Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced

Paradox Interactive unveils Bastard's Wound, a new expansion coming to Tyranny, Obsidian Entertainment's role-playing game. This page has details on the pack and a teaser trailer, saying the pack is "coming soon." Coming even sooner than that is Tales from The Tiers, a new DLC pack that's now available. Here's the deal on both:

Paradox Interactive, a publisher of games for good and evil players alike, today announced new content for Tyranny, the award-winning role-playing game (RPG) developed by Obsidian Entertainment. Tyranny: Bastardís Wound will launch later this year on Windows, Mac, and Linux PCs, and will offer players a new major quest line set in the mysterious illegal settlement of Bastardís Wound. Read more about the upcoming expansion here: https://www.paradoxplaza.com/tyranny-bastards-wound

In addition, for players who canít wait to experience new content, a new Event Pack has been released today, titled ďTales from the Tiers,Ē featuring new world events and expanded quests for the original Tyranny. Tales from the Tiers is available now; find it here: https://www.paradoxplaza.com/tyranny-tales-from-the-tiers

See what awaits in Bastardís Wound in a new trailer:

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced Jun 16, 2017, 03:01 yuastnav

These games have been getting better and better. I quite liked Pillars of Eternity but I enjoyed Tyranny and Tides of Numenera a lot more. Great games, had a lot of fun playing them. Wish I had time to play the additional content. Oh well, going to look forward to the next Pillars of Eternity game. And hopefully there will be more in the Tyranny and Torment series, too.

Tyranny even warrants a direct sequel, just to see what happens next in the world.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 15, 2017, 23:30 NewMaxx

MeanJim wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 18:57:
I enjoyed it. A lot of the negative reviews I see about it mainly come from people going in expecting a large, deep open world RPG like Pillars. This is more like a choose your own adventure RPG. You can't see and do everything in one play through. During main quests, you're generally given two to three choices of locations to go to. Sometimes you can only go to one or two of them, sometimes going to one will open up another option, but you can't do all of them.

Great way to put it. I was tempted to call it a "BG lite" in my other post but refrained from doing so because (as I said) the combat really doesn't quite live up to that. It's still an experience worth having and I think it's a great "budget" RPG.

25. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 15, 2017, 21:14 panbient

MeanJim wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 18:57:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 09:50:
Anyone tried Tyranny? I must not have even noticed it when it was released. Looks kinda interesting.

I enjoyed it. A lot of the negative reviews I see about it mainly come from people going in expecting a large, deep open world RPG like Pillars. This is more like a choose your own adventure RPG. You can't see and do everything in one play through. During main quests, you're generally given two to three choices of locations to go to. Sometimes you can only go to one or two of them, sometimes going to one will open up another option, but you can't do all of them.

Thanks for this review. It's not quite bumping Tyranny to the top of my list but I'll definitely be reconsidering it during the upcoming Steam sale (all depends on how much I have left in my game budget after picking up Motorsport Manager).

24. Re: Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced Jun 15, 2017, 17:22 Agent-Zero

btw:

Loyalty and Service: Bastardís Wound will arrive alongside a free update to Tyranny, including new voice-acting, expanded content in the gameís third act, and an all-new path to an unseen ending. What fate awaits those who remain truly loyal to Kyros?

need i say more?

23. Re: Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced Jun 15, 2017, 08:53 El Pit

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 15, 2017, 02:19:
Ye might wanna hold off on this update and DLC, it breaks tooltips... and without tooltips, nothing in this game magic wise is functional.

Actually, it breaks a lot more than that as I just discovered in a short play... not really enjoying these events either, just got one 2s before reaching my destination on the map and was teleported right back to where I started that 3day travel... great!

And this is how they turned 30 hrs of gameplay into a whopping 60+ hours! HOORAY!

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

22. Re: Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced Jun 15, 2017, 02:19 eRe4s3r

Ye might wanna hold off on this update and DLC, it breaks tooltips... and without tooltips, nothing in this game magic wise is functional.

Actually, it breaks a lot more than that as I just discovered in a short play... not really enjoying these events either, just got one 2s before reaching my destination on the map and was teleported right back to where I started that 3day travel... great!

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2017, 03:11.

21. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 14, 2017, 22:43 NewMaxx

NetHead wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 13:46:
One good thing I remember about the combat though was how companions have skills that can mix with your character. Like you can throw character X up into the air so they shoot arrows from high up, while another companion will have some other move.

At first I thought it a bit gimmicky but then figured it's a good way to add to the combat of the established gametype.

I definitely used these a lot during game-play, there were a few that are really good actually. When I said combat was lackluster I meant that I was "fast forwarding" a lot because really it became a grind past a certain point in the game. If you build your characters right and know what abilities to use/macro/prep it becomes pretty much automatic after mid-game if not earlier. Keep in mind combat can be tricky early on especially and if you have a weak build/party that exacerbates the problem, but I was mostly comparing it to Pillars. To be fair the combat in Numenara is even worse but anyway...

20. Re: Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced Jun 14, 2017, 22:27 CJ_Parker

I'm gunna grab this when the fully patched GOTY is on sale. Anyone who buys an Obshittian game before it is fully patched isn't quite right in the head or a masochist (or both for that matter).  

19. Re: Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced Jun 14, 2017, 20:23 HorrorScope

The first big issue I had was the price of $45, it is just to high for this market today. It is 50% off now which is now a reasonable price. I heard good and bad, I'd say I would like it for sure, but for me in games there is a thing as too much to read, so maybe this goes past that line. I'd probably jump at it now, but still too much other stuff to play.  

18. Re: Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced Jun 14, 2017, 20:07 Agent-Zero

splitting hairs

basically - they finish them later. thats the main takeaway here

so ive been waiting until it happens for all the recent "retro" RPGs

probably end up doing it for Divinity 2 as well

17. Re: Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced Jun 14, 2017, 19:22 MeanJim

Suppa7 wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 11:04:
The problem is the game is rushed. The game really isn't worth the money because it is so short and it's just feels like a cash in after the kickstarter madness every old developer thought meant they could simply easily cash in by making half baked old CRPG's.

This wasn't kickstarted. Tyranny is a Paradox title developed by Obsidion. It has nothing to do with Pillars or Kickstarter.

Agent-Zero wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 11:15:
I figured it would be another situation of a Directors Cut + DLC update...

and here it is

BTW this shit is now the norm for Obsidian and InXile apparently... so Im going to regard it as such..

This is the norm for Paradox. Like I said above, Tyranny is a Paradox game. Paradox is well known for their DLC. Pillars had two expansions announced before the kickstarter ended. None of InXile's kickstarted games have had DLC. The Waseland 2 Directors cut that included a lot of new content was free. They've already said any DLC or new content for Torment will be free as well.

MeanJim on Steam

16. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 14, 2017, 18:57 MeanJim

Anyone tried Tyranny? I must not have even noticed it when it was released. Looks kinda interesting.

Depending on your choices along the way, some locations won't become available at all and some will close off. There was one location that was marked on my map, but it never was available to me. After I finished the game, I looked up the full map on the official wiki and there are a lot of areas that weren't available to me based on the path I chose. The reason I wasn't able to go to that marked area was because in an earlier part of the main quests I had to chose between going to two locations. In that part, I was able to go to both, but this quest depended on the order you visited them as to whether or not that third location opened up. There was another chance for me to get to it later, but the choices I made to resolve that quest meant it wasn't necessary.

This game is shorter than a typical RPG, but anyone finishing in 20-30 hours is rushing through an missing a lot of things. All main quests and most side quests are tracked in the journal, but there are a lot of hidden quests and even parts to and main and side quests that you can find if you notice the clues and put them together. My first play through was over 100 hours. There is a lot of (optional) lore to read, which I read and enjoyed.

There are hidden quests and parts of side and main quests that don't show up in your journal, and I was quite surprised that they reward you for thinking for yourself instead relying on just following the journal all the time. One of these hidden parts related to a main quest that opened up if you found a certain note. If you read the note and are observant, you'll realize it refers to this quest. Reading the note doesn't add any extra objectives to your journal, but it has the description of a location. If you find that location and find another clue, the clue points you to a person that you could have already talked to or would meet later. I had already talked to this person and knew who it was referring to. After finding those clues, when I went back and talked to that person, there was now an option to ask them about it, which gives you yet another clue which required you to once again use your brain to figure out where to go to put all the pieces together. I enjoyed that a lot. Out of curiosity, I skimmed a few let's plays on YouTube and of the people that found that note all but one didn't notice it was a clue to that quest. The one that did notice it, made a comment about how it sounded like it could be part of the quest, but when he checked his journal and didn't see anything about it, brushed it off.

The ending does seem like it was cut short. The first act is fairly short, but the 2nd act is fairly long. Then the final act comes, and it seems like they had plans for more but then it's just over. It doesn't ruin the game as a while though.

Minor spoilers below:
Throughout the game, you gain power by finding artifacts and defeating arcons. You use this power to cast edicts of your own. You are forced to cast edicts at two points in the game, but outside of those two, I never felt the need to cast another. The edicts aid you in battle, but usually have a drawback that didn't seem worth it.

After Act 2, new research options opened up at the library to research new edicts, but by then I had already used my supplies researching other things, but if I had the supplies I don't think there was enough time to research them before the game ended. It seems like they intended for there to be more due to the amount of power I had and the number of edicts that could be unlocked, but cut it short due to time or maybe to sell expansions later (it is a Paradox game after all).

Major spoilers below:
The story and writing overall was good, but there were a few instances that didn't make sense. The most glaring one was if you chose the rebel path. I chose to side with the rebels to end the edict because it seemed the most logical way since the two arcons were busy bickering with one another. To end the edict, one of the arcons or a member of the court has to claim the Ascension Hall. When you meet the rebels at Ascension Hall, the two arcons are right behind you and will try to claim the place. By enlisting the help of the rebels, you're the only person that can end the edict, but instead of rushing inside to claim the Hall and end the edict, you have to risk your life by staying outside and fighting off the assault. Sure it would have been boring if you just ran inside quickly and claimed the Hall, ending the edict, but they should have come up with a good reason for you to have to stay outside and personally repel the attack. There were a couple of other places I could nitpick, but it's really very few.

MeanJim on Steam

15. Re: Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced Jun 14, 2017, 18:12 Citizen P

I enjoyed the game, it plays as you would expect an Obsidian game to play. Mechanically the game is well-balanced at the beginning and then it becomes much easier, with the caveat that if you micro-manage your combat and run as close to turn-based as you can - you become overpowered very quickly. If you run the game in real-time, or close to it, it's more balanced - and in my opinion more fun.

Storywise I found it interesting, with four or perhaps five discernable endings that you can determine as you play. Cutter's comments are, comical as best.

14. Re: Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced Jun 14, 2017, 17:59 Timmeh

I kept reading this as Tranny : Bastards Wound.

Confusing when lysdexia kicks in.

Then my brain finally figured out what it was saying and i was like... oooh ok... now that makes sense.

At first i was thinking it was some kind of Rupaul inspired game or something.

13. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 14, 2017, 16:36 Cutter

ShakaUVM wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 14:35:

Ignore the haters, it's actually really good if you like Baldur's Gate style games. (If you don't like reading walls of text and agonizing over what your character will say, then you probably won't like it.)

No, don't ignore the haters unless you're some dull witted clod who's easily entertained by bad writing and game design. If you are, knock yourself out. Haters hate for valid reasons. Particularly in the context of criticism of arts and entertainment. We demand better for our hard earned dollars. It's not hate for hate sake, it's well deserved contempt.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

12. Re: Evil, not too short... Jun 14, 2017, 15:03 Agent-Zero

Jagacademy wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 12:41:
P.S. The average playtime is 30 hours, that doesn't feel "too short" to me. Mass Effect was 29, Fallout was 23, etc. I end up not finishing games like Fallout 4 and Witcher 3, because I get burned out long before that point. To me, "too short" would be 4-10 hours, which happens a lot nowadays.

its not referring to playtime... its supposedly "too short" in the way the story flows... as in, it doesnt end properly or in a satisfying way - apparently its a haphazard rush job compared to the earlier sections

its a fairly consistent criticism I saw from numerous reviews/youtubes.. but im sure its not 100% shared by every single person out there

11. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 14, 2017, 14:35 ShakaUVM

Ignore the haters, it's actually really good if you like Baldur's Gate style games. (If you don't like reading walls of text and agonizing over what your character will say, then you probably won't like it.)

I have been playing it through on difficult, and the fights are actually really tough. You have to strategize a lot, and mix crowd control with damage and aggro management to not have your characters just get exploded left and right.

The spell crafting system is really really good.

I like the strongholds - they actually do something, unlike in Pillars of Eternity. You can craft items from recipes, upgrade gear, hire trainers to train your skills, etc. You never seem to have enough money to optimize everything you want to do, so you have to think intelligently about your upgrades, since, again, the combats are tough.

Great worldbuilding, great story. Playing an evil character is also a fun change.

My only disappointment with Paradox was that they didn't market it, so a lack of sales means a lack of support for the franchise, but hey look two DLCs. So maybe it's looking up.

10. Re: Evil, not too short... Jun 14, 2017, 14:05 Icewind

P.S. The average playtime is 30 hours, that doesn't feel "too short" to me. Mass Effect was 29, Fallout was 23, etc. I end up not finishing games like Fallout 4 and Witcher 3, because I get burned out long before that point. To me, "too short" would be 4-10 hours, which happens a lot nowadays.

30hrs isn't the problem. The real problem is that of that 30hrs, you spend 10 of it just sitting there reading text. I'm all for a great, epic, long-lasting story with deep background lore, but the amount of unspoken text in the game makes Planescape look like a 2 page internet fanfic.

9. Re: Evil, not too short... Jun 14, 2017, 13:51 Cutter

Can you actually be "evil" in this game? Or is it just a marketing gimmick?

I remember playing a game a couple years ago, advertised as "being able to play the bad guy", but it was full of cop-outs. (For example: Try to attack civilian, character says "You could kill him...but you might need their help later.)

In Ultima games you can do evil things, like steal/kill people, but you are ultimately a hero.

Ironically the only game I've played where you actually feel "evil" is playing a Sith in the Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Yeah, but like the vast majority of ALL fiction/games most writers and designers do piss poor at representing evil, it's the same here. Your "choices" really just boil down to being some psycho chaotic evil ashhole, lawful evil oppressor, or selfish prick straddling the fence of evil. It's all tightly scripted so no, it's not like you can walk in and destroy some village for a laugh and then everyone everywhere you go mutters under their breath about what a right evil bastard you are. It was a really bad premise to go with. It would have been much better to just let you start out as a cog in a grand evil machine and let you determine how you work your way to the top.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

8. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 14, 2017, 13:46 NetHead

NewMaxx wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 12:52:
Good budget game, combat is pretty lackluster though. I still enjoyed it but I approached it with low expectations.

One good thing I remember about the combat though was how companions have skills that can mix with your character. Like you can throw character X up into the air so they shoot arrows from high up, while another companion will have some other move.

At first I thought it a bit gimmicky but then figured it's a good way to add to the combat of the established gametype.

I do remember thinking it's unfortunate that all such moves/skills revolve around the player character. If companions could do it to eachother (giggity, I don't know where that came from) there was the possibility of having new combinations by mixing X and Y, or X and Z, so on.

The gripe that first comes to mind for me is the skills, skill tree, thing. It was a disaster. I don't remember specifics but there was so much wrong there in so many ways.

Oh one other thing I liked about it, there was a bug with the Edict in that if you read it after the time it specifies, that time happens in the next year. Giving you an extra year before time runs out. They left this in because though unplanned it works perfectly with how their Edicts are strictly based on the working of the Edict. So glad they left that in and also a great example of a bug being an "undocumented feature".

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo