Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans?

Blizzard now lists a new job opening for a Lead Software Engineer for an "unannounced project" at their Irvine office. This is pretty generic, but according to Blizzplanet a previous version of the listing seemed to reveal plans to remaster Diablo II and Warcraft III. This wouldn't be a shock, since Blizzard recently announced plans to remaster the original StarCraft as well. Update: It turns out the original post is still online. Here's word:

Compelling stories. Intense multiplayer. Endless replayability. Qualities that made StarCraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo II the titans of their day. Evolving operating systems, hardware, and online services have made them more difficult to be experienced by their loyal followers or reaching a new generation.

We’re restoring them to glory, and we need your engineering talents, your passion, and your ability to get tough jobs done.

If you like wearing many hats, know small teams are the most effective, and look forward to challenges that will create millions of new adventures for our players, we would love to hear from you.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans? Jun 18, 2017, 09:51 Quinn

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 14:15:
Retired wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 12:50:

sry, should have added /sarcasm

No biggie. I'd just gotten up, having slept 15hrs after nearly 50hrs of being up doing repairs from the last severe storm that rolled through. Brain no worky well.

They should make a Discovery Channel show about ya!

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans? Jun 17, 2017, 23:25 Blizzplanet

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 14:23:
Really guys? The best idea you can come up with is to remaster D2 and WC3? You should look for jobs in Hollywood, they also love doing the same thing over and over again.

They wouldn't spend resources in making remasters unless people are still playing those games nowadays. Simple shareholder math. Shareholders invest. Developers work on the projects that are funded by them. Sure, it is a business. However, if players are still playing a game made over 15 years ago, why not remaster it so that it looks awesome in 4K Ultra HD and 1080p?

In addition, StarCraft is still played professionally and televised in South Korea. I don't think giant pixelated graphics look great in modern TV sets that watch televised eSports.

By the way, according to the video interview added to the article, if you want to play the old StarCraft versus a player who has the StarCraft: Remastered -- you both can play in the same game seemlessly. Just you will see the old pixelated version, and your opponent will be seeing the 4K version.

28. Re: Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans? Jun 17, 2017, 23:16 Blizzplanet

Frijoles wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 14:36:
Would love to play an updated WC3. Would prefer to play a new WC4. Something set well after WoW's current timeline.

The StarCraft: Remastered was developed by the Classic Games Team which is composed of 20+ developers. That is all they work on.

If a Warcraft IV game was in development, it would be made by the StarCraft II team.

Heroes of the Storm is made by its own separate team as well. Will there ever be a Warcraft IV RTS? Who knows. We will have to wait and see. StarCraft II took like 8 years to make.

27. No subject Jun 17, 2017, 14:15 Mashiki Amiketo

Retired wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 12:50:

No biggie. I'd just gotten up, having slept 15hrs after nearly 50hrs of being up doing repairs from the last severe storm that rolled through. Brain no worky well.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

26. Re: Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans? Jun 17, 2017, 12:50 Retired

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 08:45:
Retired wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 07:37:
How are they going to figure out how to do D2 random maps? Seems like such an issue for them currently.....
Random maps really aren't that difficult though. The problem was they believed that people were more interested in just grinding loot vs grinding loot and exploring. To make a random map you only need to make sure that the parcels, plots, pops are properly marked for the engine and there are enough of them. That's one thing they already kinda fixed in D3, the problem is there's a lack of parcels(sections) to plots(the entire area), reducing the amount of random for each map.

If you need to understand how it all works go look at the new xcom or xcom2, and look up how procedurally and random maps are generated.

25. No subject Jun 17, 2017, 08:45 Mashiki Amiketo

Retired wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 07:37:
How are they going to figure out how to do D2 random maps? Seems like such an issue for them currently.....
Random maps really aren't that difficult though. The problem was they believed that people were more interested in just grinding loot vs grinding loot and exploring. To make a random map you only need to make sure that the parcels, plots, pops are properly marked for the engine and there are enough of them. That's one thing they already kinda fixed in D3, the problem is there's a lack of parcels(sections) to plots(the entire area), reducing the amount of random for each map.

If you need to understand how it all works go look at the new xcom or xcom2, and look up how procedurally and random maps are generated.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

24. Re: Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans? Jun 17, 2017, 07:37 Retired

23. Re: Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans? Jun 17, 2017, 05:03 CJ_Parker

Yeah those graphics are still better than 99% of the indie pixel garbage on Steam but FREE upgrades would be always welcome, of course.
Knowing Blizzard though we will be lucky if a Diablo 2 remaster sells at under $100.
I don't get why they even bother anyway (except easy cash). Today's Diablo 3 after all the backpedaling and patches essentially is Diablo 2 remastered.

22. Re: Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans? Jun 16, 2017, 22:37 NetHead

Necrophob wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 14:51:
Dammit, I just started to replay Diablo 2. Sure, it looks terrible on lcd monitors (it looked terrible back in the crt days too), but it is still addictive as hell.

I never realized Jay Wilson was the guy who made all the good maps for Blood. He is also the project lead for the abortion that was Blood 2.

For a 17 year old game, before you could even rely on every gaming customer having a 3D card, it holds up more than reasonably even if it's no Grim Dawn.

http://lookpic.com/O/i2/1490/UeiEZrYQ.jpeg
http://lookpic.com/O/i2/592/vJxBwYmJ.jpeg

Perhaps try out a mod to allow higher resolutions. Though things get to small with higher resolutions and blocky with lower ones, then there's choosing fullscreen or windowed, see what you like.

It would be nice if Diablo 2 got upgraded textures and support for modern systems, resolutions etc. Provided they remained faithful to the art style otherwise rather not bother.

Even so I'm not sure I'd play that over the old one due to mods, like PlugY with it's storage capacity.

21. Re: Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans? Jun 16, 2017, 22:07 NetHead

Nut wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 12:34:
Remaster Warcraft 3? That engine still looks very good, and it plays well.

Plays well? Sure.

Looks good? Only with a certain nostalgic acceptance of the standard of the day.

It's an old game that still works well and looks fine. Saying that as someone having again completed it a month ago so stick the nostalgia crap back up your arse.

20. Re: Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans? Jun 16, 2017, 21:38 Suppa7

Xero wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 21:04:
Damn. Mixed thoughts on that. Obviously a remaster of Warcraft 3 would just be support for modern resolutions with not much to graphic enhance it outside of some lightly noticeable lighting changes. IF they go that far with it.

I was honestly still hoping on a true Warcraft 4 using more a long the lines of the Heroes of the Storm engine. I mean Warcraft 3 was the strategy game of my time, but I'm not sure I really want to return back to it. 8 years straight of being installed and playing it daily, don't know if I need to go back to it now.

I think it's more they want to test the waters of their new employee's and break them in with HD updates so get a sense of whether they're capable of doing a real sequel, since the original developers of these games are long since gone and team composition matters. As we've seen with the clusterfuck that was diablo 3 on release by a new team.

19. Re: Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans? Jun 16, 2017, 21:04 Xero

Damn. Mixed thoughts on that. Obviously a remaster of Warcraft 3 would just be support for modern resolutions with not much to graphic enhance it outside of some lightly noticeable lighting changes. IF they go that far with it.

I was honestly still hoping on a true Warcraft 4 using more a long the lines of the Heroes of the Storm engine. I mean Warcraft 3 was the strategy game of my time, but I'm not sure I really want to return back to it. 8 years straight of being installed and playing it daily, don't know if I need to go back to it now.

Currently playing: Counter Strike Go, The Witcher 3, Shadow Tactics

18. Re: On Overwatch Mei Skins Jun 16, 2017, 20:57 Task

Quinn wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 18:05:
I'm stunned and clueless. Why not Starcraft 3? Why not Warcraft 4? I just finished Warcraft 3 and there's NOTHING wrong with it. I'd be fuuuucking excited for Warcraft 4. Holy shit...!

Last I read, Blizzard said they would "consider" Warcraft 4 after StarCraft 2.

MekPak Variants Mod - BattleTech Beta

17. Re: Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans? Jun 16, 2017, 18:57 RedEye9

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 17:14:
The earlier you pre-order the better the exclusive ingame items you get!
The more you spend, the more you save.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

16. Re: Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans? Jun 16, 2017, 18:05 Quinn

I'm stunned and clueless. Why not Starcraft 3? Why not Warcraft 4? I just finished Warcraft 3 and there's NOTHING wrong with it. I'd be fuuuucking excited for Warcraft 4. Holy shit...!  

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

15. Re: Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans? Jun 16, 2017, 17:21 CJ_Parker

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 17:14:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 15:57:
Diablo 2 Remastered - only $69.99 for a limited time! Get your exclusive copy and your cow in-game pet by preordering right now. Players who own an active WoW account can also claim a super-exclusive cow companion for the low activation fee of only $19.99 when linking accounts. It does not get better than this. Become a member of the exclusive Blizzard club today and create your B.net account to preorder EVERYTHING we have on offer!

U mean i can haz even BIGGER COW for my pally if i preorder rite away?? OMFG wear is my mum's creditz cardz?? i mussa be prepar3d for P-DAY!!!

14. Re: Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans? Jun 16, 2017, 17:14 Tipsy McStagger

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 15:57:
Diablo 2 Remastered - only $69.99 for a limited time! Get your exclusive copy and your cow in-game pet by preordering right now. Players who own an active WoW account can also claim a super-exclusive cow companion for the low activation fee of only $19.99 when linking accounts. It does not get better than this. Become a member of the exclusive Blizzard club today and create your B.net account to preorder EVERYTHING we have on offer!

13. Re: Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans? Jun 16, 2017, 15:57 CJ_Parker

12. Re: Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans? Jun 16, 2017, 15:56 siapnar

I have no qualms with studios remastering old games as long as it's done well. Plenty of times have I wanted to go back to play older titles, but the graphics and gameplay don't hold up.  

11. Re: Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans? Jun 16, 2017, 14:56 HoSpanky

Frijoles wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 14:36:
Would love to play an updated WC3. Would prefer to play a new WC4. Something set well after WoW's current timeline.

Except Bizzard has no idea what's going to BE the end timeline for WoW. They'll keep making expansions as long as enough people are playing it.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo