Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2017, 18:03 NewMaxx

Yes, most pro gamers run 144 non-sync screens with Fast Sync (you need 2-3x your target FPS for that) as that still has the best overall results. Adaptive sync is mostly for the lower ranges, 85-120 particularly. 30-60 I find G-Sync to be superior to FreeSync but undesirable regardless. In any case, it's always better than tearing or V-Sync. Like I said, though, even adaptive sync has tearing when you hit upper frametime variances (120+ at 144 Hz) but you can avoid that with some tweaking. If you can consistently surpass a certain FPS it's best just to run a cap (ULMB on a G-Sync display is good here as well), yeah, you only gain 1 frame latency which you also will with adaptive sync if you hit the cap. Adaptive sync also gives better response to frametime variance in general but again, if your FPS is always/mostly above a set threshold and you RTSS cap it, it's very similar.  
Borecraft Games on YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2017, 17:08 HorrorScope

Yeah im not saying I'm against free/g, I have some money but I'm also pretty frugal. What is the main reason why 60hz non-sync sucks? Screen tearing. With just 144hz screens, that alone makes it at least for me disappear. To me the free/g stuff makes a lot more sense on a 60hz panel as these faster panels take care of it now by shear refresh speed. I typically run unsyncd. A 144 unsyncd has a little less latency than even adaptive free/g if you were to measure it, very secondary concern though. I only vsync my 144 ONLY if the game runs noticeably hot and lock it at 72 frames. Non-gaming it's great to.  

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2017, 11:45 NewMaxx

Ah, so I'm guessing you don't have an adaptive sync (G-Sync or FreeSync) display. You can of course still run Fast Sync in some games if your hardware is up to the task (and NVIDIA-based). Most pro gamers playing Overwatch/CSGO/MOBA will go with a plain 144 Hz since they run Fast Sync or similar. With G-Sync you want V-Sync always enabled in CP (never in games) because it "fixes" upper frametime variances (roughly 120+ at 144 Hz) without any latency hit. Blur Busters is a good source for general information for those looking to buy such a display.

Mind you, simply having a 144 Hz display reduces your latency significantly over 60 Hz, but with V-Sync to prevent tearing you usually run triple buffering which adds several frames of input latency. So if you think 144 Hz with V-Sync is smooth, wait until you try G-Sync/FreeSync. Although again you can have issues at the FPS cap but...yeah. I just think a lot of people are confused about how all the technologies work and you often hear people saying 144 Hz isn't much better when 9 times out of 10 they have it set wrong and it can make a HUGE difference.

I'm glad the price is coming down on VR but I'm still in a wait phase on it. My friend did have a Vive we played around with for a project (VR real estate, long story, Vuze was also involved) but yeah it's not there yet for me.

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2017, 11:38 HorrorScope

Yes 60 fps is now the new low.

Yeah I do my damage on a 144hz 27" 1080P monitor as well. 144hz is a run don't walk feature, once you have it, you know. You notice games and non-games the screen is simply smoother. I run non-vsync almost exclusively, the exception are some games may run too hot allowing it to run as fast as it can and limiting those to 72 frames (half 144), it keeps the system cool and 72 is good to. Fairly exceptional though.

Oh an amazingly, out of the blue and perfectly aligned. I was awarded a $400 deposit refund yesterday that I wasn't expecting, so I'll most likely order a Rift by EOW. To me there is plenty of content already and more and better on the way. That said, I'm still questioning overall market strategy with the two products we have, we need cheaper prices and V2's, even if V2 isn't some major leap, just improvements sends good vibes out to the people. This is not how you do consumer electronics.

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2017, 08:12 NewMaxx

Picked up a 1080p 144 Hz (180 w/OC) monitor not too long ago - I think there was a thread on here previously about the new upcoming 27" 240 Hz model and I imparted my wisdom in sticking with 1080p - and I do have to say that, as someone who has lived at 60 FPS (solid) for so many years there is simply no turning back. For the record, I tested 60 vs 144 on this monitor, 144 vs 160/170/180, V-Sync (G-Sync off) vs. G-Sync, and many combinations thereof. Without a doubt, adaptive sync (not to be confused with adaptive vsync) is incredible and gaming in the 85-120 FPS range is unparalleled. I can't ever go back. I do think a 1080 Ti is minimum if you want that at 1440p but quite frankly I think 1080p will suit me for 3-5 years before I revisit the question (and I have a GTX 1080 which I will update at least once in that time frame). Actually, the 24" size worked out well for me as it gives faster eye control, but I digress.

For those wondering I even compared Rainbow Six Siege side-by-side on my 24" IPS (60 Hz) and the difference was ridiculous. No comparison. It's not just the 60 Hz but V-Sync that is just unplayable now that I have that game running at a 141 FPS G-Sync cap (using settings to keep it in the ~120 range to avoid cap latency). Also, 1ms response vs 5ms especially when paired with my G900 (1000 Hz polling rate) mouse makes the gap larger. Now, many people point to RB6's 50-60 tick-rate (soon to be full 60) and say that higher FPS doesn't help there...nothing could be further from the truth as not everything is synced anyway.

The tl;dr of it is, going from a 125 Hz polling mouse (-7ms input lag), from IPS to TN (-4ms), adaptive sync from V-Sync (-20 to 30ms), and 60 Hz to 120 Hz (where I peg most games, -8.33ms) makes a massive difference. Of course, games are just plain smoother, too! Yet it's one of those things that you won't notice until you try going back. After playing a weekend of RB6 at 120+ I went back to my old IPS and the latency was simply atrocious. Really, it felt like 30 FPS used to feel going from 60 (ah, LA Noire launch memories). Now, there's a lot of nuance to adaptive sync I won't get into here, but I suggest reading the Blur Buster's G-Sync guide.

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2017, 05:02 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 21:02:
Uh how about until some actual real - good - games show up for VR? So far all I've seen are glorified tech demos they actually have the gall to charge money for.

Game development aimed at completely new technology takes 2 to 5 years if the hardware makers were dumb and didn't ship working quality hardware to devs before that. And we all know how shit DK1 was... ;p It was what turned many developers from vr development. So the starting point for new games is maybe barely now, in 2 to 5 years you will see VR experiences that push this genre forward, until then, enjoy indies making it a barf simulation (that EVE game in particular commits horrible VR sins)

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2017, 04:56 VaranDragon

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 10:30:
Awesome price for the Rift.
If only there was a place locally where I could try it out.

Even with all the shit going down politically and socially, as far as prices are concerned for new consumer tech: You can't really beat the good ol' U.S. of A.

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2017, 02:47 Rigs

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 13:07:
I love roller coasters/amusement park rides.

I think VR is pretty cool but having tried it a few times; I can say that I'll probably never get one. It's so disorientating to me since my body isn't moving but there's simulation of moving in the game.

I played Eve Valkyrie and couldn't walk afterwards I was so dizzy.. It's not something I can see myself doing. Doing rolls and looking over your shoulder to see the guy and shoot at him... ugh vomit.

Well, your name is Tipsy McStagger...

I'd love to try the VIVE at some point. Being in nowhere north FL doesn't lend to too many opportunities for something like this, unless someone you know has one or you buy one yourself. I tried out the Samsung Gear with an S7 in Best Buy a few months ago and that was pretty awesome, though it just amounted to a larger 'virtual' screen that you had to pan your head around to see everything. Cool in concept but I could see it getting old after a while. Too bad there's not like a demo trial period or something with these. I mean, I suppose you could get a refund but that's a hassle. *sigh* Just gonna have to wait, I guess...

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2017, 21:02 Cutter

Uh how about until some actual real - good - games show up for VR? So far all I've seen are glorified tech demos they actually have the gall to charge money for.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2017, 20:20 Saboth

Think I'm going to wait until generation two, and even then still go with Vive or another competitor. If it had been $399 from the start, I'd have picked up one immediately, but how they tried to go the route of proprietary software, DRM, screwing over preorder customers - it all left a bad taste in my mouth for this company.  

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2017, 18:19 Burrito of Peace

I am going to sit VR out until the following happens:

1. It's comfortable to wear if you have a wide face and therefore wide glasses.
2. The price becomes more reasonable/Product becomes mainstream to the point it's a commodity item.
3. There's a standard that all devices adhere to so that there are just VR games, not VR games for the Rift and VR games for the Vive and so on.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2017, 18:06 Wetworks

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 17:02:
This is the price the rift should have launched at. I wonder if they are prepping a rift 2 for release later in the year and closing out some stock with this pricing

According to Oculus they won't have a revision until 2019,

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-cv1-superseded-new-version-least-two-years-rift-2-cv2/

This seems more like Oculus trying to gain marketshare on Vive + other competing headsets are entering the market.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2017, 17:49 HorrorScope

Yeah, that now has me thinking probably.

As for why people favor the Vive, to me it mostly goes back to when Oculus was trying to lock things down and Vive was presenting itself to be more open market. Opinions sway heavily in that arena. From those I trust, I know the Oculus is a lot more viable of a product than the general consensus is about it and in many VS's review it edges out the Vive.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2017, 17:42 Vall Forran

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 10:30:
Awesome price for the Rift.
If only there was a place locally where I could try it out.

Stores that sell gaming machines often have a rift/vive demo station set up, though it's like (back in the day) trying to play street fighter at a convenience store.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2017, 17:02 Mordecai Walfish

This is the price the rift should have launched at. I wonder if they are prepping a rift 2 for release later in the year and closing out some stock with this pricing  

Currently playing: RCRU , GTA:V , Owlboy , Everspace , Dead Cells , Redout, Dirt 4

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2017, 16:54 Wetworks

Ordered the bundle last night, couldn't resist at that price. My 970 will have to do until I can upgrade my graphics card.  

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2017, 15:50 Vall Forran

I love my rift. I played a little bit on the vive at work, but I don't really understand why everyone wants that one instead. There's no headphones (or mic?), the hand controllers are huge and unwieldy.

There is a focus adjustment on the bottom of the rift...I'm not sure exactly what you mean by glasses focus.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2017, 14:25 Mordecai Walfish

Timmeh wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 13:15:
LIVVANALAUGTIMMEH!

Currently playing: RCRU , GTA:V , Owlboy , Everspace , Dead Cells , Redout, Dirt 4

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2017, 13:15 Timmeh

i wonder if they will find out this stuff causes permanent brain damage at some point.  

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2017, 13:07 Tipsy McStagger

I love roller coasters/amusement park rides.

I think VR is pretty cool but having tried it a few times; I can say that I'll probably never get one. It's so disorientating to me since my body isn't moving but there's simulation of moving in the game.

I played Eve Valkyrie and couldn't walk afterwards I was so dizzy.. It's not something I can see myself doing. Doing rolls and looking over your shoulder to see the guy and shoot at him... ugh vomit.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo