Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Announced

The Age of Empires website announces Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, a remastered version of the classic real-time strategy game in development at Forgotten Empires. They don't have a release date yet, but urge those interested to head over and sign up for beta testing. Here's a trailer and here's word:

We are so excited to finally be able to announce our latest project to you all! Allow me to introduce Age of Empires: Definitive Edition!!

We have put a ton of cool new stuff in this 4K remastered version of our original game. Including all upgraded art assets, completely new narration throughout, and hundreds of new and rebuilt sound effects! The game will include single player and multiplayer modes, as well as a classic mode for when you just need to get the look and feel of that good ol’ AoE!

Now I hate to say it, but you can’t get your hands on the full game quite yet… You can however sign up for our Beta program, and help us get the feedback we need to make this game be the best it can be! Click here to sign up for our Age of Empires Insider Program for more information on the Beta!

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 13, 2017, 20:28 Scottish Martial Arts

Osc8r wrote on Jun 13, 2017, 18:59:
And you'd pay $20 for that privilege? Oh, and it still looks like shit.

Oh, and 4chan ->

Not on an impulse, add-to-unplayed-Steam-collection buy (would need to be $10 or less for that), but if I felt the desire to play AoE1 again, and such a desire has crossed my mind on a couple of occasions in recent years, then yeah, I'd pay $20 for it.

And if you care about a game from 1997 looking like a game from 1997 updated to run on modern monitor resolutions, why would you even care about an AoE4? It's not like the fanbase for this series only has gaming memories going back to the Xbox 360.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 13, 2017, 18:59 Osc8r

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jun 13, 2017, 18:45:
Osc8r wrote on Jun 13, 2017, 00:34:
Stop rehashing this sh*t and make AOE4.

Dude, the only way to play AoE 1 these days is to pirate an .iso or get the CD-ROM off eBay, install Win98 in a virtual machine, and run it there. Edgelords such as yourself may be cool with that, but personally, I'd rather just buy an executable that runs on modern systems and have 2d graphics that don't look like shit on my 21:9 monitor.

And you'd pay $20 for that privilege? Oh, and it still looks like shit.

Oh, and 4chan ->

9. Re: Skull & Bones Announced Jun 13, 2017, 18:53 Rigs

Luke wrote on Jun 13, 2017, 08:38:
Hmm don't like it don't buy it .......
Thats the same phrase used when the horsearmor was released and just look how That turned out....wiseguy

Yes, how did it turn out, because from the way I see it, it became a non-issue pretty quick other than fodder for 'Worst of...' Top Ten lists on Youtube and Buzzfeed. Surely, a horrible fate, indeed!

=-Rigs-=

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 13, 2017, 18:45 Scottish Martial Arts

Osc8r wrote on Jun 13, 2017, 00:34:

Dude, the only way to play AoE 1 these days is to pirate an .iso or get the CD-ROM off eBay, install Win98 in a virtual machine, and run it there. Edgelords such as yourself may be cool with that, but personally, I'd rather just buy an executable that runs on modern systems and have 2d graphics that don't look like shit on my 21:9 monitor.

7. Re: Skull & Bones Announced Jun 13, 2017, 08:38 Luke

Rigs wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 23:55:
Christ, you people can be cynical bastards! (I mean that in a adorably loving way! ) You don't like it, don't buy it! Yeah, I get the whole' stagnation of ideas in the industry' thing. I've said as much myself a hundred times before but still. Even back in PC Gaming's 'Golden Age' (1990's), there were remakes and remasters, just not in name. They want to bring back an old classic with updated parts, so be it! I don't have a problem with it. If they just brought it back as a 'Classic Edition' with no enhancements and just leaned on nostalgia alone, then I'd have a problem...

=-Rigs-=

Hmm don't like it don't buy it .......
Thats the same phrase used when the horsearmor was released and just look how That turned out....wiseguy

6. Re: Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Announced Jun 13, 2017, 08:25 Task

Hopefully the cheat codes will be intact haha.  

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

5. Re: Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Announced Jun 13, 2017, 06:15 Numinar

Seems to be a bit more effort than the decent Skybox remakes, though the source material also needs it more than those awesome games did.

And unlike Cossacks 3, or Starcraft 2 for that instance, it seems to be willing to cast aside some of that 'Classic' baggage like the nasty zoom limit. If they get creative with the interface and modernize it, and maybe bring in some of the AOE/RoN style unit behavior AI toggles it will be a worthy rebuy.

4. Re: Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Announced Jun 13, 2017, 00:34 Osc8r

Cossacks 3 isn't too bad, been playing that lately for my RTS fix.

3. Re: Skull & Bones Announced Jun 12, 2017, 23:55 Rigs

Christ, you people can be cynical bastards! (I mean that in a adorably loving way! ) You don't like it, don't buy it! Yeah, I get the whole' stagnation of ideas in the industry' thing. I've said as much myself a hundred times before but still. Even back in PC Gaming's 'Golden Age' (1990's), there were remakes and remasters, just not in name. They want to bring back an old classic with updated parts, so be it! I don't have a problem with it. If they just brought it back as a 'Classic Edition' with no enhancements and just leaned on nostalgia alone, then I'd have a problem...

=-Rigs-=

2. Re: Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Announced Jun 12, 2017, 23:25 CJ_Parker

The overwhelming love for PC gamers continues with the cheap rehash of a WW2 era classic I see. Probably Win 10 and Windows store only going by the shit at the end of the trailer. Nice try, Microsoft. Try again.  

1. Re: Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Announced Jun 12, 2017, 23:06 jacobvandy

I had about 10 seconds of hope when they debuted this trailer, that we might actually see something new in the series rather than yet another remaster...  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo