Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 3, 2017, 12:22 ForgedReality

Ublock Origin.

You're welcome.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 3, 2017, 08:00 Bub

Now that Korporate and Robber Barons can do what they wish with no more regulation, it is a race to see who can erect barriers and put up toll booths the fastest on any thing that was once a commons.

You don't think the chocolate factory would turn down a substantial "investment" from a flush advertiser who would like its adds to get preferential treatment, naw, no example of that kind of shenanigans in our history.

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 2, 2017, 23:28 KilrathiAce

Now only if we could do this for broadcast TV, then watching tv would be again something I may care about.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 2, 2017, 20:51 MeanJim

MacLeod wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 19:00:
Now they just need to do this on mobile... because I can't tell you how many sites I've just given up visiting on my phone because they're impossible to browse with either slow loading ads that pop up over everything and no way to close for an extended length of time. Or my real favorite... the ones that just redirect to a site that you can't go back from to get to the original article you were trying to read. Like WTF point is having ads on your site if they literally redirect people off the site with no way to go back.

Firefox mobile + uBlock Origin will solve that.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 2, 2017, 19:00 MacLeod

Now they just need to do this on mobile... because I can't tell you how many sites I've just given up visiting on my phone because they're impossible to browse with either slow loading ads that pop up over everything and no way to close for an extended length of time. Or my real favorite... the ones that just redirect to a site that you can't go back from to get to the original article you were trying to read. Like WTF point is having ads on your site if they literally redirect people off the site with no way to go back.  

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 2, 2017, 16:36 Spektr

Of course the web's number one advertiser is going to take care of removing ads. Might as well hire a fox to watch the hens... I wonder if that super adblocker will stop youtube ads....  

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 2, 2017, 13:41 NetHead

Cutter wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 12:21:
I'd be happy to whitelist sites if there was a voluntary ad certification that content providers could join. So long as they're small and static I wouldn't have a problem with that. So long as that's not the case they're going to stay blocked. Another adblocker isn't required, a new advertising standard is.

If you allow third party sites, ad-providers/servers, to run scripts you may as well be browsing the arse end of dodgy with your firewall down and your rear lubed up.

They are irresistible vectors for attacking a large target base. It doesn't matter if it's your own site, your mother's site, or Blue's.

You want ads on your site that people won't block? Host their content on that/your site as nothing more than reasonable static images. Ad blockers won't detect them and users won't manually block them (wouldn't be worth the effort if they aren't obtrusive).

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 2, 2017, 12:21 Cutter

I'd be happy to whitelist sites if there was a voluntary ad certification that content providers could join. So long as they're small and static I wouldn't have a problem with that. So long as that's not the case they're going to stay blocked. Another adblocker isn't required, a new advertising standard is.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo