Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Saturday Tech Bits

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 9, 2017, 16:48 jdreyer

wtf_man wrote on Jul 9, 2017, 16:10:
$1200.00 first year

Annual Subscriptions - Visual Studio Professional

Look at Standard Subscriptions Tab.

Have a friend or two go in with you... cuts down the cost... keys still work after you cancel the subscription.

In the chart, look under "Subscriber Benefits" and you will see that "Windows, Windows Server, Windows Embedded, Microsoft SQL Server" is checked for the $1200.00 version. It's a dirty way to get your hands on Enterprise LTSB OS's without technically pirating... but like you said... it's the version that everyone would want and they don't make it easily available.

EDIT: Ah crap... they lock you into subscribing for at lease 3 years:

Look at Cloud vs. Standard Subcription terms:
Committed subscription term - Typically 36 months for most

Which would be an additional $1600 for 2 years.

However...

After the subscription expires, can use the software that was available during the active subscription term (“perpetual” use rights) - Yes in most cases

Bottom line, So yeah... you were right... spendy... $2800 total.
Need to split that cost with 10 friends!

Thanks for looking that up. I was pulling that number from my (bad) memory.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 9, 2017, 16:10 wtf_man

$1200.00 first year

Annual Subscriptions - Visual Studio Professional

Look at Standard Subscriptions Tab.

Have a friend or two go in with you... cuts down the cost... keys still work after you cancel the subscription.

In the chart, look under "Subscriber Benefits" and you will see that "Windows, Windows Server, Windows Embedded, Microsoft SQL Server" is checked for the $1200.00 version. It's a dirty way to get your hands on Enterprise LTSB OS's without technically pirating... but like you said... it's the version that everyone would want and they don't make it easily available.

EDIT: Ah crap... they lock you into subscribing for at lease 3 years:

Look at Cloud vs. Standard Subcription terms:
Committed subscription term - Typically 36 months for most

Which would be an additional $1600 for 2 years.

However...

After the subscription expires, can use the software that was available during the active subscription term (“perpetual” use rights) - Yes in most cases

Bottom line, So yeah... you were right... spendy... $2800 total.
Need to split that cost with 10 friends!

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2017, 16:43.

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

11. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 9, 2017, 13:56 jdreyer

wtf_man wrote on Jul 9, 2017, 11:02:
For home, you could get a MSDN subscription. (Now called Visual Studio Pro Subscription)

Going partners with some folks, and not renewing the subscription is pretty much how folks get around the expense... but you didn't hear that from me.

Also, one needs to realize that we had to pay an extra $180 per machine to upgrade to Enterprise LTSB. Machines from Dell and others only come with a Pro license.

LTSB has new "annual builds"... so that's how you get your 10 years from when you purchase. There already was a 2015 and 2016 build... the 2017 LTSB build will come out in the fall and would get security updates until 2027.
MSDN subscriptions are $4K. That's an awful lot to pay for a better version of Windows 10.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 9, 2017, 11:02 wtf_man

For home, you could get a MSDN subscription. (Now called Visual Studio Pro Subscription)

Going partners with some folks, and not renewing the subscription is pretty much how folks get around the expense... but you didn't hear that from me.

Also, one needs to realize that we had to pay an extra $180 per machine to upgrade to Enterprise LTSB. Machines from Dell and others only come with a Pro license.

LTSB has new "annual builds"... so that's how you get your 10 years from when you purchase. There already was a 2015 and 2016 build... the 2017 LTSB build will come out in the fall and would get security updates until 2027.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2017, 11:59.

9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 9, 2017, 10:52 RedEye9

It's the version that everyone wants but is only available with corporate licensing, got it.
Thanks wtf_man and eRe4s3r.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 9, 2017, 10:31 wtf_man

LTSB does not do feature updates. It is supported with incident calls for 5 years (which we never use), and security updates for 10 years. (So for us, until 2026)

So, Cortana, Edge, etc. are off by default / and some not installable (Edge), because those are considered to require feature updates.

LTSB is Windows 10 without most of the bullshit. It's intention is for Enterprises not have jolting changes that may break applications (especially legacy applications)... of which we have one that is very sensitive to change and took us months to get working properly in Windows 10. So, imagine potentially having to go through months of work every 6 months. Not a good thing.

That said... one still has to lock it down with group policies and other tweaks during image creation in order to reasonably stop it from phoning home all the time.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2017, 10:47.

7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 9, 2017, 10:14 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 9, 2017, 09:09:
Since Windows 10 is on a twice yearly 'update' period with 18 months of support, how do you handle that with the Enterprise version. Considering that prior versions of Window lasted decades, I would think this would be a hastle for IT departments.

LTSB has to be manually updated, which also means it stays on whatever OS revision you leave it on. Not a good idea for big updates, but not a big problem for a "fluff" update like the last one

6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 9, 2017, 09:09 RedEye9

wtf_man wrote on Jul 8, 2017, 23:12:
We run Enterprise 2016 LTSB on our endpoints at work, with group policy turning off all the phone home / telemetry that it possibly can (and some other tweaks).

Still not 100% fullproof, and I wouldn't even run that at home.

They are rumored to come out with a "Workstation OS" based on Server 2016. I might consider that... but it might just be better to run Server 2016 Standard. I'll have to load some games up on it and see how it does.
Since Windows 10 is on a twice yearly 'update' period with 18 months of support, how do you handle that with the Enterprise version. Considering that prior versions of Window lasted decades, I would think this would be a hastle for IT departments.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 8, 2017, 23:12 wtf_man

We run Enterprise 2016 LTSB on our endpoints at work, with group policy turning off all the phone home / telemetry that it possibly can (and some other tweaks).

Still not 100% fullproof, and I wouldn't even run that at home.

They are rumored to come out with a "Workstation OS" based on Server 2016. I might consider that... but it might just be better to run Server 2016 Standard. I'll have to load some games up on it and see how it does.

4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 8, 2017, 18:38 Bumpy

My 4k Win10 experience is what I'd call decent but not perfect. Some apps just don't like scaling and I hope this upcoming update fixes window areas being randomly resized and way off the screen.  

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 8, 2017, 18:22 HorrorScope

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 8, 2017, 11:52:
All your spies are belong to us.

By the time I have to install 10 on my box it might be a half decent os. To everyone who has beta tested it over the last couple of years, my hats off to you.

I get the spy worries to a point, but if you think it's been some kind of struggle running the O/S, yeah sure, ok, whatevah.

2. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jul 8, 2017, 13:08 Wowbagger_TIP

Haven't actually had any problems with it. Just been continually deferring the Creators Edition update. It didn't seem to add anything I was really interested in.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 8, 2017, 11:52 RedEye9

All your spies are belong to us.

By the time I have to install 10 on my box it might be a half decent os. To everyone who has beta tested it over the last couple of years, my hats off to you.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo