a broom handle up your ass is 'optional', doesn't mean I wouldn't really like to do it!' -Yahtzee
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2017, 00:46 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 13, 2017, 23:16:
Someone in the gubment finally cured their rectal cranial inversion.

I was honestly shocked when I first read they wouldn't be let in. Glad that got fixed. Apparently they won't let the Somalia girl's team in either.

Stay a while, and listen.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2017, 19:25 The Half Elf

Go with the 1070 graphics card, and get it with 8 gigs of video ram.  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2017, 19:20 RedEye9

It will choose "Only the best people" bro

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

13. Re: OOTB Jul 13, 2017, 17:31 RedEye9

Rigs wrote on Jul 13, 2017, 16:01:
Ok, guys, another technical question (kinda)...first my system specs:

Gigabyte P55M-UD2
Core i5-750/2.6ghz (first gen)
16gb DDR3-1600
XFX Core HD7850/1gb

Aside from the fact that I have a seven year old system (that I'm painfully aware of), my current financials allow one upgrade atm and I've decided for it to be the video card. I had an idea to upgrade the CPU to an i7/XEON equivalent (that the motherboard can support, socket 1156) but the cost-to-performance ratio is way too small to justify it right now. I found a refurb'd XEON for $37 but the i7's are still way too high (almost criminally so for first gen parts!)...

So the video card it is. But which to get? I know there's a shortage of cards right now (thanks miners! jerks! never think about the rest of us!) and, thus, the cost is higher than it should be but in your opinion, in the $200-$350 range, what card would give the most benefit? And now that AMD/nVidia are flooding the market with new stock while miners' old cards are being thrown out there because the difficulty in mining Etherium now is too high for those with under 10-20 cards, shouldn't the price drop like a rock soon? I've read that getting a mining card for cheaper isn't that bad and it works fine?

So what say you? My thoughts are a new R570 or GT1070 with at least 4gb. I don't know if the performance on a R560/1060 would be worth it? Would love to get a R480 or 1080ti but I don't think I can get that lucky...I can dream, though, I guess... Sigh

=-Rigs-=
i use this chart which groups similar GPU's performance wise'ish. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
this is a comparison of the 1050ti with your 7850 http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7850-vs-GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti , i would aim higher. here is more comparison info http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU16/1489
Spend till it hurts on the gpu side.

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 2017, 17:43.

12. Re: OOTB Jul 13, 2017, 16:35 Hoop

I think a 1050ti would be affordable & balance nicely with the rest of your hardware.
They are fast.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487292
A 1080 would be a waste of money both in cost & your machines abilty to push it along.

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 2017, 17:15.

Um .. Behind you...

11. Re: OOTB Jul 13, 2017, 16:29 Beamer

Rigs wrote on Jul 13, 2017, 16:01:

Gigabyte P55M-UD2
16gb DDR3-1600
XFX Core HD7850/1gb

Aside from the fact that I have a seven year old system (that I'm painfully aware of), my current financials allow one upgrade atm and I've decided for it to be the video card. I had an idea to upgrade the CPU to an i7/XEON equivalent (that the motherboard can support, socket 1156) but the cost-to-performance ratio is way too small to justify it right now. I found a refurb'd XEON for $37 but the i7's are still way too high (almost criminally so for first gen parts!)...

So the video card it is. But which to get? I know there's a shortage of cards right now (thanks miners! jerks! never think about the rest of us!) and, thus, the cost is higher than it should be but in your opinion, in the $200-$350 range, what card would give the most benefit? And now that AMD/nVidia are flooding the market with new stock while miners' old cards are being thrown out there because the difficulty in mining Etherium now is too high for those with under 10-20 cards, shouldn't the price drop like a rock soon? I've read that getting a mining card for cheaper isn't that bad and it works fine?

So what say you? My thoughts are a new R570 or GT1070 with at least 4gb. I don't know if the performance on a R560/1060 would be worth it? Would love to get a R480 or 1080ti but I don't think I can get that lucky...I can dream, though, I guess... Sigh

=-Rigs-=

Oh man. I built a very similar system back in 2010. I had the 750, and went NVIDIA but had the 480, which was a very comparable GPU. I had 12GB RAM, which I upgraded in maybe 2014. I built a new one last year because it finally died (it always had some kind of power issue I could never figure out.)

I just remember playing Far Cry 4, then looking at videos online and scratching my head, trying to figure out if it was even the same game. What I was playing looked nothing like the videos from Let's Plays.

I can't really help you otherwise. I ultimately built a new PC with an i5-4590 that I picked up for ~$120 from Microcenter, a beast of a 970 (sadly right before the 10X0s came out, but couldn't wait), and a bunch of solid components. I went with the older CPU because I could reuse my RAM, but turns out that was all I reused, as I kept having to buy new parts that I'd originally planned to keep. All-in was about a grand.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: OOTB Jul 13, 2017, 16:01 Rigs

Gigabyte P55M-UD2
16gb DDR3-1600
XFX Core HD7850/1gb

=-Rigs-=

'But what does 'optional' mean?! It's video games, playing them at all is 'optional'! Sticking a broom handle up your ass is 'optional', doesn't mean I wouldn't really like to do it!' -Yahtzee

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2017, 13:45 mch

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 13, 2017, 12:36:
07/13/17 != 17/13/07

7/13/17

edit: nevermind, thought including the zero was throwing you off.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2017, 13:28 DarkV

I always wanted to win a "No Prize" from marvel comics.It's on par with getting a hickey from Kenickie.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2017, 13:05 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 13, 2017, 12:36:
07/13/17 != 17/13/07
Dec 7th

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2017, 12:36 Burrito of Peace

07/13/17 != 17/13/07  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2017, 11:51 Cutter

Blue wrote on Jul 13, 2017, 11:13:
Capella wrote on Jul 13, 2017, 11:07:
I told you in my email that it was for the whole week!

Haha, see? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it think.

Thanks for trying.

You know why you can't teach a horse philosophy? Because you can't put Descartes before the horse. Cowboy

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2017, 11:25 Linthat22

The car horn prank has me ROLLING!!!  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2017, 11:13  Blue 

Capella wrote on Jul 13, 2017, 11:07:

Haha, see? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it think.

Thanks for trying.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2017, 11:07 Capella

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2017, 10:06 Bill Borre

those awards required coming up with an explanation of why a discrepancy was not actually an error

That's actually the revised rule they came up with later. When Stan first started mailing them out in the 60s it was to eagle-eyed readers who spotted continuity gaffs.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo