Out of the Blue

Our efforts to get some work done to prepare for the sale of the BlueTower remain in limbo to some degree following the dismissal of our contractor. There are lots of places where good help is hard to find, but this is not one of them. However, finding good help with openings on their schedule is a whole other matter. We're continuing to work the problem, but so far this has not stopped it from being one. Keep your fingers crossed for us if you can, at this rate we're going to need it.

Working Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: SPACEPLAN.
Stories: In Pet Grooming, a Growing Business and a Competitive Landscape. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Bumble Bee agrees to plead guilty in tuna price fixing scheme. Bum, bum, bummer.
Science: U.S. life expectancy varies by more than 20 years from county to county.
Could marijuana hold a key to keeping our brains forever young? Science is starting to find out.
Media: Silence of The Lambs - Bloopers-Gag Reel. How incongruous.
Snow clearing in Norway - spectacular drone footage.
Claw Machine Fail.
Follow-up: One case of mumps illness confirmed in Whatcom County adult.
View : : :
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Emergency Monitor Recommendations
May 11, 2017, 06:59
Re: Emergency Monitor Recommendations May 11, 2017, 06:59
May 11, 2017, 06:59

RedEye9 wrote on May 10, 2017, 10:54:
MeanJim wrote on May 10, 2017, 09:58:
Pigeon wrote on May 10, 2017, 08:27:
Well you can always get a free-sync monitor knowing you won't be using the free-sync part. Also 1080p monitors are cheap right now, so you could pick one up as a close gap till the 1440p market produces something you're interested in. Plus you'd have a spare/secondary monitor.

I've thought about that too, but since I'm spending money I might as well upgrade. Right now I'm leaning toward a 1440p 60Hz monitor. Sticking with 60Hz is half the cost of a whatever-sync monitor. I don't even know if 144Hz would benefit me since I don't play twitchy competitive multi-player games anymore. I'm sure it would still give a better experience in single-player games by having more responsive controls, but is it worth the price?

BTW, I left my system on overnight with the monitor sleep disabled, but I hate doing that. I'm really paranoid about leaving my system on when I'm asleep or not at home. I used to only turn it off when I was asleep because the noise and LEDs bothered me. I used to turn it on in the morning and leave it on until I went to bed, but a few years ago about 5 minutes after getting home, smoke and flames started pouring out of my PSU. I was going to pick up food on my way home, but the line at the place I was going to stop at was long so I just went straight home instead. I don't think I would have had anything to come home to if I did decide to stop and wait in that line.
Probably a lot more than you want to spend.
Acer Predator XB1 27 Inch IPS 165hz @costco $599 w/GSYNC normally $682-799.

edit: nvrm
The post I linked to is 2 months old, it still has some monitor info you might find useful.

I have that monitor. It is awesome.

May 10, 2017, 10:54
Re: Emergency Monitor Recommendations May 10, 2017, 10:54
May 10, 2017, 10:54

MeanJim wrote on May 10, 2017, 09:58:
Well you can always get a free-sync monitor knowing you won't be using the free-sync part. Also 1080p monitors are cheap right now, so you could pick one up as a close gap till the 1440p market produces something you're interested in. Plus you'd have a spare/secondary monitor.

I've thought about that too, but since I'm spending money I might as well upgrade. Right now I'm leaning toward a 1440p 60Hz monitor. Sticking with 60Hz is half the cost of a whatever-sync monitor. I don't even know if 144Hz would benefit me since I don't play twitchy competitive multi-player games anymore. I'm sure it would still give a better experience in single-player games by having more responsive controls, but is it worth the price?

BTW, I left my system on overnight with the monitor sleep disabled, but I hate doing that. I'm really paranoid about leaving my system on when I'm asleep or not at home. I used to only turn it off when I was asleep because the noise and LEDs bothered me. I used to turn it on in the morning and leave it on until I went to bed, but a few years ago about 5 minutes after getting home, smoke and flames started pouring out of my PSU. I was going to pick up food on my way home, but the line at the place I was going to stop at was long so I just went straight home instead. I don't think I would have had anything to come home to if I did decide to stop and wait in that line.
Probably a lot more than you want to spend.
Acer Predator XB1 27 Inch IPS 165hz @costco $599 w/GSYNC normally $682-799.

edit: nvrm
The post I linked to is 2 months old, it still has some monitor info you might find useful.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

May 10, 2017, 09:58
Re: Emergency Monitor Recommendations May 10, 2017, 09:58
May 10, 2017, 09:58

"You can either want something to be true, or you can want the truth. Pick one." - Mr. Diety

Re: Out of the Blue
May 10, 2017, 09:49
Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2017, 09:49
May 10, 2017, 09:49

Retired wrote on May 10, 2017, 05:28:
If I add up all the time a contractor was here it is only about 16 hours (plumbing, electrical, general). Otherwise I did majority of it.

My $25k bathroom will end up costing about $6k.

That being said, the delay is because of the way I chose to have it done. To me, it is worth it.
Well done. I wish I had your drive. I could do the other bathroom and get rid of all the popcorn ceilings... but it just isn't in me...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Re: Happy Birthday Wolfenstein 3D
May 10, 2017, 09:48
Re: Happy Birthday Wolfenstein 3D May 10, 2017, 09:48
May 10, 2017, 09:48

jdreyer wrote on May 10, 2017, 02:48:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 9, 2017, 21:23:
descender wrote on May 9, 2017, 20:28:
IIRC, firing Cox was what started the cascade of leaks against Nixon that got him impeached.
Ahh, I remembered it was all falling apart already when it happened, but thinking about it some your recollection makes a bit more sense...
Certainly firing Cox threw up all sorts of red flags, but what sunk him were the tapes.

That being said, at least Nixon was as intelligent and accomplished as he was corrupt. Trump is just corrupt. And stupid.
You might just be my brother.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

May 10, 2017, 08:27
Re: Emergency Monitor Recommendations May 10, 2017, 08:27
May 10, 2017, 08:27

MeanJim wrote on May 9, 2017, 23:54:
Pigeon wrote on May 9, 2017, 19:47:
I've been thinking of making a similar move. Gsync is better, though I don't know...

I saw that video a few days ago. I used to alternate between nvidia and AMD because they used to be closely matched and it just happened that when it was time to upgrade my GPU, it was the other brand that was winning. My last 4 GPUs have been nvidia though. The last time it wasn't by choice though. I bought an AMD, I forget the numbering (I think it was 47xx). After I put the card in, I saw the POST then my monitor just went to standby as the system booted up. I returned the card thinking it was defective, but the replacement was the same. I read on some forums of some people having the same issue with the card only when using DVI, so I tried the VGA port and it worked. I tried different DVI cables as suggested, but I couldn't get it to work with my monitor. I returned it and got the nvidia equivalent at the time (GTX 260 I think) which was more expensive for slightly less performance.

Since then nvidia was always the best performer for the price when it was time to upgrade. I'm still not sure I want to get a g-sync display and lock myself into nvidia cards given that I don't upgrade my display that often.

It seems like every high refresh rate display has either g-sync or free-sync in it. I haven't found a simple 1440p 144hz display without either. I've been looking all night and haven't been able to decide on something. I hate making a rush purchase, and I'm out of time now. I need to go to bed and I have to decide if I'm going to shut my system down and hope the monitor comes on tomorrow or leave the whole thing running just to keep the display powered on.

May 10, 2017, 05:28
Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2017, 05:28
May 10, 2017, 05:28

Mr. Tact wrote on May 9, 2017, 20:24:
Retired wrote on May 9, 2017, 19:57:
Bathroom project is stalled out. Tile people either don't show at all or won't return messages......
Bummer. I have to say, I definitely paid near the top end for my bathroom remodel, but at least it went well at every step of the process. ($30k for a strip to the studs, replace everything)

That is about what mine WOULD HAVE cost had I not done most of it myself. I raised the ceiling about 3 feet as well.

If I add up all the time a contractor was here it is only about 16 hours (plumbing, electrical, general). Otherwise I did majority of it.

My $25k bathroom will end up costing about $6k.

That being said, the delay is because of the way I chose to have it done. To me, it is worth it.

May 10, 2017, 02:48
Re: Happy Birthday Wolfenstein 3D May 10, 2017, 02:48
May 10, 2017, 02:48

Mr. Tact wrote on May 9, 2017, 21:23:
IIRC, firing Cox was what started the cascade of leaks against Nixon that got him impeached.
Ahh, I remembered it was all falling apart already when it happened, but thinking about it some your recollection makes a bit more sense...
Certainly firing Cox threw up all sorts of red flags, but what sunk him were the tapes.

That being said, at least Nixon was as intelligent and accomplished as he was corrupt. Trump is just corrupt. And stupid.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Re: Unrelated
May 10, 2017, 00:56
Prez

Re: Unrelated May 10, 2017, 00:56
May 10, 2017, 00:56
 Prez

Back to the golf course again for the Rangers. Dammit.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 9, 2017, 23:54
Re: Emergency Monitor Recommendations May 9, 2017, 23:54
May 9, 2017, 23:54

Pigeon wrote on May 9, 2017, 19:47:
I've been thinking of making a similar move. Gsync is better, though I don't know how noticeably better, and the quality control is better. Apparently there are varying degrees as to how well monitor manufactures implement free-sync. On the other hand free-sync is about ~$200-$250 cheaper and should be a noticeable step up form what you have. There was a video posted a few days back doing, sort of, an apples to apples comparison between the two.

I'm kind of waiting for the 2nd gen of 1440p IPS G-sync displays to come out. Ideally I'd like to see one with HDR and the backlight bleed issues taken care of. Unfortunately the monitor manufactures seem to be pushing 4k right now for gaming monitors, so I'm not sure how much love 1440p is going to get. The only 2nd gen 1440p monitor I've seen announced was from Acer, and had a curved screen and eye-tracking, both things I have little interest in. Anyways I'm feeling ya, the adaptive sync market is a bit wonky right now, and the idea of dropping $800 on a monitor where features can only be used with one brand of video card has stopped me from pulling the trigger numerous times.

EDIT: Here's the Link that was posted on blues a few days ago.
EDIT 2: And to add to the confusion FreeSync 2 is now a thing.

I saw that video a few days ago. I used to alternate between nvidia and AMD because they used to be closely matched and it just happened that when it was time to upgrade my GPU, it was the other brand that was winning. My last 4 GPUs have been nvidia though. The last time it wasn't by choice though. I bought an AMD, I forget the numbering (I think it was 47xx). After I put the card in, I saw the POST then my monitor just went to standby as the system booted up. I returned the card thinking it was defective, but the replacement was the same. I read on some forums of some people having the same issue with the card only when using DVI, so I tried the VGA port and it worked. I tried different DVI cables as suggested, but I couldn't get it to work with my monitor. I returned it and got the nvidia equivalent at the time (GTX 260 I think) which was more expensive for slightly less performance.

Since then nvidia was always the best performer for the price when it was time to upgrade. I'm still not sure I want to get a g-sync display and lock myself into nvidia cards given that I don't upgrade my display that often.

It seems like every high refresh rate display has either g-sync or free-sync in it. I haven't found a simple 1440p 144hz display without either. I've been looking all night and haven't been able to decide on something. I hate making a rush purchase, and I'm out of time now. I need to go to bed and I have to decide if I'm going to shut my system down and hope the monitor comes on tomorrow or leave the whole thing running just to keep the display powered on.
"You can either want something to be true, or you can want the truth. Pick one." - Mr. Diety

May 9, 2017, 22:39
Quboid

Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2017, 22:39
May 9, 2017, 22:39
 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on May 9, 2017, 20:40:
jdreyer wrote on May 9, 2017, 18:30:
Comey is out. Very Nixonian.
donny fired the one person who single handedly got him elected.

I wonder who Vladimir is going to put in his place, Michael Flynn maybe?

Comey interfering in the election put a big target on his back and he outlived his usefulness. He played the game of thrones and he lost. Trump firing someone who is investigating him, on the advice of someone who couldn't investigate him because he himself was compromised, is a ballsy move.

Weird how Trump's non-existent Russia ties are causing him so much trouble.

May 9, 2017, 21:23
Re: Happy Birthday Wolfenstein 3D May 9, 2017, 21:23
May 9, 2017, 21:23

May 9, 2017, 20:40
Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2017, 20:40
May 9, 2017, 20:40

donny fired the one person who single handedly got him elected.

I wonder who Vladimir is going to put in his place, Michael Flynn maybe?

May 9, 2017, 20:28
Re: Happy Birthday Wolfenstein 3D May 9, 2017, 20:28
May 9, 2017, 20:28

Which Nixon mistake are you referring to?

IIRC, firing Cox was what started the cascade of leaks against Nixon that got him impeached. He was already under investigation, but the move to fire the FBI director caused more people to come forward.

Now you've got me wondering if I am remembering correctly /scurries off to learn more

May 9, 2017, 20:24
Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2017, 20:24
May 9, 2017, 20:24

Retired wrote on May 9, 2017, 19:57:
Bathroom project is stalled out. Tile people either don't show at all or won't return messages......
Bummer. I have to say, I definitely paid near the top end for my bathroom remodel, but at least it went well at every step of the process. ($30k for a strip to the studs, replace everything)

May 9, 2017, 20:22
Re: Happy Birthday Wolfenstein 3D May 9, 2017, 20:22
May 9, 2017, 20:22

descender wrote on May 9, 2017, 18:47:
The question is really... will it be the same mistake that Nixon made? There's always hope.
Which Nixon mistake are you referring to?

May 9, 2017, 19:57
Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2017, 19:57
May 9, 2017, 19:57

However, finding good help with openings on their schedule is a whole other matter.

May 9, 2017, 19:47
Re: Emergency Monitor Recommendations May 9, 2017, 19:47
May 9, 2017, 19:47

MeanJim wrote on May 9, 2017, 18:00:
My current monitor has been acting up for a while. Sometimes when it wakes up on after being in standby for a while, the left side of the screen flickers, but it always stopped after a minute.

I've been putting off getting a new one for a while as it's never been more than a little flicker for a bit every now and then, but just now it had only been off (standby) for an hour or so. When I woke it up, it flickered for a few seconds, then the bottom left corner went dark. Luckily turning it off and back on lit it back up, but now I really need to get a new one before this one gets worse since I don't have a backup.

I hoped this one would last a while longer until some sort of standard came out of GSync and FreeSync, but it appears that won't happen. I currently have a 24" 1080p 60Hz display. I'm thinking of going up to 27" 1440p and 144Hz. I just built a new machine, but kept my old GPU (GTX 970) since it could run everything I have maxed out at 1080p 60fps. I'm a bit concerned that the GTX 970 can't handle some games at that 1440p and upscaling generally looks like shit.

I'm not loyal to nvidia or AMD, but I'd hate to lock myself into one brand by buying a GSync or FreeSync monitor. So this is kind of where I've been stuck in my decision making process. I can just grab a 24" 1080p monitor a lot cheaper and wait for some sort of xSync standard, or go ahead and upgrade now to a larger, higher resolution, higher refresh display with GSync (since I'm already on nvidia).

I've been thinking of making a similar move. Gsync is better, though I don't know how noticeably better, and the quality control is better. Apparently there are varying degrees as to how well monitor manufactures implement free-sync. On the other hand free-sync is about ~$200-$250 cheaper and should be a noticeable step up form what you have. There was a video posted a few days back doing, sort of, an apples to apples comparison between the two.

I'm kind of waiting for the 2nd gen of 1440p IPS G-sync displays to come out. Ideally I'd like to see one with HDR and the backlight bleed issues taken care of. Unfortunately the monitor manufactures seem to be pushing 4k right now for gaming monitors, so I'm not sure how much love 1440p is going to get. The only 2nd gen 1440p monitor I've seen announced was from Acer, and had a curved screen and eye-tracking, both things I have little interest in. Anyways I'm feeling ya, the adaptive sync market is a bit wonky right now, and the idea of dropping $800 on a monitor where features can only be used with one brand of video card has stopped me from pulling the trigger numerous times.

EDIT: Here's the Link that was posted on blues a few days ago.
EDIT 2: And to add to the confusion FreeSync 2 is now a thing.

This comment was edited on May 9, 2017, 20:03.

May 9, 2017, 18:47
Re: Happy Birthday Wolfenstein 3D May 9, 2017, 18:47
May 9, 2017, 18:47

The question is really... will it be the same mistake that Nixon made? There's always hope.

May 9, 2017, 18:30
Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2017, 18:30
May 9, 2017, 18:30

If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older