Out of the Blue

I've got a batch of four yogurt drinks I want to return to the supermarket because they went bad or something. They are supposed to be banana flavored, but I can't taste the banana at all. So perhaps they spoiled, or maybe they just didn't make their trip down the right conveyor for flavoring. In any event, they are unpleasant at best, but this leaves me in the awkward position of returning yogurt for being sour, which seems a bit like returning a pizza because it's cheesy.

Sour Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Bike Ride.
Link: The guy who played Barney for a decade speaks.
Story: Gunn Runs Post-"Avengers" Marvel Cosmic Universe.
Media: FRIDAY THE 13TH (Honest Game Trailers).
Extreme Target Shooting Gone Wrong.
Pea Truck to the Rescue!.
Auctions: Vintage Apple sneakers auction starts at $15,000.
Colin McRae's Subaru Impreza sold for £230,000.
The Funnies: Savage Chickens.
View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Jun 10, 2017, 19:39
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2017, 19:39
Jun 10, 2017, 19:39

Speaking of Sin
from hardocpforumer Delicieuxz
It's strange how development of the FPS genre peaked in the late 90's, and then has mostly settled with its most basic feature: running and shooting. I think that the FPS genre maybe peaked artistically with SiN. That game is like a hybrid between Duke Nukem 3D and Deus Ex, while still clearly being an action-filled FPS game. But it contains a lot of elements that tries to expand the identity of a FPS beyond the basic running-and-gunning premise.

- very story oriented, with character and story developments throughout the levels
- multiple primary and secondary objectives (which may or may not be fulfilled)
- multiple ways through levels, sometimes multiple level exits
- high levels of environmental interactivity, with interactivity being key to opening up different pathways
- high assortment of inventory items
- stealth missions and sections of levels
- keycard gameplay
- lots of secrets and un-documented bonuses, such as collecting weapon parts to build a special weapon
- collecting body part-specific armour from fallen opponents
- lots of cool quirks like being able to shoot guns out of opponent hands, and them able to do the same to you, using vehicles, text-navigated in-game computer systems for looking up information to complete objectives

BTW, SiN Gold is 75% off on GoG right now. I picked it up because the Steam version is censored and missing the expansion, and am having a blast playing through it again.
https://www.gog.com/game/sin_gold
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Jun 10, 2017, 09:55
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2017, 09:55
Jun 10, 2017, 09:55

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 21:36:
MeanJim wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 21:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 18:39:
Let's all just remember that SIN actually was a thing once, had a episodic game made, and promised it's buyers that there'd be 9 episodes

Episodes delivered?
Oh yeah, 1 really buggy mess.

What bugs? I bought it at release and enjoyed it.

Obviously the bugs you didn't have....
Stuttering sound
Texture load issue -> crash on level load
Pathing issues -> AI getting stuck, making the end of the episode not completable

Maybe you were really just damned lucky. I wasn't sadly.

Yup, had none of those. What I did have was extreme issues with bullet-sponge enemies combined with not a lot of ammo. The game was a blast in the beginning (I still loved shooting the fuel tanks and sending rocket guys flying off with one shot), but once the heavy gunners came it became frustrating. You had puny weapons, so it just took too long for them to die on Hard. Combine that with ammo being hard to find... one later level involved a maze of crates or something, and I remember having to run through it because I had low health and absolutely no ammo.

The weapons also exposed the biggest issue of episodes - there was little reason to return when you had just a shotgun and machine gun (from what I recall, perhaps there was one more standard weapon you had.) The fun weapons would come later, but the fun weapons were what were, well, fun, so little reason to replay the part that solely had the dull weapons. And 3 enemy types.

Epistory - Typing Chronicles
Jun 10, 2017, 06:59
Kxmode

Epistory - Typing Chronicles Jun 10, 2017, 06:59
Jun 10, 2017, 06:59
 Kxmode

If you're looking for a new game try this one. Great fun typing adventure.
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Jun 10, 2017, 03:27
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2017, 03:27
Jun 10, 2017, 03:27

Extreme Target Shooting Gone Wrong.

WOW. I can't believe the velocity on that thing. And it only missed by a couple of feet.

I'm reminded of the guy on youtube who was demonstrating how to pull a pistol from a holster and shoot, duel style, and he shot the gun while it was still in the holster, shooting himself in the leg.
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Jun 9, 2017, 21:36
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2017, 21:36
Jun 9, 2017, 21:36

MeanJim wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 21:01:
Let's all just remember that SIN actually was a thing once, had a episodic game made, and promised it's buyers that there'd be 9 episodes

Episodes delivered?

Obviously the bugs you didn't have....
Stuttering sound
Texture load issue -> crash on level load
Pathing issues -> AI getting stuck, making the end of the episode not completable

Maybe you were really just damned lucky. I wasn't sadly.

Jun 9, 2017, 21:01
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2017, 21:01
Jun 9, 2017, 21:01

Episodes delivered?

"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Jun 9, 2017, 18:51
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2017, 18:51
Jun 9, 2017, 18:51

Episodes delivered?
blue posted this today in the ootb above Images: Only one episode... Thanks MeanJim.

Jun 9, 2017, 18:39
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2017, 18:39
Jun 9, 2017, 18:39

Episodes delivered?

Jun 9, 2017, 16:50
PHJF

Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2017, 16:50
Jun 9, 2017, 16:50
 PHJF

Greek is too expensive. I eat Dannon Light & Fit because it's cheap and got way way less sugar than most any flavored yogurt, and it's low cal. Kroger carries this (non yogurt) dairy blended "carbmaster" stuff that has almost no carbs in it, but I just moved away from Kroger zone
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Jun 9, 2017, 15:42
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2017, 15:42
Jun 9, 2017, 15:42

MajorD wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 14:56:
For breakfast a couple times a week, I enjoy FAGE all natural plain Greek yogurt with a little blue agave sweetener, crushed up all natural granola bar, and fresh berries (raspberries, blackberries, and/or blueberries). Healthy, satisfying, and tastes F'ing great!

Fage is the only one I like. Chiboni tastes like chalk, and the major brand greek yogurts taste like the same stuff the rest of the major brands taste like.

Growing up I loved the Yoplait Custard Style banana (which recently came back.) Like, adored the stuff. But about a decade ago, probably closer to 12-14 years (i.e., when I started buying groceries for myself), I tried to be "healthier" and get more yogurt.

Quickly realized something I've seen pointed out elsewhere - damn near every non-fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt tastes the same. Close your eyes and you can't tell if it's Boston Crème or Crème Brule or Key Lime Pie... they all have the same underlying flavor of "chemical" and a bit of something else, something only noticeable if it's citrus.

If I'm going to eat yogurt, I'm going to do Fage with a bit of my own local honey added. But I can't deny a soft spot for banana yogurt, still.

As an aside - Noosa is pretty damn good tasting, particularly the Strawberry Rhubarb.

Jun 9, 2017, 15:19
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2017, 15:19
Jun 9, 2017, 15:19

MajorD wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 14:56:
For breakfast a couple times a week, I enjoy FAGE all natural plain Greek yogurt with a little blue agave sweetener, crushed up all natural granola bar, and fresh berries (raspberries, blackberries, and/or blueberries). Healthy, satisfying, and tastes F'ing great!

if you really want to keep it "healthy" you should cut the agave syrup... its much worse than raw sugar, in fact its about the same thing as high fructose corn syrup

Jun 9, 2017, 14:56
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2017, 14:56
Jun 9, 2017, 14:56

Jun 9, 2017, 13:52
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2017, 13:52
Jun 9, 2017, 13:52

Don't feel bad for returning 90% of a product you're not happy with. Some people shamelessly demand their money back for a bag of chips or whatever after they already ate more than half of it, like it took them that long to figure out they weren't satisfied, lol.

Unless it was really cheap, like under a dollar per "drink" (is this stuff like Go-Gurt for grown-ups or what?), then I'd just be too lazy to bother. More Jerry than Kramer, I guess, just learn the lesson and move on.

Jun 9, 2017, 12:25
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2017, 12:25
Jun 9, 2017, 12:25

Cutter wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 12:18:
Blue wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 10:50:
Cutter wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 10:32:
Or you could just eat a banana with the yogurt. Never buy flavoured crap, it's all just sugar and chemicals. I regularly make smoothies with fruit, spinach, and kefir - which you should be consuming instead anyway. I like Scandinavian yogurt as it's more like a labeneh or cream cheese.

I thought it was clear from my post that the absence of sugar and chemicals was the problem here, not the solution.

No, it isn't. You said "flavored", that means crap. Not even Flavah Flav drinks that stuff. Just because you can't taste it doesn't mean it's not in there.
I'm going to die surrounded by the biggest idiot in the galaxy.
Burrito of Peace

Jun 9, 2017, 12:18
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2017, 12:18
Jun 9, 2017, 12:18

Blue wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 10:50:
Or you could just eat a banana with the yogurt. Never buy flavoured crap, it's all just sugar and chemicals. I regularly make smoothies with fruit, spinach, and kefir - which you should be consuming instead anyway. I like Scandinavian yogurt as it's more like a labeneh or cream cheese.

I thought it was clear from my post that the absence of sugar and chemicals was the problem here, not the solution.

No, it isn't. You said "flavored", that means crap. Not even Flavah Flav drinks that stuff. Just because you can't taste it doesn't mean it's not in there.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate up hill." - Blade

Jun 9, 2017, 11:28
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2017, 11:28
Jun 9, 2017, 11:28

Unflavored Sour Cream beverages have never been popular in this country.

I got a bag of chips once that were half chip/half flavorings. It was pretty disgusting, the only time i think this might be "almost" palatable is if it was cheetos.
I called the fritolay quality control 800 number. The person that answered had a technical name for the issue and they mailed me a couple of coupons for free bags.

Burrito of Peace

Jun 9, 2017, 10:55
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2017, 10:55
Jun 9, 2017, 10:55

I normally just throw stuff like that out because it seems like too much of a hassle to go back to the store considering the cost of the product. I have taken back ice-cream that had obviously melted and then was refrozen; mother fuckers ruined happy time Angry . I support the practice wholeheartedly, in my younger days I had a summer job at a grocery store, so I know the dubious quality of items they reshelve. Pretty much returning stuff helps call them out on their crappy QC.

Jun 9, 2017, 10:50
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2017, 10:50
Jun 9, 2017, 10:50

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Jun 9, 2017, 10:32
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2017, 10:32
Jun 9, 2017, 10:32

"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate up hill." - Blade

Jun 9, 2017, 10:05
PHJF

Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2017, 10:05
Jun 9, 2017, 10:05
 PHJF

I hate yogurt! Even with strawberries.
Steam + PSN: PHJF
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older