Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Went on a shearing binge yesterday. I set the lawnmower a notch lower than usual and got a much neater lawn for my efforts. Then I shaved down the Gunnar-man with a nice summer cut to help out Poodle pal beat the heat. Then I gave myself the full grooming treatment, including a razor shave on my head. If it sounds like I was getting caught up in things, that's probably right, because I pulled out the hair clipper to tame my wild old man eyebrows, and used the wrong guide, and practically shaved off an eyebrow. I managed to avoid going full Police Academy on myself, and am lucky that the frames of my glasses cover that area well, so I don't think anyone will notice, but it was a close call. I guess the good news is that the bushiness that inspired trimming my brow in the first place means they should grow back okay. And no, you can't have a picture.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: BrickZ.
Stories: A bot on Amazon is making the best, worst smartphones cases. Thanks Devicer.
‘Flintstone House’ in San Francisco Bay Area sells for $2.8 million.
Science: Hypersonic aircraft are more realistic thanks to a ceramic coating.
Media: Nick Offerman Goes Undercover On The Internet.
Complex Dog Trick - Mechanical Motion.
Sunken GoPro found a year later with good story.
Follow-up: Daniel Craig reportedly signs on for Bond 25.
Westworld Season 2 Starts Production Soon, Star Reveals First Image.
The Funnies: Stream Clean.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2017, 12:12 Mr. Tact

I considered making a large payment on my mortgage, but in the end decided 3.875% money is pretty cheap. I'd rather keep my money in the S&P 500 fund. That was a good decision. Besides, between my mortgage interest and my property taxes, I'm already in the better to itemize category...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2017, 07:40 Retired

Hoop wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 15:43:
Thanks but truthfully forgot I had a mortgage until I could see the end in sight. Then just went all out for 18 months throwing everything I could muster at it.

Congrats, I am sure it feels great!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 22:19 jdreyer

Nice story, Blue. But without pictures...

Fake news!

Stay a while, and listen.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 15:43 Hoop

Thanks but truthfully forgot I had a mortgage until I could see the end in sight. Then just went all out for 18 months throwing everything I could muster at it.  

Um .. Behind you...

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 15:27 BobBob

Hoop wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 14:32:
Paid the house off last year

You are a role model for all of us. I mean that sincerely.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 15:18 RedEye9

Next person who submits videos like the gopro one will be responsible for buying my kleenex.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 14:32 Mr. Tact

Yes, however he wasn't the only one claiming eye brow trimming...  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 14:32 Hoop

Paid the house off last year so decided to upgrade the comp for the first time in 10 years.
Built the last one to coincide with the release of Vista 64.
Have'nt been gaming much the last 5 years except a bit of fps retro gaming due to not having the machine to run the lastest titles.

Bought this setup & paid the same as my pentium 1 machine complete with a whopping 500k of ram in 96.

Processor
Intel Kaby Lake Core i5-7600K Unlocked Quad Core 3.8GHz
6MB Cache
Motherboard
Z270 Asrock extreme 4
Memory
16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz
Storage
256GB m.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD
2TB 3.5" 7200rpm SATA HDD
Case
Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass Mid Tower Case - Black/White
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX1070 8GB
Watercooling
Cooler Master Nepton 120XL Watercooling kit

LG 27 gaming monitor
Picked up Doom & battlefield 1 on sale for under $80.00 nz

Old machine was so well balanced & bulletproof served me well.
Might turn her into a media box.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2017, 14:45.

Um .. Behind you...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 14:29 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 13:46:
Start seeing a better barber? I haven't ever trimmed my eye brows, not my job.
it's my take that blue grooms himself, just change the frequency kenneth.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 14:13 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 10:28:
While purchasing property and dealing with Realtors, bankers, remodelers, etc. I've noticed something I am not happy with. Either I'm getting older and less patient or there is a growing narcissistic trend of people talking continuously without pause and not allowing the other person to respond.

That's a symptom of living in the narcissism capital of the world: Los Angeles.

Stay a while, and listen.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 13:46 Mr. Tact

Start seeing a better barber? I haven't ever trimmed my eye brows, not my job.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 13:44 Cutter

Yah my fence post guy is supposed to come tomorrow but with this weather all over the map it may not happen for another week, sigh. And my buddy that was supposed to help me out bailed, thanks a lot. I was really hoping to have this done by the end of the week but that's not going to happen. Whatevs it'll still look hella nice when I'm done. I'll remember to do before and after pics this time as I always forget to do those.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 13:17 Retired

I use a "2" on the eyebrows.

Well, spent a ton of time clearing out this place this weekend. Patching, taping, and mud this week. Picked up an 8 foot cabinet for a void I had in the bathroom and also a granite vanity top for a dual under mount. Hopefully go up for sale within a week while we clean and tinker with smaller items.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 13:04 DarkV

Pic of Blue posting today's update from the tower  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 11:59 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 11:56:
MajorD wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 11:48:
While purchasing property and dealing with Realtors, bankers, remodelers, etc. I've noticed something I am not happy with. Either I'm getting older and less patient or there is a growing narcissistic trend of people talking continuously without pause and not allowing the other person respond.

It's both, but the latter more so, and you can thank social anti-social media (Facebook, Google+, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn, Myspace, Pinterest, and Tumblr, etc.) for that, as it has generated an absurd level of narcissism and a self-obsessed society. Quite sad really....

What the hell are you guys talking about? It's always been that way. Most people never listen, they just wait for their turn to talk. That's as old as man itself. Listening skills are something that need to be cultivated like anything else. Employers ask for them for a reason, that's not just some HR bullshit.

What did I just say?

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 11:56 Cutter

MajorD wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 11:48:
While purchasing property and dealing with Realtors, bankers, remodelers, etc. I've noticed something I am not happy with. Either I'm getting older and less patient or there is a growing narcissistic trend of people talking continuously without pause and not allowing the other person respond.

It's both, but the latter more so, and you can thank social anti-social media (Facebook, Google+, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn, Myspace, Pinterest, and Tumblr, etc.) for that, as it has generated an absurd level of narcissism and a self-obsessed society. Quite sad really....

What the hell are you guys talking about? It's always been that way. Most people never listen, they just wait for their turn to talk. That's as old as man itself. Listening skills are something that need to be cultivated like anything else. Employers ask for them for a reason, that's not just some HR bullshit.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 11:48 MajorD

Still counting...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 11:45 Cutter

Heh, I loved that bit in Police Academy where the two clowns get their head shaved than the other guy sits down and asks for a trim to which they ask, 'You can do that?' and the Barber replies, 'Yeah, this ain't the military.'

Or the haircut scene in Stripes.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 11:22 The Half Elf

PICS! PICS!

Hell Blue I don't think we've seen a pic of you except for the ones out of the old Doom/Quake pre-2000 vault.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 11:16 DarkV

Somebody gift a Flowbee to Blue.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo