Out of the Blue

It's very nice around here today, hope it's the same by you. The weatherman says this will be the best day of the weekend, so I think I'll go hunting (at the store) for something to throw on the grill. Time to unfurl the Manstovia flag and sing the anthem.

R.I.P.: Former U.S. national security adviser Brzezinski dies at 89.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Shoot N Scroll 3D.
Science: Our galaxy produces 9 trillion kilograms of antimatter a second—how?
Media: There’s a Strontium Dog fan film, and it’s very good. Thanks Neutronbeam.
French Crosswalk PSA.
Angry pedestrian gets instant karma. "Gonna knock you right on the head."
Follow-up: Viral video of girl snatched by sea lion raises “seal finger” awareness.
View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Morning Mobilization
May 28, 2017, 15:26
Re: Morning Mobilization May 28, 2017, 15:26
May 28, 2017, 15:26

Beamer wrote on May 28, 2017, 12:41:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on May 27, 2017, 20:14:
Personally, I think this is a solution that is more likely to prevent jaywalking: https://youtu.be/SB_0vRnkeOk

Plus, it's more fun.

When I moved to Manhattan earlier this year, it was a bit of culture shock that A) New Yorkers walk so damn fast, at least during the work week, and B) no one pays attention to pedestrian stop lights: if it's clear, you go. Trying to tell everyone their daily behavior is wrong is a difficult sell; incentivizing different, safer behavior, is probably easier. The trick with this idea would be finding a way to keep it novel, so that people continue to be entertained while waiting for the green light, even when they see it everyday.

And here I was, thinking I liked you.

Slow moving people are death.
Worse, people that don't cross when it's clear. Moving to Seattle was a culture shock for me. In Cincinnati, it bothered me, but the downtown was typically so empty it never really hit me. In Seattle, I remember one of my first days there, crossing a street with no cars in either direction, then looking back and seeing the people standing on the corner utterly shocked at how brazenly I ignored the walk sign.

In Cincinnati, though, it bothered me as a driver. Every day, on my way to work, I'd need to make a right onto a road. There'd be no cars as far as the eye can see, yet pedestrians would wait until they got the walk sign, then slowly walk. Cars would wait for them to clear, and about two cars would get to turn per light. I'd sit there some days 5 to 10 minutes, knowing the car in front can't turn on red without risking a ticket, but those pedestrians can walk because there were no cars anywhere in sight. Their unwillingness to walk was costing me quite a bit of time.

Then, of course, in Seattle, a friend of mine got a jaywalking ticket, so maybe some cops do weirdly care.

What bugs me more in NYC is the stupid cabbies that endlessly honk when the light is green, as if the person not moving is doing it because they're lazy and not because there's no way for them to make a turn without running over pedestrians who have the walk sign.

We have nice weather here year round, so lots of pedestrians. Pedestrian deaths are among the highest cause of accidental deaths in our medium sized city with dozens per year, so the police run campaigns to tamp down on both speeding and jaywalking. Funny law here: if a pedestrian enters the crosswalk while it's counting down (i.e. not green) they'll ticket you for that. The reason is as Beamer says: they want the crosswalk to clear so cars have some time to turn right before the light goes red.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

May 28, 2017, 13:20
Re: Morning Mobilization May 28, 2017, 13:20
May 28, 2017, 13:20

Beamer wrote on May 28, 2017, 12:41:
Personally, I think this is a solution that is more likely to prevent jaywalking: https://youtu.be/SB_0vRnkeOk

Plus, it's more fun.

When I moved to Manhattan earlier this year, it was a bit of culture shock that A) New Yorkers walk so damn fast, at least during the work week, and B) no one pays attention to pedestrian stop lights: if it's clear, you go. Trying to tell everyone their daily behavior is wrong is a difficult sell; incentivizing different, safer behavior, is probably easier. The trick with this idea would be finding a way to keep it novel, so that people continue to be entertained while waiting for the green light, even when they see it everyday.

Worse, people that don't cross when it's clear. Moving to Seattle was a culture shock for me. In Cincinnati, it bothered me, but the downtown was typically so empty it never really hit me. In Seattle, I remember one of my first days there, crossing a street with no cars in either direction, then looking back and seeing the people standing on the corner utterly shocked at how brazenly I ignored the walk sign.

In Cincinnati, though, it bothered me as a driver. Every day, on my way to work, I'd need to make a right onto a road. There'd be no cars as far as the eye can see, yet pedestrians would wait until they got the walk sign, then slowly walk. Cars would wait for them to clear, and about two cars would get to turn per light. I'd sit there some days 5 to 10 minutes, knowing the car in front can't turn on red without risking a ticket, but those pedestrians can walk because there were no cars anywhere in sight. Their unwillingness to walk was costing me quite a bit of time.

Then, of course, in Seattle, a friend of mine got a jaywalking ticket, so maybe some cops do weirdly care.

What bugs me more in NYC is the stupid cabbies that endlessly honk when the light is green, as if the person not moving is doing it because they're lazy and not because there's no way for them to make a turn without running over pedestrians who have the walk sign.
I would have bet that NYC would have made the top 20. https://www.wired.com/2014/05/most-dangerous-pedestrian-cities/ But NYC falls into the 10 safest cities for pedestrians https://www.curbed.com/2017/1/10/14222026/walking-pedestrian-deaths-street-design-florida
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

May 28, 2017, 12:41
Beamer

Re: Morning Mobilization May 28, 2017, 12:41
May 28, 2017, 12:41
 Beamer

Plus, it's more fun.

Re: Out of the Blue
May 28, 2017, 10:28
Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2017, 10:28
May 28, 2017, 10:28

no its not nice.. supposed to hit around 100F today...

May 28, 2017, 10:22
Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2017, 10:22
May 28, 2017, 10:22

Pankin wrote on May 27, 2017, 22:58:
For my money, Sealfinger was the very best Bond flick. And the song!
Seals are not to be messed with! A Lucille takes Buster's hand

May 28, 2017, 06:04
Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2017, 06:04
May 28, 2017, 06:04

Gregg Allman died, he was 69. Guess they finally caught the Midnight Rider...

May 28, 2017, 00:33
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2017, 00:33
May 28, 2017, 00:33
 Kxmode

Pankin wrote on May 27, 2017, 22:58:

Sealfinger? What a horrible Bond movie. I think Spy Hard is better. The opening sequence is the best.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

May 28, 2017, 00:30
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2017, 00:30
May 28, 2017, 00:30
 Kxmode

Blue, is your weatherman named Phil and did he warn about all the moisture from the Gulf pushing off to the east in Altoona?
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

May 27, 2017, 22:58
Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2017, 22:58
May 27, 2017, 22:58

May 27, 2017, 21:01
Prez

Re: Morning Mobilization May 27, 2017, 21:01
May 27, 2017, 21:01
 Prez

Mr. Tact wrote on May 27, 2017, 20:21:

Plus, it's more fun.
Ha! Video is from 2014 but never seen it before, that is great.

As an aside, that video illustates quite well that white people can't dance!
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 27, 2017, 20:21
Re: Morning Mobilization May 27, 2017, 20:21
May 27, 2017, 20:21

Plus, it's more fun.
Ha! Video is from 2014 but never seen it before, that is great.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

May 27, 2017, 20:14
Re: Morning Mobilization May 27, 2017, 20:14
May 27, 2017, 20:14

Plus, it's more fun.

May 27, 2017, 17:12
Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2017, 17:12
May 27, 2017, 17:12

What??? Oh. Saved by the parenthesis.
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

May 27, 2017, 14:48
Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2017, 14:48
May 27, 2017, 14:48

Mr. Tact wrote on May 27, 2017, 13:51:
Yes, I realized it was staged, a recorded audio, and no actual harm. That wasn't my question. It is the job of actors to "seem real". I was wondering if the text indicated, "Actors, not actual pedestrians" or something to that affect.

I do have to say if I was crossing the intersection against the light when I had checked and there was no traffic I wouldn't be happy if the audio startled me...

I live in Paris. There is no mention of it being actors. However, their Youtube page does state that real footage and pics will be used in a campaign to raise awareness of the issue.

May 27, 2017, 13:54
Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2017, 13:54
May 27, 2017, 13:54

jdreyer wrote on May 27, 2017, 13:34:
RedEye9 wrote on May 27, 2017, 12:48:
Turns out that the French are good for something else besides fries.
Well, duh: Kissing!
Cleaner than hand shakes, right? Shaking hands spreads more germs than kissing
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

May 27, 2017, 13:51
Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2017, 13:51
May 27, 2017, 13:51

Yes, I realized it was staged, a recorded audio, and no actual harm. That wasn't my question. It is the job of actors to "seem real". I was wondering if the text indicated, "Actors, not actual pedestrians" or something to that affect.

I do have to say if I was crossing the intersection against the light when I had checked and there was no traffic I wouldn't be happy if the audio startled me...

May 27, 2017, 13:39
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2017, 13:39
May 27, 2017, 13:39
 Cutter

I think the screeching sound comes from the kiosk. They're obviously not going to put people in actual harms way for the sake of an ad. It was definitely staged - or as the French would say, 'staged' - but the people seem real. It's a good PSA an d one needed everywhere. Get your head out of your phone - and your ass - and pay attention to what's going on around you.

Lol at the angry old jerk.

And 'seal finger', who'd known about that? Sea Lions, the Komodo Dragons of the oceans. It was like the first time I wiped out on my motorcycle. I had no idea road rash was an actual thing. I was lucky I went to the hospital to get checked out - because the bruising was so major - or that could have ended very badly otherwise. I reckon there's gotta' be a million things like this out there that can kill you and most people will never know about until it's too late.
"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

May 27, 2017, 13:34
Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2017, 13:34
May 27, 2017, 13:34

RedEye9 wrote on May 27, 2017, 12:48:

Well, duh: Kissing!
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

May 27, 2017, 13:00
Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2017, 13:00
May 27, 2017, 13:00

So, anyone know French well enough to tell us if those were actors or actual innocent French citizens getting the shit scared out of them?

May 27, 2017, 12:48
Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2017, 12:48
May 27, 2017, 12:48

A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older