Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced

More leaked news is now unleaked, as UbiBlog has the official announcement of Assassin's Creed Origins, confirming the ancient Egypt setting for the next installment in the assassination sequel. This already has a release date, as they say it's expected on October 27th. This trailer accompanies the news to show this off, and they also have this article with all the details you need for this. Here's word:
Amongst the Great Pyramids, the last pharaohs, and the myths of Ancient Egypt, the Assassinís Brotherhood was born. As Bayek, a protector of Egypt, youíll experience the origin story of the Brotherhood as it unfolds against the backdrop of one of historyís greatest empires, plunging you into a living world where epic battles will be fought and ancient secrets discovered.

Assassinís Creed Origins features new action-RPG elements, which allow you to level and customize your own version of Bayek with unique gear and powerful weapons before engaging in a new combat system designed to offer more tactical freedom than ever before in the franchise. Likewise, a new quest experience gives you the opportunity to explore and uncover the mysteries of Ancient Egypt at your own pace.

In addition to the standalone game, Assassinís Creed Origins will be available in Deluxe and Gold Editions. The Deluxe Edition includes the base game, a printed version of the hand-drawn world map, the official soundtrack, and a variety of digital content that includes the Ambush at Seas naval mission, the Desert Cobra Pack, and three bonus Ability points. The Gold Edition includes all of the Digital Deluxe Edition content as well as the Season Pass, which grants access to all upcoming expansions and equipment sets.

Assassinís Creed Origins will be available at the launch of Xbox One X and on October 27 for Xbox One, PS4, PS4 Pro, and PC. For more information, stay tuned to UbiBlog.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 13, 2017, 07:58  Kxmode 

Numinar wrote on Jun 13, 2017, 06:48:
The top 3 you list, AC1/2/3 are the only ones I finished and would recommend though. I notice 3 is not on your list, but I loved that one.

Whoops. I did! Maybe I forgot it because it sits somewhere in the middle. Neither excellent nor bad. It's just... meh. I did enjoy the American history stuff. Learned a lot about famous landmarks. I was also really impressed with the environments, especially how walking in the snow left a visible trail.

Revised rank:
1. Black Flag
2. Syndicate
3. Brotherhood
4. Revelations
5. AC1
6. AC3
7. AC2
8. Rogue
9. Unity

Edit: Moved AC3 above AC2 simply because the controls in the PC version of AC2 made the game unplayable. However, overall it is higher than Unity because Youtube has plenty Let's Play to watch the entire game. For me, the story is most engaging.

Addendum: My rank is purely subjective and based how I view a video game.

#1 Story - How engaged was I with both the modern Abstergo and virtual history? How much they connect to the ongoing Assassins-Templars conflict. In other words, does the story move forward in a good way?
#2 Controls - If my Assassin leaps off the ledge of an eight-story building because reasons, then I blame the developer for creating a suicidal assassin.
#3 Gameplay - How much variety is there to do?
#4 Graphics - Obviously a game released in 2015 should look significantly better than one published in 2009. Case in point, Mass Effect 1 is hands downs better than MEA when it comes to facial animations.
#5 Adventure - Does the game creating an engaging hook and able to carry me through its unfolding narrative? If the adventure is not epic, is it still fun?
#6 Sound - This is everything but music. It is all the little details the help create atmosphere. The subtle drips falling off a grate into a small pool of water. The sound of the wind hitting a bush being different from the leaves of a tree. The background of people conversing helps make a bar seem bigger. The changing weather diminishing a crackling fire. I am keenly aware of these things, and when developers give their sound designers time to put this level of detail in that always gets a nod from me.
#7 Details - Everything else. Did the rain fall on the deck of a ship? When ramming into ice flows do bits of ice fall on the ship? Can the wind tear off a flag? When the light hits the sheen of my sword, does it create a bloom reflection on my character? Do people speak in their native dialect? (bummed that Ubi decided to have most of the French-speaking citizens in Unity talk in London accents)?
#8 Motive - There are the Acclaims and EAs of the world who appear the create games purely motivated by profits. Then there are the CD Projekt Reds who always focus on quality and reap their just rewards over time.
#9 Message - Being an apolitical non-mainstream Christian I do not like playing gamings that try and push social agendas on me.

Hopefully, that helps explain the rank.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2017, 08:41.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 13, 2017, 06:48 Numinar

Kxmode wrote on Jun 13, 2017, 06:00:
It took me six months to go from AC2 to Syndicate.

In order of best to worst:
1. Black Flag - Fantastic setting, story, pirate ship mechanics! IMHO the pirate ship stuff is hands down the best gameplay in the entire AC series.
2. Syndicate - A vast improvement over Unity's clunky controls and "pay 2 win" cash shop.
3. Brotherhood - Love the Roman Renaissance! It was handled quite well in this chapter.
4. Revelations - Great story cliffhanger! Also, provides continuation and closure of AC1.
5. AC1 - Good start to the series.
6. AC2 - Another great cliffhanger plot.
7. Rogue - basically a substandard clone of Black Flag with no attention to detail (e.g. when the pirate ship rides over big waves and crashes down there's no wash upon the deck as there is in Black Flag. Rains never hit the ship's deck, which is especially weird during a storm.)
8. Unity - TL;DR below.

Unity remains the worse in the series. It looks amazing, but the controls. Oh, my goodness, they suck! I am performing what I believe to be a "walk over and enter drain hole entrance" and instead Arno skips all over in the middle of an army that I "smartly" called over with smoke bombs; because, you know, stealthiness. The main issue is Ubisoft decided to add bizarre mechanics that require constantly aiming Arno where to go (e.g. you have to turn him 90 degrees to move in a particular direction). All past AC games used a kind of "fuzzy logic" to determine where to go and it worked 95% of the time. Unity created many sighing and bewilderment moments. Of all the AC games, Unity had the most checkpoint restarts. I believe one mission alone required about ~35 restarts. I would not have minded this, but some of the missions (especial the final) took a couple of hours to complete. The significant glaring issue is Ubisoft's removal of two fundamental mechanics that they established in AC3 and AC respectively: whistling and always-on eagle vision. Without those UbiSoft did not make Unity harder, they just made gameplay more annoying. Contrast with Unity; Syndicate is a vast improvement. Just the control improvements alone is welcomed. Whistling is back, and eagle vision is a temporary thing, but at least it will mark targets that remain marked after the image fades away. Eagle Vision II adds the ability to mark targets behind walls. Additional skills add quality of life features which make the game feel like an AC title.

I am REALLY looking forward to ACO! Syndicate ended on an excellent cliffhanger. Spoilers: At the end, Juno said she was ready to reenter the world. Be sure to play the World War II fracture to see Juno's backstory. I made the mistake of skipping that and didn't understand the context when she suddenly appeared in the post-credits.

As much as I like the series, I hope it comes to a good end. We are up to 10 main series titles. How long can the Templars and Assassins fight one another. They need to hug and chill out!

I am a big fan of this series as well despite it's many, many sins. Looking forward to a pre-gunpowder AC game again for sure, and Ptolemaic Egypt is awesome. A reinvigorated post-alexander Egypt aware of and struggling to emulate it's 2500 year old legacy of epic monuments and continuous shitty fashion is a rich tapestry waiting for an awesome story. And dastardly Row-manz! I wonder if they will bring back some of that cool emperor cult stuff from brotherhood.

The top 3 you list, AC1/2/3 are the only ones I finished and would recommend though. I notice 3 is not on your list, but I loved that one. It's like The Last of the Mohicans or the good bits of The Patriot. The game and all your targets felt interesting and hate-able-relatable, and the main character seems to develop as a human in a way only Ezio did, turning from a petulant genocide survivor into a vengeful nightmare person (But Ezio took 2 of his 3 games to do it in).

The first two games get/got by on setting alone. Digital time travelling tourism with some inoffensively unspectacular game play in the way. Still better than most crap 3rd person character action combo-yawnfests.

It's sad though, because the worst games seem to have the most awesome settings. Unity's setting (that crowd/angry mob rendering!) and story are phenomenal but the gameplay and a lot of the mission design should be regarded as some kind of crime, or at least banned psychological torture. Get this fucker in gitmo and those canaries will sing guaranteed. The ambition was there, and another year in the cooker might have made it the AC co-op dream it should have been but it was not to be. I have a sneaky suspicion that Syndicate with it's tag-team protagonists was meant to crib the 2p co-op from Saints Row in the same way it took the territory control/mission structure and carriage combat from it but had it cut at some stage due to quality concerns like those that sunk Unity.

Revelations should be removed from sale and forcibly deleted from history for the nonsense bomb crafting, tower defense and phoned in mission design, and the story seemed super slow and lame in the parts I was able to tolerate though your ranking of it suggests I should give it another go. Maybe it gets better? But who has time for that? An amazing city at an amazing time in history squandered. Bury it in the desert with Unity.

As for the music rhythm style combat, I prefer that to most solutions. But I played and loved all the Rocksteady Batman games twice each so maybe there is something wrong with me. The good AC games have ways of surprising you with new animations after even 20 hours of eye stabbing hijinks which kind of helps keep it fresh. Also you can almost always run away if you are that bored so no biggie.

19. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 13, 2017, 06:00  Kxmode 

It took me six months to go from AC2 to Syndicate.

In order of best to worst:
1. Black Flag - Fantastic setting, story, pirate ship mechanics! IMHO the pirate ship stuff is hands down the best gameplay in the entire AC series.
2. Syndicate - A vast improvement over Unity's clunky controls and "pay 2 win" cash shop.
3. Brotherhood - Love the Roman Renaissance! It was handled quite well in this chapter.
4. Revelations - Great story cliffhanger! Also, provides continuation and closure of AC1.
5. AC1 - Good start to the series.
6. AC2 - Another great cliffhanger plot.
7. Rogue - basically a substandard clone of Black Flag with no attention to detail (e.g. when the pirate ship rides over big waves and crashes down there's no wash upon the deck as there is in Black Flag. Rains never hit the ship's deck, which is especially weird during a storm.)
8. Unity - TL;DR below.

Unity remains the worse in the series. It looks amazing, but the controls. Oh, my goodness, they suck! I am performing what I believe to be a "walk over and enter drain hole entrance" and instead Arno skips all over in the middle of an army that I "smartly" called over with smoke bombs; because, you know, stealthiness. The main issue is Ubisoft decided to add bizarre mechanics that require constantly aiming Arno where to go (e.g. you have to turn him 90 degrees to move in a particular direction). All past AC games used a kind of "fuzzy logic" to determine where to go and it worked 95% of the time. Unity created many sighing and bewilderment moments. Of all the AC games, Unity had the most checkpoint restarts. I believe one mission alone required about ~35 restarts. I would not have minded this, but some of the missions (especial the final) took a couple of hours to complete. The significant glaring issue is Ubisoft's removal of two fundamental mechanics that they established in AC3 and AC respectively: whistling and always-on eagle vision. Without those UbiSoft did not make Unity harder, they just made gameplay more annoying. Contrast with Unity; Syndicate is a vast improvement. Just the control improvements alone is welcomed. Whistling is back, and eagle vision is a temporary thing, but at least it will mark targets that remain marked after the image fades away. Eagle Vision II adds the ability to mark targets behind walls. Additional skills add quality of life features which make the game feel like an AC title.

I am REALLY looking forward to ACO! Syndicate ended on an excellent cliffhanger. Spoilers: At the end, Juno said she was ready to reenter the world. Be sure to play the World War II fracture to see Juno's backstory. I made the mistake of skipping that and didn't understand the context when she suddenly appeared in the post-credits.

As much as I like the series, I hope it comes to a good end. We are up to 10 main series titles. How long can the Templars and Assassins fight one another. They need to hug and chill out!

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2017, 06:11.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

18. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 13, 2017, 03:03 Luke

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 20:23:
NegaDeath wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 17:18:
And they just announced a pirate game based on/spun off the naval stuff of Black Flag. Hell yes. Ubi's having a good show.

I stopped reading right there:

"Skull and Bones will be a multiplayer-focused experience, with players competing to become the most notorious pirate."

It does not take an overly dirty mind to imagine how this will end up in a microtransaction shithell of the most epic of levels. How about a new skin for your sails? Or a new menacing looking figurehead? Just hit the store for bazillions of P2W opportunities! Yippie!!!

And AC Origins just sounds super-boring. We already know how it "ends" so what is there to explore that far in the past? Well, and a retarded season pass makes this another default wait-for-the-GOTY for $10 deal. Fuck Ubishit. If you meant they are having a good shitshow then I agree. Rarely have I ever seen so much garbage announced at just one event.

Well instead of saying fuck ubisoft ya could blame those who pay for all that microtrans...they are the ones who are FUCKED...stop buying all that microshit and they will learn to make games again...
And not all those halfbaked pos.

17. Re: Into the Black Jun 12, 2017, 21:13 NegaDeath

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 20:23:

If only you'd have stopped typing right there too.

16. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 12, 2017, 21:06 Task

Well this should be interesting, especially since the series is built on "Ancient Aliems" and what not lol. Maybe a SG-1 tie-in? Eh, eh? Personally I was always more a fan of the original AC setting in the Middle East.

Anyways, I think it's cool that they are showing what that area is theorized to have looked like in ancient times. The Pyramid was covered in that smooth outer casing stone, plus the cap, and if it still existed, would be seen from space. They called it the "Glorious Light." Plus it looks like the Nile (assuming that's what that body of water is) is shown coming up right to the Pyramids. Being able to explore that in a game is pretty cool. I've always wanted to go to Egypt and see it in person, but that probably won't happen in my life.

Other fun stuff they can explore: the great pyramid is aligned true north with 3/60th degree of error and stuff like that. Humans at that time seemed to have been way smarter than we give them credit, hyper obsessed/knowledgeable with precision and math, and even astronomy. I just hope they don't go to much with "oh yeah, uh, it was all precise and we can't do this stuff anymore because ALIENS" but I don't mind a little fun make believe if they add it - pretty much what the series is about anyways.

Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

15. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 12, 2017, 21:05  BIGtrouble77 

There's only one thing this series could do to bring me back... and that's go with an ancient Egypt setting. I hope this starts an Egypt gaming revival.  

14. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 12, 2017, 20:45 Agent-Zero

CJ_Parker

I stopped reading right there

13. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 12, 2017, 20:23 CJ_Parker

And they just announced a pirate game based on/spun off the naval stuff of Black Flag. Hell yes. Ubi's having a good show.

"Skull and Bones will be a multiplayer-focused experience, with players competing to become the most notorious pirate."

It does not take an overly dirty mind to imagine how this will end up in a microtransaction shithell of the most epic of levels. How about a new skin for your sails? Or a new menacing looking figurehead? Just hit the store for bazillions of P2W opportunities! Yippie!!!

And AC Origins just sounds super-boring. We already know how it "ends" so what is there to explore that far in the past? Well, and a retarded season pass makes this another default wait-for-the-GOTY for $10 deal. Fuck Ubishit. If you meant they are having a good shitshow then I agree. Rarely have I ever seen so much garbage announced at just one event.

12. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 12, 2017, 18:08 Agent-Zero

they also pitched the Beyond Good and Evil sequel.. apparently its a seamless open world game across multiple planets... i wonder if they are finally doing the GTA in space thing

11. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 12, 2017, 18:07  Cutter 

mellis wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 15:01:
Still looks like it devolves into the same crappy 1-on-1 combat model. At the end of that gameplay video, the protagonist has his back to the target he wishes to assassinate for a good few seconds while facing off against the 'heavy' bodyguard, and yet the target just stands there, only running away when the 'heavy' is defeated.

More of the same banal junk. Except this time with an Egyptian theme.

Oh, I don't disagree, man. For me the series has always been about the historical aspects of getting to check out the old world. I've always wanted to see a decent graphical representation of ancient Egypt and this is probably the closest wer're going to come to that. I'll buy that for a dollar!

"Listen, Iím not the nicest guy in the Universe because Iím the smartest. And being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets." - Rick Sanchez

10. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 12, 2017, 17:47 NKD

Hot damn. That was my favorite part of AC4. And it's multiplayer/open world.

"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

9. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 12, 2017, 17:18 NegaDeath

8. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 12, 2017, 15:01 mellis

Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 13:48:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 12:29:
The combat is definitely different, they're going a more RPG route with floating damage numbers, random loot drops, and enemies of varying level that may be too strong to confront when you first encounter them. Historical accuracy in technology is not going to be a limiting factor, either, since you're playing a magi who can apparently do mystical shit like guide an arrow in flight, Yondu-style.

Here's the real gameplay they showed yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX0fd4q0baQ

Good find, thanks for that. Visuals and setting are outstanding. I'm totes amped for it. Gameplay om the other hand still looks like a typical AC games, now with a bit of FC Primal thrown in. Still, it'll be worth the price of admission just to run around ancient Egypt.

Still looks like it devolves into the same crappy 1-on-1 combat model. At the end of that gameplay video, the protagonist has his back to the target he wishes to assassinate for a good few seconds while facing off against the 'heavy' bodyguard, and yet the target just stands there, only running away when the 'heavy' is defeated.

More of the same banal junk. Except this time with an Egyptian theme.

7. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 12, 2017, 13:48  Cutter 

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 12:29:
The combat is definitely different, they're going a more RPG route with floating damage numbers, random loot drops, and enemies of varying level that may be too strong to confront when you first encounter them. Historical accuracy in technology is not going to be a limiting factor, either, since you're playing a magi who can apparently do mystical shit like guide an arrow in flight, Yondu-style.

Here's the real gameplay they showed yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX0fd4q0baQ

Good find, thanks for that. Visuals and setting are outstanding. I'm totes amped for it. Gameplay om the other hand still looks like a typical AC games, now with a bit of FC Primal thrown in. Still, it'll be worth the price of admission just to run around ancient Egypt.

"Listen, Iím not the nicest guy in the Universe because Iím the smartest. And being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets." - Rick Sanchez

6. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 12, 2017, 12:29 jacobvandy

5. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 12, 2017, 12:13 Flatline

Agent-Zero wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 11:46:
its the most interesting setting they ever done IMO - but then im all about the ancient history stuff, especially bronze age.. bonus points for the ship combat and exploration - on a primitive longboat as well, thats gonna be crazy

i heard they have a whole new combat system.. man i hope so, AC combat is so lame at this point.. wait for counter - kill.. wait for counter - kill... shoot, shoot, wait for counter. etc. etc. etc.

They need a new combat system. Going back in time means that a lot of the mechanics we've gotten used to probably won't be available.

Looks good, but I've burned out on Ass Creed a while back. I was hoping for something *really* different. Wuxia tinged Chinese setting or something like that. They've hinted at that.

Either that or bite the bullet and give us a modern/modern-ish Ass Creed.

4. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 12, 2017, 12:00 aka_STEVE

Definitely looks very good - most interesting setting since the very first couple  

3. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 12, 2017, 11:46 Agent-Zero

its the most interesting setting they ever done IMO - but then im all about the ancient history stuff, especially bronze age.. bonus points for the ship combat and exploration - on a primitive longboat as well, thats gonna be crazy

i heard they have a whole new combat system.. man i hope so, AC combat is so lame at this point.. wait for counter - kill.. wait for counter - kill... shoot, shoot, wait for counter. etc. etc. etc.

2. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 12, 2017, 11:24  Cutter 

Ok, I'm down.

King Tut, buried with a donkey. Funky Tut. He's my favorite honky! Born in Arizona. Moved to Babylonia. King Tut!

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >