Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer

This new trailer from Bungie offers the promised reveal of gameplay from Destiny 2, the upcoming shooter sequel that's coming to PC as well as consoles. This comes with new details on the game, including how multiplayer matchmaking will use Blizzard's Battle.net (they seem to have missed the news of the name change)). They say this is the first third-party game to launch through the service, though of course Blizzard is part of Destiny publisher Activision. There are also details on preorders on the Destiny website, and preorder customers will get early beta access. Here's word:

Bungie and Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), debuted Destiny 2's gameplay for the first time to a global, livestreamed audience in a hands-on event at Jet Center in Hawthorne, California. Destiny 2 is the sequel to the internationally acclaimed Destiny, a first-person action game that takes the player on an epic journey to defend humanity from annihilation. The live broadcast showcased a variety of the activities, opening on a dramatic campaign mission that sets up the premise of the game to answer how you recover when your home is destroyed and your powers are taken away. The broadcast went on to detail the game's social and cooperative activities, including the all-new "Guided Games" feature while highlighting multiple brand-new destinations. In September, Destiny 2 will be available on PlayStation®4 systems with additional, timed exclusive* content, and Xbox One (PlayStation®Plus or Xbox Live Gold subscription, respectively, required for significant features). Additionally, Destiny 2 will be available on PC at retail and as the first third-party game to be offered digitally via Battle.net®, Blizzard Entertainment's online gaming service.

The broadcast was streamed globally in four languages and emphasized that the game will offer a fresh start to all players with no previous knowledge or background needed. Destiny 2's story allows the player to enjoy a heroic, cinematic journey, either solo or with friends. A key announcement during the livestream was about a new feature called, "Guided Games," that makes it easy for all players to experience the most challenging and rewarding activities the game has to offer. This new feature allows solo players to find and play with other players to enjoy Destiny 2 and earn new in-game rewards like weapons, and armor. Also available for attendees was "Countdown," an all-new competitive multiplayer mode as well as a three-player cooperative activity on a new map called, "Inverted Spire."

In the story of Destiny 2, the last safe city on Earth has fallen and lay in ruins, occupied by a powerful new enemy and his elite army, the Red Legion. Every player creates their own character called a "Guardian," humanity's chosen protectors. As a Guardian in Destiny 2, players must master new abilities and weapons to reunite the city's forces, stand together and fight back to reclaim their home.

"Destiny established a blockbuster, new franchise and a massive global community of amazingly passionate fans. And today, we are giving people their first look at the gameplay of Destiny 2," said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision. "Destiny 2 has a great story, an iconic new villain, awesome characters you want to go on an epic adventure with, and of course, tons of the amazing gameplay that Destiny is known for. We, along with our partners at Bungie, have listened carefully to our community, and have added thoughtful innovations that make the game, and all of its content, more accessible to more types of players than ever before."

Bungie CEO, Pete Parsons, said, "This is a defining moment for our studio, and we couldn't have done it without the continued support of our partners in Activision, Sony and now Blizzard." He added, "We have an amazing community of players who have been with us on this journey, but with the sequel, the team are paying close attention to welcoming new and returning Guardians to the universe with something for every type of gamer, including gameplay for solo, cooperative and competitive players with new places to explore and adventures to conquer."

"As Destiny fans, we were excited to learn that the sequel was coming to PC," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "We're pleased to support Destiny 2 as the first non-Blizzard game on our platform, and we look forward to joining fellow Guardians in their fight against the Red Legion."

Destiny 2 is currently Rating Pending (RP) by the ESRB and will be available at a suggested retail price of $59.99. The product line-up will also feature the Destiny 2 - Game + Expansion Pass Bundle at $89.99 SRP, the Destiny 2 - Digital Deluxe Edition featuring premium digital content at $99.99 SRP, the Limited Edition at $99.99 SRP, and the Collector's Edition, featuring a fully-wearable Destiny 2 - Frontier Bag, Expansion Pass, premium digital content and a Cabal-themed Collector's Box for $249.99 SRP.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 19, 2017, 10:09 Cutter

jacobvandy wrote on May 18, 2017, 21:34:
Cutter wrote on May 18, 2017, 20:43:
That is interesting them going with Bnet. You'd think MS would have tied into their shitty Win10 initiative somehow and made you play it on their servers. I guess Actiblizz offered them a much better deal than the 30 points Valve charges.

Activision publishes Destiny, bruh. They own their own company with an existing infrastructure for such things on PC.. There's no reason for them to look elsewhere.

Ahh, I didn't realize they own the publishing rights. Shows how much I care.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 19, 2017, 08:24 CJ_Parker

bigspender wrote on May 19, 2017, 06:32:
Those 15-20minute gameplay streams from youtubers look so boring!

And what does that tell us about the game? Yes. That.

Demo or $4.99 sale plz

17. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 19, 2017, 07:30 VaranDragon

Rhett wrote on May 19, 2017, 06:11:
There's tons of actual gameplay (PVE and PVP - from youtubers, as well as the official Homecoming mission gameplay) on youtube, in-case anyone's looking for something more solid.

Looks great.

Thanks, will check it out.

16. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 19, 2017, 06:32 bigspender

Those 15-20minute gameplay streams from youtubers look so boring!  

15. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 19, 2017, 06:11 Rhett

There's tons of actual gameplay (PVE and PVP - from youtubers, as well as the official Homecoming mission gameplay) on youtube, in-case anyone's looking for something more solid.

Looks great.

14. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 19, 2017, 02:55 VaranDragon

Well there were about 3 seconds of actual gameplay in that "gameplay" trailer. Im impressed.

If this is sort of like a shooty Diablo, with PvP content, then it might actually be good.

If on the other hand it's just a grindy coop shooter, with limited trade and limited player interaction "ala Diablo 3" then, thanks but no thanks.

13. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 19, 2017, 01:25 Numinar

Fell off the Destiny train a few years ago. I am super hyped to get back in though on PC.

This trailer feels like old Bungie, I think this is the only game I am super excited about this year. Could be a bit bait and switchy again but hopefully they have tightened up their production process and the thinness of D1 post release is due to all the love this game has been getting.

Hell, if it's only as good as D1 but at 60fps I think I'm ready for that but... no. I cannot hope for more. I cannot afford another hype-stroke.

Edit: If I was on their marketing team I would suggest they rename battle.net to bungie.net for a week at release as a joke and homage.

12. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 18, 2017, 21:40 Yosemite Sam

New matchmaking system and the claim that the world sandboxes will be 2x the size of Destiny1 got my attention.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

11. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 18, 2017, 21:34 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on May 18, 2017, 20:43:
That is interesting them going with Bnet. You'd think MS would have tied into their shitty Win10 initiative somehow and made you play it on their servers. I guess Actiblizz offered them a much better deal than the 30 points Valve charges.

Activision publishes Destiny, bruh. They own their own company with an existing infrastructure for such things on PC.. There's no reason for them to look elsewhere.

10. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 18, 2017, 20:43 Cutter

9. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 18, 2017, 19:07 jacobvandy

Showing a few first-person perspectives in your cinematic trailer hardly qualifies it to be a "gameplay trailer." Rolleyes

Anyway, I wasn't overly impressed by the first game when I rented it for PS3 back in the day... The controls definitely held back some of the enjoyment for me, so I might check this out eventually if the reviews are good.

8. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 18, 2017, 18:39 Prez

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/news/?d=2017-5#181745

Being a battlenet exclusive means it not coming to Steam I guess? I wondered if that meant that the Blizzard app was going to begin to sell non-Blizzard games, but for now they say no.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 18, 2017, 17:43 raVen

Mr. Tact wrote on May 18, 2017, 17:35:
I don't know anything about Destiny and watching this trailer didn't give me much of an idea of what gameplay in Destiny 2 would be like. Pretty much a fail of a trailer if you ask me. ie.. what is game play and what was an in-game set pieces?
Yeah, they didn't really talk much about the campaign other than "MORE CUT SCENES THAN EVER BEFORE!!!", and OMG MOAR LOOTS!... They heavily focused on pulling random strangers into clans, where like in WoW, they're going to get kicked from groups and shit on because they aren't good. -- No thanks.

The Blizzard App portion is actually one of the appealing things for me, I have a ton of friends on that and All the people I know that did play destiny (on whatever platform) are on it. but alas, I usually played alone because I prefer it, especially when even people I do know can be assholes about shit. (no longer play Overwatch with them either.)

Destiny community wasn't that tight knit when I was playing, so are they really just blowing smoke up my ass, or did it change with the content drought?

6. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 18, 2017, 17:35 Mr. Tact

I don't know anything about Destiny and watching this trailer didn't give me much of an idea of what gameplay in Destiny 2 would be like. Pretty much a fail of a trailer if you ask me. ie.. what is game play and what was an in-game set pieces?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

5. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 18, 2017, 17:17 Primalchrome

So Destiny gets laid into the Diablo model......interesting.

No comments about it being Battlizzard.net exclusive? No Steam integration? Worked for Overwatch, wonder how it will do on this title.

4. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 18, 2017, 17:12 Asmodai

Cutter wrote on May 18, 2017, 16:50:
Theme and MMO aspects aside they're virtually identical games. They're loot based, first person ARPGs. In terms of what the game is and what the goal of it is is no different, grinding for loot. That's all it is.

True, but a lot of games with limited storylines and somewhat grindy content can still be great fun, particularly in co-op. Helldivers comes to mind.

Never played the first Destiny but that was more about being on a console (as I am the king of fucking morons when it comes to controller FPS...). Might round up my group of friends once we see a bit more of what is coming with this.

3. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 18, 2017, 16:50 Cutter

HoSpanky wrote on May 18, 2017, 16:43:
While I wasn't super impressed with the first Destiny, that was mostly due to the story having been gutted entirely and your primary source of information being bored with his role. It kept me from being interested.

The gameplay itself was rock solid and fun, just terribly repetitive and with no functional reason as to WHY things happened. Hoping this one is better.

Your NMS reference, Cutter, is wildly misplaced. Grindey gameplay? Well yes, it's essentially an MMO. Par for the course. The difference is that it takes actual gameplay skill into account as much as your gear.

Theme and MMO aspects aside they're virtually identical games. They're loot based, first person ARPGs. In terms of what the game is and what the goal of it is is no different, grinding for loot. That's all it is.

2. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 18, 2017, 16:43 HoSpanky

While I wasn't super impressed with the first Destiny, that was mostly due to the story having been gutted entirely and your primary source of information being bored with his role. It kept me from being interested.

The gameplay itself was rock solid and fun, just terribly repetitive and with no functional reason as to WHY things happened. Hoping this one is better.

Your NMS reference, Cutter, is wildly misplaced. Grindey gameplay? Well yes, it's essentially an MMO. Par for the course. The difference is that it takes actual gameplay skill into account as much as your gear.

1. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 18, 2017, 16:31 Cutter

First off, rip off Serenity much with that opening scene?

"Bastard's not even changing course."

Second. This looks like a ripoff of NMS meets Badlands all grind gameplay. And it's online only? Pass.

Edit: I meant Borderlands.

This comment was edited on May 18, 2017, 16:47.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo