Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Evening Metaverse May 4, 2017, 11:48 swedishfriend

Re: satellite questions...
1. The costs / benefits have been carefully calculated.

2. Timetable is 30 years to get the whole network up. Much sooner there will be enough satellites in the cluster to do worldwide backbone. Personal expensive worldwide connectivity will follow and then it will get cheaper as the cluster gets more filled in.

3. This is about showing it can be done and to raise money for the mars city. Elon has directly expressed that he was looking for ways to raise enough money to build and populate a city on mars and building this global network is one of the answers as to how he can raise that money.

4. this platform is designed to be cheap and easily replaceable and redundant. The older satellites will be replaced when technology gets better and cheaper and failures are easily worked around as the system is designed to be a cluster where components are constantly being replaced and updated as needed. We are talking mass manufactured small satellites that can be put into orbit in great numbers for each rocket launch.

Edit: Oh, and they are in a different, lower, orbit from most satellites. Hence you get lower latency but you need more satellites for worldwide coverage.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Evening Metaverse May 4, 2017, 09:20 Agent-Zero

you all are missing the point.. the sattelites are a means to an end, specifically furthering the business model of high-end R&D.. potentially corporate space exploration, etc.

they arent an end in themselves, they are fuel for the fire.. a bit of a backdoor into new areas, and i wouldnt be surprised if it was a trojan horse for passing new kinds of legislation that hasnt been considered yet - but certainly will be once tons of money and huge services are involved

6. Re: Evening Metaverse May 4, 2017, 07:21 Pr()ZaC

Or The Matrix biographical.  

5. Re: Evening Metaverse May 4, 2017, 04:31 DangerDog

It's starting to look like Wall-E was a documentary.  

4. Re: Evening Metaverse May 4, 2017, 01:23 jdreyer

Solar powered drones circling at 60,000 feet for months at a time are both faster and cheaper. I get that it doesn't give you global coverage, but it costs 10% of what it would to put up all those satellites.

Stay a while, and listen.

3. Re: SpaceX satellites May 3, 2017, 23:50 NetHead

Creston wrote on May 3, 2017, 22:52:
I usually never go against Elon Musk, because the guy is really, REALLY fucking smart and even his craziest ideas somehow make their way into reality, but 4500 satellites? And then 7500 more??? Ignoring the fact that that's 3 (or like 9 with the 7500 extra) times the current amount of satellites in the entire sky world-wide, how on earth does he ever expect this to become cost-efficient??

Not to mention bandwidth requirements/usages are still increasing and will continue to increase for a long time. It's not as if you can just send a van up there to retrofit 10000+ satellites to increase their bandwidth to keep them as useful.

Also how long would it take to get all of them up there. Just how often can they successfully get a satellite into orbit.

Now I've just woken up in the middle of the night, or morning, but I'm pretty sure this is going to take a loooong time. So 12000 satellites, can they somehow get one up every single day, 12000 days is over 30 years. What if it takes them 2 days to get each one up, etc.

Even just the group of 4500 is what 12 years at one every single day. Can they even build the satellites that fast.

How useful would the older ones previously put up be by the times they're complete.

Whats the lifespan for satellites? lol

Maybe this will make more sense to me tomorrow.

2. Re: SpaceX satellites May 3, 2017, 23:35 mag

Creston wrote on May 3, 2017, 22:52:
I usually never go against Elon Musk, because the guy is really, REALLY fucking smart and even his craziest ideas somehow make their way into reality, but 4500 satellites? And then 7500 more??? Ignoring the fact that that's 3 (or like 9 with the 7500 extra) times the current amount of satellites in the entire sky world-wide, how on earth does he ever expect this to become cost-efficient??

By holding all of the other satellite owners hostage! Say, that's a nice TV uplink you've got there. It'd be a shame if someone were to collide with it.

1. SpaceX satellites May 3, 2017, 22:52 Creston

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo