Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Star Wars Battlefront II May Feature Microtransactions

The Star Wars Battlefront II EA Play trailer leaked yesterday disappeared shortly after it was mentioned, as is the way with leaks. Here it is for real, and if it gets yoinked now it's because EA put in a DMCA complaint on themselves. The clips shows off gameplay and some cinematics that look better than some of the CGI from the prequel trilogy. GamesIndustry.biz also has details on how content in the game will be unlocked. Apparently the battlepass that caused controversy in the previous game is not part of the plan here, as all DLC for the game is to be free. But they do note there's a likelihood that the game will be adding microtransactions:
EA also mentioned Star Wars Battlefront II will introduce a new system for unlocking content such as weapons and customisations called Battlepoints. While you will be able to earn this in-game, there will almost certainly be microtransactions that will help the publisher offset the lack of revenue generated by a season pass.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II May Feature Microtransactions Jun 12, 2017, 14:41 Slick

Lol, well in comparison the last Battlefront game you literally unlocked all weapons at level 25. Levels up to 50 were only for cosmetic unlocks (sexy black storm trooper). I literally got all the guns unlocked on the second day of playing, as opposed to Battlefield 1, where I still don't have all the guns unlocked (mostly cause I don't really care).  

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II May Feature Microtransactions Jun 12, 2017, 12:29 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, this could go smoothly and not be a problem, or end up being annoying as fuck if the 'Battlepoint' requirements require 500 hours of play for the best guns or something.

I'm reserving my right to bitch about this system in the future.

Hopefully whatever they are planning funds a nice 20-30 hour single player campaign though.

15. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II May Feature Microtransactions Jun 12, 2017, 09:35 Slick

I guess you have a point, it's nice to have a clean slate to start with (first 2 weeks where I always annihilate everyone else). One gun in Battlefront 1 was fine by me, but if they for some ungodly reason (they're never done this before) opened up all the progression to be buyable from day one, then yeah, that would suck. But I don't see how any developer/publisher would think that's a good idea.

In Battlefield titles they've opened up progression packs for $5 if you're a total casual with no time, and I'm fine with that, it takes nothing away from me and my experience. But it only works because they do it at least a month or two after launch, not day one.

So your hypothetical is a plausible argument, but I highly doubt it's likely based on its own merits, with the added benefit of never having seen a precedent for this behaviour.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

14. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II May Feature Microtransactions Jun 12, 2017, 08:53 Bopper

I'm pretty sure gear, heroes, etc. will be locked in the start and then unlocked via exp/Battlepoints/whatever which you can buy with real money, a la For Honor.

Unless you pre-order or buy X or Y in which case you unlock stuff right away. I hope I am wrong. If you only unlocked cosmetic stuff that would be nice but I doubt that monetises enough unless you have a healthy player-base for a long time, i.e. Overwatch, LoL.

- Boppa

13. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II May Feature Microtransactions Jun 12, 2017, 02:02 Slick

thecakeisalie wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 00:22:
Slick wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 00:03:
WTF are you guys talking about, Pay-to-Win? They said specifically it's cosmetic items.

And Greed? Did you miss the part of the announcement where they said that all maps, guns, heroes etc. released post-launch are FREE FOR EVERYONE? They're giving the season pass away for free, and that indicates greed. K.

I swear to god, some of you guys just see what you want to see and have no place commenting on objective reality.

You are the one with no grounding in reality if you actually believe what they say at face value. EA/Actiblizz/Ubisoft don't exactly have the best track records when it comes to microtransactions and being honest with their customers.

Lol you obviously drank the Kool-aid.

EA "said" that all DLC for Titanfall 2 would be free. It happened. Now they're saying the same for Battlefront II.

But you're right, they're probably just using the biggest gaming event of the year to announce directly to millions of viewers a BIG FAT LIE. Oh EA, why you so greedy/evil?

Seriously, you guys need to adjust your world-view glasses to let in information that occasionally contradicts your established pre-determined narrative lest you miss everything good and die angry.

12. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II May Feature Microtransactions Jun 12, 2017, 00:22 thecakeisalie

Slick wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 00:03:
WTF are you guys talking about, Pay-to-Win? They said specifically it's cosmetic items.

And Greed? Did you miss the part of the announcement where they said that all maps, guns, heroes etc. released post-launch are FREE FOR EVERYONE? They're giving the season pass away for free, and that indicates greed. K.

I swear to god, some of you guys just see what you want to see and have no place commenting on objective reality.

You are the one with no grounding in reality if you actually believe what they say at face value. EA/Actiblizz/Ubisoft don't exactly have the best track records when it comes to microtransactions and being honest with their customers.

11. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II May Feature Microtransactions Jun 12, 2017, 00:03 Slick

10. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II May Feature Microtransactions Jun 11, 2017, 23:35 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2017, 13:10:
Because of course it will.

Was never any doubt of that, EA is going the path of greed, and greed corrupts

9. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II May Feature Microtransactions Jun 11, 2017, 23:21 Suppa7

thecakeisalie wrote on Jun 11, 2017, 20:39:
Anyone pre-ordering this game deserves whatever pay-to-win bullshit EA cooks up. Seriously people, stop supporting microtransactions in full price games already.

That ship sailed long ago, as soon as people bought into the first drm'd game (mmo's, a game with a subscription you don't own). Everything else was inevitable. MMO's proved the average gamer is a technology illiterate moron. MMO's paved the ways for steam and always online drm in diablo 3.

8. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II May Feature Microtransactions Jun 11, 2017, 21:36 Slick

Yeah...

I think they're allowed real-money transactions for cosmetic items in exchange for giving away all DLC for free.

7. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II May Feature Microtransactions Jun 11, 2017, 20:39 thecakeisalie

Anyone pre-ordering this game deserves whatever pay-to-win bullshit EA cooks up. Seriously people, stop supporting microtransactions in full price games already.  

6. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II May Feature Microtransactions Jun 11, 2017, 16:43 DangerDog

You'll have to spend Battlepoints to keep your armor and weapons up to 100% effectiveness.

5. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II May Feature Microtransactions Jun 11, 2017, 15:08 CJ_Parker

Nailbender wrote on Jun 11, 2017, 15:05:
There we go! THAT'S why all DLC will be free.

xactly

4. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II May Feature Microtransactions Jun 11, 2017, 15:05 Nailbender

There we go! THAT'S why all DLC will be free.  

3. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II May Feature Microtransactions Jun 11, 2017, 14:24 jacobvandy

Even though it's EA and chances are decent he's right, it's still baseless speculation, especially the implication with battle points. They may have unlocker packs for class progression, but I'm pretty sure the BP system is analogous to kill streak rewards in Call of Duty. They're not a persistent in-game currency, you have to start over earning them each match and it works to escalate the conflict after a duration, with the summoning of vehicles and heroes. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot again if they let people pay money to spawn as Darth Maul right out of the gate, or pay enough money to continue playing him the entire match.  

2. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II May Feature Microtransactions Jun 11, 2017, 13:42 Yosemite Sam

If only the gameplay was as great as the graphics, man that's some serious eye candy.  

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

1. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II May Feature Microtransactions Jun 11, 2017, 13:10 jdreyer

Because of course it will.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >