Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy birthday to my better half (or more, if we were talking real percentages), MrsBlue. She turns 29 today, so please don't bring up our recent 20th wedding anniversary, or I'll have to turn myself into the authorities.

Birthday Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Monkey Go Happy Cabin Escape.
Science: Hacking the human lifespan.
Worm regenerates into two-headed creature in ISS study. Thanks j.c.f.
Media: NICEST Car Horn Ever: DIY.
Old man jamming out to Metallica.
Parrot Attacks Mormon Missionaries.
Follow-up: Report reveals years of suffering, death from therapies for “chronic Lyme.”

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 23:13 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 19:23:
Huh, I hadn't heard she'd done it to garner attention. Sounds like Munchausen by proxy.

Definitely something wrong with her in the head. Hopefully whatever sentence she gets includes some serious psychiatric care.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bad_cop_no_donut - For the latest developments in police misconduct in the US.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 19:23 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 17:35:
Speech isn't just the content of your words, it's also an action. One that can have forseeable consequences to the recipient and thus be reckless, or worse. Harassment, slander, threats of violence, incitements to violence, and so on are routinely remedied via the law, despite the fact that they are technically speech.

In this case the girl singled out her boyfriend whom she knew to be suicidal and vulnerable and aggressively pressured him for months to kill himself. Then when he did do it, she made it clear that her motivations were to get attention for herself as the grieving girlfriend. It was all about her.

This was not a case of a one-off text like 'KYS asshole!" said in the heat of an argument.

Involuntary manslaughter is probably the best they could do, but if we had a truly fair system, this level of malicious intent towards a suggestible victim would have raised this to murder.
Huh, I hadn't heard she'd done it to garner attention. Sounds like Munchausen by proxy.

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.
Would you like to know more?

44. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 17:35 NKD

Speech isn't just the content of your words, it's also an action. One that can have forseeable consequences to the recipient and thus be reckless, or worse. Harassment, slander, threats of violence, incitements to violence, and so on are routinely remedied via the law, despite the fact that they are technically speech.

In this case the girl singled out her boyfriend whom she knew to be suicidal and vulnerable and aggressively pressured him for months to kill himself. Then when he did do it, she made it clear that her motivations were to get attention for herself as the grieving girlfriend. It was all about her.

This was not a case of a one-off text like 'KYS asshole!" said in the heat of an argument.

Involuntary manslaughter is probably the best they could do, but if we had a truly fair system, this level of malicious intent towards a suggestible victim would have raised this to murder.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bad_cop_no_donut - For the latest developments in police misconduct in the US.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 15:46 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 15:41:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 12:24:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 12:19:
That is always an option. Have you tried texting.

too soon?
Haha, not for me it isn't. Although I have to say, I was a bit surprised by the verdict. I didn't read much about the case, but given the verdict I assume there was a lot more circumstantial evidence than I currently know about.
I expect they'll appeal. On the one hand she did a terrible indefensible thing. On the other prosecuting people&#8203; for speech is a slippery slope.
I get the funky numbers sometimes when I select an autospelled word on my tablet.
So I have gone back and edited rewritten the posts and wall-lah, no more numbers.

As for the girl, she's guilty as fuch.
I for one would not be too excited to find a dead child inside a vehicle with an open text message that said "get back inside".
I'm betting most parents might agree w/me.

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
http://spaf.cerias.purdue.edu/quotes.html

42. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 15:41 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 12:24:

too soon?
Haha, not for me it isn't. Although I have to say, I was a bit surprised by the verdict. I didn't read much about the case, but given the verdict I assume there was a lot more circumstantial evidence than I currently know about.
I expect they'll appeal. On the one hand she did a terrible indefensible thing. On the other prosecuting people&#8203; for speech is a slippery slope.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 13:39 Mr. Tact

Sorry, took it as a laughing at Trump.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

40. Re: Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please Jun 17, 2017, 13:32 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 00:02:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 23:53:
"President Pence" has a nice ring to it.
No, it doesn't. And if you did a bit of research on Pence you'd probably agree.
Er, you know the shocked emoticon after the statement means I was indicating the opposite.

Pence is worse than Trump because he is just as pliable but with less distractions so the conservative agenda will actually get implemented. Also Pence addresses his wife as "Mother."

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 12:24 Mr. Tact

too soon?

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 12:19 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 12:15:
Yeah, I know -- thanks for informing me on the off chance I was unaware. Just hoping I might get him/her to see the light. If it wasn't for hope I might have turned mass murderer a long time ago.

too soon?

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 12:15 Mr. Tact

Yeah, I know -- thanks for informing me on the off chance I was unaware. Just hoping I might get him/her to see the light. After all, if it wasn't for hope I might have turned mass murderer a long time ago.  

36. Re: Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please Jun 17, 2017, 11:58 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 08:24:
LOL. I am not the problem. ...
Mr. Tact
You are now having a one sided conversation with captain rudra space cadet harlock.

The only winning move is not to play.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2017, 12:15.

35. Re: Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please Jun 17, 2017, 11:33 Agent-Zero

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 08:24:
LOL. I am not the problem.

LOL. You are part of it.

34. Re: Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please Jun 17, 2017, 08:40 Mr. Tact

NKD wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 01:23:
Pence is pretty disgusting but he would at least not humiliate our country half as bad as Trump. Prior to the election I joked that Pence was impeachment insurance... now I'm 100% certain I would prefer Pence if for no other reason than predictability and to be rid of Trump.

I feared Trump would just be a Republican puppet, but at least less reliable of one than Pence. Instead, Trump has proved to be chaos incarnate and a PR disaster for America, doing shit that damages both parties and the country as a whole.
I'm not denying Trump is doing damage. I just feel the damage would be much greater if Pence takes over. Yeah, Trump is embarrassing, but I'd rather be embarrassed than be living in Pence's vision of the world.
What are they gonna do? Vote for a Democrat or third party? Trump has nearly no support left outside the hardcore Republican base, and those people have nowhere to go. He's closing in on the absolute minimum approval rating you can feasibly obtain. You can count on around 25% of Americans to approve of the President strictly on party loyalty no matter how badly he fucks up. Nixon resigning in the midst of impeachment still had 24% of the public behind him. Trump's already down to 35% not even six months in, which itself is historic.
They are going to elect even more far right GOP members, getting rid of current GOP members in the primaries -- which is exactly what the GOP is currently afraid of. Until the Ds manage to get the districts redrawn we are likely in for a GOP shit show...

33. Re: Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please Jun 17, 2017, 08:24 Mr. Tact

Agent-Zero wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 00:07:
the kids who arent democrat or republican.. i know its hard to believe, but the current 2 party system actually wont last forever.. because its physically impossible

people like you are the fucking problem. get out of the way, dude

just fucking die off if you have to.. whatever it takes..

its for the greater good
LOL. I am not the problem. I'd love to see the US do something like France just did. Have a political party grow from non-existence to having the Presidency and control of parliament in under a year. Assuming of course, the party was sane and reasonable.

That said, the barriers to do so are significant in the US. For instance, in most (all?) regions, election rules for signature requirements to get on the ballot for parties other than Rs and Ds are much higher. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, just that the system is for lack of a better word, rigged against anyone outside the Rs and Ds.

I know something else for sure. Your ranting on the Internet is less than noise in the background. If you were really interested in changing things, you wouldn't be wasting your time telling this curmudgeon that "the kids" are going to do "whatever it takes.. its for the greater good".

I hope they do. However, I'll only believe it when I see it.

32. Re: Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please Jun 17, 2017, 01:23 NKD

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 00:02:

Pence is pretty disgusting but he would at least not humiliate our country half as bad as Trump. Prior to the election I joked that Pence was impeachment insurance... now I'm 100% certain I would prefer Pence if for no other reason than predictability and to be rid of Trump.

I feared Trump would just be a Republican puppet, but at least less reliable of one than Pence. Instead, Trump has proved to be chaos incarnate and a PR disaster for America, doing shit that damages both parties and the country as a whole.

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 00:00:
The problem being a possible revolt by the Trump supporters.

What are they gonna do? Vote for a Democrat or third party? Trump has nearly no support left outside the hardcore Republican base, and those people have nowhere to go. He's closing in on the absolute minimum approval rating you can feasibly obtain. You can count on around 25% of Americans to approve of the President strictly on party loyalty no matter how badly he fucks up. Nixon resigning in the midst of impeachment still had 24% of the public behind him. Trump's already down to 35% not even six months in, which itself is historic.

31. Re: Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please Jun 17, 2017, 00:09 Agent-Zero

ok im done with politics for a while now  

30. Re: Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please Jun 17, 2017, 00:07 Agent-Zero

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 22:50:
Agent-Zero wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 22:29:
bullshit. the damage is done. the public doesnt forgive shit anymore - he already fucked up big time and joe sixpack doesnt give a shit about legislation this and policy that... trump is far far FAR too stupid to get away with all his bullshit while remaining in the spotlight forever, as the US president is by definition... everybody knows it, and everybody is making their list and checking it twice

problem is that the Ds are almost just as bad, they are just too stupid/pretentious to lie about it... theyre fucked

its gonna be new blood up in there pretty soon.. wait for it
I'm not quite following you... Trump has fucked up, Joe six-pack isn't going to forgive him, and the Ds are just as bad. So, who exactly do you think is going to take over? The British Labour Party?

the kids who arent democrat or republican.. i know its hard to believe, but the current 2 party system actually wont last forever.. because its physically impossible

people like you are the fucking problem. get out of the way, dude

just fucking die off if you have to.. whatever it takes..

its for the greater good

29. Re: Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please Jun 17, 2017, 00:02 Mr. Tact

28. Re: Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please Jun 17, 2017, 00:00 Mr. Tact

NKD wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 23:44:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 22:50:
All these things are big positives for the people who elected him, and the GOP knows it.
I think it's the other way around. The reason people think those things are positive is because their God Emperor Trump did them. They don't care about policy, they care about the team they are on.
I'm not sure I understand how you are disagreeing with me... Yes, they are positives because he said he would do them, and he followed through.
Trump only cares about himself and the Republicans know this. If and when it becomes clear that he is more trouble than he is worth, they'll turn on him. The bar for this is quite high however, having a useful idiot in the Oval Office is quite valuable even if he is troublesome. It remains to be seen whether that bar can be reached.
I agree. Although you could make an argument that getting rid of Trump for Pence would make it easier to accomplish their agenda. The problem being a possible revolt by the Trump supporters.

27. Re: Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please Jun 16, 2017, 23:53 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 21:10:
Latest dotus tweets over Russia inquiry renew fears he may try to force out special prosecutor.
My fingers are crossed that this is the beginning of the un-orangening

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo