Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM VFR Announced

Bethesda offers new details on Fallout 4 VR and officially announce DOOM VFR, noting the VR editions of both shooters will come to HTC VIVE headsets, but not Oculus Rift, as they are still engaged in a legal war with Oculus. This page discusses Fallout 4 VR and offers this trailer showing it off. This article has the details on DOOM VFR and a trailer for that. Here's the DOOM announcement:

If you flinched the first time you saw a ravenous Pinky Demon charging at you in last year’s critically acclaimed DOOM, wait till you get up close and even more personal with rampaging demons in DOOM: VFR. Featured at Bethesda’s E3 2017 Showcase, DOOM: VFR is a new virtual reality game from legendary developer id Software, coming this year to PlayStation VR and VIVE platforms.

In DOOM: VFR, the demons from Hell have wiped out everyone inside the UAC’s Martian research facility – except you. As the last known human survivor, you have to restore operational stability and stop the demonic invasion. There’s only one catch: you’re about to be slaughtered yourself. But thanks to a top-secret UAC research program, your consciousness has been transferred to an artificial intelligence matrix. Along with all kinds classic DOOM weaponry, you’ll be armed with the ability to Teleport and Jet-Strafe so you can move fast in combat and quickly close the distance between you and the demons, then blow them to bloody bits with your Tele-frag ability. As an A.I. operative, you can also transfer your consciousness to UAC devices and robots to solve puzzles and gain access to new areas (including two never-before-seen sections of the UAC Martian Research Facility).

“Developing a DOOM game specifically for virtual reality has provided an exciting opportunity to not only surround players with the world of DOOM like never before, but also let them experience and explore the UAC and Hell in new ways, playing as new characters with totally unique tools and abilities,” says Robert Duffy, CTO at id Software.

“Since the hallmark of any DOOM game is combat, we’ve made it our top priority to ensure moving, shooting and killing demons with overwhelming force in virtual reality is as brutal and rewarding as it is in the DOOM experience that fans have been enjoying for the past year,” adds DOOM Game Director Marty Stratton.

With brutal combat from the studio that pioneered the first-person shooter genre as well as modern VR, DOOM: VFR brings id Software’s trademark carnage to a standalone VR game. See Mars and Hell from a new perspective, and lay waste to an army of demonic foes in a definitive adventure custom built for PlayStation VR and VIVE.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: On Overwatch Mei Skins Jun 14, 2017, 04:23 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 20:59:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 17:51:
Flight and driving sims work because the virtual cockpit grounds your frame of reference while reducing the amount of motion visible on the screen. You might be able to get the same effect for an FPS by fixing the gun on the screen.

Going along with that idea, would something like a Mech Cockpit/HUD then work for a FPS game? The grounding of being inside a robot.

Yes, I believe that would be analogous to piloting an A-10 in VR. Also, the old MechWarrior games had mech movement that was slower and more deliberate than a modern FPS like Doom or Quake. It should work fine in VR without the nausea inducing issues caused by the fast movement of an FPS.

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.
Would you like to know more?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 13, 2017, 08:28 VaranDragon

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jun 13, 2017, 06:17:
VaranDragon wrote on Jun 13, 2017, 05:59:
Bethesda are a bunch of fucking douchebags. They fucked over John Carmack, and they created a precedent with their horrible lawsuit where you now have companies suing former programmer employees for stealing "code".

It's beyond retarded. It's blatantly immoral. I feel bad for people who work for Bethesda (apart from their legal department) because if they leave they will never be able to find another high profile job in the industry again.

Wut? I'm guessing you must not work in tech or engineering.

I'll agree that Bethesda are a bunch of assholes -- *grumblegrumble* Fallout Series *grumblegrumble* -- but the industry standard is that if you do work in the company office, on a company computer, or on company time, then the resulting IP, if any, belongs to the company, not you. Bethesda was hardly the first to sue over who has IP rights to the work of a former employee. Carmack has spent most of his career working for companies that he founded/owned and simply made a rookie mistake as an employee of someone else's company. Side projects are something you do at home, on a non-corporate computer, and it's generally a good idea to talk to legal and get written clearance for whatever you're working on as soon as you think it might have legs.

They didn't prove that he worked on the Rift in the Bethesda offices. They actually looked at code he did while at Oculus, and concluded it contained code he used on projects while at Bethesda. It's not IP or program specific. That's the worst part. Its like saying I've ripped off my former employer because Im using "for" loops.

It's bullshit.

28. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 13, 2017, 06:17 Scottish Martial Arts

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 13, 2017, 05:59:
Bethesda are a bunch of fucking douchebags. They fucked over John Carmack, and they created a precedent with their horrible lawsuit where you now have companies suing former programmer employees for stealing "code".

It's beyond retarded. It's blatantly immoral. I feel bad for people who work for Bethesda (apart from their legal department) because if they leave they will never be able to find another high profile job in the industry again.

Wut? I'm guessing you must not work in tech or engineering.

I'll agree that Bethesda are a bunch of assholes -- *grumblegrumble* Fallout Series *grumblegrumble* -- but the industry standard is that if you do work in the company office, on a company computer, or on company time, then the resulting IP, if any, belongs to the company, not you. Bethesda was hardly the first to sue over who has IP rights to the work of a former employee. Carmack has spent most of his career working for companies that he founded/owned and simply made a rookie mistake as an employee of someone else's company. Side projects are something you do at home, on a non-corporate computer, and it's generally a good idea to talk to legal and get written clearance for whatever you're working on as soon as you think it might have legs.

27. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 13, 2017, 05:59 VaranDragon

26. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 12, 2017, 21:45 Scottish Martial Arts

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 14:56:
So, I'll have to demo some VR goggles to get the true visual experience.

It's not so much the visual experience per se but the sense of physical presence in a non-physical space. It's not really something you can describe or demonstrate short of just putting on some VR goggles and playing around for a while. I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't smiled like an idiot while trying it out: it really is a remarkable, and thoroughly immersive experience. That said, as others have noted, no one has really figured out how to do a long-form game in it, nor has the movement problem, which prevents some of the more obvious game possibilities, been solved. So for now, you can probably get away without owning a VR headset, but if you do get around to trying one, it will quickly become apparent that this is definitely going to end up being a thing once devs have figured out what sorts of games work best for it.

25. Re: On Overwatch Mei Skins Jun 12, 2017, 20:59 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 17:51:
Flight and driving sims work because the virtual cockpit grounds your frame of reference while reducing the amount of motion visible on the screen. You might be able to get the same effect for an FPS by fixing the gun on the screen.

Going along with that idea, would something like a Mech Cockpit/HUD then work for a FPS game? The grounding of being inside a robot.

24. Re: DOOM VFR Announced Jun 12, 2017, 20:39 MajorD

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 14:56:
MajorD wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 11:06:
Fallout VR.....not really liking the first person presence, especially with weapons (especially hand guns) floating in mid air....look too wonky to me. I'll stick to my 28" monitor thank you very much.

Floating guns look weird when you're not in VR. When they move with your hands, your brain immediately accepts it. Also, Raw Data does the "hands and arms" thing and it screws up enough that it's far more distracting than just having the guns floating.

Seriously, BEFORE saying something looks wrong or cheap in VR, how about you actually try it first? You need to give it a good hour's worth of goofing around in it, and THEN ask what few questions you have left. To those of us with VR gear, the CONSTANT asking of questions that are instantly answered by USING VR feels like having to describe every component of a casserole to a picky 5 year old. Just fucking try it, shut your mouth and TRY IT.

Easy there tiger, I said it looked 'wonky' to me, not wrong or cheap. But, now that I've read your post, and others, explaining why it looks that way, it makes sense. So, I'll have to demo some VR goggles to get the true visual experience.

Still counting...

23. Re: On Overwatch Mei Skins Jun 12, 2017, 20:37 HoSpanky

Squirmer wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 19:29:
What's the point of a Doom game if you don't have free movement? Fast movement is integral to Doom. This is faddish spectacle, nothing more.

VR is a completely different animal from using a monitor. Games that work on a monitor won't necessarily translate to VR, and there are VR games that absolutely can't work on a monitor. This is assuming that "VR Games" use the motion controllers.

Right now, no one's really found that "magic formula" for long-form VR games. Bethesda is filling in that gap with a pair of probably flawed, but interesting games based on big brands. DOOM is NOT going to be the same game, and FO4 will play so differently that it technically IS a different game, with completrly recycled assets.

When proper movement is sorted out, which will most likely require yet another gizmo, we'll be nicely on the way to VR becoming mainstream. In the meantime, developers will continue to figure out what "feels best". We're still in the early early stages of VR.

22. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 12, 2017, 20:18 Scottish Martial Arts

Squirmer wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 19:29:
What's the point of a Doom game if you don't have free movement? Fast movement is integral to Doom. This is faddish spectacle, nothing more.

Perhaps to give a different take on the experience of playing Doom? Don't forget that the ad copy for the original 1993 Doom referred to it as an "ultra-fast virtual reality bloodbath" or something to that effect. Having demoed VR on a number of occasions -- but not actually owning a headset -- I would absolutely be interested in trying this out. The limited movement would change the frantic running around feel of Doom 2016 certainly, but the sense of sustained panic that characterized many of the games harrier battles would surely be enhanced by the accurate sense of depth and presence as demons rush at you. Would it be as good a game? Probably not, but it would surely be a fun experience that I'd want to try.

21. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 12, 2017, 20:06 jdreyer

Tom wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 19:51:
First person movement in VR with keyboard and mouse works fine for many people, myself included. Lots of people played HL2 with the DK2 and that was on a sub-par devkit HMD with crap support for VR in HL2. Yeah, it was uncomfortable at first, but the human brain is able to adapt.

Of course, if you're convinced that you can't do something and you don't give it any serious effort, you're never going to be able to do it unless someone forces you to break through the barrier that you created for yourself. This applies to VR and anything else in life.

It's less of a "FPS in VR is impossible!" and more of how to create a game that works for the largest number of people while preventing the bad press that comes from a nausea-inducing design that affects 30% of players.

20. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 12, 2017, 19:51 Tom

First person movement in VR with keyboard and mouse works fine for many people, myself included. Lots of people played HL2 with the DK2 and that was on a sub-par devkit HMD with crap support for VR in HL2. Yeah, it was uncomfortable at first, but the human brain is able to adapt.

Of course, if you're convinced that you can't do something and you don't give it any serious effort, you're never going to be able to do it unless someone forces you to break through the barrier that you created for yourself. This applies to VR and anything else in life.

19. Re: On Overwatch Mei Skins Jun 12, 2017, 19:29 Squirmer

18. Re: On Overwatch Mei Skins Jun 12, 2017, 17:51 jdreyer

Task wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 15:52:
Nah, honestly I don't even think you know what I'm talking about in your two paragraphs of tirade. Flight Sims with VR son, it takes over mouse view and doesn't make me sick.

17. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 12, 2017, 17:23 Scottish Martial Arts

Task wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 15:52:

Nah, honestly I don't even think you know what I'm talking about in your two paragraphs of tirade. Flight Sims with VR son, it takes over mouse view and doesn't make me sick.

Vehicle based simulations, where your perspective is basically chair-bound, are an entirely different animal. The world moves relative to you in such a game; you do not -- except for looking around a cockpit which is itself fixed relative to you -- move relative to the world. This is a huge distinction. So yes, the answer to your original question is that in first-person games, trying to mix keyboard based movement with VR depth perception is literally vertigo inducing, hence why no one really tries to do it. It's been tried, and, at least with current technology, the brain's ability to interpret where it is spatially get's completely fucked and you start puking your guts out.

16. Re: DOOM VFR Announced Jun 12, 2017, 17:11 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 11:38:
These look to be solid entries into the VR space. Now where is Version 2 or some more competition to bring costs down some?

Acer is coming out with a headset, and they're shooting for a $300 price point.

15. Re: On Overwatch Mei Skins Jun 12, 2017, 15:52 Task

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 14:21:
Task wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 13:40:
That's exactly what I thought MonsterMan. Why didn't they just add VR to the original game with full keyboard mouse controller movement.

Clearly you've not played anything in VR yet. People constantly ask this question, because they don't understand that moving the mouse to change your view is sickening, immediately. It makes sense on a monitor, where you have a visual "grounding"; everything in your room that isn't the monitor. You can look away from a monitor-based game. You literally don't have that grounding in VR, and until you've tried it, you don't understand just how much you rely on it. Also, you look around your screen all the time, but aren't conscious of it. In VR, your head movements can't be tied to your weapon, it sucks. There are games (Gunjack) that rather clearly prove that it feels super wrong.

And once you're at THAT point, you realize you can't ever look down at the keyboard if needed. So you need a controller that you don't let go of. You wouldn't want to play using an Xbox controller, so now we're onto the motion controllers. DOOM moves way, WAY too fast to use traditional movement, so this teleporting/dash is the best you're gonna get for now.

Playing: Dragon Quest 1, Bravely Default

14. Re: DOOM VFR Announced Jun 12, 2017, 14:56 HoSpanky

MajorD wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 11:06:
Fallout VR.....not really liking the first person presence, especially with weapons (especially hand guns) floating in mid air....look too wonky to me. I'll stick to my 28" monitor thank you very much.

Floating guns look weird when you're not in VR. When they move with your hands, your brain immediately accepts it. Also, Raw Data does the "hands and arms" thing and it screws up enough that it's far more distracting than just having the guns floating.

Seriously, BEFORE saying something looks wrong or cheap in VR, how about you actually try it first? You need to give it a good hour's worth of goofing around in it, and THEN ask what few questions you have left. To those of us with VR gear, the CONSTANT asking of questions that are instantly answered by USING VR feels like having to describe every component of a casserole to a picky 5 year old. Just fucking try it, shut your mouth and TRY IT.

13. Re: DOOM VFR Announced Jun 12, 2017, 14:49 DangerDog

Fallout VR wasn't using teleport gun for travel, more of a sit and play with keyboard / gamepad?

I assume they're going for the stand and play for DoomVR, I'm sure it's like being there but still seems like something more appropriate for a short amusement park type experience than something you would want to spend hours doing.

12. No subject Jun 12, 2017, 14:21 HoSpanky

Task wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 13:40:
That's exactly what I thought MonsterMan. Why didn't they just add VR to the original game with full keyboard mouse controller movement.

Clearly you've not played anything in VR yet. People constantly ask this question, because they don't understand that moving the mouse to change your view is sickening, immediately. It makes sense on a monitor, where you have a visual "grounding"; everything in your room that isn't the monitor. You can look away from a monitor-based game. You literally don't have that grounding in VR, and until you've tried it, you don't understand just how much you rely on it. Also, you look around your screen all the time, but aren't conscious of it. In VR, your head movements can't be tied to your weapon, it sucks. There are games (Gunjack) that rather clearly prove that it feels super wrong.

And once you're at THAT point, you realize you can't ever look down at the keyboard if needed. So you need a controller that you don't let go of. You wouldn't want to play using an Xbox controller, so now we're onto the motion controllers. DOOM moves way, WAY too fast to use traditional movement, so this teleporting/dash is the best you're gonna get for now.

11. Re: DOOM VFR Announced Jun 12, 2017, 14:15 Simon Says

Doom - Teleportation edition *sighs*  

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo