Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WARFRAME Boasts 30M Users; Adding Content and Graphics Update

Digital Extremes announces a new Chains of Harrow update comes today to Warframe, adding a new frame to the action game. The new character is named Harrow, and this video offers a harrowing profile. This also kicks off a graphical overhaul of the solar system with new "Earth Remastered" update for the big blue marble. They also reveal the game has attracted 30 million users over its run. Here's word:

Materializing from the smoky darkness, Digital Extremes’ newest Warframe® update “Chains of Harrow” arrives on PC today introducing “Harrow,” a menacing new Warframe who wields priest-style powers and offers a terrifying new, lore-based quest.

With today’s update, the ever-evolving free-to-play action hit, sporting 30 million registered users and counting, also reveals the start of a planned graphical overhaul of the Solar System beginning with Earth. Dubbed “Earth Remastered,” the newly enhanced Earth - powered by Digital Extremes’ proprietary Evolution Engine - turns the formerly good-looking planet into a stunningly lush, beautifully lit, organically structured environment. According to PC Gamer: “The difference is stunning, with some scenes almost looking like an entirely different game.”

Harrow’s profile video on YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2HXpeUh2QY&t=4s

With Chains of Harrow, Warframe players (AKA Tenno) will descend into a haunting new quest resembling a horror film. In response to a disturbing transmission from Palladino, the Red Veil Clan’s spiritual medium, Tenno are compelled to investigate a dark, mysteriously abandoned Steel Meridian spacecraft found adrift. Inside the vessel, lights flicker and emergency lights strobe, revealing bodies of dead crew members. All is quiet except for whispers heard echoing throughout the lifeless craft. What does it all mean? Players must uncover the terrifying reality of what happened onboard, how the Red Veil might play a part in it, and more.

Chains of Harrow is loaded with additional content - from new enemies and weapons to new cosmetics, Captura tiles, an Octavia Instrument Pack, and more:

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: WARFRAME Boasts 30M Users; Adding Content and Graphics Update Jun 28, 2017, 20:40 Gipson

Angrius Maximis wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 11:10
Poor man's Destiny...with shitty gunplay mechanics and lame graphics.

bad story, gameplay and boring missions with a piss poor community that just rushes through bland dungeons.

funny how Destiny came out AFTER Warframe. i'd like to see you offer a better F2P title with this much content AND looks good. also, the community is very helpful if you ask for help.

sounds like another COD fan boy who can't grasp the inner layers of WF. bye and good riddance.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: WARFRAME Boasts 30M Users; Adding Content and Graphics Update Jun 28, 2017, 20:20 Caladell

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 10:22:
This game is fucking confusing. I can't seem to really get into it. It's a weird kind of game that I've never played before. I've had this game on my PC for a couple of years at least, and I go back to it every so often, but it still never really makes sense to me, and I'm not even sure if I like it or not... I can't describe it. :/

Perfect way to describe it. I'm in the same boat. I've installed the game a number of times, but I just can't get into it.

12. Re: WARFRAME Boasts 30M Users; Adding Content and Graphics Update Jun 28, 2017, 18:01 Rhett

Yeah, it's not for everyone. It takes a lot of time to get into. Think EVE, but the difficulty spike isn't nearly as extreme. It's just there's still spreadsheets worth of information to read lol. Have to check the wiki repeatedly every time I play, even.

11. Re: WARFRAME Boasts 30M Users; Adding Content and Graphics Update Jun 28, 2017, 16:21 maddog

Thank God. Thought I was the only one who felt this way. I will play this when I am done screwing around in Just Cause 3 but for all intents and purposes, I am pretty much done with it.

This game is fucking confusing. I can't seem to really get into it. It's a weird kind of game that I've never played before. I've had this game on my PC for a couple of years at least, and I go back to it every so often, but it still never really makes sense to me, and I'm not even sure if I like it or not... I can't describe it. :/

10. Re: WARFRAME Boasts 30M Users; Adding Content and Graphics Update Jun 28, 2017, 16:20 Wallshadows

Rhett wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 15:16:
This is the kind of game you get into if you like Diablo-esque grinding, farming, leveling, and unlocking or acquiring that awesome-sounding new piece of gear. If you don't get excited building up to some awesome-sounding shotgun-cannon or acid-spewing weapon, then you may not like it.

When I finally got the parts needed to make the Boar Prime it was such a moment of relief as well as satisfaction. It's easily my default weapon of choice even in maps with ranged elements.

9. Re: WARFRAME Boasts 30M Users; Adding Content and Graphics Update Jun 28, 2017, 15:16 Rhett

It's definitely not easy to get into unless you have a friend with you to either help figure things out, or to hold your hand. I've been there. Probably close to 2k hours in the game. Recently came back because another friend wanted to get into the PC version after sinking a similar amount of hours into the PS4 version.

Still very fair F2P game. Soooo many guns and frames (characters) to use. But yeah, there are a LOT of confusing mechanics. And it only gets worse the higher level you get, haha.

But it's also by far the only F2P I've ever put any money into (even if it's only ~$20 total), and I can buy whatever I want just from trading. Not too hard to get into that either, there's always something new that people want to buy but not farm.

A lot of the stuff that used to be a pain in the ass to farm/grind (like Kubrow eggs - basically space dog pets that you can use in combat) are much more common, as well as most materials for crafting.

This is the kind of game you get into if you like Diablo-esque grinding, farming, leveling, and unlocking or acquiring that awesome-sounding new piece of gear. If you don't get excited building up to some awesome-sounding shotgun-cannon or acid-spewing weapon, then you may not like it.

8. Re: WARFRAME Boasts 30M Users; Adding Content and Graphics Update Jun 28, 2017, 14:23 NewMaxx

Angrius Maximis wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 11:10:

bad story, gameplay and boring missions with a piss poor community that just rushes through bland dungeons.

Not to refute you but here's my take on it...

The graphics have a unique style, which is pretty cool, but the engine also has generally excellent performance. It can run on even a shitty (integrated GPU) machine. That has its advantages. The game-play is far better than it was when the game first came out...it feels a lot more substantial now, although it does boil down to a few essential strategies.

Can't speak much for the gun-play as I mostly run bow (Paris) with melee. I absolutely love how the bow handles and the melee combos are cool. Some of the guns feel "airy" but the hit detection is good and I especially love the movement aspects of the game. Being able to master those finer details is actually part of the game. Yes, you can min/max things to death, but if you want to play tight like a ninja you can with practice.

The story does often suck at parts but it's actually pretty wicked if you pay attention, especially to the Orokin. I won't get too deep into it but it has a very "dark" history to it. Some of the missions are very boring but others are good, it depends; I personally like some of the spy mission challenges and many of the missions are fun in co-op.

I never played Destiny so I can't speak to that (although I've heard its story is non-existent and it had plenty of loot and balance issues in its day) but I disagree that the community is piss-poor. On the contrary, a large part of my learning has been with their help. Now if you mean the people in the game, there are quite a few impatient types but that goes for any game. In the 20 or so hours I've put in since I most recently came back I haven't had one bad word slung my way and plenty of help...so there's that.

7. Re: WARFRAME Boasts 30M Users; Adding Content and Graphics Update Jun 28, 2017, 14:05 NewMaxx

Haha, that's actually a pretty good way to describe it!

I come back to the game probably once every year and find that it's like swimming in molasses trying to figure out what the hell to do (or what the hell is going on). Actually reminds me a bit of Plantetside 2 in its most recent iterations in that way - the developers keep changing shit on a consistent basis so that more casual players come back and have no f'n clue what to do. It's a bit like going from Debian to Fedora with game design. I don't understand why so many F2P games feel the need to constantly roll out updates that make it impossible for players with lives (and other games to play) to keep up.

Anyway, I quickly get frustrated learning what I have to do to get certain shit done but I at least generally have fun doing it. Of course, if you do random public matches you can get anything from guys who can destroy the entire map in one press to people who can't tie their shoelaces and chew gum at the same time. It can be nice to take things slow but sooner or later you'll hit a brick wall especially since you're swapping out weapons and even frames on a regular basis and that's when the grind really hits. I find it hard to justify when my installed backlog now exceeds 60 titles.

Anyway, the packs are 50% off during the summer sale and it's worth getting one to jump into the game to give yourself a headstart. All I can say is use the wiki to your advantage and be prepared to scratch your head a lot. Personally, I love the acrobatics and some of the weapons and I go for my own playstyle. Set a few reasonable goals (mine was to get a specific warframe and specific weapons) and follow the story/quests while opening planets. Learn about alerts, void runs, factions, etc. Build stuff, kill stuff, get more loot!

6. Re: WARFRAME Boasts 30M Users; Adding Content and Graphics Update Jun 28, 2017, 13:32 Wallshadows

He's right about the rushing part though. If you're not in to a well-defined and active clan willing to take on new players or play public with little to no knowledge of the map or mode then prepare to be left in the dust which can be a somewhat jarring experience in several modes for those who want to give the game a try. Even I had trouble keeping up when I gave it another try and I have something like 600 hours in the game.

It got to the point where players would literally equip certain melee weapons for the sole purpose that it allowed them to slide a little faster.

This is why I preferred Survival and Mobile Defense.

My biggest problem with the game has been one garbage frame design after another while failing to balance older frames.

5. Re: WARFRAME Boasts 30M Users; Adding Content and Graphics Update Jun 28, 2017, 12:07 Cutter

Yeah, I'm gonna' call bullshit on that.

"Rmabo. John J.? Well what do you know? Ol' Harry here's a soldier."

4. Re: WARFRAME Boasts 30M Users; Adding Content and Graphics Update Jun 28, 2017, 11:10 Angrius Maximis

3. Re: WARFRAME Boasts 30M Users; Adding Content and Graphics Update Jun 28, 2017, 10:42 thecakeisalie

This game is like what Destiny could have been. It also has a really fair free-to-play model compared to most freemium games out there. I rarely run across anyone who has anything really negative to say about Warframe and that speaks volumes.  

2. Re: WARFRAME Boasts 30M Users; Adding Content and Graphics Update Jun 28, 2017, 10:31 Linksil

I put way too many hours into this game and got a lot of the content. I took a 6 month break and came back to a totally new game and went from 95% completion to 55%. The base game was still the same, but they do as much tweaking/rehauls of the systems in game it's like a wow exp every 6 months. IE gotta relearn quiet a bit.

That aside I still get tempted to play it again... just another 100 hours... just another... arg.

Munching On: FF14 storyline, SAO PS4, Horizon.

1. Re: WARFRAME Boasts 30M Users; Adding Content and Graphics Update Jun 28, 2017, 10:22 ForgedReality

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo