Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 16, 2017, 09:07 Dev

Incidentally this official post from MS confirms what everyone knew... the NSA leak was real, they really are stockpiling, they took crappy care of their tools, and this latest thing is a direct result of that.

By confirming this, this also strongly implies a lot of other things about how those tools have unique signatures in them and where else those signatures have popped up.

Yes all the above was theorized, and anyone with half a brain knew it already, but that's different than official confirmation.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 16, 2017, 00:43 Atoth

Creston wrote on May 15, 2017, 10:54:
I just now realized that, when I got around to reading the article. Hehe. :-oops-:

Wow talk about being part of the problem Creston! Why don't you actually read stuff before commenting...

13. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 16, 2017, 00:41 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on May 15, 2017, 21:53:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 15, 2017, 18:07:
The joke is had you actually thought about it for a second you'd have come up with a far cheaper and faster solution that even stupid end users can use, external HDD. (Although some of em might already get confused with more than 1 available drive letter....)

Yeah, except for convenience's sake, everyone leaves that connected, so the encryptor would have just encrypted that as well.

Ps.: your solution would actually be more expensive than just paying the trojan bitcoin fee. (Which I actually find exceptionally low....)

That's assuming that they will actually bother to unlock your files for you. Some do, some don't. Some unlock it, you think you're safe, and then ten days later the encryption comes back, and they demand another fee.

Never pay. If nobody ever paid the fucking fee, this ransomware bullshit would long have since ceased being an issue.

Surprisingly people who ever in their life got his by this will ALWAYS disconnect external drives, I've managed to make that a thing within my extended "family" support circle.

But yeah, paying is obviously a last option, but if it encrypted some documents you REALLY need and can't get any other way you are gonna pay $300 without blinking. As I said, this Trojan has an exceptionally low decryption price imo. It only even got so high as it is right now because the bitcoin value jumped up immensely when it hit (guess why)

12. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 15, 2017, 21:53 Creston

The joke is had you actually thought about it for a second you'd have come up with a far cheaper and faster solution that even stupid end users can use, external HDD. (Although some of em might already get confused with more than 1 available drive letter....)

Yeah, except for convenience's sake, everyone leaves that connected, so the encryptor would have just encrypted that as well.

Ps.: your solution would actually be more expensive than just paying the trojan bitcoin fee. (Which I actually find exceptionally low....)

That's assuming that they will actually bother to unlock your files for you. Some do, some don't. Some unlock it, you think you're safe, and then ten days later the encryption comes back, and they demand another fee.

Never pay. If nobody ever paid the fucking fee, this ransomware bullshit would long have since ceased being an issue.

11. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 15, 2017, 20:45 RedEye9

Ozmodan wrote on May 15, 2017, 14:32:
The only thing wrong with windows XP are the dumbasses still running it. I have had several calls from people who got this ransomeware and all of them were running XP. I tell all of them to at least get Windows 7 and if their computer cannot support it, get a new one.

Most of the concern was pictures they had on their computer. There are so many cloud storage options out there, including sites like Shutterfly who do not charge for storage that I just do not feel sorry for them.

You wanna move 70gb of pictures, often imaged in RAW and at absurd resolutions to cloud storage? I think you never experienced the true horror of a family support call. Half of em don't even know what a resolution is. Heck most of em don't even know where their photos ARE.

I would hate to pay criminals but I see your point.
I like some of the services for $5/month like backblaze.
Shit get's encrypted, download it again or for a fee they will ship you your stuff on a thumbdrive.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

10. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 15, 2017, 20:20 HorrorScope

Most of the concern was pictures they had on their computer. There are so many cloud storage options out there, including sites like Shutterfly who do not charge for storage that I just do not feel sorry for them.

Right if it is for things like that, these people of all people, should have had a light bulb go off in their heads... I need to get my photos on the cloud, NOW!

9. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 15, 2017, 18:07 eRe4s3r

The only thing wrong with windows XP are the dumbasses still running it. I have had several calls from people who got this ransomeware and all of them were running XP. I tell all of them to at least get Windows 7 and if their computer cannot support it, get a new one.

You wanna move 70gb of pictures, often imaged in RAW and at absurd resolutions to cloud storage? I think you never experienced the true horror of a family support call. Half of em don't even know what a resolution is. Heck most of em don't even know where their photos ARE.

8. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 15, 2017, 16:23 Cutter

MS openly spys on people and they're bitching about government doing it? Fucking lol.

And yeah, sure they'll end it. Fucking politicians are the same everywhere. It was like when Stephen Harper's neocons were waiting in the wings here. One of their big promises was scrapping politicians pensions - long a major sore point in this country as they're so exorbitant. And of course as soon as they got into office that went right out the window pretty much along with everything else they said they'd do. I still don't understand how any of that is remotely legal.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 15, 2017, 14:39 Ozmodan

Brazor wrote on May 15, 2017, 12:08:
Both parties benefit from spying on people. Until enough of their constituents complain, they'll do whatever they or the people giving them campaign money want.

As for XP and the exploit. This will not cause companies to upgrade, Especially hospitals. All the software they use for their medical equipment was custom built for that equipment and won't work on any other OS. It's cheaper for the hospitals to wipe all the computers and reinstall the images they have stored.

I worked in a lab with many such systems. The trick is that you make sure none of them are running on the network and just ignore the nonsense that they need access to the data on the network. You force them to use removable media. That works in all cases and while more time consuming, far safer! We had 17 systems running XP because of preprietary software and got all of them off the network. The only way we allowed any networking was if the computers were in a separate network not connected to the internet.

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 15, 2017, 14:32 Ozmodan

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 15, 2017, 12:35 HorrorScope

Brazor wrote on May 15, 2017, 12:08:
Both parties benefit from spying on people. Until enough of their constituents complain, they'll do whatever they or the people giving them campaign money want.

As for XP and the exploit. This will not cause companies to upgrade, Especially hospitals. All the software they use for their medical equipment was custom built for that equipment and won't work on any other OS. It's cheaper for the hospitals to wipe all the computers and reinstall the images they have stored.

The problem is much deeper than XP though, I have customers asking me questions. Telling them March's Security Update has a fix in it for 7-10... They get back to me for instance... "I haven't rec'd an update since 2012". Well... you have Updates off or broken. How many millions of those systems exist? On my personal pc's, I do have Updates off, but then again I clone all my systems to an external drive, so I can recover without issue and this is home vs biz.

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 15, 2017, 12:08 Brazor

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 15, 2017, 11:58 Creston

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on May 15, 2017, 11:24:
Yay NSA.

Also, Dems, you guys promised the same thing when Obama was in the White House, and last year the NSA snooped on 156 million Americans' phone records.

Talk is cheap. DO something.

Oh wait, what am I saying... It's the government. Talking is all they do.

FYI You do realize the Lib Dems they are talking about are the British government variety?

On this side of the pond, I haven't seen any Repubs fixing this problem either.

I just now realized that, when I got around to reading the article. Hehe. :-oops-:

Here in the US, clearly nobody gives a shit about government snooping anymore.

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 15, 2017, 11:24 UttiniDaKilrJawa

Yay NSA.

Also, Dems, you guys promised the same thing when Obama was in the White House, and last year the NSA snooped on 156 million Americans' phone records.

FYI You do realize the Lib Dems they are talking about are the British government variety?

On this side of the pond, I haven't seen any Repubs fixing this problem either.

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 15, 2017, 10:54 Creston

Yay NSA.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo