Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I mentioned getting my car a protective coating a couple of weeks ago, and it's worked out well. It's shedding water and dirt very readily, which suits its garage-free life (and my laziness about washing it). The stuff I used is called CQuartz, and it's pretty amazing, though it really requires a very clean finish to start with, so I did this in conjunction with the services of a detailer. To follow up, today I'm going to have him do the same for MrsBlue's car, which has been taking a beating driving back and forth to Pennsylvania each week, so it can use the love. Her little Civic also has swirls in the paint, and I have hopes that the treatment will help mask these. Either way it should withstand the rigors of her commute better.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: RoboBattle.
Story: Mom paralyzed after eating gas station nacho cheese.
Science: Donít drink the water: CDC says diarrhea-inducing parasite on the rise in U.S. pools.
Media: PREY (Honest Game Trailers).
QI - What Was The Chainsaw Invented For?
Chris Cornell - Black Hole Sun (Live Earth 2007).

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2017, 13:43 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on May 20, 2017, 18:50:
Your anecdote reminds me of something similar I could relay.. my freshman year of college, there was a food truck which showed up outside the university residence in the early evening. Generally the only thing I purchased from them was prepackaged goods, chips and such. However, one evening I had gotten distracted and missed dinner at the dining hall. So, I bought a sub sandwich from them.. don't really recall what type it was but I remember I thought it was very good. So after that about once a week or so I would get a sub from them. I suspect their health standards surpassed a garden variety gas station, but I could be mistaken...
Must have been okay because you lived to tell the tale.

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2017, 18:50 Mr. Tact

Your anecdote reminds me of something similar I could relay.. my freshman year of college, there was a food truck which showed up outside the university residence in the early evening. Generally the only thing I purchased from them was prepackaged goods, chips and such. However, one evening I had gotten distracted and missed dinner at the dining hall. So, I bought a sub sandwich from them.. don't really recall what type it was but I remember I thought it was very good. So after that about once a week or so I would get a sub from them. I suspect their health standards surpassed a garden variety gas station, but I could be mistaken...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2017, 16:40 Sepharo

Mr. Tact wrote on May 20, 2017, 09:53:
A one off purchase does not imply it was a staple of your plans. That said, I realized I missed the "my" in what SlimRam said:
SlimRam wrote on May 19, 2017, 22:01:
... gas-station food was a staple of my bachelor life ...
which I can not deny or protest.

The locals in the anecdote were the important part. I assume they ate their regularly on their breaks during whatever late job they were working.

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2017, 09:53 Mr. Tact

A one off purchase does not imply it was a staple of your plans. That said, I realized I missed the "my" in what SlimRam said:
... gas-station food was a staple of my bachelor life ...
which I can not deny or protest.

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2017, 01:32 Sepharo

Mr. Tact wrote on May 19, 2017, 22:47:
Anyway, shame on you, gas-station food was a staple of my bachelor life and I shall never rebuke them, regardless of the gastrointestinal suicide I committed in my youth!
Uh. no. As someone in their mid 50s who started saying at 16 that I'd never be married, and lived up to it. I object to the idea that "gas-station food is a staple of bachelor life". Eating out, yes. At gas-stations? Only if your brain is turned off. Mine isn't.

When I was in London, shit shut down quick at night... it was weird. We ended up having to buy sandwiches through a gas station window for a late dinner one evening. And there was a line of like 4 locals who all confirmed that there was nowhere nearby to grab a quick bite.

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 22:57 WarPig

Thanks guys, glad to hear he's alive!  

GO SEAHAWKS!

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 22:47 Mr. Tact

Anyway, shame on you, gas-station food was a staple of my bachelor life and I shall never rebuke them, regardless of the gastrointestinal suicide I committed in my youth!
Uh. no. As someone in their mid 50s who started saying at 16 that I'd never be married, and lived up to it. I object to the idea that "gas-station food is a staple of bachelor life". Eating out, yes. At gas-stations? Only if your brain is turned off. Mine isn't.

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 22:01 SlimRam

Cutter wrote on May 19, 2017, 10:24:

And that's why you don't eat gas-station food!
C'mon MAN! Some of my best (ok they are probably the worst but still) memories of Thanksgiving for me, when I was single I would to go to the Circle K down the street and get THREE hot dogs with chili, wrapped in plastic, in the refrigerated section for 2 DOLLARS! It's was sweet but damn did I regret eating those damn devil dogs the next day.

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 21:48 Mr. Tact

On a completely different subject.. best headline I've seen in a while:

Can we now stop talking about Anthony Weiner? Like, forever?

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 21:43 Mr. Tact

WarPig wrote on May 19, 2017, 19:43:
what the hell happened to nin?
Hey, WarPig. Blue contacted him and reported, "I contacted him and was relieved to find out he's okay at least... he says he's taking a break, which is hopefully temporary."

That's all we know, he hasn't posted since about mid February.

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 21:12 DarkV

Hell ya...I remember ya.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 19:52 jdreyer

WarPig wrote on May 19, 2017, 19:43:
As some of you may remember I used to visit and post fairly regularly here at Blue's but have pretty much turned into a lurker for the last few years. That being said, I don't know if I missed something that everyone already knows or if nobody knows the following...

Who's nin?

He's on haitus. Blue checked to make sure he hadn't died. Nobody knows why. Miss the guy. He'd perfected the one liner on this forum.

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 19:43 WarPig

As some of you may remember I used to visit and post fairly regularly here at Blue's but have pretty much turned into a lurker for the last few years. That being said, I don't know if I missed something that everyone already knows or if nobody knows the following...

GO SEAHAWKS!

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 13:44 jdreyer

Pigeon wrote on May 19, 2017, 13:11:
RedEye9 wrote on May 19, 2017, 10:04:

It's been decades since I was in a public pool, now if I could only say the same for gas station nacho cheese.

Gas station nacho cheese like the movie theater hot dog, a mystery surprise of exciting and possibly undiscovered microbes. As for the pool parasites, tough little monkeys to survive in that much chlorinated water.

There is at least enough chlorine in pools to get me busted for sneaking out while grounded. It was a great plan, parents at work for the day, it was summer and I wasn't gonna let a little grounding stop me from an awesome day at the pool. I even took, and frequently used sunscreen so a burn or heavy tan wouldn't give it a way. What I didn't count on was that 6 hours in the chlorinated water and sun was going to partially bleach my hair, oops .

Heh, funny story.

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 13:11 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on May 19, 2017, 10:04:

It's been decades since I was in a public pool, now if I could only say the same for gas station nacho cheese.

Gas station nacho cheese like the movie theater hot dog, a mystery surprise of exciting and possibly undiscovered microbes. As for the pool parasites, tough little monkeys to survive in that much chlorinated water.

There is at least enough chlorine in pools to get me busted for sneaking out while grounded. It was a great plan, parents at work for the day, it was summer and I wasn't gonna let a little grounding stop me from an awesome day at the pool. I even took, and frequently used sunscreen so a burn or heavy tan wouldn't give it a way. What I didn't count on was that 6 hours in the chlorinated water and sun was going to partially bleach my hair, oops .

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 10:24 Cutter

Whenever I read these Blue's car stories I always envision him getting his inner-Gino on. Wearing a mesh wife-beater, several gold chains, white shorts, and sandals with white socks, all the while blaring Gino Vanelli's Black Cars Look Better in the Shade as he waxes his car, and A's and O's over how good it looks.

And that's why you don't eat gas-station food!

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

1. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 10:04 RedEye9

I use a nano polymer teflon encapsulating whitening toothpaste.
Only side effect was my gums disappeared but on the upside I only have to brush once a month.

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
http://spaf.cerias.purdue.edu/quotes.html

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo