Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Alan Wake Sunset Sale

Remedy Entertainment tweets that Alan Wake will go on sale tomorrow on Steam with a 90% discount. They explain that this is a fire sale for a couple of days before the game is removed from sale due to expiring music licenses: "Alan Wake sale on @steam_games 90% discount starting 5/13. Game will be removed from stores after 5/15 due to expiring music licenses." This post has further details, including word that they are working on finding a remedy for this situation:

The music licenses for Alan Wake are expiring. As a result, the game is going to be taken out of physical and digital retail. Alan Wake’s American Nightmare will stay in retail. We're having a 90% off “Sunset Sale” for Alan Wake on Steam 13.–15.5.2017

QUESTIONS & ANSWERS

What exactly is being discounted

The Alan Wake Franchise including Alan Wake, all DLC, Alan Wake’s American Nightmare

Will you bring Alan Wake back to stores?
We are looking into relicensing the music for Alan Wake, but have no timeframe for this.

What happens to Alan Wake’s American Nightmare / Will other Alan Wake SKU’s also disappear?
Alan Wake’s American Nightmare will remain in stores. Remedy negotiated the music licensing for Alan Wake’s American Nightmare, we did not negotiate the licensing for Alan Wake’s licensed music.

Why does the discount differ in some stores?
Remedy and Microsoft cannot control how individual stores want to price the game. Remedy can only control pricing on Steam.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 14, 2017, 12:07 Acleacius

NetHead wrote on May 14, 2017, 11:06:
Valid criticisms, I also dislike checkpoint saving, odd 3rd person view. The game also has other problems and had many more when new.

Though even back then pushing past the start and putting up with those things it was a really good game. Some great scary and intense moments. At this discount price it's more than worth it.

With the exception of American Nightmare, which is a total load of crap. The whole thing is a blatantly poor, shoddy, cheap, DLC area that they make you run around in, back and forth, over and over while nothing really happens. I'm not sure I could recommend that at free.

Gtk thanks, in case I do buy, main game only.

“It’s a sad day for America when people believe women,” The Drumpf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 14, 2017, 11:06 NetHead

Valid criticisms, I also dislike checkpoint saving, odd 3rd person view. The game also has other problems and had many more when new.

Though even back then pushing past the start and putting up with those things it was a really good game. Some great scary and intense moments. At this discount price it's more than worth it.

With the exception of American Nightmare, which is a total load of crap. The whole thing is a blatantly poor, shoddy, cheap, DLC area that they make you run around in, back and forth, over and over while nothing really happens. I'm not sure I could recommend that at free.

30. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 14, 2017, 06:25 jimeh

I haven't tried it with a controller yet. I think other games might have a crosshair on screen for you to focus on, but it seems like the xhair in AlanWake is your flashlight but its not in the centre of the screen. I'll give it a try with controller later, thanks.  

29. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 14, 2017, 02:32 Acleacius

Just an fyi, GOG is offering the same deal as Steam. Still haven't pulled the trigger on this due to the consolitis gameplay. After reading all the reviews, it's sort of shocking they never fixed the broken 3rd person view. I mean people say, you literally can't walk in a forward/strait line. Ucrazy  

28. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 13, 2017, 21:14 MacLeod

Flatline wrote on May 13, 2017, 19:52:
The game was fun. Weird but fun. And it was written with a sequel in mind but it never materialized.

Even more frustrating is that in the beginning level of Quantum Break, they put in a television that, when you turn it on, plays a trailer for an Alan Wake sequel. That's just rubbing salt in the wound.

27. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 13, 2017, 20:27 Xero

jimeh wrote on May 13, 2017, 16:50:
word of warning: I picked this up and its got a very confusing 3rd person perspective where the player is off to the side which makes it sort of hard to walk in a straight line or know where you're looking.

Aren't other 3rd person games use the same style? Dead Space? The Evil Within? I'm sure there are plenty more I can't think of right now.

Currently playing: Counter Strike Go, The Witcher 3, Shadow Tactics

26. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 13, 2017, 19:52 Flatline

word of warning: I picked this up and its got a very confusing 3rd person perspective where the player is off to the side which makes it sort of hard to walk in a straight line or know where you're looking.

Never had that problem either.

It is absolutely a controller game. Mouse and keyboard weren't as fluid as a controller. I played with both.

The game was fun. Weird but fun. And it was written with a sequel in mind but it never materialized.

I enjoyed it. I know a lot of people didn't.

25. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 13, 2017, 17:12 MacLeod

Weird... Never had an issue with this game in regards to movement.

24. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 13, 2017, 16:50 jimeh

23. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 13, 2017, 11:49 HorrorScope

The should rip the music from this and replace it with Strauss classicals.  

22. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 13, 2017, 11:43 Acleacius

MDB wrote on May 13, 2017, 10:40:
Acleacius wrote on May 13, 2017, 09:36:
Personally never played this due to consolitis and m$ boycottery. This might be the first m$ title I've played in more than a decade. I really loved Max Payne and Max Payne 2, but it still might be a bridge too far to give m$ any money.

The PC ports were self-published (and self-funded), if I'm not mistaken, so your conscience will be clear. It's definitely worth picking up at $4 if you have any interest at all.
Probably will, thanks for doubly good news.

I agree WaltC and loathe Checkpoint saves. Puke

21. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 13, 2017, 11:19 wtf_man

WaltC wrote on May 13, 2017, 10:37:
Checkpoint saves--ugh--no sale!

And side cam 3rd person which I absolutely can't stand.

Unfortunately I bought a copy a long time ago from Steam without doing my homework... played 5 minutes and deleted it. Unfortunately that was before you could get refunds from Steam.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

20. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 13, 2017, 10:40 MDB

Personally never played this due to consolitis and m$ boycottery. This might be the first m$ title I've played in more than a decade. I really loved Max Payne and Max Payne 2, but it still might be a bridge too far to give m$ any money.

The PC ports were self-published (and self-funded), if I'm not mistaken, so your conscience will be clear. It's definitely worth picking up at $4 if you have any interest at all.

19. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 13, 2017, 10:40 Beamer

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 13, 2017, 05:46:
Acleacius wrote on May 13, 2017, 02:15:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 12, 2017, 23:43:
What the hell, god damned RIAA bullshit!

Alan Wake does have some amazing music though. Time to download it from gog and burn a backup or 2.
Think you misunderstand, Steam or GOG can't take it away from you if you already own it. Well, unless I misunderstand.

They can update the game and strip music from it though.

That would take time and money remedy doesn't have.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 13, 2017, 10:37 WaltC

Checkpoint saves--ugh--no sale!  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

17. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 13, 2017, 10:28 NetHead

Alan Wake does have some amazing music though. Time to download it from gog and burn a backup or 2.
Think you misunderstand, Steam or GOG can't take it away from you if you already own it. Well, unless I misunderstand.

Well they can't really with the GOG versions thankfully, not only because they make it clear that in cases of a game being removed users get to keep them but also especially because they're DRM free downloads, no way of altering or blocking those (until you move to the wonders of a Cloud.OS)

I really dislike the though of the music license expiring on a game, thought it is something they agreed to. Still the music industry hardly leaves you much choice with them gobbling up all artists pretty much forcefully in a self perpetuating event.

16. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 13, 2017, 09:47 El Pit

Seriously, isn't that more if a court forces them to stop because they never had the rights to the music? In this case they did have rights, but lost due to not renewing costs. So they only lose the rights to sell more titles, with the music in question, correct? For example, I've still got the original Mafia on Steam, which is no longer for sale for the same reasons. Afaik, all the good music is still in the game.

I think this happened with GTA: San Andreas. Some tracks are no longer available. And not only for users who bought the game AFTER Rockstar lost the rights to use the songs.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/11/10/gta-san-andreas-steam-removes-songs/

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

15. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 13, 2017, 09:36 Acleacius

Seriously, isn't that more if a court forces them to stop because they never had the rights to the music? In this case they did have rights, but lost due to not renewing costs. So they only lose the rights to sell more titles, with the music in question, correct? For example, I've still got the original Mafia on Steam, which is no longer for sale for the same reasons. Afaik, all the good music is still in the game.

14. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 13, 2017, 06:49 Pr()ZaC

MacLeod wrote on May 13, 2017, 00:57:
Slashman wrote on May 12, 2017, 22:55:
Are The Poets of the Fall responsible for this? They had some great tracks in Alan Wake. Children of the Elder God being one of my favorites.

I was more thinking it was the licensing for the Roy Orbison and David Bowie tracks.
... And Kasabian.

13. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 13, 2017, 06:24 CJ_Parker

One of the shittiest console ports in the history of video games. Won't be missed. Good fucking riddance.  

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo