Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve

A Facebook timeline post by Jay Pinkerton reveals the writer has left Valve Corporation (thanks Rock, Paper, Shotgun). There is no explanation for the departure, which marks the fourth writer to leave the company over the past 18 months. This exodus began with Marc Laidlaw in January 2016, Erik Wolpaw this past February, and Chet Faliszek just last month. Interestingly, the report of Wolpaw's departure also said Pinkerton was leaving at that time, but this was quickly cleared up as inaccurate (until now).

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 19:47 panbient

Hmmm Jay Pinkerton was one of the original writers to help Cracked.com turn into way more than the paper magazine could ever be (along with David Wong and Jack O'Brien). O'Brien also quit Cracked this week for some kind of super awesome opportunity that had apparently been months in the making.

Seems a bit coincidental that two of those originators just left their cushy jobs at the same time, no?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 18:24 Task

Another one bites the dust.  

MekPak Variants Mod - BattleTech Beta

18. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 16:10 HoSpanky

Frijoles wrote on Jun 7, 2017, 11:23:
On the other hand, they're supposedly making 3 new VR games. Perhaps those new VR games have no story (or it's already done). Valve was the top company I wanted to work for years ago. Not really true anymore, although I don't know who I'd pick these days. Retirement would be nice.

Judging from The Lab, Valve still knows how to make efficient, clever, and most importantly FUN experiences. They just no longer have the motivation, although VR clearly has them excited. Hopefully the loss of so many writers doesn't heavily affect those upcoming games, but I can't see how it wouldn't. The ONLY reason Portal was noteworthy was the omniscient, loveable asshole GlaDOS. Her constant badgering was the sole thing that elevated it from "thrown in short puzzle game" to Legendary. Her appearance in The Lab is short, but incredibly memorable. Valve's focus on VR is immediately understood when she pokes her head in, and you realize for the first time that she's the size of a cargo van. Sure, maybe you kinda got that impression in the Portal games, but even if you've watched someone run through Robot Repair in a video, you aren't prepared for how convincing VR can be.

If anyone is going to make the Killer App for VR, it's Valve. Hopefully they still have a clever writer or two left by then.

17. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 15:46 NetHead

edaciousx wrote on Jun 7, 2017, 13:28:
I kind of gave up on half life. It's a bit insulting to the customers to promise more content half life content and then not release anything, not even an explanation or some kind of a thank you for our patience. Valve wouldn't be what they are today without their original half life customers.

You'd think they would at least have squeezed out Episode 3, since they promised to make it and all that. It would just have had to be decent and it's not like they didn't have somewhere to start and go.

Valve doesn't care about making games anymore, it's about easy money and trying to hide being an insanely profitable corporation.

Their focus seems to be selling other people's work, though insane amounts of profit apparently isn't enough so the obvious next step, selling customers content/hats/mods etc.

Valve has the gaming industry by the balls and are always looking to tighten that grip. Like game mods becoming exclusive to Steam, how the hell could any other distribution system compete. They are deliberately trying to forge a monopoly while loads of customers chant "Gaben" etc.

16. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 15:04 Prez

Maybe the departed writers can all form a new studio and write the final game for the Half-Life series. Then, they can give it to Bioware's Andromeda team so we can have a bug-eyed, badly animated Alyx and a G-Man whose face is tired!!!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 13:59 eRe4s3r

Desalus wrote on Jun 7, 2017, 13:27:
I'm surprised that Valve even had that many writers. It's not like any of their games were heavy on story or dialogue.

Writers also create settings and that's a lot more work than a single character or dialog.

In fact, none of the writers who created the HL1 setting and story still work at Valve with this exit. And you know what else is funny? Everything that HL1 is was formed by these writers, people whose names you probably never even heard.

14. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 13:54 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jun 7, 2017, 13:03:
Frijoles wrote on Jun 7, 2017, 09:22:
Valve is losing a lot of people lately. Bunch to Oculus. Now this. Maybe they're all bored with nothing to do.

How can one get bored getting rich doing nothing? I wish I had that problem.

The fact you don't know how one gets bored (and even motivated to quit) in such a situation is really why you don't have this particular problem

Highly skilled/trained writers want to *create* and *share* (in the sense that they want to share their creations mostly for $$$), they are always in-fact, creating and sourcing to create. When they are employed, anything they do at work isn't theirs and they can't use that as a source for anything they create.

This is also why the good writers are ALL freelancers. You hire them for a THING and then they move on creating for their own projects. If you hire them full-time they will quit pretty quickly as soon as they find themselves restricted by an unguided aimless corporate culture (which Valve clearly has).

13. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 13:28 edaciousx

I kind of gave up on half life. It's a bit insulting to the customers to promise more content half life content and then not release anything, not even an explanation or some kind of a thank you for our patience. Valve wouldn't be what they are today without their original half life customers.  

12. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 13:27 Desalus

I'm surprised that Valve even had that many writers. It's not like any of their games were heavy on story or dialogue.  

11. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 13:08 saluk

El Pit wrote on Jun 7, 2017, 11:42:
VaranDragon wrote on Jun 7, 2017, 09:26:
Thats probably it. Not much a writer can write about when there is nothing in development. Probably got tired of composing another Steam newsletter, or Steam Store promotion....

Who is going to write the backstories to all the HATS now? Oh my god oh my god oh my god...

I think the number of desks rolled to the HATS group was so big that he felt a bit cramped and just had to move on.

Or *gasp* did Gabe approach him to actually write the backstory to a GAME? No, just kidding. We all know Valve is no longer working on games.

Don't forget all of the meaningful content being written for Dota!

10. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 13:03 Cutter

Frijoles wrote on Jun 7, 2017, 09:22:
Valve is losing a lot of people lately. Bunch to Oculus. Now this. Maybe they're all bored with nothing to do.

How can one get bored getting rich doing nothing? I wish I had that problem.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

9. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 12:43 Wash Washburne

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 7, 2017, 09:30:
This can only mean one thing.
All the story and writing for HL2 Ep3 and HL3 is complete, Valve can finally start on the game development portion. Expect an announcement anyday now. heady times

It's a fully intractable feature film directed by JJ Abrams, which will lead viewers into HL3, if you own VR tech you will be able to watch the film and guide the story, via multiple story telling avenues, into what HL3 essentially will become. Jester

8. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 11:42 El Pit

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 7, 2017, 09:26:
Thats probably it. Not much a writer can write about when there is nothing in development. Probably got tired of composing another Steam newsletter, or Steam Store promotion....

Who is going to write the backstories to all the HATS now? Oh my god oh my god oh my god...

I think the number of desks rolled to the HATS group was so big that he felt a bit cramped and just had to move on.

Or *gasp* did Gabe approach him to actually write the backstory to a GAME? No, just kidding. We all know Valve is no longer working on games.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

7. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 11:23 Frijoles

On the other hand, they're supposedly making 3 new VR games. Perhaps those new VR games have no story (or it's already done). Valve was the top company I wanted to work for years ago. Not really true anymore, although I don't know who I'd pick these days. Retirement would be nice.  

6. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 11:05 Nut

Valve is an R&D company at least as much as they are a game (and distribution platform) development studio.  

5. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 11:02 NKD

Valve has no interest in making games that have stories, and very little interest in making games in general, so it makes sense that writers would get bored and leave.  

You are being watched.

4. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 10:42 Kajetan

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 7, 2017, 09:30:
All the story and writing for HL2 Ep3 and HL3 is complete, Valve can finally start on the game development portion. Expect an announcement anyday now. heady times
Strange ... this does not get old

3. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 09:30 RedEye9

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

2. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 09:26 VaranDragon

1. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 09:22 Frijoles

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo