DCS: F/A-18C Hornet Announced

Eagle Dynamics announces DCS: F/A-18C Hornet, saying the latest addition to Digital Combat Simulator World will be unveiled to the public next month in the Thrustmaster booth at E3. Here's what they have to say about this for now:
Eagle Dynamics SA and Belsimtek are excited to announce that DCS: F/A-18C Hornet will have its debut showing at E3 2017 at the Thrustmaster® booth. DCS: F/A-18C will be by far the most authentic PC simulation of a modern fighter to date, and it will use unique CFD engine and aerodynamics developed by Belsimtek. Based on exhaustive research in association with Boeing, current fighter pilots and the development of our new simulation engine, the DCS: F/A-18C Hornet will set a new benchmark.

Eagle Dynamics SA senior producer, Matt Wagner, states, “We are happy to announce the cooperation between Eagle Dynamics SA and Thrustmaster® to create the ultimate F/A-18C Hornet simulation experience”. “After the success of our first collaboration with Eagle Dynamic SA on DCS: A-10C Warthog, that lead to the HOTAS Warthog, we are proud to start a new collaboration on the DCS: F/A-18C Hornet”, says Gilles Raulet, Thrustmaster Development Director.

Please stop by the Thrustmaster® booth South Hall #2813 and experience the next level of combat aviation simulation!
View : : :
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: DCS: F/A-18C Hornet Announced
May 31, 2017, 23:49
Re: DCS: F/A-18C Hornet Announced May 31, 2017, 23:49
May 31, 2017, 23:49

@ SMA. Yeah thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Re: Out of the Blue
May 31, 2017, 23:34
Rigs

Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2017, 23:34
May 31, 2017, 23:34
 Rigs

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on May 31, 2017, 18:28:
snipped for sanity

I hereby give to you my 'Wall of Text'-seal of approval! Congratulations, sir! Awesome post!

=-Rigs-=
'Sorry, we thought you were dead.'
'I was. I'm better now.'

Re: Morning Mobilization
May 31, 2017, 18:28
Re: Morning Mobilization May 31, 2017, 18:28
May 31, 2017, 18:28

jdreyer wrote on May 31, 2017, 15:49:
Being classified seems an odd excuse.

1. Janes did an apache sim 20 years ago.

2. DCS did the Ka-50 Black Shark, which was developed around the same time as the Apache.

3. DCS also did the A-10C which was an upgrade done in 2011, very recently. Certainly everything for that upgrade remains classified.

It seems like you could make some educated guesses and come out with a decent sim.

1. Even the most detailed Jane's Sim (coincidentally to this thread, the F/A-18E Super Hornet) was about an order of magnitude less detailed than the DCS line of simulations; the AH-64D Longbow sim was about two to three orders of magnitude less detailed. That's not to say the Jane's Sims were not simulations, just that they had different goals and aimed for different levels of detail.

2. The Ka-50 is no longer in active production, nor is it really in active service (there are 10 of them in the Russian Army), having been superseded by the alternate Ka-52 design, and the Russian Army preferring the competing Mi-28 for procurement, overall. While the helicopter itself is a pretty unique feat of engineering, its avionics and weapons systems are all standard Russian equipment, e.g. the cannon is the same as is used on a BMP-2, the Shkval optical targeting system and the Vihkr AGTMs appear in almost all other Russian attack helicopters and attack planes.

Also, Eagle Dynamics has a working relationship with the Kamov Design Bureau, doing contract simulation work for them and the Russian military, allowing them access to the kind of data that allows them to make a simulation realistic, yet still operate at a level of abstraction such that actual system details are not revealed in commercial products. For example, the capabilities and interface of the ABRIS moving map system is well documented and declassified, and so it is fully and realistically usable in DCS: Black Shark, but DCS Black Shark does not actually have virtualized versions of the ABRIS computers running in the DCS executable; instead, the actual ABRIS computer is abstracted away, and the same goes for other things like engine modeling and weapons system modeling.

3. There are some aspects of the A-10C which are still classified. However, much as Eagle Dynamics does contract work for the Russian military, they also do it for the US Air Force. In this case, DCS A-10C was originally made under contract for the US Air National Guard as a "desktop training simulator" for ANG A-10A pilots making the conversion to the A-10C. As part of the contract, ED retained rights to release a commercial version at a later date, with all classified components abstracted or removed. In other words, DCS A-10C was the result of having access to the classified data necessary to make the simulation realistic and detailed. Nevertheless, the classified A-10C systems represent a very small proportion of the end simulation; according to ED, DCS A-10C has > 95% commonality with what they delivered to the Air National Guard.

Depending on the aircraft, you could probably make sufficient educated guesses to make a simulation of a classified aircraft. In the case of the F-22, you would be making almost entirely educated guesses: you wouldn't be simulating the F-22, you would be simulating a hypothetical aircraft that may or may not be what the F-22 is actually like. ED has made pretty clear from the beginning that they'll only be doing DCS branded modules on aircraft for which there is sufficient data to provide realistic and accurate simulations, and in the case of the F-22, the F-35, or other highly classified aircraft, they simply don't have access to the data.

You'll note that the great bulk of DCS modules released to date are from second (~Korea) and third (~Vietnam era) generation aircraft, with just a handful of fourth generation (e.g. the A-10C) aircraft. This is not coincidental.

May 31, 2017, 15:49
Re: DCS: F/A-18C Hornet Announced May 31, 2017, 15:49
May 31, 2017, 15:49

VaranDragon wrote on May 31, 2017, 07:05:
jdreyer wrote on May 31, 2017, 02:43:
bigspender wrote on May 31, 2017, 02:11:
awww yeah!

Now they just need a cobra helicopter and I'll be complete :-D

Cobra? Not Apache?

The Apache is still very much classified. It (like the F22 from CJ's example) can't be simulated at a satisfactory DCS level, due to many systems being classified and documentation on aerodynamics and system modeling of the airframes being unavailable or classified.

The AH-1 Cobra is in development by Belsimtek, however the Hind is probably coming first.

Being classified seems an odd excuse.

1. Janes did an apache sim 20 years ago.

2. DCS did the Ka-50 Black Shark, which was developed around the same time as the Apache.

3. DCS also did the A-10C which was an upgrade done in 2011, very recently. Certainly everything for that upgrade remains classified.

It seems like you could make some educated guesses and come out with a decent sim.

May 31, 2017, 07:05
Re: DCS: F/A-18C Hornet Announced May 31, 2017, 07:05
May 31, 2017, 07:05

jdreyer wrote on May 31, 2017, 02:43:
awww yeah!

Cobra? Not Apache?

The Apache is still very much classified. It (like the F22 from CJ's example) can't be simulated at a satisfactory DCS level, due to many systems being classified and documentation on aerodynamics and system modeling of the airframes being unavailable or classified.

The AH-1 Cobra is in development by Belsimtek, however the Hind is probably coming first.

May 31, 2017, 06:58
Re: DCS: F/A-18C Hornet Announced May 31, 2017, 06:58
May 31, 2017, 06:58

CJ_Parker wrote on May 30, 2017, 21:56:
Well, 'tis about time. The first time I heard about a F-18 being added to DCS "soon" must have been five years ago or something like that .

Still the biggest problem of this sim IMO... the gawddang snail's pace. They (or the respective 3rd parties) really need to crank out the most prevalent fan favorite modern jets and classic planes more quickly while also working on a realistic dynamic campaign theater with awesome AI that will keep players busy for a long time ( = make a modern version of F-22 TAW).
Maybe they should finally focus on one era, too, and decide whether they first want to "finish" the WW2 setting or the modern era. More focus = faster results (hopefully).

The snail's pace of development is because its pretty fucking hard to code professional flight models and advanced systems modeling that mimic the real thing down to the tiniest detail. That and the fact that these devs are practically starved for cash always. It's such a niche that they are forced to improvise along the way to prevent themselves from going under. For example the Great Merge that was supposed to happen last year was pushed back to get the WWII Normandy Map and Asset Pack out the door. Crucial DLC that will allow them to stay afloat a bit longer. The Hornet is basically DCS's worst kept secret. It's been in development hell for about 5 years at least. Though it's been started and stopped many times along the way Im sure. I think they might actually release it this year. Though I'm nowhere near as excited for the Hornet as I am for Heatblur's F14 Module that's also coming this year. In the meantime Im flying the WWII stuff.

I actually like the direction they are going, though I too get frustrated with the speed of development. However they need to eat along the way, which is why the focus on improving the "core" is usually last on the list. Still if 2.5 comes this year, then the pace can finally pick up, and we will get improved explosion effects, improved weather, improved ATC, all things that have been planned ages ago, but can't be implemented due to the codebase being split into three branches.

May 31, 2017, 02:43
Re: DCS: F/A-18C Hornet Announced May 31, 2017, 02:43
May 31, 2017, 02:43

awww yeah!

Cobra? Not Apache?

May 31, 2017, 02:11
Re: DCS: F/A-18C Hornet Announced May 31, 2017, 02:11
May 31, 2017, 02:11

awww yeah!

May 30, 2017, 21:56
Re: DCS: F/A-18C Hornet Announced May 30, 2017, 21:56
May 30, 2017, 21:56

Well, 'tis about time. The first time I heard about a F-18 being added to DCS "soon" must have been five years ago or something like that .

Still the biggest problem of this sim IMO... the gawddang snail's pace. They (or the respective 3rd parties) really need to crank out the most prevalent fan favorite modern jets and classic planes more quickly while also working on a realistic dynamic campaign theater with awesome AI that will keep players busy for a long time ( = make a modern version of F-22 TAW).
Maybe they should finally focus on one era, too, and decide whether they first want to "finish" the WW2 setting or the modern era. More focus = faster results (hopefully).
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older