Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We went out last night and rocked out, old people style. Our local music venue is a favorite of Nick Lowe, and he happens to be a favorite of ours, so this provides us with the chance to see him perform every few years. Nick the Knife is now 68 years-old, but he remains a fantastic performer, showing loads of energy and enthusiasm for what he does, so it was a terrific show, and it was great to be part of the whole experience.

R.I.P.: John Avildsen, 'Rocky' and 'Karate Kid' Director, Dead at 81.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Stick Figure Badminton 3.
Story: Pa. man awarded $870,000 after doctor removes wrong testicle.
Science: U.S. Open Grass Is an Obstacle and a Potential Health Hazard. Thanks j.c.f.
Media: HeroStorm Ep 25 No One Can Stop Death.
When you send dad to get the boy a lunchbox.
Selfie fail at KartWorld. Like a don't text and drive PSA.
Follow-up: Carrie Fisher died of sleep apnea and 'drug use' was also a factor, L.A. County coroner says.
Bat-Signal lit up for Adam West.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Pa. man awarded $870,000 after doctor removes wrong testicle. Jun 19, 2017, 04:30 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 14:38:
From the article, "It is the first medical malpractice verdict in the immediate area in at least 25 years." Depending on what constitutes the "immediate area" that seems some what surprising. I'm guessing there have been other cases of medical malpractice during that time...

I doubt the lawsuits for this will increase now that the precedent for such a severe mistake makes it clear you only get awarded 870k for "mistakenly" inflicted sterility.

To me it can't happen soon enough that robots replace doctors, if robots fuck up, you have a data log and recordings of everything and there is always proof.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Elite Dangerous The Return Patch Plans Jun 18, 2017, 12:04 NKD

1badmf wrote on Jun 18, 2017, 04:07:
NKD wrote on Jun 18, 2017, 02:10:
Rigs wrote on Jun 18, 2017, 00:26:
*sigh* Wishful thinking, I suppose...

he isn't dead! he's just exploring beyond the rim, with Dr. Franklin and G'kar =((((

Yeah JMS has been so busy with other stuff that he just couldn't get any other B5 stuff pushed forward. Now that half the cast are gone, and the rest are doing their own thing, I don't think we'll see any more.

Maybe someone could do a good reboot at some point...

not a reboot. i don't think anyone's sad attempt at remaking b5 would ever compare favorably to the masterpiece. but b5's timeline is so huge, they could just as easily write a new story anywhere from -billions of years to +1 million years. i'd certainly watch the story of valen during the first shadow war.

I think if JMS had creative control he could probably do another solid story in the B5 universe or even a reboot. But the station itself and the characters were so central to what made B5 great, not the larger universe. Another story in the B5 universe would be little different than just a new series set in some other universe.

You are being watched.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2017, 11:03 RedEye9

The orange tweeting trolls attorney said: There's no investigation of the dotus, period.

I find it hard to believe that they are not even investigating his mental health.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

19. Re: Elite Dangerous The Return Patch Plans Jun 18, 2017, 04:07 1badmf

NKD wrote on Jun 18, 2017, 02:10:

he isn't dead! he's just exploring beyond the rim, with Dr. Franklin and G'kar =((((

Yeah JMS has been so busy with other stuff that he just couldn't get any other B5 stuff pushed forward. Now that half the cast are gone, and the rest are doing their own thing, I don't think we'll see any more.

not a reboot. i don't think anyone's sad attempt at remaking b5 would ever compare favorably to the masterpiece. but b5's timeline is so huge, they could just as easily write a new story anywhere from -billions of years to +1 million years. i'd certainly watch the story of valen during the first shadow war.

18. Re: Elite Dangerous The Return Patch Plans Jun 18, 2017, 02:10 NKD

You are being watched.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2017, 02:04 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 23:50:
http://www.treknews.net/2017/02/02/why-ds9-voyager-not-on-blu-ray-hd/

Thanks, that's an interesting read.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

16. Re: Elite Dangerous The Return Patch Plans Jun 18, 2017, 00:26 Rigs

NKD wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 23:24:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 22:01:
One of the great tragedies of TV history is that the way Babylon 5 was made makes it impossible for a remastering to HD. *sigh*

It's unlikely but not impossible. It was shot on film and could be re-scanned in HD, even at 16:9. But they'd need to create all new CGI from scratch, which probably makes it unlikely to be worth the cost of creating.

I had high hopes when The Lost Tales came out that ol' JMS would push for a film or even just more DVD stories. But now with most of the cast dead, it seems just about impossible. They actually changed quite a few things, effects-wise, in the TLT DVD and at the time, JMS said it was experimentation for an updated B5, whether that be in the DVD's or a remastered series or even a film. In fact, because most of the original models for the show had been lost, they had a fan send in a mesh and model for the Warlock Destroyer seen during Sheridan's story and the B5 station was totally rebuilt with fan help. (Which is also why the destruction scene of the station at the beginning is different from that seen in the last episode, 'Sleeping In Light') Sadly, after the first DVD, he seemed to get tired of all the studio bureaucracy that always seems to interfere when he does something 'B5' related and ended up cancelling everything. I know he had plans to do a story with Vir and Londo and another involving Garibaldi. Obviously, none of that can be done now. The Lost Tales might very well be the last B5 related thing ever filmed and that's a damn shame. A crime even.

There is one hope, a slim hope but as Sheridan once said, he's 'never seen hope when it wasn't on a diet'. (One of the most cringiest lines I think JMS has ever written) That hope is the filmed scenes to 'Into The Fire'. Those have never been released or seen. Maybe one day, when Sierra and/or WB go into bankruptcy and auction, someone can scoop up the assets and remake the game as it was to be but with modern tech. My god, what a game that would be! It's feature set would've rivaled Star Citizen's, single-player-wise anyway.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2017, 01:04.

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 23:42 Mr. Tact

Hmm, could have sworn I read an article about how the show was filmed and then transferred to tape for television and either some part could not be remastered to HD or had simply been lost in the process. But you could be right, I might just be remembering it incorrectly. I don't feel like trying to find that article now...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 23:24 NKD

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 22:01:
One of the great tragedies of TV history is that the way Babylon 5 was made makes it impossible for a remastering to HD. *sigh*

It's unlikely but not impossible. It was shot on film and could be re-scanned in HD, even at 16:9. But they'd need to create all new CGI from scratch, which probably makes it unlikely to be worth the cost of creating.

You are being watched.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 22:50 afka Rossini

SlimRam wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 19:56:
Another to add to the list:

Stephen Furst died from complications of diabetes. He was 63.

Sorry to say that Vir is dead, probably one of my favorite characters from 'Babylon 5'. Stephen was in 'Animal House' too

No, not Flounder!

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 22:01 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

10. Re: Elite Dangerous The Return Patch Plans Jun 17, 2017, 21:27 Rigs

Sorry to say that Vir is dead, probably one of my favorite characters from 'Babylon 5'. Stephen was in 'Animal House' too

WHAT?!? Nooo! Quiver

*looks it up to see if really true*

I really really fucking hate life sometimes... Sigh

One of the best moments with Vir, besides his convo with Morden and then seasons later actually getting to do what he said he would...

All I can say right now is...Goodbye.

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 20:15 NKD

This cast can't catch a break jesus christ...

Per JMS the main cast who have passed on: Michael O'Hare, Andreas Katsulas, Jeff Conaway, Jerry Doyle, Richard Biggs, now Stephen Furst.

Biggs was 44 years old, the rest all kicked off around 60.

Tons of supporting actors and crew gone as well of course.

You are being watched.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 19:56 SlimRam

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2017, 20:11.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 19:38 RedEye9

An “X” can mean “operate here” or “not here,” and writing out “not this knee” backfires if the “not” gets smudged. So, don’t place any mark on a non-operative site, the new rules stress. Avoid “X” in favor of doctor initials or some other mark used hospital-wide.
This ain't new.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 19:18 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 19:03:
That just flabbergasts me. 'Hrm, which one was it again? Oh well, 50/50 shot at this, here we go!' You'd think last second for something this important you'd be double checking, 'Was it the left or the right one? My left or the other left?' If I had been the guy I probably would have just drawn an X in red magic marker on the side of my bag and told the Doc, 'X marks the spot.'

The thing is the problem testicle was half normal size so it was apparently very easy to identify the correct one. For him to get it wrong...

Stay a while, and listen.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 19:03 Cutter

That just flabbergasts me. 'Hrm, which one was it again? Oh well, 50/50 shot at this, here we go!' You'd think last second for something this important you'd be double checking, 'Was it the left or the right one? My left or the other left?' If I had been the guy I probably would have just drawn an X in red magic marker on the side of my bag and told the Doc, 'X marks the spot.'

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 17:28 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 15:33:
I will give them 2 of mine for 1.6 mil

And can't we just call it a heart attack and move on.

I've heard that life without testosterone is pretty miserable. The guy is going to have the other removed too since that was the original problem.

Stay a while, and listen.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 16:33 Rigs

You mean I missed Gordon Freeman rocking out and running into people in a mosh pit?! Damn! How much longer can I keep that on my bucket list?

Carrie Fisher died of sleep apnea and 'drug use' was also a factor, L.A. County coroner says.

Oh, bite me. She died to become more powerful than any one of us could ever imagine. That's it. No mystery behind it. She could do more as a blue force ghost to guide Episode IX than if she was alive. That is why Obi-wan died, ja? He could help more as a omni-present ghost than he could as a feeble old man. And while we're on the subject, I call bollocks that he couldn't help Luke when he went to Bespin! He couldn't help because plot, that's why! They had to manufacture some drama for his first shot at Vader and make Luke vulnerable. Or seem vulnerable. That's the only thing in Empire that really ever erked me. Wait, what were we talking about? Wacko

=-Rigs-=

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo