Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

On Tuesday I mentioned how seasonably mild the spring has been so far in these parts. Yesterday it was 90-or-so degrees here. I'm tempted superstitiously decide that this was influenced by my words. But then there's yesterday when I complained about the ineptitude of my New York Knickerbockers. This is one of at least a dozen or so rants I've had on the topic over the years, and they haven't won a championship since 1973. So if my words have any power, it's only working in the wrong direction.

R.I.P.: Chris Cornell, Singer with Soundgarden and Audioslave, Dies at 52. Thanks David.
R.I.P.: Ex-Fox News head Roger Ailes dead: report. Thanks Devicer..

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Drift Runner 3D.
Story: Dutch King Willem-Alexander Reveals He Was KLM Pilot for 21 Years.
Science: Nasa: Humans Have Inadvertently Created Artificial Barrier Around Earth. NASA!
UC Davis- Nearly half California salmon at risk of extinction in 50 years.
New discovery shows T-rex’s bite could make bones ‘explode’.
Media: First Trailer: "Star Trek: Discovery." Thanks David.
Guy puts a camera into a bucket of water, desert creatures sneak sips.
Crash Test: 1998 vs 2015 Toyota Corolla.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

59. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2017, 09:40 RedEye9

RedEye9 wrote on May 21, 2017, 09:38:
jdreyer wrote on May 20, 2017, 15:01:
Kxmode wrote on May 19, 2017, 20:20:
NKD wrote on May 19, 2017, 12:53:
Kxmode wrote on May 19, 2017, 10:50:
Dacote wrote on May 19, 2017, 07:39:
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar, well put.

A gentleman and a scholar wouldn't wish for the death of anyone.

We don't have the advantage of magic underwear and door-to-door religious sales experience.

Never begin your point with ignorant and baseless rhetoric.

While in general, I agree that wishing death upon or killing anyone should be avoided, are there never any circumstances where killing is morally permissible? Time travel paradoxes, slippery slopes, and butterfly effects aside, would you not go back in time and kill Hitler or Stalin if you could? Or I'm curious how you would handle the trolley scenario.
You had to ask, I pity you. /s
Hope you enjoyed your fictional answers.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2017, 09:38 RedEye9

57. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2017, 00:47 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on May 20, 2017, 15:01:
We don't have the advantage of magic underwear and door-to-door religious sales experience.

While in general, I agree that wishing death upon or killing anyone should be avoided, are there never any circumstances where killing is morally permissible? Time travel paradoxes, slippery slopes, and butterfly effects aside, would you not go back in time and kill Hitler or Stalin if you could? Or I'm curious how you would handle the trolley scenario.

Romans 12:17-21 sums up the point nicely.

"Return evil for evil to no one. Take into consideration what is fine from the viewpoint of all men. If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men. Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath; for it is written: “‘Vengeance is mine; I will repay,’ says Jehovah.” But “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals on his head.” Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good."

If more people did this, the world wouldn't be in its current condition.

And to answer your hypothetical trolley scenario, I would walk away. I'm not responsible for either group nor am I responsible for a runaway trolley. The reason? "time and unexpected events overtake them all." (Ecclesiastes 9:11)

This comment was edited on May 21, 2017, 01:37.

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB

56. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2017, 15:01 jdreyer

Stay a while, and listen.

55. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 20:20 Kxmode

54. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 15:21 Dacote

We can't all be as virtuous as you. We don't have the advantage of magic underwear and door-to-door religious sales experience.

The fact of the matter is that the closest we can come to objective morality is the sum total of suffering on this planet. Usually when someone dies, there's an increase in suffering. Their family, friends, and so on.

But some people, like Roger Ailes, are responsible for a lot of suffering. Ailes was instrumental in the current divided state of our country. He made a business of playing on peoples racism, bigotry, and fear for ratings, money, and success. He is THE key figure in the editorialization of our news media. There are others, but he was the big dog.

The only time a villain dying is a bad thing is when it makes room for an even worse villain.
You had me at magic undies.

The $12 question is are they tighty whities or jockey.

53. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 12:53 NKD

We can't all be as virtuous as you. We don't have the advantage of magic underwear and door-to-door religious sales experience.

The fact of the matter is that the closest we can come to objective morality is the sum total of suffering on this planet. Usually when someone dies, there's an increase in suffering. Their family, friends, and so on.

But some people, like Roger Ailes, are responsible for a lot of suffering. Ailes was instrumental in the current divided state of our country. He made a business of playing on peoples racism, bigotry, and fear for ratings, money, and success. He is THE key figure in the editorialization of our news media. There are others, but he was the big dog.

The only time a villain dying is a bad thing is when it makes room for an even worse villain.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bad_cop_no_donut - For the latest developments in police misconduct in the US.

52. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 10:50 Kxmode

51. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 07:39 Dacote

NKD wrote on May 18, 2017, 16:23:
Kxmode wrote on May 18, 2017, 15:50:
NKD wrote on May 18, 2017, 15:43:
But on the other hand Roger Ailes dead. Small comfort though because that guy should have been killed by some time traveler from the dystopian future.

Wishing death upon someone is the lowest form of human expression and a lack of empathy for the surviving family members.

Don't care. His death is a net gain for humanity, and would have been a lot more of a net gain had it happened sooner. He was human garbage. I'm not going to pretend every life is sacred, or equal, or even worth the oxygen is sucks down just to virtue signal how empathetic and kind I am.

When someone dies who I think has put more suffering into this world than they removed, I will absolutely be happy about it.

50. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 07:14 RedEye9

Bundy wrote on May 18, 2017, 21:01:
There definitely aren't enough roles for white men in Hollywood...
Or white women playing orientals, you can never have too many whites.

49. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 03:31 Kxmode

NKD wrote on May 18, 2017, 16:23:
Kxmode wrote on May 18, 2017, 15:50:
NKD wrote on May 18, 2017, 15:43:
But on the other hand Roger Ailes dead. Small comfort though because that guy should have been killed by some time traveler from the dystopian future.

Wishing death upon someone is the lowest form of human expression and a lack of empathy for the surviving family members.

Don't care. His death is a net gain for humanity, and would have been a lot more of a net gain had it happened sooner. He was human garbage. I'm not going to pretend every life is sacred, or equal, or even worth the oxygen is sucks down just to virtue signal how empathetic and kind I am.

When someone dies who I think has put more suffering into this world than they removed, I will absolutely be happy about it.

Whether or not you act on such thoughts is irrelevant. That you're okay with wishing murder upon another because of an unjust slight or because they don't share your point of view is the same kind of thinking terrorists use to justify their heinous actions. I pity you.

48. Re: Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 01:36 Bundy

GothicWizard wrote on May 18, 2017, 21:47:
Bundy wrote on May 18, 2017, 14:27:
And not a gaggle of liberal pussies.

Funny, I don't want to watch a show that reminds me of a bunch of under educated, selfish conservative pricks.

Here's the thing. I AM a liberal pussy. That's partly why I loved Trek. But in DS9 they were getting roasted by the Dominion at every turn, they needed to start doing nasty war things to win. They needed Section 31, but decided to take them down instead.

Liberal pussies like me don't win wars against ruthless enemies.

47. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 01:30 Bundy

Beamer wrote on May 19, 2017, 00:36:
Agent-Zero wrote on May 18, 2017, 22:34:
Beamer wrote on May 18, 2017, 22:14:
Agent-Zero wrote on May 18, 2017, 21:37:
RoboNerd wrote on May 18, 2017, 19:46:
"Cutter"May 18, 2017, 16:54"25394]

Uh maybe because the target demographic for these shows is 95% white male. I really have zero interest in watching shows with a liberal agenda of inclusivity where every other character has to be a multi-racial pansexual quasi-dwarf.

What Cutter just said... Thumbsup

There definitely aren't enough white knights on the internet...

That is such a lame, meaningless term. I

maybe this will help you http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=White%20Knight

google helps too, when you dont understand things

try it sometime

Still meaningless. MRAs and trolls, of which you're frequently but not always one (never really seen you the other, though), overuse it endlessly.

As far as I know, we do not have a single woman on BluesNews, yet anyone saying anything in defense of women against the frothing incels this place occasionally attracts, of which there are always like 3 but they never stick around long, gets called a white knight. Yet, weirdly, no women are here to defend themselves.

And all I said was that I didn't mind that a sci fi show had a female lead, which in Hollywood that is a rarity. That makes me a white knight? It's just completely unacceptable to have a girl on a space ship? They have to be all men? Because it's men that are watching. The women can, what? Stand in the background, look pretty and keep quiet?

Robert Ailes died today, are you three trying to replace him?

Think I'll just put you retards on ignore so I don't need to hear your ignorance ever again. That sounds like a good plan to me.

46. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 00:36 Beamer

Agent-Zero wrote on May 18, 2017, 22:34:

Uh maybe because the target demographic for these shows is 95% white male. I really have zero interest in watching shows with a liberal agenda of inclusivity where every other character has to be a multi-racial pansexual quasi-dwarf.

maybe this will help you http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=White%20Knight

try it sometime

Still meaningless. MRAs and trolls, of which you're frequently but not always one (never really seen you the other, though), overuse it endlessly.

As far as I know, we do not have a single woman on BluesNews, yet anyone saying anything in defense of women against the frothing incels this place occasionally attracts, of which there are always like 3 but they never stick around long, gets called a white knight. Yet, weirdly, no women are here to defend themselves.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

45. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2017, 23:38 Mr. Tact

Although I knew a bit about Soundgarden, I didn't know the name Chris Cornell. Which really isn't saying much for me, I'm really bad about knowing band members names of even bands I like and own multiple albums for. That said it is always sad when anyone believes dying is their best option (short perhaps of a terminal illness, or other grave problem). This article on People Chris Cornell's final show is more than a bit chilling in retrospect.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

44. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2017, 22:34 Agent-Zero

try it sometime

43. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2017, 22:14 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

42. Re: Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2017, 21:47 GothicWizard

Bundy wrote on May 18, 2017, 14:27:
And not a gaggle of liberal pussies.

Funny, I don't want to watch a show that reminds me of a bunch of under educated, selfish conservative pricks.

41. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2017, 21:37 Agent-Zero

40. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2017, 21:01 Bundy

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo