Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

11 Million Paladins and Counting

A post on reddit by Hi-Rez Studios from a couple of days ago about Paladins says the free-to-play shooter has attracted more than 11 million players since it launched about eight months ago (thanks DSOGaming). Thumbing their noses at cynics who call the Overwatch clone an Overwatch clone, they offer some statistics on its success:

While some of the press greeted Paladins with skeptical "clone" allegations & clickbait-y headlines, you the Player Community immediately grokked what makes our game unique: Paladins is a team-based shooter but with heavy Customization elements (in match Items, out of match Card Loadouts). In Paladins you define your own playstyle and get just a touch of MOBA with your FPS.
Fueled by YOUR positive word of mouth (Steam player reviews, console player reviews), Paladins is now one of the fastest growing games:

• On Steam Paladins was the top new game of 2016 in terms of overall playtime.
  • It is just 2 weeks since the Xbox One & PS4 Open Beta on May 3rd, and there are now well over 2 million console Paladins players.
  • And so in the eight months since Early Access the total Paladins player count is now over 11 million, and growing rapidly.
  • This does not count any players in China; since the China version of Paladins is still in Closed Testing on separate servers. In China, the game will be published by Tencent Games, the leading Publisher in that market.
  • The success of the game so far has allowed us to greatly staff up the Development Team (Smite's Dev Team also continues to grow by the way). In 2017 the Dev Team has managed to deliver: a new update every 2 weeks, 6 New Champions (Torvald, Maeve, Inara, Lex, Seris, Willo), 2 New Maps (Stone Keep, Brightmarsh), experimental Alternate Modes (PvE, Survival), a ton of test maps, and features we saw as most requested from the community, such as integrated Voice Chat

And we are just getting started. Because there is still SO much we will be improving within Paladins and adding to the game.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: 11 Million Paladins and Counting May 22, 2017, 07:34 Retired

11 Million Paladins, but only 40k active ones. Seems legit....  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. .. May 22, 2017, 05:14 JeffD

shiho wrote on May 22, 2017, 01:37:
Tribes Ascend. Never forget.
I'm with you dude.. I like the reboot and even threw some money at it... saddly support was dry on release.

11. Re: 11 Million Paladins and Counting May 22, 2017, 01:37 shiho

Tribes Ascend. Never forget.  

10. Re: 11 Million Paladins and Counting May 21, 2017, 21:55 Warskull

Cutter wrote on May 21, 2017, 11:50:
If it was a real success they wouldn't be engaging in bullshit marketing speak. 11 million people who tried an F2P game for a few minutes and quit means nothing.

The keyword in the marketing speak is "was." Paladins did really good for a short while because it was the poor man's Overwatch. Think Overwatch looks cool, but don't have $40-60? Try Paladins. It is easy to get people to sign up for a F2P game. Problem is their retention sucked because the game wasn't great.

It has stabilized around 25k concurrent with a 45k peak. Not going anywhere, but not really growing anymore.

They've also apparently been having trouble getting money form those players. Hence the more obnoxious f2P schemes they have been pushing.

9. Re: 11 Million Paladins and Counting May 21, 2017, 19:06 RaZ0r!

I got in the paid beta (Founder) on this game, and it had full aspect ratio support including 21:9. Then one patch (CB27) they forced 16:9 and 16:10 only. This letterboxed the game for ultrawide, and killed the game for 4:3 and 5:4. I asked for my money back since they dropped support for my hardware and they absolutely refused.  

8. Re: .. May 21, 2017, 18:23 DarkCntry

JeffD wrote on May 21, 2017, 12:33:
I had never actually heard of paladin until now, and I have overwatch.

The similarities are undeniable and quite funny, it seems like they decided to use overwatch characters as a balanced base, and then originate off that. I feel like there could have been ALOT they could have done to pull the character designs away from overwatch (why is the tank paladin a guy in armor with a rectangle blue shield? You couldn't think of any other character design proficient with large shields? ) I do like the card (talents) system they use to great effect. The side effect unfortunately is if the development team was unable to separate their game from overwatch from the start, how good are they going to be at creating their own talent system that will also remain balanced? This makes me think the game will never be in the tournament circuit.

However it is free to play, and many people out there can't afford much, and it looks like a very solid play, let them enjoy their game.

I do agree though player statistics like "downloaded" and "Signed up" for free to play is just stupid and worthless.

Just for clarity sake, Paladins has been in development longer than Overwatch and the character designs have been pretty much the same since they first announced it a couple years ago.

7. Re: .. May 21, 2017, 18:01 jdreyer

JeffD wrote on May 21, 2017, 12:33:

The similarities are undeniable and quite funny, it seems like they decided to use overwatch characters as a balanced base, and then originate off that. I feel like there could have been ALOT they could have done to pull the character designs away from overwatch (why is the tank paladin a guy in armor with a rectangle blue shield? You couldn't think of any other character design proficient with large shields? ) I do like the card (talents) system they use to great effect. The side effect unfortunately is if the development team was unable to separate their game from overwatch from the start, how good are they going to be at creating their own talent system that will also remain balanced? This makes me think the game will never be in the tournament circuit.

However it is free to play, and many people out there can't afford much, and it looks like a very solid play, let them enjoy their game.

I do agree though player statistics like "downloaded" and "Signed up" for free to play is just stupid and worthless.
Those stats aren't completely worthless. You or I couldn't make a game that got 11M downloads. That being said what do you you think would be a better measure of their success?

Stay a while, and listen.

6. Re: OUT! May 21, 2017, 13:54 Slashman

Rigs wrote on May 21, 2017, 13:08:
...a touch of MOBA with your FPS

'Get it out! OUT! Get it out of here! You're stinking up the whole room! OUT!'

I can't think of anything more boring and uninteresting, honestly. FPS, maybe, MOBA? OUT!

=-Rigs-=

Was sure there would be some kind of lawn reference in there...somewhere!

5. Re: OUT! May 21, 2017, 13:09 The Half Elf

Rigs wrote on May 21, 2017, 13:08:

I can't think of anything more boring and uninteresting, honestly. FPS, maybe, MOBA? OUT!

=-Rigs-=

*snickers*

You made my day sir

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

4. Re: OUT! May 21, 2017, 13:08 Rigs

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

3. .. May 21, 2017, 12:33 JeffD

2. Re: 11 Million Paladins and Counting May 21, 2017, 12:17 Flak

Cutter wrote on May 21, 2017, 11:50:
If it was a real success they wouldn't be engaging in bullshit marketing speak. 11 million people who tried an F2P game for a few minutes and quit means nothing.

Not to mention 'trading cards'. It seems half the time a huge number of 'players' will idle a game, especially F2P, for the trading cards. They have no interest at all in the actual game, but because of Valve's half-baked ecosystem, it invites a lot of non-usage of games that devs/publishers will tout as legitimate stats.

1. Re: 11 Million Paladins and Counting May 21, 2017, 11:50 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo