Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Morning Metaverse May 18, 2017, 10:18 Bundy

VaranDragon wrote on May 18, 2017, 03:12:
Creston wrote on May 17, 2017, 20:05:
Beamer wrote on May 17, 2017, 14:31:
When you think of a great book translated well elsewhere, the top pick would likely be Game of Thrones. Except George RR Martin was a TV writer for three and a half decades, so he understands TV. Otherwise? Movies and television are often better when the author is removed.

Plus GoT has gotten substantially better now they are no longer forced to pay attention to GRRM's endless "I can wring 16 more books out of this story!" bullshit.

Sure the plotline has been condensed, and it feels like it's getting somewhere finally. However the writing has suffered. The dialogue, and characters themselves are much poorer. The way that the story is told should be more important than just finishing the story. I have a feeling that the GoT TV series will go out with a whimper. Not a bang. That's just my opinion though.

I agree with the writing suffering somewhat since the divergance from the books. At least they're intent on finishing the story though. Every book takes Martin 5 years longer than the previous one. Not good odds on him surviving to the end of his own story.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Morning Metaverse May 18, 2017, 03:12 VaranDragon

Creston wrote on May 17, 2017, 20:05:
When you think of a great book translated well elsewhere, the top pick would likely be Game of Thrones. Except George RR Martin was a TV writer for three and a half decades, so he understands TV. Otherwise? Movies and television are often better when the author is removed.

Plus GoT has gotten substantially better now they are no longer forced to pay attention to GRRM's endless "I can wring 16 more books out of this story!" bullshit.

Sure the plotline has been condensed, and it feels like it's getting somewhere finally. However the writing has suffered. The dialogue, and characters themselves are much poorer. The way that the story is told should be more important than just finishing the story. I have a feeling that the GoT TV series will go out with a whimper. Not a bang. That's just my opinion though.

24. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 20:07 Creston

Flatline wrote on May 17, 2017, 15:53:
A fantasy setting where you have plenty of T&A and sex, but you also have a very morally ambiguous setting that isn't grimdark like Westeros. You can have all of the intrigue and backstabbing and unsympathetic protagonists and sympathetic antagonists without the over the top grimness of Game of Thrones.

You don't find the world of the Witcher grim as fuck? I mean, you can easily make an argument that it's more grim than Game of Thrones.

23. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 20:05 Creston

22. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 20:04 Creston

Bundy wrote on May 17, 2017, 14:11:
It's the same thing in the game, is it not? Ciri was perpetually the princess in the other castle. By the time you finally find out where she was and I reached that cabin, I was totally at the point of, "if she's not here, I'm deleting this fucking game!"

That's actually fair enough, but you do chase her to different areas, and find out what happened to her there, then chase down the next lead. None of this happens in the book. Geralt hears that Ciri is in Nilfgaard for "reasons", and then spends the next 3 books trying to get to Nilfgaard to save her, without ever actually getting anywhere NEAR fucking Nilfgaard. He just sort of meanders about.

Also, Ciri is never in Nilfgaard to begin with, which you as the reader know, so these three books are dedicated to getting Geralt someplace that you, as the reader, already know he's never going to get, or IF he gets there, will serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

The latter books feel very "made up as he went along" kind of writing to me.

That said, the characters in it are very good, and it's actually cool to see the origins of some of the Witcher's finest characters. It just misses... I dunno... the swagger of the Witcher in the game.

21. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 17:09 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on May 17, 2017, 16:13:
Live action vs. CG, any thoughts? I'd prefer live action myself, with CG effects, a la GoT, but that W3 trailer is so good. Probably too expensive to do a multi episode show this way though.

This could be GoT good, or Dungeons & Dragons bad. Or if they go the CG route, it could be uncanny valley bad, like Beowulf.

To be fair, Beowulf is 10 years old.

And to be even more fair, some of the big CG set pieces for GoT *suck*.

20. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 16:46 Agent-Zero

jdreyer wrote on May 17, 2017, 16:13:
Live action vs. CG, any thoughts? I'd prefer live action myself, with CG effects, a la GoT, but that W3 trailer is so good. Probably too expensive to do a multi episode show this way though.

This could be GoT good, or Dungeons & Dragons bad. Or if they go the CG route, it could be uncanny valley bad, like Beowulf.

id imagine its ultimately much cheaper to do live actors with CGI monsters and magic, etc... which means, thats what it will be

netflix has had some ups and downs tho... i thought Marco Polo was good, but they cancelled that... and then somebody let Iron Fist get thru and it was fucking trash... so its not an automatic slam dunk but I like the odds given what we know about the production team

19. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 16:32 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on May 17, 2017, 15:55:
In general, I find having an author involved is a very bad thing for any other medium.

Counterpoint: JK Rowling was heavily involved in the Harry Potter movies, and they were massive successes both financially and critically.

General consensus is often that the first was heavily concerned with cramming as much of the books in as possible, with a transition to being more concerned with being better films than perfect adaptations. Which makes sense, it took her a while to really learn film.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 16:13 jdreyer

Stay a while, and listen.

17. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 15:55 jdreyer

In general, I find having an author involved is a very bad thing for any other medium.

Counterpoint: JK Rowling was heavily involved in the Harry Potter movies, and they were massive successes both financially and critically.

Stay a while, and listen.

16. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 15:53 Flatline

A TV series is too big for one person to write. So there will be a stable of writers and the author will probably be consulted or have a production credit.

I'm cautiously optimistic. They obviously want a GoT contender and I think they have it in Geralt. A fantasy setting where you have plenty of T&A and sex, but you also have a very morally ambiguous setting that isn't grimdark like Westeros. You can have all of the intrigue and backstabbing and unsympathetic protagonists and sympathetic antagonists without the over the top grimness of Game of Thrones.

It's a good mix. Plus you have all of the twists on the classic fairy tales that you can weave into the story. As long as it doesn't devolve into monster hunter of the week I think it has legs.

15. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 14:31 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 14:22 Agent-Zero

Acleacius wrote on May 17, 2017, 10:56:
I'm not sure whether to laugh or be horrified.

well lets see...

The show will be executive produced by Sean Daniel (The Mummy franchise) and Jason Brown (The Expanse). The Oscar nominated visual effects studio Platige Image S.A. is doing the show..

Previously, Platige Image S.A. has done cinematics for The Witcher games, which were directed by Tomasz Baginski. He’s also going to be one of the show’s directors. Maybe that’s a hint at what to expect?

so im not sure if i should take you seriously or not.. wait - ok yeh im sure, you shouldnt be taken seriously at all

13. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 14:15 Acleacius

Red wrote on May 17, 2017, 11:44:
Depends on how big Adam Sandler's role in it is.
Lmao! Mwahaha

Stop. Lose all scripted responses. Improvisation only.

12. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 14:11 Bundy

Creston wrote on May 17, 2017, 13:49:
VaranDragon wrote on May 17, 2017, 12:06:
That doesn't mean that the source material is bullshit, or that the author who wrote them is a hack.

Neither I nor Beamer said that. However, the reason the Witcher is as mega popular as it is now is because of the games, not because of the books (at least outside of Poland.)

The books are... okay. The short stories series are pretty good, but the big Geralt & Ciri storyline has a shit ton of pacing issues, dead space, Geralt whining, and basically Geralt's entire motivation for 3 books is "must get to Nilfgaard to get Ciri!" basically off a rumor he heard, and then during those 3 books, he really never gets much closer to getting there.

Compare that to the Witcher 3, and it is just substantially better paced, written and far more interesting. Witcher 3's Geralt is an utter badass.

Basically what I'm saying is, I hope the TV series is based off of Witcher 3's Geralt, and not off Book Geralt.

It's the same thing in the game, is it not? Ciri was perpetually the princess in the other castle. By the time you finally find out where she was and I reached that cabin, I was totally at the point of, "if she's not here, I'm deleting this fucking game!"

11. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 13:53 VaranDragon

That's not gonna happen. He is going to be based off the Book Gerald, just like the Game Geralt.

I actually like the whining Geralt more. He seems more human IMO. Still since this is going to be a Netflix original series, Im fairly certain that the character of Geralt will depend a lot on the actor who will play him.

10. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 13:49 Creston

VaranDragon wrote on May 17, 2017, 12:06:
That doesn't mean that the source material is bullshit, or that the author who wrote them is a hack.

Neither I nor Beamer said that. However, the reason the Witcher is as mega popular as it is now is because of the games, not because of the books (at least outside of Poland.)

The books are... okay. The short stories series are pretty good, but the big Geralt & Ciri storyline has a shit ton of pacing issues, dead space, Geralt whining, and basically Geralt's entire motivation for 3 books is "must get to Nilfgaard to get Ciri!" basically off a rumor he heard, and then during those 3 books, he really never gets much closer to getting there.

Compare that to the Witcher 3, and it is just substantially better paced, written and far more interesting. Witcher 3's Geralt is an utter badass.

Basically what I'm saying is, I hope the TV series is based off of Witcher 3's Geralt, and not off Book Geralt.

9. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 12:06 VaranDragon

Oh greater than signs. I can do those too. Check it out:

No Witcher Books Exist = No Witcher Games ever Created!

In my book that means that Book Geralt > Game Geralt

Im not trying to get into a pissing contest, some people also prefer the Lord of the Rings movies over the books. I guess thats fine. Opinions and all. That doesn't mean that the source material is bullshit, or that the author who wrote them is a hack.

This comment was edited on May 17, 2017, 13:11.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 12:00 Creston

VaranDragon wrote on May 17, 2017, 11:52:
Beamer wrote on May 17, 2017, 11:51:
Red wrote on May 17, 2017, 11:44:
Depends on how big Adam Sandler's role in it is.

Oh man, I really kind of hate you right now, hahahahahahaha.

But the author is more involved than the games, and he isn't a fan of the games, yet I think TW3 probably has the best characters, or world, or something, of any game I've played, so I think not having him involved had to have been a benefit.

Please not this shit again. Have you read the books? The games follow the books VERY closely. Just because the author declined to be involved in the production of the games, doesn't mean that CD Project RED didn't have great respect for the source material.

Eh, the game features substantially better writing than his books, so :-shrug-:

In books 4, 5 and 6, after that mage kicks the shit out of him and crushes his leg Geralt is basically a whiny old man who constantly complains that his leg hurts.

Game Geralt >>>>>>>> Book Geralt.

7. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 11:54 MacLeod

Beamer wrote on May 17, 2017, 11:51:
But the author is more involved than the games, and he isn't a fan of the games, yet I think TW3 probably has the best characters, or world, or something, of any game I've played, so I think not having him involved had to have been a benefit.

I actually read a recent interview with him a month or so ago, and (from what I remember) it's not so much that he doesn't like the games, he actually complimented on them on the job they did, he just finds it frustrating some times how people think he's writing books based on the games and such.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo