Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode

A new Kickstarter update for Divinity: Original Sin 2 announces details of a Game Master mode that will be part of Larian Studios' upcoming RPG sequel. This final stretch goal will allow players to roll the dice on an old-school, tabletop-style experience. This includes a new video along with details on how this will work. Here's a bit:

With Game Master Mode, we set out to create something that bridges the freedom of tabletop role-playing, and the interactivity and visual presentation of a computer RPG.

We built Game Master Mode to be as flexible as possible, so you can adapt to your friends on the fly and create a truly reactive world. Do your players want to burn down an NPC’s home? Make a pact with, rather than kill, the demonic boss? Perhaps they want to parlay with the pack of rabid wolves using pet pal? Even if you haven’t planned for it, you can adapt quickly to their choices and still deliver a story that feels real.

Whether you’re new to tabletop role-playing or an experienced GM, we’ve worked hard to make sure this is easy to pick up and intuitive to use. We also have prepared campaigns so you can jump straight in, working with a preexisting world to get a feel for the tool or, of course, you can create your own.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode May 11, 2017, 00:47 MeanJim

Darks wrote on May 10, 2017, 10:58:
Come on now MeanJim, how do you get burned out playing the game only twice in parts?

I've gone though the game several times with a few friends. I had a great time each play though. What you should have done was just moved on with that save game without your friend, if hes unreliable, then tell him you going on without him.

Its what I would have done!!

There's a difference between role playing and "playing the game." I take the RP in my RPG seriously. When I play an RPG, I like to come up with personalities for my character(s), sometimes coming up with back stories for them that help me "get into character" when I play. Continuing the MP games I started with other people and never finished, playing with their characters I would just be just playing the game and that's no fun to me. If I were going to play solo, I would want to create my own characters and start over.

I usually do play through RPGs multiple times role playing it with different characters. However, after the two failed games, there were other games that I was already playing single player, and I just never found my way back to this one.

It's not just the unfinished MP games that burned me out, there are some issues I have with the game itself that kind of bother me which don't help. Besides the RPS mini-game that I hate in SP, the dual dialog system itself has problems that kind of ruin the experience. The game doesn't keep track of which character caused a dual dialog (stealing for example). For instance, in the very beginning of the game there are a couple of possible areas where you're first introduced to the dual dialog system. One is where you find the body at the base of the cliff with the note on it where the guy thought he could fly. While playing with my friend, I found the body, picked up the note and read it. We initiate the dual dialog and his character is talking to me as if he found the note and read it. Then at the two drunk guards, he wanted to fight them and I wanted to go peacefully. He wins the argument, we fight, then the dual dialog at the end has his character saying something to my character making it sound like I started the fight. Later in town, he picks something up not realizing it was stealing and got caught. That initiates another dual dialog, and his character is telling me I shouldn't steal things when he is the one that did it. These same inconsistencies in the dual dialog happen in SP.

The idea role playing two characters and having dual dialog between them was a major selling point for me backing the game, and having it so fundamentally broken is kind of a turn off. I know you can disable the dual dialog completely, but then you miss out on the perks you get from the choices you make in them. I do still want to finish the game, the story (what I played of it) was interesting and the combat was fun. I'll just have to grit my teeth and try to ignore the badly implemented dual dialog when/if I do play it.

HorrorScope wrote on May 10, 2017, 18:10:
The enhanced version you could eliminate or change how RPS worked.

You can? I remember trying the enhanced edition when it released because it was right around the time I had injured my arm and couldn't use the mouse for gaming. The enhanced edition has controller support, which I could use and was thinking of playing it until I healed. I ran through the beginning up to reaching the first town to check if they fixed the other problems I mentioned above with the dual dialog, which they didn't. I don't remember there being a change in the RPS game. I'll have to check it out again, I never uninstalled it.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode May 10, 2017, 18:12 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on May 10, 2017, 01:50:
I've been saying almost exactly what you've just said for years now. Whoever clues in and does this will make a fucking fortune if they do it right. You just need to build the engine and the tools.

WotC has its head so far up its ass it can see daylight.

The twitch stream is basically this and they even used WOTC properties as an example and the assets are high quality, probably better than what you would see open source.

12. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode May 10, 2017, 18:10 HorrorScope

MeanJim wrote on May 10, 2017, 00:45:
Between the RPS mini-game in SP and the two failed attempts at playing it multi-player, I lost interest in playing it by myself. I still backed D:OS2 though. I thought eventually I would get around to playing and finishing D:OS on my own by D:OS2's release, but I don't know if that will happen because it keeps falling farther down my backlog list.

The enhanced version you could eliminate or change how RPS worked. I don't think it is in DOS2 at all, that whole idea left behind.

11. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode May 10, 2017, 10:58 Darks

MeanJim wrote on May 10, 2017, 10:49:
Darks wrote on May 10, 2017, 08:17:
So, how does MP ruin the game for you? If your friend doesn't show up and you cant get him on line with you, you move on and play without him. There are several save spots you know, so you can like have multiple games going at once if you want to. Please dont blame MP for your own short falls. Thats not the games fault,thats yours and your friends fault.

I didn't say it was the game's fault for having MP. All I said was the MP ruined it for me, there's a difference. As I already explained, it ruined my experience because after playing through part of it twice in MP, I was burned out and I not interest in doing it again.

What is the games fault is having the RPS mini-game in SP where it doesn't belong which ruins the whole point of role playing two characters by not letting me decide which one gets to win an argument.

Come on now MeanJim, how do you get burned out playing the game only twice in parts?

I've gone though the game several times with a few friends. I had a great time each play though. What you should have done was just moved on with that save game without your friend, if hes unreliable, then tell him you going on without him.

Its what I would have done!!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

10. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode May 10, 2017, 10:49 MeanJim

Darks wrote on May 10, 2017, 08:17:
So, how does MP ruin the game for you? If your friend doesn't show up and you cant get him on line with you, you move on and play without him. There are several save spots you know, so you can like have multiple games going at once if you want to. Please dont blame MP for your own short falls. Thats not the games fault,thats yours and your friends fault.

I didn't say it was the game's fault for having MP. All I said was the MP ruined it for me, there's a difference. As I already explained, it ruined my experience because after playing through part of it twice in MP, I was burned out and I not interest in doing it again.

What is the games fault is having the RPS mini-game in SP where it doesn't belong which ruins the whole point of role playing two characters by not letting me decide which one gets to win an argument.

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode May 10, 2017, 08:25 Acleacius

I'm in, as long as they don't break or destroy modding, as they did with Enhanced Edition.  

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

8. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode May 10, 2017, 08:17 Darks

The MP looks cool, but I'm not interested in it at all. I think I'm going to avoid it completely until I finish a solo run.

The MP ruined the first D:OS for me. I started out playing it with a friend, but our schedules changed and we never got around to finishing it. During the Kickstarter, I couldn't find a home for an extra beta key, so I activated it on my niece's Steam account. That extra beta key was supposed to expire at release, but it didn't so she got upgraded to the full game when it released. We started playing it together, but it was frustrating to play with her. She kept getting distracted wanting to wander off, break into houses and pretty much ignore the quests. She eventually lost interest leaving me with another unfinished game.

I did try to play through it once, but I didn't like the rock, paper, scissors mini-game being in single-player when your two characters had an argument. It makes sense in multi-player though. Usually we'd try to talk it out and if we came to an agreement we'd let one or the other win, otherwise we played the mini-game to decide the outcome. It ruined the role-playing in single-player because I don't get to decided which of my two characters wins the argument and instead the game takes over one character and makes me play RPS against it. I brought this up on their forums during the beta/early access period and a lot of people agreed with me, but the official response was to save scum it until I got the outcome I wanted.

Between the RPS mini-game in SP and the two failed attempts at playing it multi-player, I lost interest in playing it by myself. I still backed D:OS2 though. I thought eventually I would get around to playing and finishing D:OS on my own by D:OS2's release, but I don't know if that will happen because it keeps falling farther down my backlog list.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

7. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode May 10, 2017, 08:09 Rhett

snip

That sucks. I never finished DOS 1, but I did several runs in DOS 2 (solo and multiplayer) and it's awesome. Lots of improvements.

It's fairly easy (at least right now, with just most of act 1) to manage multiple saves at least. Certainly would only play with someone or other people that will go at your pace and respect each others' playstyles. Though this game has features where you can seperate yourself from the party and do your own thing, for some reason, but it will not affect other players if you're out of the party, whatsoever.

I can't wait for this game to come out, though I'm not sure I'd use the GM feature. Could be really cool.

6. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode May 10, 2017, 01:50 Cutter

NetHead wrote on May 9, 2017, 23:47:
HorrorScope wrote on May 9, 2017, 22:10:
Definitely interesting, perhaps something to answer the NWN call from many?

Looking at things like this and the longevity of Neverwinter Nights and other mod friendly games. I wouldn't be surprised if just making something of a SDK, a game without any game content (excluding some initial models, textures, sounds etc, maybe a campaign as an example), but supports users making not only content but also being able to be on the fly dungeon master/game master would sell damned well and have a hell of a long lifespan (would it ever actually end?)

You'd think it would be a "no brainer" for something like Wizards of the Coast, if they could ever get off their arses when it came to PC/video games. Though it could be a great success for anyone though WotC already have rulesets, settings, lore etc which they could just throw at it.

Something like that being pulled off as an open source effort would be really fantastic.

I've been saying almost exactly what you've just said for years now. Whoever clues in and does this will make a fucking fortune if they do it right. You just need to build the engine and the tools. As you said, a few short intro modules so people know what's what than cut them loose to build. And all you have to do is continually pump put new expansions every year or two with complete new tilesets, monsters, etc. etc. etc. and that keeps making you money.

WotC has its head so far up its ass it can see daylight. Those clowns have squandered the best IP there is for gaming. They could have made billions on it by now with competent ownership/management. All these missed years where they could have done way more games, MMOs, movies, etc. So many ways to tie in stuff to help other stuff, WotC management is utterly incompetent. Simply boggles the mind.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

5. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode May 10, 2017, 00:45 MeanJim

The MP looks cool, but I'm not interested in it at all. I think I'm going to avoid it completely until I finish a solo run.

The MP ruined the first D:OS for me. I started out playing it with a friend, but our schedules changed and we never got around to finishing it. During the Kickstarter, I couldn't find a home for an extra beta key, so I activated it on my niece's Steam account. That extra beta key was supposed to expire at release, but it didn't so she got upgraded to the full game when it released. We started playing it together, but it was frustrating to play with her. She kept getting distracted wanting to wander off, break into houses and pretty much ignore the quests. She eventually lost interest leaving me with another unfinished game.

I did try to play through it once, but I didn't like the rock, paper, scissors mini-game being in single-player when your two characters had an argument. It makes sense in multi-player though. Usually we'd try to talk it out and if we came to an agreement we'd let one or the other win, otherwise we played the mini-game to decide the outcome. It ruined the role-playing in single-player because I don't get to decided which of my two characters wins the argument and instead the game takes over one character and makes me play RPS against it. I brought this up on their forums during the beta/early access period and a lot of people agreed with me, but the official response was to save scum it until I got the outcome I wanted.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode May 10, 2017, 00:01 HorrorScope

It seems like that, here are 5 people playing one out:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/141398805

To me it reminds me of GM mode in Vampire Redemption but surely better. It really is table top'ish with the role playing and pace part. These guys here are pro's, voices, wit, comedy. Regular Joe's won't compare in general.

You can really go off and do what you want so the GM better be sharp. How many can handle this and willing take the time to do it up to the nines?

I'm hoping you can create a module and have it play itself well enough and then a GM can jump in to add spice if they like. But so far what I'm seeing, a GM is required and it is lite on setup and heavy on improvising. Some will totally want that, others will want it more the other way.

I probably have to be the other way due to several factors of time, coordination of friends and just wanting to do more stuff per minute, then make every inch a topic of great discussion.

But I can't fault them with their choice, seems like they are doing it well.

3. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode May 9, 2017, 23:47 NetHead

HorrorScope wrote on May 9, 2017, 22:10:

Looking at things like this and the longevity of Neverwinter Nights and other mod friendly games. I wouldn't be surprised if just making something of a SDK, a game without any game content (excluding some initial models, textures, sounds etc, maybe a campaign as an example), but supports users making not only content but also being able to be on the fly dungeon master/game master would sell damned well and have a hell of a long lifespan (would it ever actually end?)

You'd think it would be a "no brainer" for something like Wizards of the Coast, if they could ever get off their arses when it came to PC/video games. Though it could be a great success for anyone though WotC already have rulesets, settings, lore etc which they could just throw at it.

Something like that being pulled off as an open source effort would be really fantastic.

2. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode May 9, 2017, 23:27 Osc8r

Just release the damn game first!  

1. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode May 9, 2017, 22:10 HorrorScope

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo