Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Here's one takeaway from having contractors working in your house. It's not going to be a good experience if you are sensitive to noise. Even more noticeable, you are also going to be unhappy if you have a sensitivity to body spray. You'd swear these guys are sponsored by Axe.

R.I.P.: Jean Sammet, Co-Designer of COBOL, Dies at 89.

Scented Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: There Is No Game.
Stories: Man mowing lawn near tornado "was keeping an eye on it."
'Wonder Woman' has biggest opening ever for a female director.
Science: NASA reports LIGO detects Third Gravitational Wave.
Media: Best Response Ever to a Heckle.
Ukrainians attempt resonance cascade with water bottle. Thanks Hypothermia.
Cool guys don't look back at the lightning.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Risg Jun 6, 2017, 12:46 Rhialto

wow what a story! Thanks for sharing. There are less of those around here and when we have a good one I often like to sit on the balcony to watch and hear. I'm usually not afraid and feel safe there with how it is set up.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Wonder Woman Jun 6, 2017, 11:22 Dacote

I align with the metacritic score which is substantially lower than rottentomatoes.
Don't get me wrong, WW is not a bad movie, it just never drew me in. The boss fights were good, unlike GotG v.2 never-ending battles. The rare attempts at humor were just that, rare. Gal Gadot is a goddess and a fine actress. Chris Pine haters will be overjoyed with the outcome.

As for Bat v Sup, the 44 meta score was way overrated where as the 27 it got at rotntom was just about right. I even watched the miserable directors cut to see if it improved anything, it didn't.

20. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 6, 2017, 10:11 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 6, 2017, 08:56:
Rigs wrote on Jun 5, 2017, 23:40:
I was struck on June 17th, 1998...
Wow. Quite the story, Rigs. You said you "learned to deal with" it. How often would you say your anxiety shows itself during storms these days?

It really depends on how close the lightning is hitting. Especially those first craaack!'s you get out of nowhere can make me jump out of my chair. Like what I said before, it can start storming down here at any time during the summer. Even if you're watching the radar, it might not show the storm yet even though it's already producing a ton of lightning. When it's hitting that close, I do start to get that feeling that I'm not safe, that something is out to get me. It's very hard to control it, especially without medication, which I refuse to take. Like a panic attack, I just have to tell myself that I'm ok, it will pass. And it usually does.

=-Rigs-=

19. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 6, 2017, 08:56 Mr. Tact

Rigs wrote on Jun 5, 2017, 23:40:
I was struck on June 17th, 1998...
Wow. Quite the story, Rigs. You said you "learned to deal with" it. How often would you say your anxiety shows itself during storms these days?

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2017, 00:47 Bundy

That tornado happened pretty close to my house. Although, I don't know that guy he is connected to someone on my facebook list. Small world.  

17. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 5, 2017, 23:40 Rigs

Rhialto wrote on Jun 5, 2017, 12:10:
I've sent the lightning link... pretty amazing, isn't? Man I would have freaked out, I wonder how many decibels it would read? Even if there is more chance to be hit by a lightning than winning at the lotto, I don't know anyone around me who got that close to a strike.

Happened to anyone around you?

I was struck on June 17th, 1998..well, not directly, but it was enough to put me in the hospital for three days and it left some psychological scars. Living in FL, when there could be a lightning strike, literally, any minute from April/May until October, you have to constantly keep it in the back of your mind when you're outside. Even if you don't see a storm near you, those puffy white clouds could just start building and that first strike could be around you.

Thing was, I wasn't outside when I got hit. I was in my house, getting dinner in the kitchen. It was thundering but nothing too bad, I was barefoot in the kitchen with a plate and fork in my hand and then, all of sudden, I was waking up feeling like I'd been gone a long time. Really weird feeling, honestly. The lights were out, I never heard the boom, though family around me, my fiance`, my father and my 8 month old daughter, did. So I was out at least four seconds. I didn't know where I was, when it was...I flipped. the. fuck. out. I started screaming and I couldn't calm down for over 20 mins. I was shaking, crying, screaming. I didn't even really know why, just that I couldn't stop...My fiance` was trying in vain to calm me down but it was impossible. I couldn't. Like the worst panic attack ever long before I started having them. I wasn't injured, physically. Just mentally, though my right arm was tingling. I was over-anxious and couldn't calm down.

I had to get out of the house. I didn't feel safe. We went to Wal-Mart down the street. You might laugh but I wanted to be somewhere I knew I couldn't get hit because it was still thundering and there was still some lightning and every time I heard it, it threatened to start me going again. We got there and I sat in the food court (when they had them) and I was just in a daze for like two hours. I didn't say anything. My fiance` was afraid to say anything or do anything except to ask if I was ok. I tried to reassure her I was, I felt bad for screaming at her earlier when I had no control. My best friend came and sat with us. She thought we'd been kidding around but when she got there she knew right away something was definitely wrong. Finally, it was decided I should go to the ER and they admitted me when they couldn't bring down my heart rate from ~200bpm steady. I was scared out of my mind of something I felt could get me from anywhere I went.

They kept me sedated for three days because we had storms every day (it was summer, typical stuff) and kept my blinds and curtains closed. If my heart rate went too far up, they'd sedate me again and those three days are a blur...thankfully. I spent three months getting evaluated and going through counseling. I was diagnosed with a rare form of PTSD, 'shock anxiety'. Basically shell shock. 'Least that's what they told me it was. I wasn't ever really the same after, I had a lot more anxiety than I'd had before, I would get under the table or the bed during a storm until I taught myself to control it. I felt vulnerable constantly. It was there even during the winter because we do get storms in the winter down here. After a while I thought I'd buried it and moved on until some bad years, 2006-2010, with my divorce, the deaths of my sister and my father brought it all up and I started having massive panic attacks. That, too, I learned to deal with.

The funny thing is, if you can call anything that happened that night 'funny', the lightning struck a tree outside our house that had once had a DirectTV dish hooked to it. (We only found this out after, during the inspection) The dish was gone but the coax cable line was still there and it ran into the house, into the master bedroom closet, which was on the same wall as the living room closet. It traveled inside, started a fire in the closet (my dad had to put it out when we all saw smoke pouring out...well, they did, I was busy falling apart) and then spread out through the floor, a steel-reinforced concrete floor - where I stood in the kitchen in bare feet. That's the explanation we were given during the final inspection for the insurance about a month later. My daughter, amazingly, was in her highchair, a metal highchair but with rubber stoppers on the bottom of the legs, in the dining room, which was part of the kitchen and she wasn't fazed one bit by the noise or the aftermath. She just kept eating. I can thank God for that one thing, at least...

=-Rigs-=

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2017, 23:12 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jun 5, 2017, 20:55:
Dacote wrote on Jun 5, 2017, 17:19:
If I had any doubts about seeing it your spoiler free impression just erased em.

Yeah, nice write up, 1bad. It's interesting that you could tell that BMvSM was just terrible from the trailers, but this looked good from the trailers, and that seems to be bearing itself out.
BM vs SM wasn't terrible. It was actually pretty good. It's just not what most people expected or wanted. Time will bear this out.

Loki: I can spot a commandment breaker from a mile away, bet on it.

Bartleby: This coming from the guy who still owes me ten bucks over which would be the bigger movie: E.T. or Krush Groove?"

Loki: Hey you know what, fuck you man, because time will tell on that one.

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2017, 23:40.

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral. Why? Because anger looks to the good of justice. And if you can live amid injustice without anger, you are immoral as well as unjust" - Thomas Aquinas

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2017, 23:08 Mr. Tact

Social policy check: Would I be correct in assuming it is just me being a "Get off my lawn" curmudgeon, or do other people think it is not appropriate for a journalist appearing on national television to be wearing a nose piercing? I mean, really? I'm supposed to take you seriously?

-- heading back to my cave.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2017, 22:15 Koshmar

Just an FYI but the Kreosan guys are Ukrainians from an area that is currently contested by pro-russian forces. I'm sure they wouldn't want to be mistaken for Russians  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2017, 20:55 jdreyer

Dacote wrote on Jun 5, 2017, 17:19:
If I had any doubts about seeing it your spoiler free impression just erased em.
Yeah, nice write up, 1bad. It's interesting that you could tell that BMvSM was just terrible from the trailers, but this looked good from the trailers, and that seems to be bearing itself out.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2017, 18:21 Agent-Zero

1badmf wrote on Jun 5, 2017, 16:57:
one thing that's always bothered me about female action heroes is that most of the time you can tell they're faking it because the actress is not a good athlete. whether it was scarjo as black widow or all the way back to linda carter as WW, just from the way they run, there's no power behind it - they run like girls, they punch like girls, etc.

thats what makes Kill Bill unwatchable for me... never understood why Tarantino would do that... why not get somebody like Michelle Yeoh or Connie Chan.. hell even Cynthia Rothrock would have been better

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2017, 17:19 Dacote

spoiler free wonder woman impressions:

watch it if you can. i don't know if i'm just succumbing to gender stereotypes, but it's made with an emotional sensitivity that every other comic film has utterly ignored. it earns its emotional payoffs - by the time they hit you, they matter because you're emotionally invested in the characters, because you felt the things they felt along the way.

gal gadot is impressive as diana. her physicality is utterly authentic - you believe she is the most powerful person on the screen. one thing that's always bothered me about female action heroes is that most of the time you can tell they're faking it because the actress is not a good athlete. whether it was scarjo as black widow or all the way back to linda carter as WW, just from the way they run, there's no power behind it - they run like girls, they punch like girls, etc. not so with gal. maybe it was from her time in the IDF, but she fights like someone who's trained to fight all her life. and oh by the way, she looks like a goddess on screen, too tall, too beautiful to be human.

the action scenes were every bit as good as, say, winter soldier, and the final battle was incredible. best one i've seen in a long time. go see it guys. if you enjoy the theater experience, this is one of the top reasons to go. maybe even take someone on a date, but that might backfire cuz she might go overboard with the girlpower thing and full on lezz out on you XD

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2017, 17:13 Cutter

this is one of the top reasons to go. maybe even take someone on a date, but that might backfire cuz she might go overboard with the girlpower thing and full on lezz out on you XD

You say that like it's bad thing. So long as you can at least spectate it's all good. Biker

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral. Why? Because anger looks to the good of justice. And if you can live amid injustice without anger, you are immoral as well as unjust" - Thomas Aquinas

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2017, 17:01 Simon Says

"Resonance cascade" That half life reference xD  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2017, 16:57 1badmf

spoiler free wonder woman impressions:

watch it if you can. i don't know if i'm just succumbing to gender stereotypes, but it's made with an emotional sensitivity that every other comic film has utterly ignored. it earns its emotional payoffs - by the time they hit you, they matter because you're emotionally invested in the characters, because you felt the things they felt along the way.

gal gadot is impressive as diana. her physicality is utterly authentic - you believe she is the most powerful person on the screen. one thing that's always bothered me about female action heroes is that most of the time you can tell they're faking it because the actress is not a good athlete. whether it was scarjo as black widow or all the way back to linda carter as WW, just from the way they run, there's no power behind it - they run like girls, they punch like girls, etc. not so with gal. maybe it was from her time in the IDF, but she fights like someone who's trained to fight all her life. and oh by the way, she looks like a goddess on screen, too tall, too beautiful to be human.

the action scenes were every bit as good as, say, winter soldier, and the final battle was incredible. best one i've seen in a long time. go see it guys. if you enjoy the theater experience, this is one of the top reasons to go. maybe even take someone on a date, but that might backfire cuz she might go overboard with the girlpower thing and full on lezz out on you XD

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2017, 14:38 Mr. Tact

Man mowing lawn near tornado "was keeping an eye on it."
It isn't nearly as insane as it appears. Having lived in tornado alley for multiple years I can safely say if I had been him, I also would have continued to mow.
R.I.P.: Jean Sammet, Co-Designer of COBOL, Dies at 89.
I always thought COBOL got a bad rap. It isn't nearly as bad as many would have you believe. Would I want to right a compiler using COBOL? No. But for general business software, which it was designed for, it was well designed.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2017, 13:58 jdreyer

Rhialto wrote on Jun 5, 2017, 12:10:
I've sent the lightning link... pretty amazing, isn't? Man I would have freaked out, I wonder how many decibels it would read? Even if there is more chance to be hit by a lightning than winning at the lotto, I don't know anyone around me who got that close to a strike.

Pretty sure that was a code brown right there. Guy's lucky he didn't get struck.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2017, 12:38 Cutter

Arborist was here today to cut down 4 trees in preparation for the new fence. Note to self: When cutting trees down do it before they bud leaves.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2017, 12:10 Rhialto

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2017, 12:46.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2017, 11:57 jacobvandy

Yup, they're definitely overcompensating, but it's better than the alternative.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo