NY Times on Star Citizen

An article in the New York Times takes a look at Star Citizen, Cloud Imperium's upcoming space flight game. The article is titled "Video Game Raised $148 Million From Fans. Now It’s Raising Concerns," but it's not really as critical as that implies. The concern they raise refers to crowd-funded games that ended up disappointing backers, citing Mighty No. 9 and Clang. But their discussion of the game's extraordinary funding success expanding the project's scope uses only positive perspectives, in spite the concerns of some backers and observers that things have gone off the rails. They quote developer Chris Roberts and three mostly satisfied backers, one of whom has sunk $15,000 into the game. Here's the back-and-forth on that:
For Matthew Slattery, 18, a Star Citizen backer from South Australia, the idea of being able to play the game while it was still in development was a big draw. He has pledged about $100 to date.

“Getting to learn the process of game development, communicate with the developers and ask questions directly to the best in the field is a very rare opportunity,” Mr. Slattery said.

Clifford Zernicek, a 36-year-old designer from Houston, has pledged more than $15,000 to Star Citizen. He said he liked that the development of the game “isn’t behind closed doors, like normal publishers.”

For now, both donors are willing to wait for Star Citizen — even though its initial release of 2014 was pushed back to 2016, and has been pushed back again. It now has no set release date.

Even so, gamers know Mr. Roberts is adding more features to the game. Mr. Roberts said he was investing in film-level graphics for Star Citizen, as well as building an ever-increasing universe with multiple solar systems and planets for players to explore — all rendered in elaborate detail.

“Of course I have reservations about whether or not Cloud Imperium Games can meet their goals,” said Mr. Kearns, the web designer in Chicago. But he added that “after a few updates and patches, I considered my pledge money well spent and anything else that came from the game was a bonus."
View : : :
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Re: NY Times on Star Citizen
May 17, 2017, 11:45
Re: Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 17, 2017, 11:45
May 17, 2017, 11:45

nostalgia... fun times the wing commander series..
star citizen.. *shrug* will see it when it comes out.. hope its good though not feeling any hype atm.

Re: NY Times on Star Citizen
May 17, 2017, 09:26
Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 17, 2017, 09:26
May 17, 2017, 09:26

VaranDragon wrote on May 11, 2017, 05:14:
RedEye9 wrote on May 10, 2017, 22:25:
Another Star Citizen article, another day closer to a finished game. Nothing to see here.

You are one of the more reasonable people here on blues. Yet you still believe that CR & Co. are going to finish this game. Without even going into the Persistent Universe "setbacks", where is Squadron42?

Also this article from the NYT has really shown how low investigative journalism has fallen. No one does any research, no one asks the difficult questions, no one gives a shit about the regular guy on the street as long as the moneymen are kept satisfied.

Hey, now. Don't impugn the good name of the NY Times. They did do research. They read Reddit.
COVID infections: 133M - - - COVID deaths: 3M - - - Death rate: 2%
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.

May 17, 2017, 09:23
Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 17, 2017, 09:23
May 17, 2017, 09:23

mlw wrote on May 10, 2017, 22:39:
Fools and their money are soon parted. I pledged $30. Perhaps some year in the future i'll get my moneys worth.

Haven't you already?
COVID infections: 133M - - - COVID deaths: 3M - - - Death rate: 2%
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.

Re: Out of the Blue
May 12, 2017, 08:53
Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2017, 08:53
May 12, 2017, 08:53

Rigs wrote on May 12, 2017, 06:16:
*takes his fan and goes home*

Another Star Citizen article, another day closer to a finished game. Nothing to see here.

You are one of the more reasonable people here on blues.

You, good sir, are on crack! He's about as deluded as the rest of us.

=-Rigs-=
=-LOL-=
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Re: Out of the Blue
May 12, 2017, 06:16
Rigs

Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2017, 06:16
May 12, 2017, 06:16
 Rigs

*takes his fan and goes home*

You are one of the more reasonable people here on blues.

You, good sir, are on crack! He's about as deluded as the rest of us.

=-Rigs-=
"...you're always 'Winner!' with BIG ****** RIGS!"-James Rolfe, 'AVGN'
"...for that, we salute you, you big glorious ****** RIGS!"-Matt McMuscles, 'Wha Happun?!'

May 11, 2017, 18:24
Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 11, 2017, 18:24
May 11, 2017, 18:24

Beamer wrote on May 11, 2017, 18:00:
VaranDragon wrote on May 11, 2017, 16:37:
Beamer wrote on May 11, 2017, 15:33:
Also this article from the NYT has really shown how low investigative journalism has fallen. No one does any research, no one asks the difficult questions, no one gives a shit about the regular guy on the street as long as the moneymen are kept satisfied.

About 30 people that read the NYT care about this. How much time, effort, and resources do you expect them to dedicate to this? And who is going to answer the questions people want answered? By now, most people here should realize that you never get any real answers about what's going on in the development of a game because the industry is tiny and devs know that opening their mouth to the press is a surefire way to make sure the next project they're working on is a municipal sewage plant, because once you have the reputation of leaking negative information to the press no one will work with you again.

So you're saying what exactly? Because it's hard no one should even try? Because it's a small industry (but a billion dollar one nonetheless) it's OKAY to let things slide? Because no one is going to get hurt, at worst a few whales will just lose a few thousand dollars, let Cloud Imperium get on with it and hope for the best?

If a well respected, non gaming news outlet, did some real investigative journalism and came up with a story, that things are going in the right direction I would be the first one to eat my words. This one does nothing of the sort.

No, I'm saying that there are far, far, far bigger issues out there, and there are other issues which may not be as big but are far more important to their reader base, so dedicating resources to something that literally no one gives a shit about is stupid to the point of being irresponsible.

This is a minor story, not a hard hitting expose. I think the biggest issue with the relationship the media has with readers these days is so many think everything should be in-depth, yet no one is willing to pay for it. How much did you pay the reporter of this article? Did you buy the paper? Did you subscribe online? Did you whitelist the site? Probably not. So how would they be able to afford to pay a reporter to dig deep into something about 30 people care about?
Yep, gotta agree w/Beamer on this. The article was not titled Earth Shattering Expose over EA Game.
And if anyone gets "hurt" over a video game not coming out on time or how much money they put into it, well you can just chalk that up to one of lifes many lessons.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

May 11, 2017, 18:00
Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 11, 2017, 18:00
May 11, 2017, 18:00

About 30 people that read the NYT care about this. How much time, effort, and resources do you expect them to dedicate to this? And who is going to answer the questions people want answered? By now, most people here should realize that you never get any real answers about what's going on in the development of a game because the industry is tiny and devs know that opening their mouth to the press is a surefire way to make sure the next project they're working on is a municipal sewage plant, because once you have the reputation of leaking negative information to the press no one will work with you again.

So you're saying what exactly? Because it's hard no one should even try? Because it's a small industry (but a billion dollar one nonetheless) it's OKAY to let things slide? Because no one is going to get hurt, at worst a few whales will just lose a few thousand dollars, let Cloud Imperium get on with it and hope for the best?

If a well respected, non gaming news outlet, did some real investigative journalism and came up with a story, that things are going in the right direction I would be the first one to eat my words. This one does nothing of the sort.

No, I'm saying that there are far, far, far bigger issues out there, and there are other issues which may not be as big but are far more important to their reader base, so dedicating resources to something that literally no one gives a shit about is stupid to the point of being irresponsible.

This is a minor story, not a hard hitting expose. I think the biggest issue with the relationship the media has with readers these days is so many think everything should be in-depth, yet no one is willing to pay for it. How much did you pay the reporter of this article? Did you buy the paper? Did you subscribe online? Did you whitelist the site? Probably not. So how would they be able to afford to pay a reporter to dig deep into something about 30 people care about?

May 11, 2017, 17:44
Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 11, 2017, 17:44
May 11, 2017, 17:44

Have some self control Mr.Roberts. Even tough the gamers are leaned over and willing just stop. The time has come to drop the IPad and back away from the table. Trying out instruments ? Obviously you need to care and stoping doing all people in the thread up the watosie. Mr.Roberts can you hear me? Biotech.
DON'T LIKE MY COMMENTS?!? THEN STOP RELEASING GARBAGE.

May 11, 2017, 17:07
Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 11, 2017, 17:07
May 11, 2017, 17:07

When you put it that way... it kind of does sound like you're in la la land. You seem to want them to do some kind of Flint, Michigan expose, with the possibility that at the end of the investigation their riveting conclusion is that this project is behind schedule and may not fulfill all the promises in the original pitch. Oh noes.

What are the hard questions you want answered? What kind of results do you want out of a hard-hitting investigation? Are you really expecting a well-respected, non-gaming news outlet to print an article featuring a history of the Star Marine module, or are you expecting them to go undercover and discover a project timeline that lays out how they're going to run out of money and never release anything?

May 11, 2017, 16:37
Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 11, 2017, 16:37
May 11, 2017, 16:37

May 11, 2017, 15:33
Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 11, 2017, 15:33
May 11, 2017, 15:33

May 11, 2017, 13:31
Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 11, 2017, 13:31
May 11, 2017, 13:31

Cutter wrote on May 11, 2017, 10:00:

Uh no they don't. The controversy is already there. He said he was going to do one thing and he's doing another. Point in fact, he keeps constantly moving the goalposts in order to string people along and raise more money when all he was supposed to do was release a new Wing Commander style game...several years ago at that. And after all this time and money he has very little to show for it. That's akin to a Ponzi scheme. Promise people the moon, keep stringing them along, keep asking for money. If that isn't controversial I don't know what the
fuck is. Stop rationalizing your fanboyism.

You have any proof of that? You're just stating your opinion that when you see them make a change in development of Star Citizen, you assume it's to "string people along". Without a recording of a boardroom discussion, or private company emails that detail such a deliberate strategy, you may as well say that about EVERY company that ever existed because that's just how businesses operate on a daily basis, moron. Plans change. Goals are raised. So fucking what? Are you saying that they're not allowed to change their minds about their own product? What CONTRACT did you fucking sign with them that restricts them to providing only the product that you THINK you should receive? You, a bug on the windshield of life. Just because you THINK you know why they make changes, doesn't make it a fact, and your accusations of illegal activity without any actual evidence, is borderlining on slander.

May 11, 2017, 10:08
Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 11, 2017, 10:08
May 11, 2017, 10:08

VaranDragon wrote on May 11, 2017, 09:16:
SpectralMeat wrote on May 11, 2017, 09:10:
I don't know why you guys are concerned. If anyone people like that guy with the 15 grand investment should be concerned.

We could have had 10 indy space sims for the cash that Roberts took in, or an AAA Tie Fighter 2 with proper Lucasarts production values.

I give a shit because this is my favorite genre in gaming, and if this thing never sees the light of day it will result in a whole lot of disgruntled people who will never Kickstart another space sim again. I don't know if an AAA publisher will even attempt one while this is in "development".
I think if this doesn't get made it will have the exact opposite effect of what you are describing.
Publishers will be like, holy crap Christ Robert was able to preach up so much money for promises? Shit we can do better than that.

Again I understand where you are coming from but as long as those with large investments in this project keep being apologestic with Roberts and noone holds him to any sort of timeline to deliver something, there isn't much you and I can do but hope this will see a light of day.

However after a while all that excitement wears off and I just simply do not care much for it anymore until I see something that can remotely be called a game. Specifically SQ42. I really don't give a flying shit about this MMO crap Roberts is building
Steam: SpectralMeat

May 11, 2017, 10:00
Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 11, 2017, 10:00
May 11, 2017, 10:00

loomy wrote on May 10, 2017, 22:55:
for there to be an actual controversy they need to release the game and have it be bad. these people complaining about a game that's in development being incomplete are tautological morons

Uh no they don't. The controversy is already there. He said he was going to do one thing and he's doing another. Point in fact, he keeps constantly moving the goalposts in order to string people along and raise more money when all he was supposed to do was release a new Wing Commander style game...several years ago at that. And after all this time and money he has very little to show for it. That's akin to a Ponzi scheme. Promise people the moon, keep stringing them along, keep asking for money. If that isn't controversial I don't know what the
fuck is. Stop rationalizing your fanboyism.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

May 11, 2017, 09:16
Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 11, 2017, 09:16
May 11, 2017, 09:16

SpectralMeat wrote on May 11, 2017, 09:10:
I don't know why you guys are concerned. If anyone people like that guy with the 15 grand investment should be concerned.

We could have had 10 indy space sims for the cash that Roberts took in, or an AAA Tie Fighter 2 with proper Lucasarts production values.

I give a shit because this is my favorite genre in gaming, and if this thing never sees the light of day it will result in a whole lot of disgruntled people who will never Kickstart another space sim again. I don't know if an AAA publisher will even attempt one while this is in "development".

May 11, 2017, 09:10
Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 11, 2017, 09:10
May 11, 2017, 09:10

Steam: SpectralMeat

May 11, 2017, 08:50
Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 11, 2017, 08:50
May 11, 2017, 08:50

For now, both donors are willing to wait for Star Citizen

Well, what other choice do they have?

May 11, 2017, 08:00
Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 11, 2017, 08:00
May 11, 2017, 08:00

You really know that the NYT is no longer the gold standard for USA journalism, when they basically just reprint press releases from con man Roberts.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

May 11, 2017, 05:14
Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 11, 2017, 05:14
May 11, 2017, 05:14

You are one of the more reasonable people here on blues. Yet you still believe that CR & Co. are going to finish this game. Without even going into the Persistent Universe "setbacks", where is Squadron42?

Re: Re: NY Times on Star Citizen
May 11, 2017, 03:55
sir
Re: Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 11, 2017, 03:55
May 11, 2017, 03:55
sir

"A sentient, massive entity which threatened Earth in 2271, en route to find its "Creator." In doing so, W'Cer destroyed anything it encountered by digitizing it for its memory chamber.
Generating a power field "cloud" about itself of over 22 AUs in diameter, the entity had gained sentience after unknown aliens repaired the old Earth video game that formed its core — Wing Commander IV, whose name in corrupted English gave the sentience its name.
The entity, which viewed organic lifeforms as carbon-based units "investing" in starships, later joined with Starfleet's Lt. Ilia and Cmdr. Chris Roberts and evolved into a higher, yet unknown lifeform."
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older