Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

Went out on the town with my buddies last night. We get together like this a few times a year, and it's always something I look forward to. This has me wondering to what degree I will be able to continue the practice after we move. We're going to be a few hours from Manhattan, and the mass transit options are limited. This has the potential to be an unsolvable problem, but I don't like that, so I'm continuing to try and scheme up a way to make it work.

Scheming Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Druid Defense.
Science: Why do dogs tilt their heads?
Media: StarCrafts Season 5 Ep 19 Lurking About.
7 Ways to Maximize Misery :(.
Bully a dog, instant karma.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2017, 10:07 Mr. Tact

Blue wrote on Jun 6, 2017, 10:05:
...he's offered to let me crash at his place. But I'm far closer to the other three friends, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable imposing like that on them, much less him...
Yep. Been there, done that -- both sides.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2017, 10:05  Blue 

jdreyer wrote on Jun 5, 2017, 14:04:
Blue wrote on Jun 5, 2017, 09:28:
Retired wrote on Jun 4, 2017, 11:09:
Its called a hotel.

That may be how this has to work. And of course Manhattan hotel prices are quite reasonable.

Crash on someone's sofa?

One of the buddies out of this group of five (counting me) remains single at our advancing age (and is our hero by remaining amazingly studly), and he's offered to let me crash at his place. But I'm far closer to the other three friends, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable imposing like that on them, much less him.

That's not to say I'm ruling it out, but it does make me feel awkward just thinking about it.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2017, 14:04 jdreyer

Blue wrote on Jun 5, 2017, 09:28:
Its called a hotel.

That may be how this has to work. And of course Manhattan hotel prices are quite reasonable.

Crash on someone's sofa?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2017, 09:28  Blue 

Its called a hotel.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2017, 20:33 Agent-Zero

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 4, 2017, 00:52:
"Why do dogs tilt their heads?"
"Because they fucking can."

End of story. Turn out the lights. We're done here.

you really enjoy being stupid as shit dont you

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2017, 11:09 Retired

Its called a hotel.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2017, 02:01 1badmf

MeanJim wrote on Jun 4, 2017, 00:43:
DG wrote on Jun 3, 2017, 18:09:
Hmm, pretty sure I'd read something science-y that dogs can tilt their heads to more precisely locate the origin of a sound.

That's what I thought too.

i think the two things are related - they get curious about a sound so they tilt their heads to more precisely fix its location.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2017, 00:52 Burrito of Peace

"Why do dogs tilt their heads?"
"Because they fucking can."

End of story. Turn out the lights. We're done here.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2017, 00:43 MeanJim

DG wrote on Jun 3, 2017, 18:09:
Hmm, pretty sure I'd read something science-y that dogs can tilt their heads to more precisely locate the origin of a sound.

That's what I thought too.

MeanJim on Steam

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2017, 20:40 Dacote

It's patriotic to eat French fries again.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2017, 18:09 DG

Hmm, pretty sure I'd read something science-y that dogs can tilt their heads to more precisely locate the origin of a sound. A physical explanation broadly similar to triangulating on the vertical axis. Though, they then went on to say that didn't exclude the possibility that dogs formed a habit out of it when curious about certain things. So who knows, maybe they've taken it a step further and have formed it into their body language. It all seems like conjecture.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2017, 17:10 Cutter

Si I'm one of those people that feed the chipmunks and squirrels in their backyard - mostly the former, but a few of the latter. Anyway, I'm out doing work to prepare for the new fence I'm building when what do I see under one of the plants but a sick little chipmunk. He was clearly an adolescent, I think it was actually one of the kids of my favorite chipmunk as she had 2 just a while back. Anyway, poor little guy was stumbling and rolling around. He didn't have any visible signs of trauma so it may have been something he ate. So I scooped him up and put him in a shoebox with some bedding and took him to one of the local wildlife refuges. So they'll see if they can help him. Hats off to the good people who work at wildlife refuges.

It was cute when I got there as well. A lady was coming out with her three small children, as they had brought in bunny with a broken leg they found in their backyard. So I showed the little girls the chipmunk and they almost started crying, which of course makes everyone else almost start crying. Heh. So in spite of his illness or injury he was a pretty lucky little fella as I'm usually not back there working. If I hadn't been I don't think it would have boded well for him. Fingers crossed, here's hoping he makes it.

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat."

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2017, 14:51 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 3, 2017, 13:06:
Tesla w/autopilot. Problem solved.
Don't forget a comfy pillow, blanket and a couple for the road so when you curl up in the back seat you can get some quality zzz's.
Well except for that whole decapitation thing.

Was hoping for more video time showing dogs tilting their heads.

Your wish has been granted.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2017, 13:06 RedEye9

Tesla w/autopilot. Problem solved.
Don't forget a comfy pillow, blanket and a couple for the road so when you curl up in the back seat you can get some quality zzz's.

Can the scishow dude still talk if you restrain his hands? Was hoping for more video time showing dogs tilting their heads.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2017, 12:53 Agent-Zero

i always intuitively assumed dog tilting their head was trying to hear you better and/or also to express confusion... like "what the?"

sadly the "scientists" dont bother considering the latter possibility... primarily because they are fucking idiots locked into the woefully reductionist framework of psuedo-darwinian materialist dogma

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo