Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We actually made it to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and had a terrific time. This was in spite of the whole outing seeming like a disaster at first. It took longer to get out the door than expected after a delay in buying tickets in advance (we didn't want to get caught at a sold-out show but I also didn't want to get them too far in advance because of that plans-changing risk I mentioned). Then a tremendous thunderstorm broke as we were on the way, slowing our progress with zero-visibility driving, while adding guilt that the Gunnar-man was enduring this on his own. We were still on the road at 8:27 for an 8:30 showing, and concern was growing we might be too late for the beginning of the movie, much less for concessions. But we suddenly started making better time and arrived by 8:32 and there was no line for treats. The last potential problem was that the only seats we found at first were literally in the front row, but we had time to reevaluate, and not only were the new seats we found perfectly fine, they were at the front of a section, so we had unlimited legroom. When it was all said and done, it was a great experience, as this was as quiet and respectful an audience as you could hope for, in spite of all the youngsters involved. As for the movie, I understand the critique that it isn't a fresh take after the first one, but I loved it. I should offer some disclaimers: I like movies in general, so I'm not the best critic. I also love old Marvel comics, so I am not impartial. Finally, I don't think it's possible for me to dislike a movie featuring Elizabeth Debicki.

R.I.P.: Matt Furie celebrated yesterday's Free Comic Book Day by killing off Pepe the Frog.

Guarded Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Dining Zoo.
Story: 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2'- How It Beat Marvel's Sequel Curse.
Media: Chris Pine Monologue - SNL.
Wildlife, biggest puzzle in the world in stop motion. Thanks Hypothermia.
Has Reservoir Dogs Aged Well? NSFW.
The Funnies: Get Around To It « EXTRALIFE.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 21:40  Blue 

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 8, 2017, 20:56:
Also, how the hell long are we supposed to be believe Star Lord's cassette tapes have lasted, 35+ years of constant playing(probably) while being carried around in various combat situations? Least believable part of the movie!

You saw the scene of Rocket restoring the ship with some sort of repair ray? That thing can probably refresh a cassette tape in low-power mode.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 20:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hump wrote on May 8, 2017, 19:32:
re: GothG2 ...I liked it as well but the storline got a little emotionally heavy at the end. I didn't expect to get teary-eyed at such a movie.

The balance of humor and action couldve been better. I dont like being emotionally manipulated.

I mostly agree with this, I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, thought it was very well done overall, but definitely quite a bit more forced tear jerker type scenes than was probably needed. Of course the family focused plot may have led to this... oh well.

Especially if you're familiar with the original or even revamped comic characters... Gamorra and Nebula don't sit around crying, ffs.

Also, how the hell long are we supposed to be believe Star Lord's cassette tapes have lasted, 35+ years of constant playing(probably) while being carried around in various combat situations? Least believable part of the movie!

Disclosure: I saw the 3D version, non IMAX, there was some nice layering/depth added by the 3D, but you could easily just go see it in a high res 2D version and not miss the 3D at all.

26. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 19:32 Hump

re: GothG2 ...I liked it as well but the storline got a little emotionally heavy at the end. I didn't expect to get teary-eyed at such a movie.

The balance of humor and action couldve been better. I dont like being emotionally manipulated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 17:43 Beamer

Rigs wrote on May 8, 2017, 17:20:
Last movie I watched in the theater was Deadpool (along with my daughter and her not-date...long story) and it would have been fine but for the kids. Yeah, no lie, there were more kids in watching it then I could have ever suspected would be able to sneak in! Apparently, from what I gathered from an overheard convo of another concerned adult and the manager was that the kids were his own family and they had given the ok for them to watch it, even though it was (a hard) 'R'. I mean, none of them were under 10 but shit! I didn't approve at all and I almost went down to complain but the woman conversing with him got pretty loud for me. Not that it mattered, the kids stayed. To their credit, I didn't hear any of them after the movie started. Still, I thought it was pretty shitty. 'Course this is the local theater in the middle of fucking nowhere, Florida, so what do you expect?

=-Rigs-=

I mean, they're the age that it would most appeal to, right? At around 10-12 my two favorite movies were The Toxic Avenger and Blown Away - the one with Nicole Eggert topless for 90 minutes, not the one with Tommy Lee Jones. I'd say both of those are worse for kids than Deadpool. Not that Deadpool is great, but those are probably particularly bad.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 17:20 Rigs

Last movie I watched in the theater was Deadpool (along with my daughter and her not-date...long story) and it would have been fine but for the kids. Yeah, no lie, there were more kids in watching it then I could have ever suspected would be able to sneak in! Apparently, from what I gathered from an overheard convo of another concerned adult and the manager was that the kids were his own family and they had given the ok for them to watch it, even though it was (a hard) 'R'. I mean, none of them were under 10 but shit! I didn't approve at all and I almost went down to complain but the woman conversing with him got pretty loud for me. Not that it mattered, the kids stayed. To their credit, I didn't hear any of them after the movie started. Still, I thought it was pretty shitty. 'Course this is the local theater in the middle of fucking nowhere, Florida, so what do you expect?

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

23. Re: Happy Birthday Wolfenstein 3D May 8, 2017, 15:26 Beamer

I enjoyed but didn't love Dr. Strange, and that imax is where I saw 300. Now it's where I think you get bed bugs, haha.  
-------------

22. Re: Happy Birthday Wolfenstein 3D May 8, 2017, 13:55 descender

Not even certain where a good one in NYC is

The Lincoln Square IMAX is basically one of the best places in the world to watch a movie... if it weren't for other people :p

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 13:50 BobBob

Beamer wrote on May 8, 2017, 13:37:
I somewhat agree with the anti-theater sentiment. Last movie I saw in theaters was Interstellar. I'm not against movies, I just rarely feel any desire to go. Not even certain where a good one in NYC is, though in Seattle I went to the big one somewhat frequently, and the tiny alcoholic one quite frequently. Just not part of my social life here.

Not that I watch movies often. I check On Demand once a month or so and rarely see a movie listed that I'd give two hours to. This summer may just be Guardians 2, John Wick 2, and Kingsman 2... I see a theme...

Doctor Strange has some academic value.

This comment was edited on May 8, 2017, 15:27.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 13:37 Beamer

I somewhat agree with the anti-theater sentiment. Last movie I saw in theaters was Interstellar. I'm not against movies, I just rarely feel any desire to go. Not even certain where a good one in NYC is, though in Seattle I went to the big one somewhat frequently, and the tiny alcoholic one quite frequently. Just not part of my social life here.

Not that I watch movies often. I check On Demand once a month or so and rarely see a movie listed that I'd give two hours to. This summer may just be Guardians 2, John Wick 2, and Kingsman 2... I see a theme...

-------------

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 13:08 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 8, 2017, 05:38:
jdreyer wrote on May 8, 2017, 03:46:
Just got back from GotG2. Freakin' awesome. So funny, so crazy, great action, amazing world building. Just an all-around great time. Totally recommend it.

Would adhere to the PG-13 rating though. It's not a kids movie, and lots of people die in gruesome ways, even more so than the first one.

Soo... the real question is, to 3d or not 3d?

I went 3D and it was good. I didn't notice more than a couple of shots where the diorama effect was in play. And there was also just a couple of shots where they threw shit in your face. There's one shot where Yondu's arrow comes right at you but it's appropriate for the scene. For the most part the 3d adds depth and it doesn't annoy and that's a good thing.

Stay a while, and listen.

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 12:29 RedEye9

BobBob wrote on May 8, 2017, 11:28:
Movie Theatre:

People coughing, people sniffling, people talking, people smelling, people texting, people crunching popcorn, people crinkling food wrappers, people slurping drinks, people's germs, shared restrooms, people's leftover trash, people's heads obstructing the view of the movie screen, people getting up and walking around.

Food and drink is expensive and typically 'junk food'.

Can't pause. Can't rewind. Can't stop and play at a later time. Can't rewatch without paying again. Can't enable subtitles. Can't adjust the volume. Can't adjust the screen. Can't change seating point of view, or screen angle. Can't cuddle with a loved one.

Home Theatre:

None of the above problems.

That sums up the movie theater experience en toto.

I decrease some of those annoyances by refraining from going on opening weekend and others by sacrificing a goat in the lobby.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 11:28 BobBob

Movie Theatre:

People coughing, people sniffling, people talking, people smelling, people texting, people crunching popcorn, people crinkling food wrappers, people slurping drinks, people's germs, shared restrooms, people's leftover trash, people's heads obstructing the view of the movie screen, people getting up and walking around.

Food and drink is expensive and typically 'junk food'.

Can't pause. Can't rewind. Can't stop and play at a later time. Can't rewatch without paying again. Can't enable subtitles. Can't adjust the volume. Can't adjust the screen. Can't change seating point of view, or screen angle. Can't cuddle with a loved one.

Home Theatre:

None of the above problems.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 09:57 Pigeon

Nucas wrote on May 8, 2017, 00:42:

plus this is ignoring that mike pence is less insane and more re-electable.

Actually I think he’s less (re)electable. Whatever siren’s song Trump has over, enough of, the electorate, I don’t think Pence can do that. So to us Pence seems like he should be more electable, but so did all of the other contenders in the Republican primary. Yet Trump is what they chose and Trump is what we got.

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 09:26 Peter M. Smith

I've stopped going to theaters that don't let me pick my seat when I buy the ticket. I can't see myself going back to that backwards process unless forced to either.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 09:13 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on May 7, 2017, 18:34:
France is proof that the world is rejecting the crazies, in ~1300 days America can do the same. Unless of course impeachment deprives the electorate of that noble task.
Was reading about this and saw Macron founded the party less than a year ago. THAT is what the US needs, the ability to form new political parties and to get them on the congressional and presidential ballots. Yes, it is possible currently, but it is so difficult...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

13. Re: Happy Birthday Wolfenstein 3D May 8, 2017, 08:44 descender

I wish there were more options for seeing it in IMAX but not in 3D.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 08:17 DarkV

Just got back from GotG2. Freakin' awesome. So funny, so crazy, great action, amazing world building. Just an all-around great time. Totally recommend it.

Would adhere to the PG-13 rating though. It's not a kids movie, and lots of people die in gruesome ways, even more so than the first one.

I'm Mary Poppins yo!

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 05:38 MoreLuckThanSkill

Soo... the real question is, to 3d or not 3d?

It wasn't shot in 3d, but supposedly it was planned for the 3d conversion? I'm leaning towards going go the 3d, but I'm almost at the coin flip stage.

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 03:46 jdreyer

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2017, 03:43 jdreyer

Nucas wrote on May 8, 2017, 00:42:

plus this is ignoring that mike pence is less insane and more re-electable.

What do you have against a guy that addresses his wife as "mother?"

I've read lots of stories about politicians and their quirks. Kennedy and Nixon had some weird shit going on. Poor self-hating "wide-stance" Larry Craig also comes to mind. But this Pence story seems like the tip of deep dark iceberg I want to know nothing more about.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo